Saturday Seven

Sprinkle cookie ice cream sandwiches on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Any fun plans this weekend? My first official weekend of summer will be spent with friends. I’ve been in the kitchen everyday this week testing new recipes and getting ahead on content and, quite frankly, I’m happy to get *out* of the kitchen for some real life fun! Today we’re headed to a big picnic and tomorrow we have all-you-can-eat brunch plans with friends. That includes all-you-can-drink mimosas or, in my case, all you can drink… orange juice.

Coming Up

Facebook LIVE events next week: Wednesday June 28th at 1pm ET & Saturday, July 1st at 1pm ET. I’m beginning a weekly baking demo at 1pm ET on Wednesdays, so mark your calendars each week! On Wednesday, we’ll make fruit pizza decked out for 4th of July and on Saturday… July’s Baking Challenge recipe! Excited to bake with you twice in 1 week. Did you miss this past week’s video? Here it is!

Also…

1) You see those ice cream sandwiches above? I have a super fun recipe coming next week, so check back!

2) I bookmarked this article this week regarding work/life balance and thought you might appreciate it too. This is something I always struggle with. However, hiring help and turning off electronics in the evening has vastly improved my mindset. (And technology-free date nights too!) I love all 5 of these steps, especially the “cut the crap” one. I LOL’d reading it, but it’s so true! Especially the part about eliminating negative self talk.

3) I’m googly eyed over this s’mores slab pie. Did you read that? S’mores. Slab. Pie.

4) I made a gazillion loaves of zucchini bread this week. It’s Kevin’s fave. I froze 2 loaves to enjoy later in the summer. Looking to lighten it up? I also have this greek yogurt chocolate zucchini bread recipe and greek yogurt zucchini bread recipe.

5) Today is the start of my 3rd trimester! I cannot believe how quickly time is flying by. I feel pretty good minus some typical round ligament pain and exhaustion. In between long work days, I’ve been resting and kicking up my feet frequently. The tiredness and pain isn’t an excuse to complain; I’m just so grateful to be on this journey to motherhood. ♥

6) Thank you for all the TV show suggestions last weekend! Just started watching This Is Us on demand.

7) It’s been awhile since I snapped a really great picture of these two goons together!!

Jude and Franklin June 2017

Make it a good one!

Posted in

Comments

1. Iram on June 24, 2017 at 2:14 am

Sally is your pregnancy getting any harder now days are hotter? Are you okay these days? I am making your hummingbird cake again and your apple oatmeal cookies. Pls take care

• Sally on June 24, 2017 at 9:16 am

It’s getting more uncomfortable with the heat, yes– and as I grow! Enjoy both recipes. I love those apple cookies!

2. Jenny from jennyisbaking.com on June 24, 2017 at 4:48 am

Thanks for sharing the article. I also like your idea of having specific evenings free of anything online-related.
    I got a severe cold (in summer!) with fever and everything. That for me is always a sign to cut back a little and rest. So my weekend will be mainly doing nothing, which is also fun for a change.

• Sally on June 24, 2017 at 9:14 am

Feel better!

3. Caley on June 24, 2017 at 5:26 am

I’m glad you are feeling mostly good! I hope you can stay comfortable and cool during summer 🙂 I can’t wait to see the recipe for those cookie sandwiches; they look amazing and fun!

4. Mia on June 24, 2017 at 6:49 am

Glad to hear you’re feeling mostly ok! I’m not, but I can deal if it gets me a healthy baby. Today is my official first day of doctoring, and it’s going to be a long one. Tomorrow will be all about family, food, and my couch!

• Sally on June 24, 2017 at 9:14 am

Have a relaxing weekend!

5. Patricia @Sweet and Strong on June 24, 2017 at 9:33 am

Oh This Is Us is SO good.  It took me awhile to get into it, but soon my husband and I were hooked.  And have fun all the all you can eat brunch, I bet it’s nice to have someone else cook every so often.  🙂

6. Andrea on June 24, 2017 at 9:58 am

I think Frank will forever look like a puppy!

• Sally on June 25, 2017 at 8:42 am

HAHA I know right? He really will!!

7. Debi on June 24, 2017 at 10:31 am

Dear Sally, congratulations on making it to the third trimester ! Hope it goes easily for you. Love the dog pic !

• Sally on June 25, 2017 at 8:41 am

Thanks Debi!

8. Alexis deZayas on June 24, 2017 at 11:24 am

I need to check out that ice cream sandwich recipe! Looks amazing!

9. Judy McKee on June 24, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Oh Sally I know the summer heat is so uncomfortable for you, but you are doing right by staying indoors with your feet up as much as possible. I had my first two boys around Christmas (therefore no hot summer to suffer through), but my third son (not planned 10 yrs later), came early August & I did suffer the summer heat. (Now I’m almost 80, & every month bothers me, LOL) . Planning is a good thing, but it doesn’t always happen like we want.. Get all the rest you can, but sneak in some of your amazing, delicious recipes when you feel up to it. God’s Blessings, Judy

• Sally on June 25, 2017 at 8:40 am

Thanks for the advice Judy 🙂

10. Char R on June 24, 2017 at 1:13 pm

I had my children in June and July and the heat can get to you…(it still does me….and I’m in the grandma stage of my life..LOVE my grandsons!) I am going to make the geek yogurt zucchini recipe soon. We all love zucchini bread around here. Can’t wait to see that ice cream sandwich post…I want one of those NOW!

11. Char R on June 24, 2017 at 1:15 pm

opps…I meant to say greek yogurt zucchini bread …not GEEK. HA!

• Sally on June 25, 2017 at 8:38 am

HAHA I knew what you meant 😉

12. Kimberly Smalley on June 24, 2017 at 2:35 pm

I love This Is Us!! Because of This Is Us, I started binge watching Parenthood and absolutely adore that show as well. Currently into season 3, but trying to slow down because there are only 6 seasons and I don’t want it to be over too soon! By the way, I finally purchased the Americolor food coloring and am getting ready to try those two-toned frosted cupcakes that were part of the April (I believe) Baking Challenge. So excited!! Thanks for all your totally awesome recipes!! Hope you have a safe and easy third trimester 🙂

• Sally on June 25, 2017 at 8:37 am

You convinced me to watch Parenthood next! And I’m glad you tried the two-toned roses. Aren’t they just so pretty? So simple too.

13. Cindy on June 24, 2017 at 2:37 pm

That Award Winning Zucchini Bread looks So good. The streusel looks to die for – can’t wait to make it!

• Sally on June 25, 2017 at 8:37 am

Enjoy enjoy!!

14. Katherine on June 24, 2017 at 7:09 pm

Those ice cream sandwiches look great, and 4th of July fruit pizza sounds so fun! My main plans this weekend were to film a recipe video for my new muffin recipe, but unfortunately my camera did something weird part way through and the whole thing ended up being a wash. (Don’t you love that?) Oh, well. The muffins tasted good anyway. 😉

• Sally on June 25, 2017 at 8:36 am

Technology has a way of “breaking” at the most convenient times, right?!

15. Miriam on June 25, 2017 at 6:19 am

Sally,
    My fridge is stocked with zucchini waiting to be make into savory zucchini muffins. The kids’ teeth…ya know. 😉 Thanks for the link to the work-life balance article. That’s important for ALL of us!
    My youngest was born at the beginning of September. Yeah, we went out and bought an air conditioner.
    Feel good!

• Sally on June 25, 2017 at 8:33 am

Thanks Miriam! And I’ve love to try a savory zucchini muffin recipe sometime. Sounds good!

16. Cristina on June 25, 2017 at 11:06 am

Hi Sally! I would love it if you could consider making a version of Homemade Lofthouse Cookies! Soooo good!

• Sally on June 26, 2017 at 9:47 am

Great idea!

17. Sharon Keen on June 26, 2017 at 7:40 am

Hi Sally! Hope your picnics were fun this past weekend AND you got to rest too! Unfortunately, the growth of weeds in my garden dictated what I HAD to do this past weekend, so I never got to make your chocolate cupcakes! I plan on making for the Holiday weekend a “mixed batch”…your Raspberry Icing on those Chocolate cupcakes looked mouthwatering and since the base of both recipes are a chocolate cupcake, why not? We have 2 picnics this weekend so I can divide the batches up in 1/2 for each one! What Wilton Tip# did you use on your Chocolate Iced cupcakes? Thanks! I Can’t Wait!

• Sally on June 26, 2017 at 9:43 am