Healthier Treat: Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds

A chocolate treat to feel good about!

How to make Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds-- a chocolate treat to feel good about! sallysbakingaddiction.com

New post up in my photography section today! Warning: it’s exploding with summer. And for this new post? Well, I’m really, really excited about this “recipe.”

For many reasons!

(1) Chocolate.

(2) It’s DARK chocolate.

(3) Simple. 4 ingredients.

(4) Wholesome and healthy. Well, compared to skillet brownies at least.

(5) Sweet and salty! Sweet and salty!

These were inspired by a carton of Trader Joes sea salt & turbinado sugar chocolate almonds that Marie brought with her when she visited. Aka the snack I COULD NOT STOP EATING. Have you ever tried them before? If so, you know the struggle.

Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds

Turns out, making them at home is cheaper. Don’t know if that is a wonderful or terrible (dangerous) thing. Oh, and homemade always tastes better than store-bought. Case in point.

The number one ingredient is, duh, almonds. Since there are so little ingredients in this snack, make sure you’re using high quality. The almonds? Diamond of California. No ifs, ands, or buts. Fresh, unsalted, nutrient-dense whole almonds. Doesn’t get much healthier than that! And now, the chocolate.

I’d like to take a dip in there myself!

Whoaaa. That sounded really awkward. You know what I mean.

Remember, quality ingredients are key. Use pure chocolate (not chocolate chips). I opted for bittersweet chocolate, but semi-sweet works just as well. If sweeter chocolate is more your style, milk or even white chocolate works too.

A helpful tool = this 3-piece dipping tool set. These inexpensive tools will be your lifesaver when you begin making Sally’s Candy Addiction recipes next month! I use the 3-pronged tool for these to help lift the almonds out of the chocolate pool and shake off as much excess chocolate as I can. It helped me separate the almonds so I wasn’t left with chocolate almond clusters– rather, individual chocolate almonds.

The finishing touch is a sprinkle of sea salt and turbinado sugar (I use Sugar In The Raw). Any coarse sugar works! I loooooove the added crunch the sugar gives and the flavor balance of the sea salt. The nuts are wonderful simply coated in chocolate, but the light sprinkle of sugar & salt turns them up about 10 notches.

Only 4 simple, convenient ingredients transformed into something extraordinary. And within minutes too! Plus, they’re a good source of protein, energy, and let’s not forget all that glorious sweet and salty crunch. Mmm. Seriously, make these today.

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds

A chocolate treat to feel good about!

Ingredients:

• 6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet high quality chocolate
  • 1 and 1/2 cups Diamond of California whole almonds (raw and unsalted)
  • sea salt
  • turbinado sugar (or any coarse/raw sugar)

Directions:

1. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or (carefully!) use the microwave. For the microwave, place the chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment until completely melted and smooth. Alternatively, you can temper the chocolate. If tempering, do not store finished nuts in the refrigerator.
  3. Stir the almonds into the chocolate, making sure to coat each one. Using a dipping tool or a fork, lift the almonds out of the chocolate one by one or only a couple at a time (you don't want them all sticking together!), gently tap the tool/fork against the side of the bowl to release excess chocolate, and place onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining almonds.
  4. Sprinkle almonds with a little sea salt and turbinado sugar, then allow chocolate to completely set. I placed the baking sheet in the refrigerator to speed it up!
  5. Store chocolate covered almonds in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.

Recipe Notes:

For extra flavor, try toasting the almonds first! Simply spread them out onto a large baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes at 300°F (149°C). Allow to slightly cool before coating with chocolate.

Did you make a recipe?

Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.

Another healthier treat? Try my mint chocolate energy bites!

Mint Chocolate Energy Bites

I’m working with Diamond of California to bring you today’s recipe. Thank you for helping me work with brands I love!

A simple, gluten free, healthy chocolate treat to feel good about! These sea salt chocolate almonds are soooo good!
A simple, gluten free, healthy chocolate treat to feel good about! These dark chocolate sea salt almonds are soooo good!

Comments

1. Jenny Kim on August 29, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Oh yeah, those look awesome, and they do look like they would taste better than Trader Joes.

2. Erika on August 30, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Oooh, I got addicted to the Trader Joe’s version of these — I bet they’re even better handmade!

3. Ann lu on August 31, 2015 at 9:44 am

I made this the other day and it was wonderfull!!! i opted out the sugar and instead used salt. AMAZING!!! thanks again!!!

——–Ann Lu——–

4. Kayle (The Cooking Actress) on September 4, 2015 at 11:12 am

mmmm the best kind of healthy snack involves salted dark chocolate! 😀

5. Brenya on September 18, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I am trying these tonight! Only instead of almonds, I am going to try cashews. Thought I’d switch it up! (and cashews were on sale at The Bulk Barn) haha.

6. Maria luisa on September 30, 2015 at 12:01 am

We like very much all you show to us, we are a group of ladies and do too much recipes from you, and thanks a lot for this, but we live in mexico, near the frontier of US, and we need to ask you if you can translate your recipes and all you share to us to spanish and then we can enjoy a lot more your beautiful job, pardon me about my bad english, i hope you can help us with this.   Your trouly.  Maria luisa robledo

7. Janine on December 13, 2015 at 9:04 am

I made these a couple weeks ago with the intention of giving them as teacher gifts. We ate them. So I made a double batch and I packaged them up, so we wouldn’t eat them all. But…we ate those too. Oops!

8. Ruth on December 15, 2015 at 3:22 am

Thank you for this recipie Sally.  I bougt a big bag of chocolate covered salted almonds in Costco last year and it is soooo good.  No Costco here in Iceland , so this is going to be my new christmas treat , cant wait to make it.

9. Felicia on December 17, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Hi Sally, Would these melt if I left them out for a day or two? I was planning to make some as a christmas treat but I would have to fly 6 hours with them on a plane. not sure if they would still be presentable after that? Thanks!

• Sally on December 18, 2015 at 8:19 am

They’ll be just fine traveling! As long as they’re not in a super humid, 100 degree environment 🙂

10. April on December 21, 2015 at 10:08 pm

I made these tonight and they are amazing!  I made a double batch thinking I’d give some as gifts and have some for the family on Christmas but I’m seriously starting to doubt that they will make it that long

11. Karen Hochman on February 24, 2016 at 3:49 pm

Sally ,

can I publish your chocolate-covered almonds photo (https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2015/08/24/healthier-treat-dark-chocolate-sea-salt-almonds/) on my blog? I will of course credit you and link to you.

Thanks for your consideration, Karen Hochman

12. Kelly on March 15, 2016 at 10:49 pm

These look and sound incredible, yum!

xx Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

13. Natasha on June 7, 2016 at 9:57 am

I made these last night and can’t stop eating them; dinner, dessert, now breakfast!

14. Lyn Toney on June 8, 2016 at 2:45 pm

I LOVE dark chocolate and sea salt.  I’m intrigued to try with the raw sugar too!  Do these have to be refrigerated? I would like to make for gifts and not sure what to tell my recipients??

• Sally on June 9, 2016 at 7:41 am

I like to refrigerate them. They’re so good cold!

15. Nola on June 12, 2016 at 9:42 pm

I made these and they are really good, but I used Ghirardelli chocolate and every time I pick one up it immediately melts on my hand.  Probably would be better with melting chocolates?  I let it set a long time too.  Really delicious though.

• Sally on June 14, 2016 at 8:22 am

You can try melting chocolates if you’d like!

16. Planète Chocolat on June 27, 2016 at 5:16 pm

This looks positively scrumptious, we need to try this…and SOON!

17. apge123 on July 26, 2016 at 1:43 pm

Literally just found this website and made them in 2 minutes

amaze.

18. Lynette on November 15, 2016 at 11:36 am

Do you think dry roasted (salted) almonds that I purchased at Costco would work?

• Sally on November 16, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Yes, definitely!

19. Alisa on February 11, 2017 at 1:59 am

You just made my day with this post. I will keep it in mind for next family get together.

20. Kathy on August 17, 2017 at 10:43 am

Specifically what chocolate do you recommend? You said not chocolate chips, even something like the 60% cacao bittersweet? Love the Costco choc covered also but they are only ‘seasonal’ so would love to make these. Thanks.

• Sally on August 17, 2017 at 7:54 pm

I love Ghirardelli or Baker’s brand semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolates.

21. Edith Meyee on November 12, 2017 at 9:56 am

These look amazing!! I️ think I’ll try 85% dark chocolate. At least 70% dark chocolate is the heart healthiest. The higher the percentage the more flavonoid, anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory

22. Paule on December 10, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I would like to make these for Christmas gifts to mail…….will it hurt them not being refrigerated?

• Sally on December 10, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Should be just fine, as long as they aren’t being shipped in extremely hot weather.

Reviews