Strawberries ‘n Cream Crumb Cake.

Buttery and moist crumb cake filled with cream cheese and juicy strawberries. To put it over the top, I go heavy on the crumb topping and finish it off with a sweet vanilla glaze.

Strawberries 'n Cream Crumb Cake

There’s no sweeter way to start this summer week! I am head over heels with this show-stopping crumb cake, as you can probably tell by all the photos I’m sharing today. I was sucked into this photo shoot and could not stop snapping (and tasting) this beauty.

Speaking of photo shoots, this cake joined me in a magazine photo shoot last week. Do you read Where Women Cook? It’s a popular quarterly magazine sold in Costco and other large wholesale stores. I’m going to be featured in it this fall! They photographed and interviewed me in my new house last week.

I know you’re curious… and yes, Jude got in a few shots.

Strawberries 'n Cream Crumb Cake

Being photographed for a magazine was a little strange. In a good way! I’m usually fine in front of a camera (not shy at all) but the photographer told me I raise my shoulders when I pose, which isn’t flattering for any woman – of any size. I had no idea I did that?! A great tip I learned from her: drop your shoulders down! It lengthens your neck and makes you look taller and more confident. Good to know before our wedding pics.

For the photo shoot, I made this lip-smackin’ cake, along with my famous cake batter chocolate chip cookies. The magazine asked me to bake recipes that describe my blog and baking style. Clearly, sprinkles and streusel and pink and glaze represent SBA.

I love making crumb cakes for breakfast or brunch. It’s like having dessert… for breakfast or brunch. A win-win for everyone. I’m going to show you exactly how to make this strawberries ‘n cream crumb cake today. There are a lot of little steps to the recipe, but like I always say: read the recipe in full before you begin so you know what you’re doing and when you’re doing it.

And you can taste test along the way which makes the process enjoyable.

Strawberries 'n Cream Crumb Cake

There are 5 irresistible layers to this strawberry monstrosity:

(1) The buttery, moist, tender cake.
(2) The cream cheese/cheesecake-like filling which sort of melts into the cake to make it even more moist and mind-blowing and oh my god I need another bite now.
(3) Juicy sliced strawberries. Nothing more, nothing less.
(4) Crumb topping. So much crumb topping.
(5) The sweet vanilla glaze which drips down into every crevice.

Make them all separately then bring them together, like so:

How to Make Strawberries 'n Cream Crumb Cake

I love layered baked goods because I am an absolute texture freak. Are you like me too? Good. You will love this recipe. Soft cake, crunchy topping, juicy strawberries, melty glaze, creamy cream cheese. Every texture and flavor you love gets a nice checkmark here.

I’m entertaining in our new house a lot in the next month, so I’ve been looking for convenient make-ahead recipes. This cake is a wonderful choice because you can make the whole thing (except for the glaze) in advance and freeze it. See make-ahead instructions in the recipe below. Your guests’ eyes will light up when you serve them a slice.

Nerd alert: did you know that there is an average 200 seeds in one strawberry?

Glazed Strawberry Crumb Cake

As an alternative to breakfast or brunch, you have to try serving this crumb cake warm with vanilla ice cream instead of the glaze. Totally the perfect ending to a summer meal.

Strawberries 'n Cream Crumb Cake

Yield: serves 10

Prep Time: 35 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes

Buttery and moist crumb cake filled with cream cheese and juicy strawberries. To put it over the top, I go heavy on the crumb topping and finish it off with a sweet vanilla glaze.

Crumb Topping

• 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup (50g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 6 Tablespoons (90g) unsalted butter, cold and cubed

• 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (60g) butter, melted and cooled
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) milk1
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 2/3 cup (134g) granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8-10 fresh strawberries, sliced2
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar

Vanilla Glaze

• 3/4 cup (90g) confectioners’ sugar, sifted
  • 2 Tablespoons (30ml) milk or cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position. Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Spray an 8-in or 9-in springform pan with non-stick spray. Springform pan is required. Set aside.
  2. Make the crumb topping: Combine the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender or mix with hands until it resembles coarse crumbs. Set in the refrigerator until ready to use. This crumb mixture must be chilled.
  3. Make the cake: In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the egg and melted butter together on medium speed until combined. Add the milk and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and beat on medium speed until thoroughly mixed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Set aside.
  4. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl until combined. With the mixer running on low, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Pour into the prepared baking pan.
  5. In a medium bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese on high speed until smooth. Add remaining 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/4 cup granulated sugar and beat on medium speed until combined. Spread over the crumb cake batter. Layer with sliced strawberries as shown in the photo above. Top with the crumb topping and gently press the topping into the batter.
  6. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out free of cake crumbs. I covered the cake with aluminum foil after 40 minutes to help avoid the top from browning too much. Allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before glazing.
  7. Make the glaze: Whisk the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla together. Remove the sides of the springform pan and drizzle the glaze over the cake. The cake will stay fresh covered at room temperature for 4 days.
  8. Make ahead tip: Bake the cake as directed and freeze without the glaze for up to 1 month. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bake for 20 minutes at 200 degrees to warm it up. Glaze before serving.

1. Any milk including soy, almond, buttermilk, regular is OK for the cake. I used 1%.
  2. Frozen strawberries are fine - thaw and blot dry before using.

Recipe adapted from Glazed Cherry Crumb Cake. That recipe is in my cookbook.

Try my Glazed Strawberry Bread next.

Glazed Strawberry Bread Recipe

And the Strawberry Sweet Rolls in my cookbook.

Glazed Strawberry Rolls

131 Responses to “Strawberries ‘n Cream Crumb Cake.”

Karenposted September 22, 2014 at 1:59 pm

Hi Sally:

This cake is soooo good!!!

I doubled the recipe last night (because I had two eight-ounce packages of cream cheese to use up) and made it in a 9×13 pan lined with parchment paper (for ease in lifing out, since a springform pan is required for a single recipe). It took about 1 and 1/4 hours to bake, perhaps because my pan is an insulated pan or perhaps because there was so much dough. I kept testing the cake every ten minutes after 50 minutes, and then every five minutes. You’re right about covering the top with foil. My berries were starting to look a bit overcooked, but the delicious glaze helped disguise that! I also omitted the crumb topping just because I started a little late last night and didn’t want to make the little extra effort. Next time I will!

Congratulations on your wedding!

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Thank you so much for the congrats, Karen! And thank you for reporting back. You will love the crumb topping next time!

Carmenposted October 22, 2014 at 9:21 pm

Hi Sally! This sounds so good and I definitely want to try it this weekend! But do you think this could work as cupcakes instead of a cake?

• Sallyreplied on October 23rd, 2014 at 9:27 am

Hmm. I’m sure you could make coffee cake-like cupcakes out of this. I’m unsure of the bake time, though. Maybe around 20 minutes or so? Enjoy!

David Headposted November 18, 2014 at 7:25 am

At the moment im on a diet,and im browsing through looking at all the yummy things you have on this blog,im resisting.
    But i can tell you that this cake needs to be eaten by me soon.
    Cheers for making me hungrier.

Angelaposted November 19, 2014 at 8:14 am

Could I make a cake from a box mix and use that in place of the homemade cake batter? When I made this the first time, the cake was a little dry; I wondered if a box cake would be more moist. I have struggled in the past with making moist homemade cakes.

• Sallyreplied on November 19th, 2014 at 11:07 am

that should be fine

yvonne mannion vanoverposted November 22, 2014 at 9:39 am

This looks and sounds soooo good. I really wanne to make it. But i don’t eat gluten. So i tried to make it with gluten free baking mix (cron starch, corn flower and carob flour pit). I also used almond milk. But it stayed really wet. There’s grease on top, in the middle, of the cake. I put the oven higher (200 celcius) and i let the cake bake over 1 hour more then you said! Do you know what i did wrong and how i can get it right the next time? I hope it will still be good. It’s cooling now so we will find out later :-).

greetings from yvonne

Lanaposted December 3, 2014 at 3:54 am

Hi Sally, first let me just tell you that this might be one of the best cakes I have ever had (AMAZING FLAVOR).
    I made this cake 4 times however it was never a total success, 3 times I baked the cake for 50 min and burnt the bottom of the cake (Really Bad) and one time I baked the cake using the middle oven rack for 55 min and it wasn’t done, I am using a 9-in spring form pan and baking the cake on a 350 F temperature. But I really don’t know what I am doing wrong???

• Sallyreplied on December 3rd, 2014 at 9:11 am

Hi Lana, first I’m going to suggest you buy an oven thermometer to double check your oven temperature. My oven runs a little hot, so by using an oven thermometer I can set the oven to the TRUE temperature. It really helps! I’ve burnt a lot of cakes and cookies before realizing it. Then, how about baking at 325F. The bake time will be a little longer but it sounds like a lower temperature will be good for your oven.

Esméposted December 11, 2014 at 8:58 pm

Loved the small sliver of this cake that I allowed myself… just as well, it was gone shortly after! Kudos to another Sugar Heaven-worthy dessert.

I wonder if you have ever heard of a Basque cake? It is a light cake filled with pastry cream. By far THE best cake I’ve learned to make whilst at the CIA. I imagine you could toy with the basic recipe and make it even more delightful…

Again, keep up the amazing work!

• Sallyreplied on December 12th, 2014 at 7:22 am

I’ve never heard of that!

neilaposted January 3, 2015 at 10:58 am

apart from strawberries , what other fruit could be used ? strawberries are quite rare and expensive where i live and i would really love to make this cake!!!

• Sallyreplied on January 3rd, 2015 at 1:53 pm

any berry or even a thinly sliced apple.

neilaposted January 4, 2015 at 12:45 pm

can a banana be used ? im not very fond of apples so can i just omit the fruits overall?

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2015 at 3:10 pm

You may leave the fruit out all together, yes. I don’t recommend banana.

Katie cliftonposted January 22, 2015 at 8:04 pm

I wanted to be the 100 comment. I’m in love with this site. Everything looks incredible to eat and makes me want to bake. I tried the classic chocolate & vanilla cupcakes earlier was a bit concerned as the mix was really runny I did add more flour and they turned out really nice I was a lil worried.I think Im going to try a few of your recipes I love. Is your book available in shops in the uk? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on January 23rd, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Yep, my cookbook is available in the UK! Thanks Katie.

Angie W.posted January 30, 2015 at 10:46 am

How on earth do you stay so thin?? LOL

Dawn Andersenposted January 30, 2015 at 6:48 pm

I, too, have been on a strawberry kick. I’m even taking them to church on Wed nights to give to the preschooler’s at snack time. Imagine the smiles on their faces when I bring these muffins. Thank you

Jan Hposted February 2, 2015 at 11:57 am

I made this cake yesterday and it got rave reviews from everyone. I baked it for 55 minutes and it came out perfect. I did cover it loosely with foil at 45 minutes to keep it from getting to brown. Delicious and on my list to make again.

Mariaposted February 5, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Hi Sally. Just wondering if I can use pealed chopped apples? I’d like to make this, and the strawberry cheesecake muffins. I guess I’m questioning the juice from the apples, maybe add a touch of flour to them to hold it? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on February 5th, 2015 at 2:36 pm

peeled, chopped apples are fine in this recipe and the cheesecake muffin recipe. No need to add flour.

Diane Martinposted February 6, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Hey Sally!

How tall is the cake? If it in not that tall, would doubling the recipe make it bigger? I was hoping to make this for some guests this weekend but I’m worried it won’t be enough.

• Sallyreplied on February 7th, 2015 at 9:29 am

I can’t remember how the exact measurement of this cake. I do not suggest doubling it and baking in one pan. How about making two separate cakes?

Juliaposted March 9, 2015 at 9:20 pm

So, I have a new favorite, and I have commanded all of my friends to try it as well. I usually don’t comment like this, but…. Lord have mercy this is AMAZING~~<3 :DDD

Trixie in CTposted March 28, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Wow Sally! This cake is really quite wonderful!

I made it last night in a 9″ springform pan and baked it for just a touch over 60 minutes (turned off the oven but kept the cake in for another 5 minutes to make sure it was set)…. 15 minutes later I just had to cut myself a slice and man alive it was buttery, creamy and really delicious! It rose really high – to the top of the pan, so about 2-1/2″, but no leaking or spillage. I was super impressed…. ended up giving half the cake to a friend who flipped over it….will make it again using blueberries instead of strawberries for a change of pace.

Just love how the cream cheese filling melts into the cake base and yet there’s still a thin layer of it intact once it’s baked.

Kudos on another perfect recipe!!!!

Your fan in CT…Trixie

Valposted April 15, 2015 at 9:28 am

Hi Sally, Beautiful cake. I wondered if it needed to be refridgerated after baking? Thanks for your help and delish recipes!

• Sallyreplied on April 15th, 2015 at 10:36 am

Val – The cake will stay fresh covered at room temperature for 4 days.

Zaidaposted April 30, 2015 at 11:21 am

Hi Sally,i’m new to your website.Can i use pie filling instead of fresh strawberries..I live in the tropics..and we dont always get the fresh ones at the store…Thanks! :)

• Sallyreplied on April 30th, 2015 at 11:59 am

That should be fine.

azzah aldressposted May 7, 2015 at 8:46 am

dear sally its been awhile since i begun to make your amazing recipes more than ten tims i baked strawberries creme cake every time its so delisous and tasty i love allmost every thing you bake thanks
    kingdom of Saudi Arabia

Kristineposted May 10, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Made this for Mothers Day…major hit! It was perfect (even with gluten free flour). Can’t wait it try it during peach season!

Nuraposted May 15, 2015 at 3:49 am

I’ve kept the remainder cake for a couple of days in the freezer and microwave it before eating. The crumbs became soggy and not as crispy as it first came out of the oven. Any way that I can keep the crumbles stay as crispy as when it first baked? Other than that I’m still loving the cake.

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2015 at 5:21 pm

Heat from the microwave made the crumbles soggy. Unfortunately, I’m not sure how to get around that because of the cream cheese, glaze, and strawberry layers. Maybe you can bake some extra crumbs on a baking sheet until they are crisp to your liking and sprinkle on top.

Allison P.posted June 5, 2015 at 11:48 am

I’ve made this crumb cake twice now because we love it so much in my home. The first time I made it, my husband saw me take it out of the oven and couldn’t wait to have a slice. After he was done with that slice, I actually saw him lick his plate – he loved it that much! Both times I made this cake, I added sliced peaches to the strawberry layer. I might try other fruit combinations this summer. Thanks for this great recipe Sally!

Petra Ortnerposted June 10, 2015 at 8:40 am

Hello . I have just become one of your fans, lol. I am from South Africa. I live in the bush veld where I run a small Bed and Breakfast near the border to Botswana. I like to spoil my guests with special, delicious Breakfasts and dinners. Your Strawberry Cheesecake Muffins are soooo delicious and best of all, they look so good. Thank you so much for sharing your recipes with the rest of the world. I can see from your website that you absolutely love what you are doing. And I wish you lots of success for many years to come. Warm regards from Africa

Jackieposted June 18, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I came home from a strawberry festival with a huge basket of strawberries that I couldn’t waste. Took a look at your strawberry recipes and I had to make this one!! YUM!! The cream cheese layer with the crumb topping is so delicious!!
    Also, for those who do not have a springform pan, I used a pie plate and it turned out perfectly fine!

Kelseyposted June 22, 2015 at 8:19 am

I made this recipe a few days ago, and it was just fantastic!  I’ve never done a crumb cake with a cream cheese layer like this before, so I wanted to give it a try.  I did make just a few changes, such as using blueberries instead of strawberries.  I’m currently living in Tokyo, and since it’s not strawberry season here they’re hard to find and expensive!  I also added some lemon juice and zest to both the cream cheese layer and icing, which was fantastic.  This is truly a summer recipe!

Zaraposted July 7, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Hi Sally, I have this cake in the oven right now and it smells amazing. Question: is the cake batter supposed to be really thick? Almost like a wet cookie dough?

• Sallyreplied on July 8th, 2015 at 6:29 am

It’s supposed to be thick.

• Zarareplied on July 8th, 2015 at 4:27 pm

The cake came out absolutely amazing! Probably the best cake I ever made. Thanks so much.

Kathleenposted August 21, 2015 at 8:47 am

This sounds so good! I dint have fresh or frozen berries. Do you think I could use jelly?

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Jelly/jam/preserves work!

Tanjaposted August 21, 2015 at 9:42 am

i´m from germany and would like to bake this wonderful cake, but my question is: how much is 1 package cream cheese in grams??

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2015 at 3:17 pm

About 225 grams.

ChrisPposted September 23, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Hi Sally. Would cake flour work instead of all purpose for the cake portion? If so, how much do you think would be needed? Thanks for your help and the wonderful recipes!

• Sallyreplied on September 24th, 2015 at 7:49 am

Yes– I suggest adding 3 Tbsp of cake flour to the total amount. So, 1 and 1/2 cups + 3 Tbsp (which is roughly 1 and 2/3 cups).