Award-Winning Zucchini Bread.

This classic recipe gets an upgrade with buttery oat streusel, brown sugar, chocolate chips, and lots of sweet spices. No wonder it won first place!

Super moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread with a buttery oat streusel, brown sugar, and lots of sweet spices. No wonder this recipe won first place!

I am SO excited to share this recipe with you! This award-winning zucchini bread recipe comes from Mr. Sally’s Baking Addiction himself. He definitely does not know I am calling him that, nor would he approve. He’s not reading, don’t worry.

Kevin is the man who came up with this recipe, bought me these the day they came out, and encouraged the glaze on these … he clearly knows his desserts. When we began dating and he learned about my sweet tooth, he shared this zucchini bread recipe with me.

When he was young, he entered it into the Maryland State Fair and it won 1st place. Knowing this makes me smile because Kevin is snowboarder and biker who sometimes rocks a mohawk and rides a motorcycle… and he likes to bake on the side.

If you make one zucchini bread recipe in your life, this has got to be it. It’s beyond simple, makes great leftovers, freezes well, and can easily be doubled, tripled, or even quadrupled to make multiple loaves. Use your bounty of zucchini this summer!

There is plenty of room for nuts or chocolate chips in this brown sugared, cinnamon-spiced zucchini bread recipe. I skipped the nuts and added more chocolate chips. And extra streusel. If someone asks, the answer is always extra extra extra streusel.

Even better? Try this recipe as muffins and prepare to have your mind! blown!

Super moist Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread Muffins with a buttery oat streusel, brown sugar, and lots of sweet spices. No wonder this recipe won first place!

The simple ingredients are all mixed together by hand – that’s right, give your heavy mixer a rest and put your arm muscles to work. When mixing, try to do so with a light hand. Avoid overmixing. I find that mixing too much easily gives this bread a tough texture. Not really what you’re looking for.

This chocolate chip zucchini bread is the moistest bread I’ve ever made. I’m not a fan of dry, bland bread (who is?) and each tender, flavorful slice is a far cry from it. You have all of that wet zucchini, brown sugar, egg, and oil to keep any dry crumbs away. The buttery oat streusel on top will melt down into the bread giving it a rich taste and texture – unlike any other zucchini bread you’ve ever had.

Feel free to skip the chocolate chips, but don’t skip that buttery streusel. Trust me!

Not to fret, you can’t taste vegetables. Rather, you taste rich, vanilla, buttery, cinnamon, chocolate chip brown sugar bread. The bread is soft, the oat streusel is aplenty, and the chocolate chips are melty. It’s a classic recipe made even better.

I like the muffins, Kevin prefers the bread. Try with a smear of peanut butter, a dollop of Nutella, with some melted butter, a cold slice or warm from the oven. Any way you try this award-winning recipe, I know you’ll be impressed.

Healthy bonus: I tried swapping half of the oil with applesauce and didn’t notice much of a difference as far as taste and texture goes! However, to avoid a rubbery texture, I would not swap any more than half of the oil for applesauce.

No one will realize you’re sneaking veggies into their dessert. 😉

Award-Winning Zucchini Bread and Muffins

Yield: 1 loaf or 10 muffins (can be easily doubled)

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes

This award-winning zucchini bread gets an upgrade with buttery oat streusel, brown sugar, melty chocolate chips, and lots of sweet flavors like cinnamon and vanilla. No wonder it won first place!

Brown Sugar Oat Streusel

• 2/3 cups (60g) old-fashioned or quick oats
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons (16g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, cold
  • optional: 1 Tablespoon (10g) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Zucchini Bread & Muffins

• 1 large egg, beaten
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) vegetable oil1
  • 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1 large)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • optional: 3/4 cup (135g) semi-sweet chocolate chips (or use pecans or walnuts)

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9x5 (or 8x4) loaf pan with nonstick spray. If making muffins, preheat oven to 425F degrees and spray a 12-count pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2. Make the streusel first by combining the oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and flour together in a medium bowl. Cut in the cold butter with two knives or a pasty cutter (preferred) - or you may use your hands. Mix until the streusel resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the chocolate chips with a spoon. Set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the beaten egg, brown sugar, granulated sugar, oil, zucchini, and vanilla until evenly combined. In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and chocolate chips together. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix with a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula until combined. Avoid overmixing.
  4. Spread batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake the bread for 20 minutes at 350F degrees. Remove from the oven and top with the streusel - press it down into the top. The reason you are adding it after 20 minutes is to prevent it from sinking to the bottom of the bread as it bakes. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I covered the bread loosely with aluminum foil after 35 total minutes to avoid the top from getting too brown. Allow bread to cool in the pan set on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before removing from the pan and serving.
  5. If making muffins, fill 9-10 muffin cups all the way to the top. Press the streusel into the tops of each muffin. Bake for 5 minutes at 425F degrees and, keeping the muffins in the oven, lower the oven temperature to 350F degrees and continue to bake for an additional 13-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before serving.
  6. Store leftover bread or muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
  7. Make ahead tip: Bread and muffins freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature before serving.

Recipe source: Quinn family recipe

1. Instead of vegetable oil, you may use canola oil or melted coconut oil. I find the recipe tastes best with vegetable oil. Healthy bonus: I tried swapping half of the oil with applesauce and didn't notice much of a difference as far as taste and texture goes! However, to avoid a rubbery texture, I would not swap any more than half of the oil for applesauce.

Try my Glazed Strawberry Bread next!

Glazed Strawberry Bread |

Or my Chocolate Chip Cinnamon-Swirl Bread

Cinnamon-Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread-3

See more bread & muffin recipes.

Simple Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins are my go-to in the summer!
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread-- this is my all-time favorite and it won 1st place!

213 Responses to “Award-Winning Zucchini Bread.”

Nancyposted May 13, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Wow these are awesome!I made these into muffins and tripled the recipe, they turned out great! I substituted half the oil for apple sauce as suggested and were delicious! My family can’t stop eating them! The topping is like eating the top of an apple crisp! Thank you for posting this recipe Sally!

Gabbyposted May 24, 2015 at 4:11 pm

I would love to make this in a bundt pan! Do you think it will hold up or are there changes to the recipe that should be made?

• Sallyreplied on May 25th, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Absolutely! The recipe would have to be doubled for a bundt pan.

Emilyposted June 6, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Just made this bread and did it without any chocolate chips or the strudel topping and I think it holds up as yummy zucchini bread just on its own. My comment about sweetness — I reduced the sugar to 3/4 c and thought it was still plenty sweet (and that’s without the strudel and chips mind you). So if you happen to like your bread on the not so sweet side like me… I’d say you can safely reduce the sugar by at least 1/4 cup… next time I will probably make it with just 1/2 c sugar. Thanks for the great recipe!

Delaneyposted June 18, 2015 at 7:21 pm

YUM! I went with muffins because I’m also making your banana bread with cream cheese icing tonight. I used mini chocolate chips which I prefer in muffins. That streusel is amazing. So dang good!

Juliaposted June 20, 2015 at 11:55 am

Made the muffins today…great!

amyposted June 25, 2015 at 11:34 am

This looks so yummy, I am excited to make it. I cannot eat oats though. Can you recommend a sub for the streusel or is it just as yummy without it?

• Sallyreplied on June 25th, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Just as wonderful without the streusel, trust me!

Julia Bellposted June 29, 2015 at 10:05 am

This kind of counts as a comment on the double chocolate zucchini bread too, but anyway, just want to reiterate how awesome this zucchini bread is. We have a garden again for the first time in years, and squash-pocalypse began a week or so ago. and finding ourselves with a pile of 20 zucchini and counting in the fridge, the time had come for zucchini bread. XD So far I’ve made 8 loaves total–half of this and half of the chocolate. Today is zucchini bread Day 2! lol (After 2 days of pickling…)
    Thanks for the fantastic recipes! Everybody lurved the award-winner just by itself (obviously), but the chocolate zucchini bread is magical with vanilla caramel and salted caramel sauce. XD

• Julia Bellreplied on June 29th, 2015 at 10:06 am

EDIT:: vanilla icecream. Yay typoes.

• Sallyreplied on June 29th, 2015 at 1:48 pm

So glad you love both recipes Julia! Thank you so much for reporting back about both.

Janetposted June 29, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thanks for the recipe!  I’m gluten intolerant so I subsituted the flour with a prepackaged gluten-free flour mix (using corresponding weight measurements) and they turned out great.  I was told by those who can eat flour that it was some of the best zuchinni bread they ever had.

• Sallyreplied on June 29th, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Wonderful to hear that Janet!

Debbie D.posted July 16, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Wondering if anyone has used coconut oil instead of the vegetable oil, and what difference (if any) if makes. Thank you for this recipe!!!

Olgaposted July 19, 2015 at 12:59 am

The best and the most moist bread I ever made! I didn’t have chocolate chips so I substituted it with raisins, liked it a lot. I’m going to make one this week with dried cranberries.
    Thank you Sally!!!

Rachel Pageposted July 21, 2015 at 11:55 pm

I’m on a huge muffin kick these days and also wondering what to do with all this zucchini!! Man, you really saved the day.

Moriahposted July 26, 2015 at 11:31 am

I would not bake at 425! I followed the recipe exactly and burnt my muffins! :(

• Sallyreplied on July 27th, 2015 at 11:51 am

425F for only 5 minutes (definitely not the whole time!). Unsure if you misread that Moriah?

Ritu guptaposted July 27, 2015 at 1:46 am

I love all your recipes and i have made most of them several times. I just love the zucchini chocolate loaf. Its truly award wining. My friend asked me to bake it without eggs. Could you tell me if I can substitute eggs with anything and if would taste similar?

• Sallyreplied on July 27th, 2015 at 11:46 am

I’m unsure without testing the recipe myself. Eggs are necessary for not only taste, but for structure as well.

• Krystireplied on September 11th, 2015 at 3:12 pm

I’m going to use flax eggs with this as we have an egg allergy. It works in my other muffins and breads so I will let you know.

• Krystireplied on September 11th, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I just pulled mine out of the oven using flaxseed egg. And it is perfect. I used a bundt pan and doubled it but I’m sure it would work in a loaf pan also.  1 tbsp ground flax and 3 tbsp water = 1 egg.

Dee Wposted July 29, 2015 at 12:40 pm

As always, your recipe is fabulous. To be honest, for some reason I always mess up with streusel toppings – not sure if I cut the butter too much or too little, but I always melt the butter instead. Not sure how the topping is supposed to come out, but with the butter melted it came out so good! Nice and crunchy and a big hit — and the bread is fantastic. Love, love it! I can see why it’s award winning.

Charleneposted August 1, 2015 at 5:27 pm

the recipe calls for 2 cups oil in the ingredients but preparation says 1/2 cup. What is the correct amount?

Jenposted August 5, 2015 at 11:17 pm

This is my all time favorite recipe!! I substituted some of the flour with almond meal and coconut flour and cut back the choc chips and didn’t add the topping to try to make them a little healthier. I have made these like 4 times in the past few months. Thank you!!

Alyssaposted August 7, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Just made this recipe with the abundance of Zucchini I had from my garden this season. I made the muffins for my family and I and it was The best we’ve ever had! The struesel definitely makes a huge difference. So delicious!

Aliposted August 9, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Made muffins and loaf today.  The taste is phenomenal.  However, I followed recipe exactly and I could not get muffins to release! I fully cooled, greased my new non-stick muffin pan.
    Haven’t tried to remove the loaf yet.
    Anyone else have hard time getting muffins out? Did you try muffin liners instead?

Kaylaposted August 11, 2015 at 11:56 am

have you ever tried mini muffins with this recipe? Do I need to tweek the temp?

• Sallyreplied on August 12th, 2015 at 6:46 am

Yes! For minis, bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

Kymposted August 15, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Made these muffins tonight! simply amazing!lol First taking them out of oven they were good size,topping all browned up nice.every bite you could taste a light crunch of topping ,inside was very moist and muffins I have had in along time.have a ton of zucchini from garden im gonna freeze to make these again when the weather cools down.thank you for this great recipe.

christinaposted August 16, 2015 at 6:53 pm

just made the loaf. i’ve been making choc chip zucc bread for years but thought i’d change things up with this recipe.

the one thing i had to adjust was the butter in the topping, i only had my organic olive oil spread. i made sure everything was chilled and it seemed to blend fine. i also used some fancy apricot steel cut oats from williams sonoma as i didn’t have regular oats.

unfortunately, i couldn’t get the loaf out of the pan., i greased it, i let it cool about 30 minutes, slid a knife around the bread, but couldn’t neatly remove it. oh well, i saved all the tricky bits in a sandwich baggie and will use on yogurt. i cut it down the middle and removed each piece square by square. i thought maybe i didn’t cook it long enough but the sides were crunchy and i turned it in the oven.

Nicoleposted August 18, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Any chance you think I could sub the zucchini for carrots? I’d love to find a carrot cake/bread/muffin recipe. Anytime I’ve made a cake recipe it’s much too heavy. I’m thinking breads may be a better go to.

• Sallyreplied on August 18th, 2015 at 5:05 pm

I’m sure you could!

Raylaposted August 20, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Sounds like a great recipe! I am the lucky recipient of several of those gargantuan zucchinis that people seem to love to grow, as though they are competing at the state fair. I have read they taste better when cooked to death, as opposed to, say, in a salad. Any experience with using these in a bread recipe like this? I can’t imagine it makes too big of a difference, but I thought I should ask since baking needs to be precise. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2015 at 8:07 am

Yep, I use gigantic zucchini all the time. No difference as long as you use 1 cup.

• Raylareplied on August 23rd, 2015 at 2:18 am

Thank you! I made a double batch of the zucchini muffins today and they are so delicious! I added a couple of teaspoons of grated lemon zest (1.5 smallish lemons) and it is wonderful!! The strussel topping makes this one amazing,

Samaraposted September 10, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Hi! I love this bread!! I’ve made it a bunch of times. But the last couple times the center ends up collapsing a bit…or a lot. I’m thinking it’s because I’ve opened the oven to put the streusel on top. It doesn’t take away from the amazing taste, but more the overall appearance. I know that recipes don’t always turn out how its pictured, but I’m wondering if there is a trick to it that I’m missing? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on September 10th, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Samara, it sounds like the bread is underbaked. And are you changing anything about the recipe at all these past couple times?

• Samarareplied on September 15th, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I think the trick that I’m missing is I’m forgetting to use my head!! Hahaha! It was definitely underbaked! When I used a toothpick to check to see if it was done, I’m thinking that the un-baked batter comes off when it’s pulled through the streusel. I haven’t baked all summer, so I think I’m a little rusty!! I have a batch of your chocolate cupcakes in the oven now for my son’s 1st birthday tomorrow…’s hop’n!! :)

Emmaposted September 13, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Sally! I don’t know what happened…everything was going well, they smelled amazing,  the strudel looked great, but after being out the oven for 5 mins,  the strudel topping had kind of caved in, and when I looked inside they were still raw. The only difference to the recipe was I used sunflower oil instead of vegetable (but I did this for the chocolate zucchini bread and it was fine) and my zucchini had been frozen (but I squeezed out as much excess water as I could) I tried putting them back in the oven, but even after another 15mins they still weren’t cooked. They still taste great…just a little raw. Any thoughts?

• Sallyreplied on September 13th, 2015 at 6:28 pm

I really wonder if the zucchini was still a little too wet. I’ve never had this issue, and I always use fresh. It wouldn’t be the oil.

• Emmareplied on September 14th, 2015 at 1:34 am

Thanks Sally. I will definitely try it again with fresh zucchini, as it really did taste amazing. I did your crock pot meatballs last night, and they turned out great. Thanks for all your recipes!

Lisa Montesanoposted September 22, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I was looking for a simple but yummy zucchini recipe, and I came across this one.  It was a hit in our house, the topping adds a nice touch.  I made a second batch and since I had pears also, I added grated pears and oats in the mix, as opposed to the top, it came out great too!  Thanks for sharing:)

Amandaposted September 24, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Hi! I’m making this recipe right now and the batter is pretty thick. Should it be like this or did I add too much flour?