Chocolate Frosted Donuts.

These chocolate frosted donuts are baked, not fried – and are so simple to make! Cover them completely in sprinkles and you’ll find yourself eating more than just one.

These Chocolate Frosted Donuts are baked, not fried - and they are SO easy to make! One of my best recipes.

I saved one of the best recipes I have ever, ever made for this morning. It’s bright and sunny outside, the birds are chirping, my allergies are in full force (though these donuts do help), and it’s time for some major chocolate sprinkle donut action.

TGI-freaking-F. Shouldn’t sprinkles be apart of breakfast everyday? Amen.

These soft, moist, and cakey Chocolate Frosted Donuts are baked not fried - and they are so easy to make!

When I was little, my family and I would travel to Michigan each summer to visit my grandparents. My whole family is from Grand Rapids, so we spent a good amount of time there in the summer. My grandparents had acres and acres of land, a pond, a pool (with a slide!!), and enough candy to make any dentist cringe.

My sisters and I would help my grandma garden, splash in the pool, play with our cousins, feed stale bread to the fish in the pond, shuck corn, and eat my grandma’s homemade jam. One of my favorite memories I have is always waking up to a box of donuts on the kitchen table. All different kinds – apple fritters, jam-filled, cinnamon-sugar, and chocolate frosted with sprinkles. It was nice to have grandma take a break in the kitchen and enjoy some store-bought breakfast with us.

Can you guess which donuts I always grabbed first?! Answer should be easy…

Though they are both no longer with us, every time I see a chocolate sprinkled donut – I think of those mornings. And I’ve had chocolate frosted donuts on my to-do list for quite some time. Some people have chore on their to-do lists; I have donuts.

Welcome to my incredibly crazy world

For these gorgeous donuts, I used my tried-and-true baked donut recipe. That’s right, today’s donuts are made in the oven – not the fryer. You may recognize my favorite donut recipe – I used it to make powdered sugar donuts (recipe is in my cookbook) and to make Baked Funfetti Donuts. I made a couple slight changes to the recipe, like adding a little brown sugar for extra flavor and rich chocolate ganache on top.

We’ll get to the ganache in a minute!

The BEST baked doughnuts! Covered in a rich, smooth chocolate ganache of course. Everyone loved these!

Making donuts is so easy! Easier than cookies, cupcakes, cakes, and muffins. First, you’ll need a donut pan. Here is the 6-count donut pan I own. Alternatively, you could use a muffin pan instead. The baking time would be a little longer.

Here’s my little trick: once the thick donut batter is all mixed together, simply spoon it into a large zipped-top bag and pipe it into the donut cavities through a little corner you’ll cut out. It sounds weird, but it’s the easiest way to get the donut batter neatly into the donut pan. Plus, it’s easy clean up! I fill the bag similar to how I fill a piping bag for frosting (using a large cup, shown here).

Baked donuts are quite quick – they take about 9-10 minutes, tops. Once they come out of the oven, make a simple chocolate ganache and dunk the donuts directly into it to frost.

Chocolate Frosted Donuts with Sprinkles by

Let’s chat about the rich, smooth, velvety ganache for a sec. It’s simply made from chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup (for shine), and a splash of water. Melt it all together and there ya go. 1 minute chocolate glaze, I call it.

I’ll go ahead and eat this by the spoonful. Brb.

Chocolate Ganache for Chocolate Frosted Donuts - recipe on

Adding the sprinkles is optional… but not in this house. I dunked the chocolate frosted donuts directly into a bowl of sprinkles to coat every corner of the top. The more sprinkles, the better. We wouldn’t have it any other way on Sally’s Baking Addiction.

I made these on Wednesday and they were gone by Thursday morning. I brought a couple over to Erin’s place and she said they are the best thing I’ve ever baked. And she taste tested my entire blog for the first year of its life. Now that’s saying something!

Soft, cakey, moist vanilla donuts with a heavy dunk of rich chocolate glaze and an even heavier dunk in sprinkles – your mind is about to be blown.  For breakfast, dessert, snack, second dessert, whatever… these simple chocolate frosted donuts must be tried.

I’m so glad I finally got around to making these nostalgic little treats. Enjoy!

Chocolate Frosted Donuts

Yield: 8 donuts

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

These chocolate frosted donuts are baked, not fried - and are so simple to make! Cover them completely in sprinkles and you'll find yourself eating more than just one.

• 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (gives them that "bakery donut" taste)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup (65g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) milk1
  • 1/4 cup (60g) Greek yogurt2
  • 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Chocolate Glaze

• 1/2 cup (90g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter
  • 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • rainbow sprinkles

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray a donut pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
  2. Make the donuts: Whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  3. Whisk the egg, brown sugar, milk, and yogurt together until smooth. Add the melted butter and vanilla, whisking until fully combined. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not overmix. The batter will be very thick.
  4. Spoon the batter into the donut cavities—I highly recommend using a large zipped-top bag for ease, as pictured and explained in detail above. Cut a corner off the bottom of the bag and pipe the batter into each donut cup, filling 2 ∕ 3 –3 ∕ 4 of the way full.
  5. Bake for 9–10 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Remove from the pan and bake the remaining donut batter. Allow the donuts to slightly cool before glazing.
  6. Make the chocolate glaze: Place the chocolate chips, butter, corn syrup, and water in a medium bowl. Melt in 20 second increments in the microwave, stirring after each time, until completely melted and smooth. Dip the tops of the donuts into the chocolate glaze and then cover with sprinkles. I simply poured the sprinkles into a deep bowl and dipped the tops of the donuts into it. You'll likely have leftover ganache. It's great on ice cream!
  7. Donuts taste best eaten the same day, though they may be covered tightly and stored at room temperature for 2 days.
  8. Make ahead tip: You can freeze the unfrosted donuts for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, warm up to your liking in the microwave, and top with glaze.

You can make this recipe into 8-10 muffins using a muffin pan. Bake at the same temperature for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.

1. Skim milk, 1%, 2%, whole, almond milk, soy milk, or coconut milk is OK.
  2. Nonfat, low fat, vanilla, plain, Greek or regular yogurt is OK. Sour cream works too!

Try my Baked Cinnamon Donuts with Vanilla Glaze next!

Baked Cinnamon Bun Donuts

and the ALWAYS loved Baked Funfetti Donuts.

Baked Funfetti Donuts. These taste just like your favorite sprinkled donuts at the bakery. And they're so simple to make at home!

My favorite homemade doughnuts! Cover them in a rich, super easy chocolate ganache and tons of rainbow sprinkles. This is a recipe to hold onto!

188 Responses to “Chocolate Frosted Donuts.”

Cindyposted January 6, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Can this batter made a day ahead, then baked the next morning? I have my niece and nephew this weekend and would love to make them these donuts.

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Unfortunately, no. Once the leaveners and liquid are combined, the batter must be baked. You may certainly mix the dry ingredients together and the wet ingredients together separately ahead of time. When ready to bake, mix them together and bake as instructed in the recipe.

Kimposted January 6, 2015 at 2:35 pm

I made the glaze only. So delicious and couldn’t be easier! Thank you!

Karenposted January 13, 2015 at 11:50 pm

Very nice recipe, just put all the batter into the six! Is there an easy way to turn these into chocolate donuts?

Brooke Calitriposted February 10, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Hey Sally! I am in awe of your passion to bake, huge fan! Being a chocoholic, I am dying to make a double chocolate version of this! How could I adapt the recipe to do so? Also, maybe a blueberry doughnut?

• Sallyreplied on February 10th, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Brooke, I would make this recipe for glazed chocolate donut holes:

Instead of the donut holes, just use a regular size donut pan like I do here in the chocolate frosted donuts recipe. For a blueberry version, how about just adding blueberries to this batter? And maybe using the white glaze from the chocolate donut holes recipe I just linked.

Natalie Munroeposted February 10, 2015 at 3:04 pm

My girls LOVE your donuts (their absolute favorite recipe of yours is the powdered donuts–so simple, yet so tasty-go figure!). I think they’d like these, too, but I was thinking I’d like to do some of them with a white icing. Do you know if I could substitute the chocolate chips with the white chocolate morsels and follow the above frosting recipe as is otherwise? I know the white morsels are kind of a different consistency so I’m not sure it would work. Hmmm…

Annaposted February 17, 2015 at 10:18 pm

hI sally I only have a MINI doughnut pan – do you think these would work in it ? How should I change the baking time ? And also I will have to put one batch in and then do the left over batter after that batch is done – will this be ok ? Thanks for all your help sally

• Sallyreplied on February 18th, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Absolutely! I am unsure of the bake time– it will be just a little shorter. You may bake one batch at a time with 1 pan, yes.

Saraposted February 20, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I try not to use dairy, do you have something else to use besides the yogurt?

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2015 at 2:40 pm

mashed banana or unsweetened applesauce would be great.

Melissaposted February 23, 2015 at 7:43 am

Hi Sally! I just made these today. The only thing I tweaked was the amount of yogurt in the recipe.i added 2tbsp more.(My sister taught me how to make homemade yogurt so i have lots.) I love these donuts! The taste reminds me of the U.S. Donuts here in my country do not usually have nutmeg.These donuts are light and fluffy, and not too sweet. Great recipe!!! Thanks again!

Sereneposted February 25, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Wow! These look amazing, I recently got a mini doughnut maker and have been searching non-stop for a good recipe, these look so good! However the batter needs to be fairly thin, actually at the point where you can just kind of pour it in. Is there any way I could get this consistency without changing the flavor of the doughnuts too much?

Jessica @ Bikini Bakerposted May 23, 2015 at 8:31 am

You’re my go-to for anything sweet and I knew you would have a donut recipe for me! But I’m so happy I read your post because my mom’s family is from the Flint, MI area and I also have amazing memories of spending my childhood up there. My grandpa always brought home nutty donuts, but if we didn’t eat them quickly, he would gobble them up. Guess he passed down his sweet tooth. 😉

Anyway, I have a question–I got a mini donut pan as a gift. What do you recommend for the baking time/temp? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on May 24th, 2015 at 10:56 am

So sweet! For the mini donuts – the baking time will be very quick. 6-7 minutes or so?

mpitposted June 2, 2015 at 12:05 pm

DO NOT PUT WATER IN CHOCOLATE!!!!!  Adding water to chocolate will make the chocolate seize, making a crumby mess of grossness.  If you want to make ganache, mix 1 part melted chocolate with 1 part heavy cream (35% or higher).  TRUST ME ON THIS.

• Sallyreplied on June 2nd, 2015 at 12:10 pm

When mixed with fat (butter), the chocolate will not seize. Also, chocolate chips are not pure chocolate.

Patrickposted June 2, 2015 at 11:33 pm

Hey Sally! I always loved the idea of healthier desserts and doughnuts have been a strict priority on my list as it could be made into a number of options like cakes! But my question is could this recipe be any healthier while maintaining a perfect ‘Doughnut’ like blend? My research on the so called ‘Fronut’ calls for Rice Flour and Almond meal/flour *Aka gluten free products*. Hope to see and hear nice results!

• Sallyreplied on June 3rd, 2015 at 7:58 am

I’m actually unsure- have never tested this recipe out with GF alternatives. Let me know what you try!

Laurieposted June 7, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I bought a mini muffin pan the other day and made these for my husband.  He LOVES plain donut holes with no frosting, etc. so I thought I would use the batter part of this recipe and make donut holes for him.  They were Amazing!  The flavor is EXACTLY like bakery donuts.  He said these were even better than store-bought ones I usually get him (and he’s kind of a picky eater!).

I am so glad I tried this recipe!  By the way, I made one of your skinny chocolate muffin recipes for myself at the same time!

p.s.  months ago I had asked you for a bran muffin recipe, and you directed me to another web site.  I tried that one and it was very good!  thx.

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2015 at 9:45 am

Laurie, I’m so glad that this recipe as well as my chocolate muffin recipe were two hits! And I’m so glad you tried the bran muffins too. Thank you for reporting back!

Shaniaposted June 10, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hi Sally, I don’t have any donut pan at home and it’s not available on the nearest stores. Will it be ok if I don’t use donut pan and just use a regular sheet baking pan instead?
    Thank you!!

• Sallyreplied on June 10th, 2015 at 4:21 pm

A muffin pan is best–see recipe note.

Lindaposted July 27, 2015 at 1:45 pm

thank you for all these wonderful recipes and the most helpful hint.
    I love to bake but they are slow eating it around here so i dont get to bake as much as i would like so my baking soda and baking powder are about a year old. I went to google and aksed if there was a way to test them to see if they are still good and found this place… I tried the test and my stuff is still good. I know its best to use fresh but i cant afford to waste what i have and i have never ever had a problem.

Danielleposted August 5, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe! My 13 year old daughter just made these all on her own! She only had one substitution- sour cream for the yogurt.  She baked mini doughnuts in her Babycakes doughnut maker.  They were great!!! They disappeared VERY quickly! I just found your website! I can’t wait to check out some of your other recipes!

nancyposted August 16, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I made these yesterday and they are very good. I will definitely make them again, but next time I will just spoon the batter into the pan instead of piping it from a bag. A lot of the batter was wasted with the bag method, and I felt the donuts were a little rubbery due to being overmixed during the squeezing process. The recipe made 6 donuts in my Wilton pan with no batter left over. I didn’t want to make ganache because I knew I would eat it right from the pan so I frosted them with Nutella.

Amyposted September 20, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Couldyou by any chance fry the donuts?

• Sallyreplied on September 20th, 2015 at 5:02 pm

No. This batter is for baked cake donuts– classic fried donuts have a different type of batter and taste.

Amyposted September 21, 2015 at 1:25 pm

So do you have any recipe for fried donuts?

Anaposted October 31, 2015 at 8:24 am

Dear Sally,
    I love your recipes and I really want to the doughnut ones!

The only problem is that i don’t own a “doughnut pan” and I can’t find them where I live, I’ve been through amazon and other websites but I wanted your advise on the brand and if it’s better to buy a silicone pan or a metal one…

Thank you so much!

Tiffanyposted November 1, 2015 at 7:46 am

Could you just bake them in a normal tray? I know it wouldn’t come out the right shape, but I don’t care!

Cherieposted November 8, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Hi! Can I bake these ahead of time, like the day before, and serve these during breakfast the next day? :) (will it be dry?)