Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes.

This is the ultimate recipe for the ultimate stack of pumpkin pancakes, spiced with cinnamon, and loaded with chocolate chips. Cool fall mornings just got even better.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes are everything you need this Fall!

I feel like I’m breaking a huge rule today. Pumpkin pancakes… in August?! Ok, ok while I hate saying goodbye to long summer days, warm summer nights, s’mores by the campfire, beach vacations, and actually having a tan – there is absolutely NOTHING compared to this September.  So yeah. I can’t control my excitement anymore.

That being said, fall is coming early on SBA this year.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes are everything you need this Fall!

I’ll be quite busy a chaotic mess the few weeks before the wedding, so I decided to start baking fall recipes early this year. Though I have to admit, I made these pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes in June, twice in July, and finally shot them a couple weeks ago so I could share the recipe with you today. To me, pumpkin knows no seasons. Same with flip-flops and neon pink nail polish. I’m seasonally challenged.

Today’s recipe is everything you love about fall served up on an adorable orange polka dot plate, preferably paired with a steaming cup of coffee on a cool morning as the leaves begin to change color. I think you should get these plates too. Cutest ‘lil things I own.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes are everything you need this Fall!

It’s been awhile since I shared a pancake recipe with you, so let me remind you about my thoughts on pancakes. Yes, I have a series of pancake thoughts. My life is weird.

To me, pancakes are meant to be light and soft. A stack of fluffy heaven. Now, it’s easy to make fluffy pancakes using the good ‘ole box of pancake mix, but you won’t find me doing that on a Sunday morning. Nothing compares to homemade!

When I began testing pumpkin pancake recipes, I had a long streak of reject batches that were both dense and flavorless. Pumpkin is a funny little ingredient. It changes the moisture, tenderness, and texture of anything it touches. But luckily after about 8 flavorless recipes making pancakes comparable to hockey pucks, I found a winner. And spent nearly $30 on pumpkin in the process.

But this cinnamon-spiced, pumpkin flavored, chocolate chip studded, maple syrup drenched stack of pancakes… oh man, it was soooo worth the trouble.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes are everything you need this Fall!

This is a recipe you’re going to want to hold onto this fall. Making these pancakes is incredibly simple and if you want your pancakes to be as lip-smackin’ as mine, I suggest you follow the recipe as written and read this.

Pumpkin Pancake Tips

(1) You need whole milk. Not soy, almond, rice, coconut, skim, 1% or 2%. The only substitute would be buttermilk. Whole milk is what makes your pancakes so tender and rich. With your leftover whole milk, make this.

(2) Measure your pumpkin carefully. 1 cup of pumpkin wasn’t enough. 1 and 1/2 cups was way too much, leaving the pancakes thin and gloppy – they were gross. You need a precise 1 and 1/4 cups.

(3) Don’t mix up your baking soda and baking powder. You need both. 2 teaspoons of BP, 1 teaspoon of BS. These leaveners are what make your pancakes fluffy and tall.

(4) Brown sugar, not white. You want the slight molasses flavor from brown sugar. It just pairs well with pumpkin. I don’t use too much brown sugar because the chocolate chips leave the pancakes plenty sweet. And so does your maple syrup.

(5) If you don’t like chocolate chips in your pancake business, feel free to leave them out. I actually loved the pancakes without the chocolate chips. Topped with melty butter and pure maple syrup, of course. Totally not wedding diet appropriate, but that’s why I run the mileage of a crazy person.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes are everything you need this Fall!

Moist, fluffy, flavorful, everything a pancake should be. Enjoy!

NOTE: I highly suggest you make the recipe as written first. Pumpkin pancakes are very temperamental and even the slightest change in ingredients will have your pancakes tasting different than mine. After trying the recipe, tweak as you see fit if necessary.

ALSO: make sure your griddle is hot hot hot before adding the pancake batter.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes

Yield: 12 pancakes

Total Time: 45 minutes

These pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes are the epitome of a cozy fall breakfast! Moist and fluffy, they're wonderful with a pat of butter and a cascade of maple syrup. Make sure you read my notes in the post before beginning.

• 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 heaping teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice1
  • 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (305g) pumpkin puree (canned or fresh)
  • 1/3 cup (67g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 3 Tablespoons (45ml) canola or vegetable oil
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) whole milk2

1. In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and chocolate chips together until combined. Set aside.
  2. I like to mix the wet ingredients in a blender. This guarantees a smoother batter and breaks down the pumpkin. This is especially necessary if you are using fresh pumpkin puree. Add the pumpkin, brown sugar, egg, oil, and whole milk to a blender and blend on high for 45 seconds until combined. Alternatively, you may whisk by hand or use a hand mixer. Blender is best.
  3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk by hand gently to combine the ingredients. The batter is extremely thick. Do not thin it out. Whisk until *just* combined, no more. A few lumps may remain. Taste the batter. If you want to add more spices, go ahead. I usually add more cinnamon.
  4. Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Coat generously with butter. Once hot, drop about 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle. Cook until the edges look dry and bubbles begin to form on the sides, about 1 minute. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked through, about 2 more minutes. Coat griddle/skillet again with butter for each pancake or batch of pancakes.
  5. Keep pancakes warm in a preheated 200F degree oven until all pancakes are cooked. Serve immediately with your favorite pancake toppings. Pancakes taste best right after they are made. Pancakes freeze well, up to 2 months.

1. Instead of pumpkin pie spice, you may use 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice.

Here are a lot more pumpkin recipes.

Including pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. (!!)

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes - this is the ultimate recipe for moist, fluffy, thick pumpkin pancakes! Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

165 Responses to “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes.”

Sonia Dposted November 9, 2014 at 9:14 am

I halved the recipe since most mornings its just me and my 2 year and it was awesome! Thanks for your amazing recipes!

Hope C.posted November 13, 2014 at 5:07 pm

These pumpkin chocolate-chip pancakes were delicious, although I’m slightly frustrated at my inability to make perfect pancakes. 😀 Unless the pancakes are from a mix, they end up black. I followed every direction carefully, but my pancakes were still burnt. Practice makes perfect, so I’ll have to keep on practicing NOT burning pancakes! 😀 Thank you, though, for the recipe! :) Do you have any suggestions or tips that I might use? Thanks!

• Ellenreplied on September 21st, 2015 at 2:39 pm

My 2 cents worth is don’t have the heat up too high, otherwise the outsides will be burnt and the insides will be squidgy. A low heat (and cooking for slightly longer than with a high one) should make them just right. Good luck! :)

• Gabbeereplied on October 4th, 2015 at 8:34 am

I read somewhere that using a tad bit of oil instead of butter(butter burns really bad! and when it burns it turns black!) and wiping down the pan really helps! I have tried it and it for sure works

~best of luck

Austria Azacetaposted November 16, 2014 at 9:58 am

I am a huge pumpkin fan (except for the pie, its a texture thing) so i knew i had to try these. I made them last month for my husband & some friends as we were away for the weekend together & they were a hit! They are quite delicious!! The pumpkin flavor is spot on. I was surprised at how thick the batter was & did add a little more milk. I didn’t add choc chips to the whole batch but rather sprinkled them on individual pancakes per request. These are so thick that they took a little longer to cook. I had mine with chopped pecans & some maple syrup….
    Now i read some comments & see that the batter can be used for waffles so that is definitely happening this week!! Thank you so much for the recipe!!

Cameronposted November 18, 2014 at 9:03 pm

gee thanks, now you’ve made something so freaking delicious that I have to mix up a batch twice a week for my two boys, 11 and 14. My 14 year old whines when he has to have regular pancakes. I get so excited when they have left me a few bites on their plates

Amberposted December 1, 2014 at 9:22 pm

These were amazing! My kids are already begging for them again. Thanks! We froze the leftovers and they taste just as good.

phantomloveboatposted January 28, 2015 at 8:56 pm

I love the idea of the recipe (haven’t tried it yet), especially your attention to the importance of precision. Because you recommend “testing” the recipe, I would love for the measurements to be weighed instead of scooped and packed. This, I believe, would leave less room for error.

Emilyposted February 25, 2015 at 3:23 pm

I made these last night with my daughter and they were delicious! She isn’t a big pancake eater, but she LOVED these. Since it was just her and me for dinner I froze the rest in plastic bags separated with wax paper. Would you recommend defrosting in the fridge and then reheating for a few seconds in the microwave? Or is there a better way to enjoy them from the freezer? Thanks for the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on February 25th, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Hi Emily! Defrosting in the fridge then reheating in the microwave is exactly how I prepare them after freezing. So happy you both loved these!

Krystalposted March 6, 2015 at 8:37 pm

I can’t wait to try these. My boyfriend is obsessed with this seasonal pumpkin pancake mix he bought at the whole foods he works at. He bought 8 boxes and we have officially run out (I make them every Sunday). He even had people from other stores bring him boxes when his store ran out, lol. I am tasked with the duty of recreating them until next season. I am praying these taste the same or he may have a meltdown, lol.

• Krystalreplied on March 6th, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Oh, and one of our chefs there said to use puree so I have a good feeling this might be a good dupe. Although this is more of the real deal compared to a box, lol. The box is much faster considering I also make eggs, bacon, toast, and hash browns. Thinking that diamond ring should be coming soon haha.

Jenposted June 15, 2015 at 9:37 am

These look amazing and I can’t wait to try them.  Have you tried making the batter the night before? I’d love to save some time in the morning, but I’m not sure if they’d turn out the same.

• Sallyreplied on June 15th, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Jen, the pancakes should be cooked right away. The baking powder is activated once wet. You could prep the wet and dry ingredients separately the night before and mix them the morning of.

Culinary Favorites from A to Zposted August 15, 2015 at 10:16 am

I have been meaning to try pumpkin pancakes. Never would have thought of adding chocolate chips. These sure look delicious!

Sheriposted September 18, 2015 at 10:03 am

I just came across this recipe and have a question. We recently found out that my 18 month old son is allergic to eggs. Considering your suggestion of being precise with the ingredients/measurements, would using applesauce in place of the egg be ok?

Paulposted September 21, 2015 at 2:49 am

Sally, we made these absolutely amazing pumpkin chocolate chip pancakes this weekend and the whole family loved them. My daughter said they were the best! Thank you so much for testing until you got it right. Your hard work and dedication saves all us foodies the time so we can just enjoy making them and eating them of course!

• Sallyreplied on September 21st, 2015 at 11:29 am

Glad to hear it! Thank you for reporting back Paul!

JRoposted September 22, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I’m relatively new to your blog so I haven’t used very many of your recipes…..but I made these pancakes for dinner last night. Here’s what my mister said “siiiiiiigh…..this is the perfect way to end a stressful monday!” He was right – wonderful recipe that was satisfying and comforting without being too heavy or rich!

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Perfection. :)

Caitlinposted September 26, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Wow! I just made these and, WOW! Who knew pumpkin and chocolate were meant for each other? My fiance is always skeptical when I cook/bake new things – yes, he is one of those, haha. He loved these and he loves them with the chocolate chips, too! Thank you so much for opening my eyes to a whole new world of pumpkin chocolate muffins, waffles, bars, cakes, etc. Thank you thank you thank you:-)

Laurenposted September 27, 2015 at 8:57 am

I was wondering if you’ve ever used this recipe for waffles and if so how did they turn out?

• Sallyreplied on September 27th, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Yep, absolutely. This batter as waffles is incredible. One of my favorites to make this time of year.

Rachelposted September 27, 2015 at 10:51 am

These are great!!! Only had 2% milk so I used a little under 1 1/2 cups. These were thick but perfect. I also used the blender and that is a genius idea! I cooked them on an electric non stick griddle (no butter needed) at 300 degrees, I don’t time, but it was longer than 2 min. My normal pankcake temp of 325 left the middle uncooked.

Natalieposted October 1, 2015 at 6:58 pm

How many servings does this make? I’m wondering if I should double the recipe if I am making it for five people.