Peanut Butter Butterfinger Cheesecake.

My friends went wild over this cheesecake recipe. Creamy, rich peanut butter cheesecake filled with crushed Butterfinger candy bars and topped with peanut butter drizzle. This is one incredibly indulgent dessert!

Everyone will go crazy for this Peanut Butter Butterfinger Cheesecake recipe! This is one incredible indulgent dessert.

It’s the weekend and I want nothing but an indulgent, peanut butter, chocolate, stick-to-your-ribs, Oreo crusted slice of cheesecake. I actually want that everyday of the week, but fitting into my wedding dress is more important right now.

After quite the hectic week moving and trying to get settled, I am ready for a vacation. To add to our chaotic lives, we are taking a quick weekend road trip to visit Marie in Cleveland. I love taking summer road trips. Any Cleveland readers out there?

I made today’s seriously sweet cheesecake the day after I made my blueberry swirl cheesecake. I wanted to space the cheesecake recipes out on my blog so I don’t bombard you with cheesecake. Though I’m not really sure any of you would mind an overload of cheesecake. How many times did I just type cheesecake?

I really need a vacation.

This recipe is out of control. In the best way possible! A creamy, thick peanut butter cheesecake that actually tastes like peanut butter (more on that later), on top of an Oreo cookie crust, filled with crushed Butterfinger candy bars, topped with more Butterfingers candy bars, and a peanut butter drizzle. Not diet food.

Let’s discuss the creamy cheesecake filling real quick.

I tested a few filling recipes when I made this a couple weeks ago. My test recipes were all sweet, thick, and creamy – but they lacked a rich, peanut butter flavor. Don’t you just hate biting into a peanut butter dessert that lacks peanut butter flavor? I complained a lot about that in my peanut butter cupcake post.

I changed some things around, increased the peanut butter, decreased a few other ingredients, and all was right in the peanut butter cheesecake world. The end result is nothing short of fabulous. Be sure to use creamy, non-natural, non-homemade peanut butter here. I like Jif or Skippy. You’ll need 1/2 cup.

You’ll need a lot of Butterfinger candy bars. A dessert recipe calling for 12 fun size Butterfinger candy bars has to be a good one, right? Look at this mountain of Butterfinger love! My stomach is growling typing this.

I know what you’re thinking – why is my springform pan wrapped in aluminum foil?! Make sure you read my post about how to avoid cheesecake cracks.

You’ll need full-fat everything for this recipe to obtain the best taste and texture. For lighter cheesecake options, make this or this. But definitely not this or this.

You know what I love the most about this recipe? There is so much going on! Creamy and crunchy, sweet and salty, peanut butter and chocolate. Every single bite has something different. If you have dessert A.D.D. like I do, this recipe is for you.

When preparing this peanut butter butterfinger cheesecake, make sure you plan ahead because there are a few imperative stages. I’ve learned these past few years that you cannot rush cheesecake! First, it takes awhile to bake through. Second, it must sit in the oven after baking as the oven cools down – this is another trick to avoid cheesecake cracks. Then, once the cheesecake is room temperature, you must chill it. It’s a great make-ahead recipe.

Sounds like a lot of work for cheesecake, but trust me – it’s so worth it!

Peanut Butter Butterfinger Cheesecake

Yield: serves 12

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes plus overnight chilling

My friends went wild over this cheesecake recipe. Creamy, rich peanut butter cheesecake filled with crushed Butterfinger candy bars and topped with peanut butter drizzle. This is one incredibly indulgent dessert!

• 18 whole Oreos (Double Stuf or regular)1
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, melted

• 24 ounces (670g) full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup (180g) full-fat sour cream (or full-fat yogurt), at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup (125g) creamy peanut butter2
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 12 fun-size or 5 regular size Butterfinger candy bars, chopped
  • optional: 1/4 cup melted peanut butter for drizzling

1. Adjust oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
  2. Make the Oreo cookie crust: In a food processor or blender, pulse the whole Oreos (cream filling and cookie) into a fine crumb. Stir the cookie crumbs and melted butter together in a medium sized bowl. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan and only slightly up the sides. The crust will be thick. Wrap aluminum foil on the bottom and tightly around the outside walls of the springform pan, as shown in photo above. Bake the crust for 7-8 minutes. Allow to slightly cool as you prepare the filling.
  3. Make the filling: Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and granulated sugar together on medium speed in a large bowl - about 3 full minutes until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Add the sour cream, peanut butter, and vanilla, beat until combined. On low speed, add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition until just blended. Do not overmix the filling after you have added the eggs. Using a rubber spatula or large wooden spoon, fold in 3/4 of your chopped Butterfingers. The rest will be for decorating the top of the finished cheesecake.
  4. Pour the filling into the cooled crust. Place the springform pan into a large roasting pan and place into the oven. Fill with about 1 inch of hot water. The foil wrapped around the pan will prevent water from leaking inside. Click here to read more about my cheesecake water bath.
  5. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the center is almost set.3 Turn the oven off and open the door slightly. Let the cheesecake sit in the oven for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight (preferred).
  6. Loosen the cheesecake from the rim of the pan and remove the rim. Top with additional chopped Butterfingers and drizzle with melted peanut butter. Cut into slices and serve chilled.Cover leftover cheesecake and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
  7. Make ahead tip: You can easily freeze this cheesecake for up to 2 months. Cover tightly and freeze. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

1. Try using peanut butter Oreos in the crust. Yum!
  2. Do not use natural or homemade peanut butter. You need thick, creamy peanut butter like Jif , Skippy, or similar.
  3. Avoid overbaking the cheesecake. When the cheesecake is done, there will still be a 2 or 3 inch wobbly spot in the center; the texture will smooth out as it cools.

Try my Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Cheesecake Bars next.

Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Cheesecake Bars

Or my Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Bars.

Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Bars

And these Snickers Cheesecake Bars. Beyooooond good!

8 Ingredient Snickers Cheesecake Bars - no one can resist these!

And these amazing Chewy Butterfinger Cookies.

Chewy Butterfinger Cookies #cookies

See more cheesecake recipes!

129 Responses to “Peanut Butter Butterfinger Cheesecake.”

PassTheKnifeposted July 13, 2014 at 4:26 pm

Oh man this is a fantastic indulgence! I do have a birthday coming up….

mjposted July 13, 2014 at 8:08 pm

Oh, this looks divine! I absolutely ADORE peanut butter. I must make this VERY soon! Pinned! 😉

Macyposted July 13, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I made this last night to bring to a party today. I’ve made several cheesecakes but never with a water bath and they all have turned out great but this looked delicious so I tried the water bath for the first time. With four layers of foil, it seemed like water still leaked into the pan. You couldn’t tell by the taste or the texture in my opinion but the crust did stick to the pan a bit since it was a little soggy. Other than that, great recipe. I didn’t have any left to take home. :) I was told instead of putting the cheesecake in the water, you can put a pan of hot water on the rack below the cheesecake. Have you ever tried that? Thanks again for the great recipe.

• Sallyreplied on July 14th, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Hi Macy! So glad you made my cheesecake and loved it. I have never tried that hot water in a separate pan trick – maybe next time. Thanks for letting me know!

• brittanyreplied on November 26th, 2015 at 2:28 pm

I have used the water bath below the cheesecake and mine turned out great.  It was also my first cheesecake.

Christi @ Love From The Ovenposted July 14, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I’m not sure I even have the words to comment. Ah-may-zing.

• Sallyreplied on July 14th, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Knew you’d love this Christi. Hope you had an amazing birthday!

Angel T.posted July 16, 2014 at 3:28 am

Hi Sally, I wanted to try replacing the peanut butter with pumpkin for a pumpkin butterfinger cheesecake- would I be able to just substitute the 1/2 cup PB with 1/2 cup pumpkin puree or would that not work?

• Sallyreplied on July 16th, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Hi Angel – pumpkin is not a suitable replacement for peanut butter. I suggest searching online for a pumpkin cheesecake recipe.

Zurainny Ismailposted July 16, 2014 at 6:11 am

My heart stopped a moment – they are all so yummilicious, I want to eat them all!

Nakiaposted July 16, 2014 at 12:28 pm

You always do this to me Sally!!! Just when I feel like I’ve gotten my sweet tooth under control, you post a recipe with both, chocolate and peanut butter (my kryptonite)…This is absolutely worth the extra workout this week… It looks delicious :)

Angieposted July 28, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Hi Sally, Oreos don’t come in the big packs here in Kenya so i’d have to buy 6 packs containing 3 Oreos(which Is more expensive than buying one regular pack in the U.S.) and that’s kind of a hassle. Do you think I could make a brownie crust instead? And what do you think about a caramel drizzle instead of PB?

• Sallyreplied on July 28th, 2014 at 3:56 pm

A brownie crust would be delicious, I’ve never made one before though. And caramel would also be a tasty option.

Angel T.posted July 29, 2014 at 8:36 am

Hi again, Sally, I read that the cheesecake leftovers can be frozen up to a month but I was wondering if it’s possible to make this 18-20 days in advance and place the WHOLE cheesecake in the refrigerator? School is about to start and I know I won’t have lots of time to bake. :/

• Sallyreplied on July 29th, 2014 at 2:17 pm

You may certainly freeze the whole cheesecake. I’ve done that a couple times recently with other cheesecake recipes. Simply cover tightly and allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Top with butterfingers and a drizzle of peanut butter before serving.

Angieposted July 30, 2014 at 3:58 am

Does the cheesecake taste better after a day/several days or is it one of those tastes-better-when-fresh things?

Noelleposted July 30, 2014 at 5:14 pm

This is my first cheesecake in a long time and my first one I’ve made all by myself. I couldn’t resist the tastes of peanut butter and Oreos and Butterfingers… OH MY!!

Currently baking this but with gluten-free Oreos from Vons to work with a Celiac Disease diet. SO SO SO EXCITED!! Was very hard not to eat the Oreos and Butterfingers while preparing it.

I bet it’ll be delish!

• Sallyreplied on July 30th, 2014 at 7:25 pm

Enjoy, Noelle! And congrats on your first homemade cheesecake. 😉

Kristina Hudsonposted August 5, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I am planning on making this very soon- like, this week! :-) Would you happen to be able to give me an approximate measurement for the cookie crumbs? I have a bag of Oreo crumbs in my pantry from a recipe I was going to make and then couldn’t, so I’m going to use that instead of starting with whole cookies. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 5th, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Hi Kristina, I’ve actually never measured it before. I believe it’s around 1 and 1/2 cups.

matretposted August 6, 2014 at 1:59 am

This was my 1st attempt at a full on cheesecake, but it looked SO good, especially with the chopped butterfingers and peanut butter drizzle on top I just had to try! It was AMAZING!!! It was CREAMY (probably because of the advice to beat for 3 minutes!). It got rave reviews from everyone at work who tried it. I did not have a pan large enough for the cheesecake bath, but I put a large pan on the 2nd rack. I cannot wait to make the blueberry cheesecake!

Angieposted August 11, 2014 at 8:58 am

Hi Sally, if I reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup, do you think it would affect the overall sweetness of the cheesecake immensely? And usually when I make cheesecake, the top of mine brown quite a lot before they are ready-I check the temperature but it doesn’t change anything…any advice ?

• Sallyreplied on August 11th, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Hi Angie – I’m sure reducing the sugar slightly would be fine. And I suggest loosely covering the top with aluminum foil to avoid heaving browning on top. Enjoy!

Kennedyposted August 16, 2014 at 10:39 pm

Is it necessary to use a paddle attatchment because I don’t own one and all I have is a regular handheld mixer?

• Sallyreplied on August 17th, 2014 at 10:23 am

A regular hand mixer is just fine.

Chantalposted August 20, 2014 at 10:07 am

Hi there! I simply have to try this recipe! I only have one problem – we don’t have Butterfinger candy bars (I live in South Africa). Could you suggest an alternative? Otherwise I’ll just brainstorm a bit and see what I can use 😉

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2014 at 6:21 pm

Really any candy bar you like best. Or even chocolate chips – or leave them out entirely.

• Saadiyareplied on October 15th, 2014 at 1:24 am

Hi I think a Crunchie is the best alternative

• Jennifer jreplied on November 14th, 2014 at 10:12 am

Hi. I also had the problem of Canada not having the butterfinger. I used the crispy crunch bar which is very similar. :)

Hayleyposted August 21, 2014 at 2:08 pm

Wow, that looks like I’m yelling. Well I kind of am because I have never made a cheesecake before & I’m just so happy with the outcome of this one :)

Laneposted August 25, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Hi Sally! I too made this cheesecake with great success! Thank you for all the helpful tips. Best wishes on your upcoming wedding – enjoy!

Shradhaposted October 8, 2014 at 11:37 am

What cud v substitute butterfingers with?we
    Don’t get those chocolates in India.

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 8:16 pm

You may simply leave them out of this cheesecake. Perhaps some chocolate chips instead.

Sherriposted October 28, 2014 at 7:54 pm

I almost didn’t make this because the “peanut butter cheesecake” seemed like it would be more savoury than sweet. Boy was I WRONG! My wonderful husband moved from Wisconsin to Canada when we got married & left behind his beloved Cheesecake Factory and many other restaurant cheesecakes we aren’t so fortunate to have here? (It is still a struggle to track down Butterfingers here!) My good man is short on words – says what he means, means what he says. Period. So every year I try a new cheesecake for his birthday & wait for his reaction. Normally he says “that was good hun, thanks”. This year, between bites, it was “oh my gosh, save this recipe…. Make sure you don’t lose this recipe…..Wow, this is amazing.” Needless to say, this will surely be an annual family tradition for many years to come.

Jennifer Allenposted November 19, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I cant wait to try this out. I’ve never made a cheesecake but the recipe and directions you provided were easy enough to understand so I should be able to follow them! My husband loves cheesecake, but he doesn’t love chocolate. (I know, it’s really strange) Any tips for a different crust for this that is not made up of chocolate?

Thanks so much!!

• Sallyreplied on November 19th, 2014 at 5:23 pm

how about a graham cracker crust?

• Jenniferreplied on December 4th, 2014 at 4:53 pm

First off, thanks Sally for the response. I made this for my family Thanksgiving dinner but mostly for my husband. He doesn’t like chocolate and everyone usually brings some kind of chocolate dessert. Everyone who tried it said it was delicious. Thanks for sharing this easy to make recipe! My mom looked at me funny when I wrapped the pan in foil and sat it in water, but when it was done she was impressed. No creases or cracks or anything. Now I have something I can make him that he loves. I didn’t use the butterfingers, just left those out. I put melted PB on top with some little PB morsels!

Erinposted November 23, 2014 at 9:38 am

I’m looking to make this for Thanksgiving. Do you think adding pecan tips would be a bad thing? My bf loves pecans and peanut butter so I wondered if they would go together or not. I also bought Reese’s Peanut Butter would I go about using those here…melt some into the crust maybe? Melt and drizzle over the top? Does using the Yogurt really change the fast of the cheesecake? Thanks for answering my questions!! Looking forward to this!

• Sallyreplied on November 23rd, 2014 at 11:10 am

Erin, (1) you may added chopped pecans to the filling, yes. Or sprinkle them on top when there is only 10 minutes left of baking left. (2) I do not suggest melting peanut butter chips in the crust. You could fold those into the filling or decorate the baked cheesecake with them. (3) do not leave out the yogurt.

Laurenposted November 25, 2014 at 11:56 pm

is the inside of the foil supposed to be wet when you take it off? The bottom of my pan was wet too

• Sallyreplied on November 26th, 2014 at 8:11 am

yep– because it was sitting in water.

Dianeposted November 28, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Wow! I made this for yesterday’s Thanksgiving dessert, and it was FANTASTIC! I made it the day before, and couldn’t stop myself from walking over to the refrigerator every half hour to admire it! I could barely wait to finish Thanksgiving dinner so that I could dig in to this cheesecake. It was absolutely wonderful. I’ll be making this again, for sure! Thank you Sally!

Britt M.posted December 8, 2014 at 12:29 pm

Made this cheesecake for Thanksgiving this year and it was delicious! It was so creamy and looked beautiful. I used peanut butter Oreos for the crust. This recipe is definitely a keeper & I can’t wait to make it again.

Eloiseposted January 5, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Made this for a family gathering..and it was loved by all. I used p.b. oreos.makjng it agian tonight, except I had to use golden oreos. Can’t wait to see how it turns out

Sonyaposted January 25, 2015 at 9:12 am

WOW – this was sooooooooooo yummy! You definitely succeeded in packing the recipe full of real peanut butter flavor, and I loved that! This is a seriously delicious cheesecake. I will definitely be making this again, and I look forward to trying a Reese’s peanut butter cup version as well. I had a great basic cheesecake recipe already, but I was craving a bunch of variations like I love to get at the Cheesecake Factory, and this will be my go-to peanut butter cheesecake recipe forever now. I have a very strong suspicion that if I tasted it side by side with the CF version, yours would be better. Well done, and thank-you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Martaposted January 27, 2015 at 7:41 am

HI Sally,
    I’m a peanut butter lover like You :) The problem here in Germany is that we do not have things like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, peanut butter chips or Butterfingers avaiable in the stores. Maybe You have already prepared that for Your new book but I was wondering if You could give me any tips how to do those sweets on Your own. I already found Your Peanut Butter Cups recipe here on the blog but would love to hear Your comments about peanut butter chips or Butterfingers “make it yourself” substitutions. 😉
    By the way… I´m addicted to Your blog :)

Cassieposted April 23, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Delicious! Rich and indulgent,I will absolutely make this again.

Chelleposted June 15, 2015 at 10:55 am

I made this for my son’s birthday, following Sally’s instructions to the letter. It was bombastic!!  I was so thrilled to peek at it in the fridge after cooling overnight to see no cracks whatsoever. So perfect thanks to her detailed directions, and hours and hours of research to get the perfect method. For those thinking of skipping the water bath because you don’t have a roaster large enough, consider getting a disposable, foil turkey roaster. It’s only a few dollars at your grocery and since you’ll only be putting water in it you can dry it afterwards and save it to use it again for another cheesecake if you wish (I wouldn’t use it for any other purpose at that point). Also, for wrapping the springform pan, I had extra wide heavy duty foil that allowed me to do this with no seams. I’d recommend it.  Sally, this was one phenomenal cheesecake!! Thank you for sharing your addiction to all things sweet! :-)

• Sallyreplied on June 15th, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Thank you so much for reporting back Chelle! I’m so glad this was a huge hit!

Dianneposted July 15, 2015 at 11:42 pm

I made this for my birthday, exactly as the recipe says, including the peanut butter-filled Oreos in the crust – wow!!! Hubby said it was the best cheesecake he’s had yet, and we’ve had a LOT of cheesecake. I definitely agree.

SallysbakeblogLoverposted August 2, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I’m thinking about making this with Reese’s cups to up the peanut butter chocolate flavor. Any other ways to do that? – up the peanut butter chocolate flavor, that is- Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S i made your skinny peanut butter chocolate reese’s pie and it was phenonemal

• Sallyreplied on August 3rd, 2015 at 8:39 am

You can add a little more PB to the cheesecake batter if you’d like. PB cups also work!

• SallysbakeblogLoverreplied on August 3rd, 2015 at 12:45 pm

SallysbakeblogLoverposted August 9, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Sally, I just realized I do not have a springform pan. What do i do?!! Can I use a cake pan? Are there any disposable ones available at the grocery store? Please help.

P.S Buying a reusable springform pan like you have is not an option

Maryposted September 3, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Would it be okay to just use 16 oz of cream cheese?

Meghanposted September 30, 2015 at 12:42 pm

This. Was. AMAZING! I pinned this recipe a few weeks ago, then couldn’t WAIT to make it! The next trip to the grocery store involved multiple cream cheese packets and Butterfinger (and some “regular” PB since all I had was natural/organic which the recipe strictly advised against). Super easy to make and DELISH! Since it was just my husband and me eating this, I couldn’t rationalize eating an entire cheesecake in just a few days (though we most likely wouldn’t have any problem putting it away), I decided to cut the slices and freeze them individually. Knowing the fun size Butterfinger bars wouldn’t last in my kitchen, I went ahead and “decorated” the cheesecake slices before freezing. Once frozen, I wrapped each slice in plastic wrap, then in foil. We’ve been pulling a slice out almost every night! Since the Butterfinger cheesecake went so quickly, I decided to make another one a week later, but I tweaked it slightly – I replaced the PB with Nutella (still used the Oreo cookie crust) and omitted the Butterfinger. I topped the cheesecake with a drizzle of Nutella and and chopped hazelnuts on top; again, I sliced it and froze the individual slices. This is my go-to cheesecake recipe! It’s so versatile and EASY, not to mention DELICIOUS!! Thank you for sharing!!