Glowing Skin Smoothie.

This glowing skin smoothie is not only energy boosting and delicious, it has dramatically improved my skin tone. One of my favorite smoothie recipes, by far.

Glowing Skin Smoothie by Not only energy boosting and delicious, it has dramatically improved my skin tone.

The goal is to have my skin looking its best on September 20th, so I’ve been doing all sorts of things like drinking my weight in water, getting enough sleep, SPF SPF SPF SPF, more SPF, and exercising regularly.

Oh hey, guess what. I’m already at 88 miles so far this month. (!!!)

I did a lot of research in the beginning of the summer about which foods can help improve my skin tone. There were obvious finds like salmon, broccoli, and almonds. But I also stumbled upon a whole list of foods I already enjoy, but don’t eat on the regular. So I bought a bunch, blended them up, and today’s smoothie was born.

I’ve been drinking this glowing skin smoothie everyday for the past month and have noticed a huge difference in not only my energy, but my skin has never looked better. And the best part? This green smoothie actually tastes good. Like, really really good. It’s now one of my favorites. And it’s the only green thing Kevin will drink!

I feel so silly that I’ve spent so much money this past year on creams and moisturizers to improve my skin tone. Though they are certainly helpful, I firmly believe that the quickest way to glowing skin is not in your makeup bag. It’s in your food.

A few things first…

√ The avocado. Don’t leave it out! Avocados hydrate the skin, bringing back that glow we all love. Maybe have this smoothie with a side of mango guacamole while you’re at it? Yes.

√ The mangos and pineapple. Mangos contain carotenoids, which help our skin glow. My dermatologist told me that these carotenoids help give a rosy glow to dull looking skin. And pineapples are high in vitamin C, which I’ve learned is key to the production of collagen – giving our skin its firmness and strength.

√ Spinach OR kale may be used. Both nutrient dense super foods, removing toxins from our bodies. I eat both everyday, either in an omelet, salad, wrap, homemade juice etc.

√ Coconut water. This stuff is so good for us. It’s incredibly hydrating and makes skin look more youthful and supple. I wasn’t a huge fan of coconut water when I first tasted it, but I now love Naked’s pure coconut water. (No, they aren’t paying me to say that.) I buy this brand at Acme, Giant, and/or Target.

Avocado for Glowing Skin Smoothie

Pineapple for Glowing Skin Smoothie

Just a few more things…

Do not add sugar. There is no added sugar in this smoothie recipe because we are using sweetness from the fruit. Mangoes, bananas, and pineapples are plenty sweet, so there is no need for anything more.

No cans, please. Use only fresh or frozen ingredients. I usually stock up on fresh fruit in the summer and freeze it so I can enjoy smoothies with summer fruits all year long. It’s cheaper than buying frozen, too. Take advantage of summer’s sweet fresh pineapple!

If you’re replacing a meal with this smoothie, try adding a little flax or flax oil. Your skin needs oil to keep it lubricated. 2-3 teaspoons per serving is perfect.

The frozen banana and avocado leave it incredibly thick, the mango and pineapple sweeten things up, the coconut water adds a tropical flare, and the greens pack one HUGE nutrient punch. Your skin will love it. I call this my “secret weapon” wedding smoothie. 😉

Glowing Skin Smoothie

Yield: 2 huge smoothies

Total Time: 5 minutes

This glowing skin smoothie is not only energy boosting and delicious, it has dramatically improved my skin tone. One of my favorite smoothie recipes, by far. I drink it 5-7 times per week.

• 1/2 cup plain coconut water1
  • 2 frozen ripe bananas, previously peeled & sliced
  • 1 cup chopped pineapple (frozen or fresh)
  • 1 cup chopped mango (frozen or fresh)
  • 2 cups spinach or kale
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced
  • optional: 1 Tablespoon ground flax or flaxseed oil

1. Make sure you have a strong, powerful blender. I'm giving one away right now! I also like Vitamix or Ninja brands.
  2. Add all of the ingredients to the blender in the order listed. Blend on high for at least 3 minutes or until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the blender as needed. Add more coconut water if it's too thick.

1. Coconut water is ideal since it is so hydrating for our bodies and skin. If you absolutely cannot find it (it's sold in all grocery stores, Target, Walmart, etc) - use regular water or almond milk or your favorite juice. If not using coconut oil, perhaps add a touch of coconut oil. Great for the skin.

Try adding 1/2 cup blueberries. Another super food great for your skin!

If you do not like any of the fruits listed, simply replace with another fruit used. Or add strawberries or blueberries.

You (and your skin) will love this vitamin C packed Sunshine Smoothie, too.

Sunshine Smoothie - wake up with this creamy, sweet smoothie from

Here are more healthy recipes.

And more smoothie recipes.

Glowing Skin Smoothie

151 Responses to “Glowing Skin Smoothie.”

Snehaposted August 20, 2014 at 8:20 am

Hi Sally,u look so wonderful. I don’t think u need anything else for ur beauty.congrats for the 88 miles.
    Can I replace mango with sum other fruit?bec here in India mango season is over already n it’s difficult to find frozen mango.

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2014 at 9:43 am

Hi Sneha – how about blueberries or strawberries? Both are wonderful for our skin.

Danaposted August 20, 2014 at 10:07 am

Oooh Sally this is perfect! I never thought you’d also produce skin helping foods on this blog- that would be absolute paradise! :) This smoothie will be perfect with the start of school- the stress can ruin my skin! Thanks so much Sally!!

maria eugeniaposted August 20, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hi !!!!First of all Congratulations, my Daughter’s Birthday is the same date as your wedding date!!!Sept. 20th!, my baby is 7 years old now.
    I have prepared some of your recipes and love them all , will continue!!
    I would like to start preparing those smoothies , I feel I need some extra energy and of course I want to feel better and healthier.
    What can I use instead of Coconut water ,i really don’t know where to find it, I am in South America right now.
    Thanks again.

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2014 at 6:17 pm

Hi Maria. Happy early birthday to your daughter! I give some suggestions for coconut water in the post. Enjoy!

Jessicaposted August 20, 2014 at 11:37 am

Oh this looks amazing! I am obsessed with mangos…by far my favorite fruit. Do you think regular water and some unsweetened coconut flakes would work in place of the coconut water (in terms of flavor I mean)…or perhaps regular water and coconut oil instead of flax oil?

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Hi Jessica – you honestly can’t taste the coconut from the coconut water with all that pineapple and mango! I strongly suggest using coconut water. It is so hydrating and good for us. How about using your favorite flavor juice or yes – you can use regular water. If you want the coconut flavor, coconut oil would be great!

Amandaposted August 20, 2014 at 4:40 pm

This is pretty much identical to the smoothie I have been drinking every morning for breakfast since March: 1 banana, 1/2 c. frozen pineapple, 1/2 c. frozen mango, 1/2 c. coconut water, 1 c. spinach and 1 T. ground flax seed. Although I will have to try it with the avocado. It’s absolutely my favorite smoothie combo ever. I’m so glad someone else loves it as much as I do :)

Laurposted August 20, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Does Malibu rum count as a skin brightener. I know it gives me a rosy complexion when I drink it ;o)

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2014 at 8:41 pm

Hahahahahaha YES

Julie @ Table for Twoposted August 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm

Omg Sally, I’m seriously going to go buy the ingredients to this tonight and make it tomorrow morning before I head to my Pure Barre class! Love that this is a THICK smoothie – my favorite consistency when it comes to smoothies! Love love – thank you for this inspiration :)

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2014 at 4:49 pm

I need to try out Pure Barre sometime Julie! I know you love it. Enjoy this smoothie!

JCposted August 21, 2014 at 5:46 pm

Have you tried Harmless Harvest Coconut Water? No, I don’t work for them!!!! I just happened upon an article very recently about the preparation of the most commonly found Coconut Waters. Most are heat pasteurized — which actually ZAPS all the benefits of the water before it gets inside of you. Harmless Harvest is 100% organic, raw and unheated. It’s about as close to “coconut to bottle” as you can get. If you’re going to drink it, it might as well be the one with the most beneficial properties!

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2014 at 2:31 pm

Great to know JC! I’ll have to try it.

Chelseyposted August 22, 2014 at 10:41 am

I’m heading to the store to get all these ingredients and making this STAT! Nutritionally, awesome, and love adding flax (for protein too!). As a clinical nutrition grad student, this one’s a winner! I love how you combine some healthier recipes among all of your delicious baked goods! Thanks again Sally!

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for the sweet words, Chelsey – I try to post a variety! Hope you enjoy this smoothie.

Miraposted August 22, 2014 at 11:30 am

This smoothie will be great for breakfast, since I’m in a diet mood now , and the glowing skin will be a great bonus to that:) I like all ingredients you used, although I’m not a big fan of coconut water, I’ll give it a try, might taste better in a smoothie. I’ve been adding Cayenne pepper to my smoothies lately and might add a tiny pinch of it to this one :)

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2014 at 2:17 pm

Great idea for the cayenne! My favorite metabolism boosting ingredient. Thanks Mira, hope you enjoy!

Elizabeth Kotalacposted August 22, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Sounds delicious!! Thoughts on a replacement for the banana? Perhaps more mango?? I despise bananas!

• Sallyreplied on August 23rd, 2014 at 12:38 pm

More of either pineapple or many lis fine. I would add blueberries too – they are great for our skin.

Priyaposted August 23, 2014 at 11:47 am

Hey sally, Avocado is rarely found at my place…….with what can i replace it?

• Sallyreplied on August 25th, 2014 at 8:30 am

blueberries are a good option. or use more mango/pineapple. or even your favorite nut butter.

• Priyareplied on September 17th, 2014 at 1:05 pm

Hey Congrats sally, wish you a happy married life…….

• Karyreplied on March 4th, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Have you added nut butter to this recipe? Curious how it tastes.

• Sallyreplied on March 5th, 2015 at 6:39 am

Sometimes I add around 1 Tablespoon (I don’t measure… just a spoonful, really) of almond butter. It’s fantastic!

Alishaposted August 23, 2014 at 12:24 pm

Pro Tips… DO NOT double the recipe unless you have a giant blender. My poor ninja…. lol. When you said huge, you really meant huge. But I wanted smoothies for 3 today, and extra to put in ice cube trays and freeze, so it made a great amount, I just think I’ll do it separately next time. lol

ALSO: Not a fan of avocado, and its hard for me to eat or drink something when I know something I don’t like is in it, but, I did. And this smoothie is delicious! I added the blueberries (I still have a LOT of blueberries in my freezer from when we went and picked them a few weeks ago) And used frozen pineapple & frozen mango so I had to add A LOT of extra coconut water. Oh, and I added chia seeds :)

YUM. Thank you sally!

Lauraposted August 23, 2014 at 3:42 pm

So this might be a stupid question, but I have a newborn and my brain is basically fried at this point. Would making a big batch of this and freezing individual servings work? I’d love to get veggies in in the morning but time is limited these days.

• Sallyreplied on August 23rd, 2014 at 6:02 pm

Hi Laura, I don’t suggest freezing smoothies for best taste – how about freezing all of the ingredients in a ziplock bag together (except for the coconut water) and then blending that morning.

Daniellaposted August 23, 2014 at 8:28 pm

All I can say is wow! I saw this recipe and immediately went out and bought the ingredients. I drink this smoothie every other day and my skin has NEVER looked better. Thank you so much, I absolutely adore this

Angelposted August 27, 2014 at 2:11 am

Thank you for this one, I really need it. My skin has been, lets say looking older then normal and I think this will start to give me what my body and skin deserve.

Angelposted August 27, 2014 at 2:13 am

Can you add coconut oil instead of coconut water?

• Sallyreplied on August 27th, 2014 at 7:53 am

See the recipe notes.

Brendaposted August 27, 2014 at 7:42 am

This looks fabulous! Any suggestions to replace mangos? I’m allergic to them. Double up the pineapple?

• Sallyreplied on August 27th, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hi Brenda. See the recipe notes for substitutions.

Stefanieposted August 28, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Can’t wait to try this! How much of it do you personally drink at once (e.g. 8 oz)? And do you know about how many ounces of smoothie this recipe makes? I’m thinking of halving the recipe, drinking half of whatever that makes and drinking the other half the next morning, because I will be the only one drinking it.

• Sallyreplied on August 29th, 2014 at 8:11 am

I usually drink half and save the other half in the refrigerator for later in the day.

Kayleighposted September 1, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Hi Sally , I recently added spirallina powder to a smoothie the taste was so overpowering it ruined the whole smoothie. Do you have any recommendations ? Do you think that spirallina is a good thing to add ?

• Sallyreplied on September 1st, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I do not personally like spirulina in smoothies, so that is up to your taste preferences.

Sarahposted September 9, 2014 at 11:27 am

Super super thick!!! (I used all frozen fruits) I almost broke my vitamix! Added extra coconut water.. Finally got it blended. And it was absolutely delicious!!! I still had to use a spoon at first though, but I didn’t mind. It was like healthy ice cream!

Lexyposted September 9, 2014 at 5:20 pm

Yes. Need i say more?

Katie Dposted September 21, 2014 at 9:51 am

Just wanted to say that my family and I have been enjoying this emmensly for the last two weeks. Thanks for a great recipe!

Renuka @ Bakers' Centralposted October 20, 2014 at 9:04 pm

OMG. THANKS SO MUCH!!!! My skin is really dry these days, and I’ve been looking for something to help. I think I’ve found just the thing…

Laurenposted October 21, 2014 at 10:45 pm

First time poster, long time follower (You’re awesome Sally!!): Any reason you chose coconut water as opposed to coconut milk? I usually have coconut milk on hand as opposed to the water.

• Sallyreplied on October 22nd, 2014 at 10:32 am

Hey Lauren! I use coconut water for that same reason – I usually have coconut water on hand as opposed to the milk. Feel free to switch things around. Your smoothie will be extra creamy.

Helenaposted November 27, 2014 at 1:15 pm

I just found this site while looking for smoothie ideas to help my skin, rushed out and bought the ingredients and made it. This smoothie is absolutely delicious! I’m actually not keen on mango or coconut water separately but altogether it’s wonderful! Highly recommended!

Oliviaposted December 17, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Have had my eye on this recipe for r sometime now and finally our Australian summer has kicked in and the tropical fruits have hit the shelves! As I don’t have the greatest skin either (teenage years -_-) and my friend said this made her skin BEYOND AMAZING I just had to give it a go before Christtmas to: 1. Get some actual nutrients into me before bombarded with Christmas treats. AND 2. Make my skin look fresher for all the people I will see and photos I will be in! So threw banana, mango, blueberries, kale, cucumber, avocado and water + coconut oil into my blender and although the colour didn’t look great at all, it tasted DELISH! Thanks so much Sally, can’t wait to see the results on my skin!

Jennieposted December 20, 2014 at 8:09 am

will this blend in a regular blender? I don’t have a Vitamix, just a regular KitchenAid, and I don’t want to break it so I’m hesitant to try this recipe. What do you think?

• Sallyreplied on December 20th, 2014 at 10:13 am

Yep it will blend in a regular blender.

• Jenniereplied on December 23rd, 2014 at 11:56 am

Made it – it was amazing and totally worked in my regular blender. Thank you!

MJposted January 16, 2015 at 10:45 am

Just tried this and it was wonderful! My 3year old loved it as well. Thank you for this!!

Carsposted January 19, 2015 at 11:06 am

This is the best smoothie recipe I have tried ( and I have tried aloooot). Thank you so much for sharing- glad to have this in my repertoire

Emilyposted January 28, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I just made this and it is delicious! I threw in 1/3 cup each of carrot juice and pineapple aloe Vera juice. I am planning to drink this daily from now on!

Kristinposted January 29, 2015 at 11:09 am

I have wanted to try this recipe for months and finally had a chance to do so today and the result is delicious. I love the addition of avocado, spinach and flax, these healthy ingredients make you feel good while enjoying this drink. As a bonus, my two year old toddler likes it as much as I do. What a great way to get some much needed nutrients into his diet. Thanks for another amazing recipe.

Doraposted January 31, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I noticed u said kale OR spinach. I added both and it tasted great. Any downside to using both?

Biancaposted February 7, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Loved this recipe! Have made a couple times now. I’m all over frozen bananas now, thank you Sally! Also, my dad doesn’t like pineapple and still loved this drink because you can’t hardly taste it. Thanks, yummy! Will be a regular in my household!

Pposted February 19, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Thank you Sally! This is by far the best green smoothie I have tried. I was a little scared of the avocado but man it makes it so creamy and delicious. Thank you for sharing your secret weapon with us. Glow on girl! :)

Stephanieposted February 19, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Recently came across your site & am hooked. You’ve changed my life for the better & made recipes easy to follow. I’m in my early 30s, never had skin terrible until hit 30 & I’m excited to get my skin healthy again. Thank you thank you

Sarahposted February 22, 2015 at 9:00 pm

What do you do with the other half of the avocado? I’ve never had luck storing leftover avocado, so I end up using the whole thing for a recipe even when it doesn’t call for it. Any tricks? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on February 23rd, 2015 at 6:32 am

I usually slice it up, sprinkle with a little fresh lemon or lime juice, and save it for dinner that night or the next day for another smoothie. Sliced avocados don’t last too long after that. The lemon/lime juice prevents over-browning.

• PALSreplied on March 7th, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I eat it while the smoothie is blending …ooopsie. LOL

Connieposted February 28, 2015 at 3:27 pm

I almost always have Trader Joes frozen mango but of course, didn’t today, so I used an apple. I make a lot of smoothies, and this one is very high on my list of favorites.

Amayaposted March 2, 2015 at 1:38 pm

I only have a Nutrabullet…will that work?

• Sallyreplied on March 2nd, 2015 at 3:53 pm

• PALSreplied on March 7th, 2015 at 11:40 am

I have a nutribullet and I find that I have to cut this recipe down a little bit or its too packed and overflows while blending. I only use 1 banana and just eyeball everything else. But it is tasty and I love my nutri-bullet good luck!

Reginaposted March 2, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Sally, what’s the nutritional breakdown of this smoothie? I’m really interested in trying, but I’m also calorie-conscious.

Karyposted March 4, 2015 at 8:52 pm

My skin has really been hit hard this winter and it needs help! I am going to give this recipe a try for the next couple days. I’m sure the recipe will be delicious. Love your blog, Sally.

Stephanie D.posted March 14, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Sally – this is so delicious I just made it! Question – do you happen to know nutritional facts (calories) or is it on my fitness pal? I took nice pics, IG @stephmdaly – Thx so much for this recipe!

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2015 at 4:56 pm

I don’t know– sorry!

Rachel Cposted May 20, 2015 at 6:56 pm

As far as versatility and taste+healthiness, this is probably/very definitely my favorite recipe of yours. The spinach and avocado are definitely a tough time for cheaper blenders, but it’s so worth it. I’ve recently been switching out which leafy green I add- I just replaced Italian parsley instead of kale and it’s delicious! I want to try this smoothie with dandelion greens or Swiss chard.

Do you think you could post more smoothie recipes, especially for green smoothies (Bok choy, collard greens, Swiss chard, etc.)?

• Sallyreplied on May 21st, 2015 at 7:42 am

I wish I was more adventurous with the greens I use in my smoothies. For now, I really only like kale and spinach. I haven’t tried swiss chard yet, though. Maybe soon.

Sarahposted June 2, 2015 at 4:37 pm

Hello. I have a silly question! Where can I buy similar straws as seen in these pictures? They are so cute and colorful. Thanks!

Chrissyposted June 10, 2015 at 10:12 am

This smoothie is SO delicious! I make them one serving at a time and need a full cup of water to get it moving through my Vitamix. All those frozen chunks of fruit make it SUPER thick. Thanks for posting this yummy and healthy recipe, Sallysbakingaddition!

Grace Lamposted July 25, 2015 at 5:41 am

Hi Sally, I found your site and definitely try this recipe tomorrow. But I have 3 questions for you:
    1. What is the best time to drink this smoothies for the best result (I want my body to absorb all the nutrient)? I want to drink it in the afternoon 1hr before my gym time. Or should I drink it in the morning?
    2. Can I add ice cubes? ‘Cause I don’t want to slice all the ingridents and freeze them over night. I want to make it totally fresh and I want to drink it cold as well.
    3. My skin is kinda dull and not bright. Will this smoothies help? (Sorry it’s kinda a dump question but I want to improve my skin in a very short time to prepare for something big coming)
    Thanks Sally!

• Sallyreplied on July 25th, 2015 at 8:56 am

Grace– doesn’t really matter about the time. I like this smoothie best in the morning or after a workout in the afternoon. You can add ice, yes! This smoothie will definitely help with your skin tone. All of the ingredients, especially that avocado, are so rich in vitamins. Great for skin!

• Grace Lamreplied on July 26th, 2015 at 8:42 am

Thanks Sally! Can’t wait to see the improvement ^^

Nicoleposted September 2, 2015 at 9:16 am

Hi Sally, I made this last night and drank this morning, Delicious! My question is though how long will this last in the fridge? A couple days?–or should it be consumed the same day it is made?

• Sallyreplied on September 2nd, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Same day– no more than 12 or so hours in the fridge I’d say. So glad you love it!

• Nicolereplied on September 2nd, 2015 at 2:09 pm