A chocolate treat to feel good about!
For many reasons!
(2) It’s DARK chocolate. ♥
(3) Simple. 4 ingredients.
(4) Wholesome and healthy. Well, compared to skillet brownies at least.
(5) Sweet and salty! Sweet and salty!
These were inspired by a carton of Trader Joes sea salt & turbinado sugar chocolate almonds that Marie brought with her when she visited. Aka the snack I COULD NOT STOP EATING. Have you ever tried them before? If so, you know the struggle.
Turns out, making them at home is cheaper. Don’t know if that is a wonderful or terrible (dangerous) thing. Oh, and homemade always tastes better than store-bought. Case in point.
The number one ingredient is, duh, almonds. Since there are so little ingredients in this snack, make sure you’re using high quality. The almonds? Diamond of California. No ifs, ands, or buts. Fresh, unsalted, nutrient-dense whole almonds. Doesn’t get much healthier than that! And now, the chocolate.
I’d like to take a dip in there myself!
Whoaaa. That sounded really awkward. You know what I mean.
Remember, quality ingredients are key. Use pure chocolate (not chocolate chips). I opted for bittersweet chocolate, but semi-sweet works just as well. If sweeter chocolate is more your style, milk or even white chocolate works too.
A helpful tool = this 3-piece dipping tool set. These inexpensive tools will be your lifesaver when you begin making Sally’s Candy Addiction recipes next month! I use the 3-pronged tool for these to help lift the almonds out of the chocolate pool and shake off as much excess chocolate as I can. It helped me separate the almonds so I wasn’t left with chocolate almond clusters– rather, individual chocolate almonds.
The finishing touch is a sprinkle of sea salt and turbinado sugar (I use Sugar In The Raw). Any coarse sugar works! I loooooove the added crunch the sugar gives and the flavor balance of the sea salt. The nuts are wonderful simply coated in chocolate, but the light sprinkle of sugar & salt turns them up about 10 notches.
Only 4 simple, convenient ingredients transformed into something extraordinary. And within minutes too! Plus, they’re a good source of protein, energy, and let’s not forget all that glorious sweet and salty crunch. Mmm. Seriously, make these today.
Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make! ♥
Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almonds
A chocolate treat to feel good about!
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet high quality chocolate
- 1 and 1/2 cups Diamond of California whole almonds (raw and unsalted)
- sea salt
- turbinado sugar (or any coarse/raw sugar)
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or (carefully!) use the microwave. For the microwave, place the chocolate in a medium heat-proof bowl. Melt in 30 second increments, stirring after each increment until completely melted and smooth. Alternatively, you can temper the chocolate. If tempering, do not store finished nuts in the refrigerator.
- Stir the almonds into the chocolate, making sure to coat each one. Using a dipping tool or a fork, lift the almonds out of the chocolate one by one or only a couple at a time (you don't want them all sticking together!), gently tap the tool/fork against the side of the bowl to release excess chocolate, and place onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining almonds.
- Sprinkle almonds with a little sea salt and turbinado sugar, then allow chocolate to completely set. I placed the baking sheet in the refrigerator to speed it up!
- Store chocolate covered almonds in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.
For extra flavor, try toasting the almonds first! Simply spread them out onto a large baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes at 300°F (149°C). Allow to slightly cool before coating with chocolate.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
Another healthier treat? Try my mint chocolate energy bites!
I’m working with Diamond of California to bring you today’s recipe. Thank you for helping me work with brands I love!