White Chocolate Pumpkin Snickerdoodles.

These soft & chewy snickerdoodle cookies are full of pumpkin, white chocolate, and cinnamon sugar. You’re going to want a batch lying around for those chilly fall days. Warning: they disappear quickly!

These White Chocolate Pumpkin Snickerdoodles are a MUST try! So soft & chewy without being cakey using a few kitchen tested tricks. Recipe by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Ladies and gents, I present you my fall version of the snickerdoodle cookie. And holy mackerel (I really do say that) these pumpkin snickerdoodles deserve a standing ovation. Two, actually. They’re the much anticipated sequel to the legendary CHEWY pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. AKA my most remade recipe of the fall 2013 baking season.

AKA the chewy pumpkin cookie of which all cakey pumpkin cookies are jealous.

If you’re a regular reader you may recall this from last fall season… but I’m completely crazy when it comes to pumpkin cookies. Well. I’m crazy in a lot of aspects but I am certifiably nuts when it comes to pumpkin in my cookies.

You see, pumpkin has a way of making everything it touches cakey and dense. I do not prefer my cookies being either, so it took me several months to find a way to put pumpkin in my cookies without them tasting like a piece of pumpkin cake. For the record, I love pumpkin cake but when I want a cookie, I want a cookie. Not cake.

Am I even making sense anymore?

Anyway. I finally cracked the “chewy pumpkin cookie” code and made about 1,000 batches of my chewy pumpkin chocolate chip cookies last year. So this year, I swapped chocolate chips for white chocolate chips, coated them in cinnamon-sugar, and dubbed these crinkly little pumpkin cookies the best darn snickerdoodles in the world.

A few helpful notes:

(1) You will notice that there is no egg* used in this cookie recipe. Read here about why I leave out the eggs in my pumpkin cookies.

(2) Both baking powder and baking soda are used. Make sure yours are fresh and have not expired. I replace both every 3 months because I find they lose their strength not much longer after that.

(3) I use white chocolate flavored morsels for these snickerdoodle cookies. If you prefer to use pure white chocolate chunks instead of the chips, go ahead.

(4) Careful not to overmeasure your flour. This is so important! I always suggest readers to invest in a food scale to accurately measure flour. Especially for cookies. Even 1 extra Tablespoon can make a huge difference. Here is the food scale I own – it is the handiest tool in my kitchen at this point.

(5) Chilling the cookie dough is mandatory. Good news: only 30 minutes.

*No egg = allllllllll the cookie dough taste testing you want. 😉

These cookies are everything you love about snickerdoodle cookies, cozy fall afternoons, and pumpkin pie all wrapped into one. And the addition of sweet and creamy white chocolate put them completely over the top. I find their pumpkin flavor is more pronounced on day 2. Similar to how banana bread’s flavor is more developed on the 2nd day. These cookies just get better with time – if they last that long!

I made two batches, one for the cookie jar and another for my friend Jess. I brought them on our lunch date (don’t YOU carry a large bag of cookies in your purse??) and she was definitely surprised to see I made her pumpkin cookies in the middle of August.

Just another example of my weird food blogging life.

Make a double batch. Because, well, you know. Enjoy!

White Chocolate Pumpkin Snickerdoodles

Yield: 18 cookies

Prep Time: 45 minutes (includes chilling)

Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes

These soft & chewy snickerdoodle cookies are full of pumpkin, white chocolate, and cinnamon sugar. Warning: they disappear quickly, so make 2 batches!

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup (50g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar, divided
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 6 Tablespoons (86g) pumpkin puree (use the rest of the can in any of these recipes)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice1
  • 1/2 cup (90g) white chocolate chips or chunks

1. Melt the butter in the microwave. In a medium bowl, whisk the melted butter, brown sugar, and 1/2 cup granulated sugar together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the vanilla and pumpkin until smooth. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, toss together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together with a large spoon or rubber spatula. The dough will be very soft. Fold in white chocolate chips. They may not stick to the dough because of the melted butter, but do your best to have them evenly dispersed in the dough. Cover the dough and chill for 30 minutes, or up to 3 days2. Chilling is mandatory.
  3. Take the dough out of the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  4. Roll the dough into balls, about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough each. Mix together the remaining 1/2 cup of granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Roll each of the dough balls generously in the cinnamon-sugar mixture and arrange on 2 baking sheets. Slightly flatten the dough balls because the cookies will only slightly spread in the oven. The photo above shows what the cookie dough balls should look like before baking.
  5. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes. The cookies will look very soft and underbaked. Keeping them in the oven for longer may dry them out.  Remove from the oven and press a few more white chocolate chips onto the tops, if desired. If you find that your cookies didn't spread much at all, flatten them out when you take them out of the oven.
  6. Allow the cookies to cool for at least 10 minutes on the cookie sheets before transferring to a wire rack. The longer the cookies cool, the chewier they will be. I let them sit out for at least 1 hour before enjoying. I find that their chewiness and pumpkin flavor is more prominent on day 2.
  7. Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.Allow to come to room temperature and continue with step 3. Baked cookies freeze well up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well up to three months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.

1. Instead of pumpkin pie spice, you may use 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves, and 1/2 teaspoon allspice.
  2. If you are chilling the pumpkin cookie dough for longer than 30 minutes, the cookie dough will likely have to sit on the counter at room temperature for at least 15 minutes before scooping/rolling because it will be quite cold and solid. The amount of time it needs to sit at room temperature depends on how long the dough has chilled. If I chill my cookie dough for around 24 hours, I let it sit at room temperature for about 25 minutes.

Adapted from Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

The inspiration for today’s cookie recipe…

Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sally's Baking Addiction Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

And Soft & Thick Snickerdoodles!

The BEST Snickerdoodle Cookies

see more snickerdoodle recipes.

see more pumpkin recipes.

A fall twist on a snickerdoodle cookie! These Pumpkin Snickerdoodle Cookies are on sallysbakingaddiction.com

240 Responses to “White Chocolate Pumpkin Snickerdoodles.”

Saraposted August 14, 2015 at 7:20 am

hi just wondering seeing as I’m from Australia and have never seen canned pumpkin is it any different to using fresh pumpkin that’s been steamed then mashed?

• Bettyreplied on September 18th, 2015 at 11:38 pm

Hi – I use fresh all the time at a 1 to 1 ratio, so it’s the same. Enjoy!

• Judyreplied on November 2nd, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Ditto to Betty’s reply. I just microwave, drain and puree or mash fresh pumpkin and all Sally’s pumpkin recipes have turned out AMAZING! I even cook extra and freeze to keep on hand. (I’m from Australia too :) I have been told that some IGA stores and possibly Costco sell canned pumpkin.

Graceposted September 6, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Wow! These are incredible!

Paigeposted September 13, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Amazingly delicious!   So easy to make my kids helped. I did chill mine longer and had no problem rolling them up. Make a double batch because you are gonna need ’em   Everyone who tried them loved them

Chelseaposted September 13, 2015 at 7:04 pm

I made these multiple times last year and brought them into work. To this day, everybody still remembers those cookies. Thankfully for them, I’m bringing in more on Tuesday! Fantastic recipe and hit for all!

Ally Mposted September 13, 2015 at 11:12 pm

I made these cookies last year and I think I even submitted a comment on here somewhere. I made them again today and I must say, these are so damn delicious that they should be illegal. Seriously this is one of the best recipes (not just cookies, but overall) I have ever had the pleasure of making.

Kelliposted September 14, 2015 at 9:37 pm

OMG!  I made these cookies over the weekend!  Amazing!!!  I agree that pumpkin tends to make things “cake” like which I don’t like as much.  You have perfected this – yummy!!!!

Emilyposted September 19, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Okay, so I just made these for the first time as a birthday present for my boyfriend’s sister-in-law…and I’m pretty sure she’s not getting any of them. Because I am going to eat them ALL. These are amazing! Thank you!!

Nichole Rayposted September 20, 2015 at 11:38 am

I want to send these cookies to my pregnant pumpkin loving friend. How do u recommend I send them? I thought it would be weird for her to receive a box of cookies with a piece of white bread in them. Lol

• Sallyreplied on September 20th, 2015 at 5:06 pm

They stay quite soft for days– great cookie to ship. To ship them, simply take two cookies and sandwich them together back-to-back. Wrap each “sandwich” in plastic wrap and place all the wrapped sandwiches in a tupperware to ship.

Colleenposted September 22, 2015 at 12:28 am

OMG, these taste just like pumpkin pie with whipped cream, but in a cookie!  Delicious!

Julie fordposted September 26, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I just found your site, and hardly know which recipe I’ll try first! Question: can white whole wheat flour be substituted, and if so, would that change anything else in the recipe? I love how you explain explicitly the whys of ingredients, times, temperatures, consistencies, etc.

• Sallyreplied on September 26th, 2015 at 2:55 pm

White whole wheat works– I use it all the time in my cookie recipes, including these pumpkin snickerdoodles.

Nikkiposted September 28, 2015 at 5:02 pm

I just made these, but they completely spread and flattened. Im not sure what i did wrong? they are delicious anyways, but i need to perfect them
    I even chilled the dough overnight and let sit for about 15-20 minutes before baking. Help!

MamaDposted September 30, 2015 at 8:43 pm

I just made these and the taste is HEAVENLY! But, I had to make them teeny weeny to actually get them to bake correctly. My best guess is a flour problem – even though I measure the way you’ve told me to on this website. Ideas?

Also, I LOVE your recipes. You are my go-to for desserts! Thanks for sharing your passion so people like me – the one with no background skills – can make MANY delicious treats!

• Sallyreplied on October 1st, 2015 at 9:02 am

Trying to troubleshoot! Can you describe what you mean by bake correctly? Like, there was too much flour or too little? Spreading issue?

Happy you love my recipes!

• MamaDreplied on October 1st, 2015 at 10:24 am

After placing the cookies in the oven for 8 minutes and cooling for 10, I tried to use a spatula {like normal for me} to transfer them to my drying rack. But because the cookies were still quite doughy, they would collapse. The best I can describe is that they seemed undercooked. So, in an attempt to remedy, I made them smaller and cooked them longer. It did help a slight bit, but they still turned out mushy – like they were under done again. My only thought is to increase the flour slightly?

• Sallyreplied on October 2nd, 2015 at 9:37 am

Yes, I would slightly increase the flour. And perhaps try baking for closer to 10-11 minutes. This will help!

Clareposted October 5, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Can you make these by substituting with gluten free flour? I have all-purpose gluten free or oat flour!

Leslieposted October 7, 2015 at 11:31 am

For the salt, baking powder and baking soda is it 1/4 cup each?

Natalieposted October 7, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Hi Sally!

I LOVE these cookies. They are my absolute favorite for fall. But. I have started following a vegan diet within the last year, and I was wondering if these would turn out okay using Smart Balance in place of butter. I know it’s probably not something you would recommend for everyone, but the idea of not eating these anymore just breaks my heart.

• Sallyreplied on October 7th, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Is Smart Balance vegan? I’m not the person to ask! But Natalie, you can try it. I’m unsure of the resulting texture and taste. Some readers have made these using melted coconut oil with success!

• Nataliereplied on October 14th, 2015 at 6:47 pm

They turned out AMAZING! Same texture, same flavor as using butter. Smart Balance and Earth Balance are both vegan, but I ended up going with the Earth Balance Buttery Sticks for ease of measurement. I prefer them to coconut oil and shortening for flavor purposes — sometimes coconut oil makes baked goods too “coconutty” for my taste :)

Juliaposted October 7, 2015 at 4:10 pm

These are INCREDIBLE. They went so quickly! I was also in disbelief that they tasted better the second day. I didn’t think any cookie could taste better than it does when warm but these absolutely wow’ed me. They stayed so chewy!

Amanda Saasposted October 7, 2015 at 11:00 pm

Made these tonight. Flavor was AMAZING but texture wise it was very cakey. Any suggestions?

Kaylaposted October 10, 2015 at 11:47 am

Can these be baked as a bar instead of as a cookie?

Whitneyposted October 11, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Amazing cookies!!!!! My husband (the non-cookie eater) the taste tester…..along with Spencer the poodle dog and Guen the baby Boxer, loved, loved, loved them! Thank You

iposted October 17, 2015 at 6:10 pm

These look soooo yummy. I love baking in the fall and I just made this dough and it smelled AMAZING!! I love how it took me only 10-15 mins to prep the dough:)

Vickyposted October 19, 2015 at 8:55 pm

These cookies are delicious!  My husband said they were addicting and my coworkers loved them.

Peggy Duncanposted October 23, 2015 at 10:15 am

I found pumpkin spice chips at the store and did half white chocolate and half pumpkin spice – the family LOVED these! Thank you for sharing!

gkposted October 23, 2015 at 11:07 pm

Any suggestions to making these into bars?

• Kaylareplied on November 14th, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Yes! I want to know this too.

Careyposted October 24, 2015 at 11:07 am

I LOVE this recipe, but HELP!!!  I accidentally put all of the cinnamon into the cookie.  I am making a double batch for a party tonight and do not want to throw it all out.  The dough is chilling now.  Should I add the cinnamon to the sugar, or just roll the dough in sugar without cinnamon?

I love all of your recipes, btw!

Franceposted October 24, 2015 at 7:24 pm

OMG, scrumptious! I made these tonight for a bake sale we’re having at work this coming Friday, in the hopes of freezing them. Um, I might just eat them all. Uh oh….

Luluposted November 1, 2015 at 2:20 pm

These were fabulous. Delicious and came together so quickly. I made my cookies slightly smaller and baking for 10 minutes was just right.

Amyposted November 11, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Just QUADRUPLED this recipe for my husband and the rest of the airmen he is currently training with.   They were very easy to make and are delicious.   The cookies were softer than most but they were not puffy or cake like.  My family made sure that I also made a few extra just for them!

Karolineposted November 14, 2015 at 1:53 am

Just wanted to say that I really love these cookies (my son calls them cinnamon roll cookies) but also sad to say I originally found your recipe on another site. I’m not sure if your are associated with them somehow but they do not credit you for the recipe :(

• Sallyreplied on November 14th, 2015 at 10:16 am

Oh goodness! That is absolutely my recipe. I’ll handle it– thanks Karoline!

Rachelposted November 18, 2015 at 8:08 pm

In case anyone is wondering, these work GREAT with gluten-free flour! I used a 1-for-1 type and it was perfect. I also misread and used powdered sugar instead of granulated and it didn’t cause any issues, though on the next batch I’ll try the right way and see what happens.

Thanks for sharing!

Annaposted November 20, 2015 at 7:55 am

I made these last night to take into work today. They are easily the best cookies I have ever made! I tripled the recipe to have enough for the whole office and they came out perfectly. They are soft, a little chewy, and the spice is just right. I tried one last night and thought they were pretty good. But when I had one with my morning coffee – holy wow! These things come alive after a little rest time. This recipe will definitely become a regular in my baking rotation. I can’t wait to see everyone else enjoying them today!

Kimposted November 24, 2015 at 8:44 am

Any tips for high altitude- mine spread out very thin (but yummy).