Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.

This is my favorite recipe for homemade classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake. Super-moist and full of flavor! I make this recipe all the time.

Here is my FAVORITE recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake!

Another springtime cake is sitting on my kitchen table today.

As I sit at my desk and see this outside, I’m desperately craving any and all things fruity. Apparently making fruity, luscious springtime cakes tricks my mind into thinking it’s actually pastel-wearing weather again? Flip-flop weather, blue jeans and t-shirt weather, floral scarf weather, flowy dress weather…

I’m diving head first into this super-moist pineapple cake with hot pink nail polish on my fingers and mint green on my clothes. I don’t care, it’s springtime inside this apartment.

Here is my favorite recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake!

My mom makes pineapple upside-down cake every year when spring rolls around. Sometimes mom does a little shortcut cake mix version when she’s elbow deep in other things. But this year, I’m bringing my homemade version to the table.

Pineapple upside-down cake battles apple pie as my #1 favorite dessert. I love both desserts, hands down, more than any other dessert on the planet. Serve both with some vanilla ice cream and I’m in heaven. This is my favorite homemade apple pie recipe if you’re curious. It goes without saying how much I am in love with this brown sugared, melt-in-your-mouth, buttery old-fashioned cake!

I developed a treasured standard vanilla cake recipe last year. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again: A basic vanilla cake recipe can take you far in life. Once you master the recipe, the doors to creative cake (and cupcake!) land are wide open. I’ve used my standard vanilla cake recipe to make all of the following recipes:

And today, I used it again to make my beloved pineapple upside-down cake.

Here is my favorite recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake!

The recipes starts out like your standard pineapple upside-down cake recipe. Melt some butter, pour it into your pan, top with a sprinkle of brown sugar, pineapple slices, and maraschino cherries. I like to use a ton of cherries. Just dot them wherever you see an empty space between all the pineapple rings. You can use fresh or canned pineapples. Canned are easiest (and cheapest!) for me this time of year.

This buttery, pineapple mixture will create the brown-sugared juicy topping to your cake when you flip it upside down before serving. It’s the best part of the entire cake, trust me. Not to mention – it’s gorgeous!

Top the pineapples with your vanilla cake batter. I used more brown sugar and less white sugar with this particular cake. I typically do 1/4 cup brown to 3/4 cup white. But since I love the combination of brown sugar and pineapple, I reversed those ratios to 3/4 cup brown and 1/4 cup white.

Bonus: no mixer required for today’s cake recipe!

Here is my favorite recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake!

Bake the cake until it’s beautifully golden on top. This cake is extra moist, so it will take a little longer than my usual vanilla cake recipe to bake. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40+ minutes. Mine took 41 minutes exactly.

As the cake bakes, the buttery brown sugar sauce will bubble up the sides, creating a buttery glaze on all sides of the cake. It’s absolutely the best part!

Let the cake cool for about 10 minutes after coming out of the oven. Then invert the cake onto your cake stand or a large serving plate. Watch the bubbly, brown sugar sauce drip down the sides. Lip-smackin’ good.

Here is my favorite recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake!

Slice. Serve. Fall in love!

Here is my favorite recipe for Pineapple Upside-Down Cake!

Pineapples and cherries are wonderful on their own, but pair them with vanilla, butter, brown sugar and you’ve got a whole new world of awesome. This is the kind of show-stopping cake you bake for friends, family, and guests. Trust me, you’ll want to have it around to impress all the dessert lovers in your life! While there may not be chocolate, a peanut butter swirl, candy bars sprinkled inside, or frosting on top – this crowd pleasing cake can hold its own. You will bake this cake every chance you get.

My one piece of advice? Make sure you have enough hungry tummies in your house or you will be tempted to eat the entire cake yourself. Your dentist (and spring wardrobe) will thank you.

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

Yield: serves 8

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 3 hours (includes cooling)

• 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
  • sliced pineapple (6-8 canned slices or use fresh)
  • 15-20 maraschino cherries

• 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) sifted all-purpose flour, careful not to overmeasure 1
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, room temperature preferred
  • 1/4 cup (60g) yogurt2
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) milk3
  • 1/4 (60ml) cup pineapple juice (reserved from the canned pineapple or use fresh)
  • 1 Tablespoon (15ml) vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
  2. Prepare topping first: Place 1/4 cup of melted butter into a 9-inch pie dish or 9x2 inch (deep dish) round cake pan. Make sure it is a deep pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Top with pineapple slices and arrange cherries between the pineapple slices. See my photo for a visual. Set aside.
  3. Prepare the cake: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Whisk in the sugars vigorously getting out any brown sugar lumps - mixture will be gritty. Whisk in egg, yogurt, milk, pineapple juice, and vanilla extract until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.
  4. Pour/spoon batter into prepared pan. Make sure it's not overflowing-- this recipe makes enough batter for your deep dish pan. If you find there is too much batter, make a couple cupcakes (20 minutes bake time) on the side. Bake for at 40-48 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil (loosely to avoid the top from sticking to the foil) at the 20 minute mark to avoid browning. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
  5. Invert cake on top of a cake stand or a large serving plate. Slice and serve warm, room temperature, or even cold. Try serving with vanilla ice cream - it's a delicious combination. Cover cake and store for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
  6. Make ahead tip: This isn't the best cake to make ahead of time because the pineapples will settle down into the cake- while still tasty, the presentation won't be as pleasing. You can, however, prepare the wet (cover and refrigerate) and dry ingredients (cover at room temperature) separately and bake the cake the day of. Let the wet ingredients come to room temperature before mixing.

I've made this cake more times than I can count. Here are my notes about varying ingredients.

1. This recipe has been tested with all-purpose flour and cake flour. Whichever flour you use, make sure it is sifted. If using cake flour, use 1 and 3/4 cups.
  2. Recipe tested with plain 0% Greek yogurt. Use any yogurt, Greek or regular - low fat or fat free, that you prefer. Sour cream works too! I've tested this recipe without yogurt as well. If you're out, use 3/4 cup milk and 1/4 cup pineapple juice.  You can also get away with 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup pineapple juice.
  3. This recipe has been tested with buttermilk, whole milk, and unsweetened almond milk. Use any milk, dairy or non, that you prefer.

A few more fruity cakes for ya:

Apple Upside-Down Cake

Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake

Lemon Blueberry Layer Cake

Sally's Baking Addiction | Delicious Lemon Blueberry Layer Cake!

Fruit Pizza

Sally's Baking Addiction Fruit Pizza

Cranberry Apple Upside-Down Cake

Cranberry Apple Cake

Favorite recipe for classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake!

240 Responses to “Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.”

Stephanie P.posted December 7, 2014 at 7:19 pm

Hi Sally.
    I was wondering if this recipe could be used to make cupcakes?
    Thank you.

• Sallyreplied on December 7th, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Definitely. I’m unsure of the exact bake time (maybe around 18-20 minutes).

Lisa Vicekposted December 10, 2014 at 7:33 am

I made this for my Dad’s 85th Birthday yesterday and it was delicious but a little pudding like. I baked it 40 minutes, then 10 more, then 10 more. My tester finally came out clean and I turned the oven off and left it in while the oven cooled. It cooled and flipped perfectly! Was beautiful until it had been out on the platter all day when it sunk in the middle.
    Does anyone have any hints on how long to bake this…higher temperature maybe? I did sift the four and measured exactly.
    My IPad won’t copy the picture here.

• Anitareplied on October 9th, 2015 at 8:43 pm

I had the same problem. Had it in there for 48 minutes, added another 10 minutes, then turned the oven off and left it in for 10 minutes. It could be the altitude. I am at 5300 feet.

• Phoebereplied on October 25th, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Me too, I had 40mins then added 10mins, then another 10mins, later on 15mins and last 15mins.

Is the oven temperature 177degree too cold for winter?

The cake is too sugary. I will try to reduce the brown sugar next time.

Sheldon Lockhartposted December 13, 2014 at 11:21 pm

I found your recipe on Pinterest and can not wait to make it for Christmas but because our family gathering is so large I would like to make it in a 9×13 rectangular pan. Should I just double the recipe, or what would be your suggestion?

• Sallyreplied on December 14th, 2014 at 2:40 pm

I fear there will be way too much cake batter if you doubled the recipe for one 9×13 pan. I would double the recipe, fill the pan only about halfway with the batter and use extra for cupcakes (about 18-20 minutes bake time for the cupcakes). I’m unsure of the bake time for the 9×13 cake.

• Sheldon Lockhartreplied on December 28th, 2014 at 10:47 am

I did as you suggested and made the cake for Christmas. I changed it a little by using coconut milk rather than regular milk and added coconut to the topping to make it an upside down pina colada cake. I had to bake it approximately 1 hr 20 minutes until it tested done. It came out PERFECTLY!!!! I had enough batter left to make 5 Pina Colada Upside Down cupcakes also!! This recipe is a keeper!!!

Ashley Jonesposted January 3, 2015 at 6:00 pm

This is by far the best pineapple upside down cake recipe I have found. I made it for Christmas this year and my family absolutely loved it! Thank you for sharing this!

Anne S.posted January 6, 2015 at 9:53 pm

This is a great recipe for upside down pineapple cake! I made this for the first time yesterday and served it at a birthday celebration. Everyone loved this cake!

It came together well. I weighed all ingredients that had weights listed and baked it in a 9,5×2″ Pyrex Grip Rite pie dish. The amount of dough was perfect for this dish. I waited until the cake started to brown before I covered it with foil. It took about 15min longer than listed to bake it, but it turned out perfect!

I went to enter the recipe on MyFitnessPal and was really positively surprised. It tastes way higher in calories and fat than it actually is!

I will be making this many more times! Thank you for this wonderful recipe!!

• Anne S.replied on January 27th, 2015 at 8:38 am

I have now made this cake a total of 5 times now for different parties and everyone loves it! Thanks again!

janetposted January 10, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Can this be made in a Springform pan?

• Sallyreplied on January 11th, 2015 at 10:04 pm

I’m sure it could, but I am unsure how the pineapples will stay put and of the baking time.

• Monicareplied on February 27th, 2015 at 12:59 pm

No, definitely not I tried but the butter leaked through D:

Jenniferposted January 19, 2015 at 8:52 pm

My husband has been dying for a Pineapple Upside Down Cake. I promised him one for his 40th B-day and the his Mother said she would make him one and ended up making him nothing at all. So ever since I have been trying to make up for it. THIS DID IT!! Your recipes never fail me and even I, who does not really like Pineapples had to eat this cake and thought it was delicious! Thank you so much!!

Jeanette Agnewposted January 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Just wondering if I can substitute peaches in this recipe as my Hubby does not care for pineapple….

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2015 at 2:40 pm

That would be fine.

Spinnin Jennyposted January 22, 2015 at 2:29 pm

I have always made my pineapple upside-down cakes in a #8 iron skillet. It’s deep, and is able to hold the fruit & pecans (from our yard in GA) and the batter. It’s what my Mom used. The recipe my Mom used came from a 1930’s cook booklet from Spry Shortening. Spry shortening is no longer available, but the recipes are wonderful!

Once I was listening way too much to a Beatle’s album, and reversed everything!! I put the batter in the bottom, brown sugar, the pineapple, cherries, and pecans on top!! I baked it anyway. and it tasted good, but my family has never forgotten my right-side up pineapple upside-down cake!

Juliet Beckmanposted January 24, 2015 at 9:35 am

Hi, this would be my first time ever attempting to make a pineapple upside down cake and I want to make sure its perfect and I do it correctly. Im a little confused about how you prepared the topping- from what ive heard and other videos on making this cake, the brown sugar and butter were melted on the stove top and then the pineapples were arranged on the top, and then the batter was added. In your directions it doesn’t say anywhere to mix the brown sugar with the melted butter. How does this work? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on January 24th, 2015 at 1:13 pm

I melt the butter and sprinkle the brown sugar on top. Saves a step and still achieves the same great taste in my opinion.

Suzannaposted January 25, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Here I am, wearing mint green and longing for spring, looking for an upside-down pineapple cake and I came across yours! Perfect Sunday treat as I get ready to watch the Great British Bake Show, cake in hand, this evening. Thank you for sharing your lovely recipe! Suzanna

Fatemaposted February 7, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Can I use cream cheese insted of yogurt in the cake?

Jeanette Agnewposted February 9, 2015 at 11:46 am

I have baked this recipe twice in the past month and swapped out the Pineapple for Peaches at the request of my guy….It is now the new favourite in our home..Love it you are correct as usual regarding the large deep baking dish..I will have to get a deeper one as the spill over is too much still. Still love it. Thanks so much

Samrudhi Maheshposted February 12, 2015 at 9:19 am

hey Sally, love all ur recipes… just wanted to ask cud i make this with a sef raising flour.. and if i am using it hw much should i add baking powder and baking soda?????

Amalposted February 24, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I cannot thank you enough for this recipe, it is simply DELICH. I baked this twice, TWO DAYS IN A ROW that how good this cake was. My cake didnt over flow because i used a different size pan slightly bigger i guess and it didnt rise much also i dont know why. Other than that it was soft and the sugar sauce formed at the bottom seeped through the cake and it made it taste even better (its making me drool now :P). I LOVED IT. thus recipe is a keeper.
    THank u so so so much. 😀

Mariaposted March 5, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Hi Sally. Question for you. This looks beautiful and yummy and I’d like to try it out at a family dinner I’ll be hosting in a few days. Problem is, the dinner is right after work, so most everything will have to be cooked a day or two in advance, taken out of the fridge and warmed on the day of. So I was wondering, is it possible to make the batter beforehand and refrigerate it? And if assuming that’s ok to do, then I would wait for the batter to warm up to room temp before baking, yes? I see above that you can bake it and store it for a day, but there’s nothing like freshly baked cake. :) Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on March 7th, 2015 at 8:25 am

Maria, this cake really is best the day it is made. I find the pineapples settle and the topping doesn’t look quite as glamorous by day 2. You cannot make the batter ahead of time because the baking powder begins reacting when combined with the wet ingredients. You can, however, prepare the wet (cover and refrigerate) and dry ingredients (cover at room temperature) separately and bake the cake the day of. I would let the wet ingredients come to room temperature before mixing.

Carlyposted March 10, 2015 at 11:59 pm

I am going to be making this cake on Easter. I was just wondering if the brown sugar needs to be packed? Can’t wait to try it!

• Sallyreplied on March 11th, 2015 at 9:07 am

Yep! For my recipes, brown sugar is always packed.

Feliciaposted March 26, 2015 at 1:57 pm

I made this cake for my boyfriend it turned out very very dense and heavy I’m not sure if it was meant to be like that or if I did something wrong during the baking process to make it that way

Maggie Nguyenposted March 26, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Hi Sally, do you know if it’s okay to make this the night before? I’m planning to bring it to dinner at a friend but I won’t have time during the day to make it… Thanks!

• Maggie Nguyenreplied on March 26th, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Oops, found the answer in the post above. Thanks!

Graceposted March 27, 2015 at 11:50 am

Hi Sally! I made this cake for my grandma’s birthday yesterday and it was very scrumptious! I made it in a cast iron skillet because that’s my grandma’s secret way of baking a pineapple upside down cake! The crumb was super moist and flavorful and the topping was to die for! Thank you so much! :)

• Lizzie Croomreplied on March 30th, 2015 at 1:20 pm

What size cast iron did you use?

Cateposted March 28, 2015 at 7:36 am

This was delicious! I’m not usually a fan of pineapple cake, but yours is worth making again! I had fresh pineapple that needed to be used so decided to try this recipe & so glad that I did. I baked it in a cast iron skillet which helps carmelize the fruit even more, I think. The kids liked it too, and it warranted a trip to the grocery store on day 2 to buy vanilla ice cream to eat with the leftovers. Thank you, Sally!

• Staceyreplied on April 17th, 2015 at 2:30 pm

hey! I love the idea of baking it in a cast iron. that a great way take this recipe camping.

Carlyposted April 1, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Can I make this in a springform pan?! Making this on Easter Sunday. I bought a springform pan for your carrot cake im also making so I was wondering if I could use it for this as well.

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Carly, I had a reader try this cake in a springform pan and she said the butter from the topping leaked everywhere. I am just unsure of its presentation. I don’t recommend it.

• Carlyreplied on April 1st, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Thanks so much! my pie dish I plan on using now is 2 inches deep is that fine?

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2015 at 8:33 am

Yes that’s fine!

• Eddiereplied on June 5th, 2015 at 8:25 am

I have tried this with a springform pan and it worked. Just layer with sugar, pineapple slices and cherries (leave out butter). Sally, your blog is awesome. Will get your book soon! Best wishes.

Maryposted April 6, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Great cake recipe, really liked the simplicity of the batter. Made it for Easter.Used dark sweet cherries that I had in the freezer, and substituted 2/3 c. flour for almond flour… worked great with your base recipe.

• GoGo LaTatareplied on April 11th, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Curious… Why did you use almond flour, and what effect did it have on the texture of the cake? Can coconut or rice flours also be substituted?
      Wishing I had taken the baking course at culinary school!

Chrissyposted April 10, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I made this for a family member who absolutely adores Pineapple Upside Down Cake and it was a hit! It was delicious and presented beautifully! I used a deep dish glass pie plate and placed the pineapple and cherries just as shown. Be certain to put this on a parchment lined cookie sheet as it will bubble over. I used sour cream in place of the yogurt and buttermilk in place of the milk. This cake is very moist and not too sweet, with almost a creamy texture. I will use this as my go to recipe from now on…no need to look any further. Please, I encourage you to make this cake…you won’t be disappointed. : ) Thank you Sally!

Lexiposted April 12, 2015 at 3:04 pm

I didn’t have sliced pineapple so I used crushed pineapple. I’m not a fan of cherries so I did not add them. This was really good though!

Staceyposted April 17, 2015 at 2:29 pm

hey! I have made this cake two times now. one with fresh pineapple and one with canned pineapple. I found that the fresh pineapple left a wonder flavor and texture to my cake, but when I tried the canned it didn’t come out the same. I also instead of using yogurt I use mascarpone. It was delicious at every level. thank you so much for the recipe. (:

Susan Clampposted April 21, 2015 at 10:16 pm

I have made this twice now and LOVE IT !!! I used apricots the second time at my Husbands request and it was wonderful. I would not change a thing in your recipe !

Steveposted April 25, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Hi Sally:

My cake was yummy, but my family is afraid to eat it as there is 300g of various sugars in this cake, plus 175g of butter all in a 9″ cake. It was a bit wet/rich inside so I had to keep cooking it for 50 minutes to dry it out.

Is it possible to make this cake healthier? Diabetes runs in my family.

rochelle rochelleposted April 28, 2015 at 11:18 am

I was wondering if I could make this cake in a bundt pan?

Clarissaposted April 30, 2015 at 3:23 pm

Made this with 1/4 cup vegetable oil in place of the egg,My son has a egg allergy. It Turned out great!!

laurenposted May 18, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Heya Sally!

This is the recipe that started MY addiction to Sally’s Addiction. I have made this three times, each time with pineapple flavored yogurt and buttermilk ( I could’ve swore you originally said only to use buttermilk in this) and every time it’s been SO delicious and really beautiful. Sadly, I gave away two of my three made as gifts but they were extremely well received. I have since then always checked your site before any others when looking for a dessert recipe.

(as a side note- for my first cake I didn’t realize until too late that I didn’t have aluminium foil so I just cut a sheet of parchment and placed it over the top. Of all three I made the parchment one burned the least and looked the best.)

• Sallyreplied on May 18th, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Thank you so much for reporting back Lauren, I’m glad you love my recipes!

Ashleyposted May 23, 2015 at 11:31 pm

I made this today with fresh pineapple. The flavors were really good and the cake was light and moist. Like several others have said, this took much longer than 40 minutes to bake. Mine took 1 hour. I suspect that because the author only used part of the batter in the pan and the rest for cupcakes, that her cake was thinner and therefore baked quicker then if she had used all the batter in one pan. Keep this in mine if you make this cake (and you should because it was yummy).

Jessicaposted June 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Hi Sally or anyone who has the answer :)
    Ingredient – yogurt is plain.. Greek?

Thank you!!

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2015 at 7:14 am

See recipe note– enjoy!

Toniposted June 12, 2015 at 8:45 pm

I have this in the oven now. The batter tastes REALLY good! I’ve tried many of you’re recipes and love them all. I too have a baking addiction- I have the thighs to prove it lol.

• Tonireplied on June 12th, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Your* I can’t spell when I have cake on the brain.

• Sallyreplied on June 13th, 2015 at 9:11 am

Hahahahaha. Well Toni, I hope you love this cake as much as my family does.

Janetposted June 17, 2015 at 11:27 am

Loved this recipe! I used wheat flour (1 1/3 cups) and thought it was still delicious though definitely heartier. Also put crushed pecans around the pineapple and cherries. I didn’t cover with foil and nothing burned or dried out, was done in about 42 minutes and was still very moist … do put a cookie sheet below as it did bubble over a normal 9″ round. Thanks Sally, can’t wait to try more of your recipes!

katieposted June 27, 2015 at 2:24 am

Hi Sally! Would you recommend using a Cast Iron Skillet ( I have the “Lodge” brand) for this recipe? I have seen other pineapple upside down cake recipes that use a cast iron skillet and was wondering if could possibly use that for this cake. Thanks!!!

• Sallyreplied on June 27th, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Katie– yes, you can make this in your Lodge cast iron skillet!

Theresa @ Two Much Funposted July 1, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Oh my goodness!  This was fantastic!  My husband who is not a fan of fruit in cake, LOVED this!  Your sponge was absolutely delicious.  For those of your readers thinking about using a cast iron skillet, we did.  We baked it at 325 degrees for 40 minutes and it turned out wonderful!  We followed your recipe, using the cake flour option. It was tender, sweet – but not overly sweet, and moist.  The brown sugar and pineapple topping, was perfect!  We will definitely be making this again.  Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.  Pinning to make it again, and again, and again.

Lisca Meijerposted July 12, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I made this today for the first time. Wow! It was delish! Your vanilla cake recipe is certainly something I’ll do again and improvise upon. I followed the recipe exactly. I used bicarbonate soda for baking soda, assuming it is the same thing…
    I made this times one and a half as my tin is bigger.
    My cake was a darker color on top as the sugars caramelized quite a bit. But it was yummy all the same.
    Thank you so much for adding metric measurements. I can’t get my head around using a cup, I prefer to weigh everything.
    Lisca (in Spain)

Laketta Hubertposted August 19, 2015 at 2:30 pm

I love your recipes! I am eager to try your pineapple upside down cake but I would like to make them into cupcakes. How many cupcakes do you think this recipe will make? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Hi Laketta- around 12-14 cupcakes.

Samanthaposted September 12, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Great recipe. Thanks for using grams too as we don’t use cups in the UK. I also brushed a bit of excess pineapple juice mixed with light brown sugar on the base while cooking and over the top once I had taken it out of the tin. Made it for the second week running!

Sarahposted September 24, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Oh my goodness! I just made this cake for a family function! Totally perfect. I followed the instructions exactly and got a perfect cake. I wish I could post the pic. Yes, I most certainly took a pic of it! It’s beautiful and so delicious! Thank you Sally!!!

peggy carrposted October 10, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Wow, this is a great cake. I had never ever made a pineapple upside down cake in my life.  A friend wanted one for her 60th Bday party.  I made the cake and then another batch for cup cakes. Everything turned out so good!! I especially loved the little cupcakes; I will make this recipe again & again. Just loved it. Made it exactly the way you recommended.  Did need to back it a little longer.   The cupcakes were exactly 20 minutes.

Thank-you for all the praise I received today from this lovely recipe!!!

Rachelposted October 16, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Hey Sally! I see that overflow can be a problem is you are using a standard pie dish. How far should you fill it up with batter to avoid spill? Would cutting the recipe in half not make enough batter?

• Sallyreplied on October 17th, 2015 at 9:28 am

I’ve never had a spilling issue in my deep dish pie dishes. You may certainly halve the batter recipe or you can fill the pie dish halfway with batter. Perhaps make two cakes if you’d like then?

Mrs. Kia Smithposted November 18, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I was in the middle of making this cake and I noticed that the recipe for the batter says to melt the butter however I never stated when to add the butter into the mixture of the batter. I can only assume that we are to cream the butter and sugars together since that is what is typically done in cakes. Hope it comes our right.

• Sallyreplied on November 18th, 2015 at 3:16 pm

In step 3, the recipe states to whisk the sugars, then egg + remaining ingredients into the melted butter.

Lianeposted November 20, 2015 at 5:34 pm

So I made a rookie mistake and accidentally left out the milk.  I’m still confused about how, not only am I a pretty decent baker, but I also read twice, and then referenced the recipe while combining ingredients, but I’ve been known to be a ditz occasionally.  I’d doubled the recipe for a 9×13 pan, since I had extra pineapple as well, so an entire cup of milk was missed.  Any chance it’s not a dry, crumbly mess?

It’s currently in the oven.  *sigh*  wish me luck.

• Sallyreplied on November 21st, 2015 at 9:10 am

The cake will be incredibly dense and a little dry. Definitely needs the milk.

• Lianereplied on November 23rd, 2015 at 5:23 pm

So, it actually turned out better than I expected.  It was slightly dense, and had it been a traditional vanilla cake with frosting, I probably wouldn’t have been happy with the results.  As it was, the density wasn’t much of an issue, and actually complimented the syrupy pineapple quite nicely.  Dryness wasn’t a factor at all; it was still very moist.  Maybe because of extra thick, fresh pineapple slices?

10/10 will make this again.  It’s the mark if a truly fabulous recipe when something goes horribly wrong and the end product is still amazing.

And when I use this recipe for cake with frosting I will definitely remember the milk.