Here's to 2018!

Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting on sallysbakingaddiction.com

With the start of a new year, an opportunity for growth is upon us.

On a personal level, my 2018 goal is to experience the world with my husband and daughter. It’s easy for me to get caught in the live-to-work cycle, but I’d much rather hang out in a work-to-live pattern. This is a goal for me every January, but as I get deeper into the year– I often put life on hold and work until I’m fried. Life completely passes by me. I take on more projects than I can handle and end up saying yes to anything that flies in my inbox. I have total control over it, I have the ability to say no, but it happens every year.

As a new mom, my priorities have changed and *work-to-live* is on the forefront of my mind. But even if you aren’t a new parent, 2018 is a wonderful time to begin treating yourself with more grace, allowing for breaks, and really putting a work/life balance into practice. For me, this means doing anything that makes me feel alive. Travel, exercise, hiking, photography, finding new running trails, reading, concerts, girls’ nights, mommy & me classes, working on Noelle’s baby book, starting traditions, cooking new foods with my hubs, broadway shows, decorating cakes and cookies for fun (rainbow piñata cake!), date nights, play dates, volunteering, dog parks. And I find the more life I experience, the more I have to write about on my blog!!! So this whole work/life balance thing is a win-win situation. 🙂

And, like the past couple years, I hope to push through life with a positive attitude while leaving the negativity and self-limiting behaviors in the dust.

And for work? My main work-related goals for 2018 are to (1) keep my content organic and (2) step outside of my baking comfort zone. I’ve already started testing some completely fresh, new, and challenging recipes. A lot of them are on your request list, too!

Of course we can’t look ahead without glancing back. And if I could sum up 2017 in one word, it would be hustle. 2017 was an increasingly challenging year for me as I faced two major deadlines (book! baby!) but as I reflect over the past year, I’m immensely grateful that I kicked my own butt!!! Forget the “work hard play hard” mantra, I’d rather live by “work hard rest hard.” Who’s with me?

Hustling allowed me to kick up my feet and take time off. And you know what I learned? Taking a break, from whatever it is, helps you stay inspired and invigorated. Again, a win-win situation. ♥

And, finally, here are the top 10 recipes of 2017! I gathered these popular recipes from looking at the page views of my posts as well as the positive reviews/comments. If you’re looking for the best of the best on SBA, these 10 recipes are it.

10. Chocolate Lava Cakes

I’m happy a recipe published in 2017 made the top 10 list. It’s usually older recipes that get more page views! And, as a bonus, this was the 1st baking challenge recipe. So it’s extra special. Chocolate lava helps too. Get the recipe.

Chocolate lava cakes on sallysbakingaddiction.com

9. Red Velvet Cake

Much more than a vanilla cake tinted red. Get the recipe.

8. Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies

4 years going strong. One of my personal favorites too! Get the recipe.

Cake batter chocolate chip cookies on sallysbakingaddiction.com

7. Soft Sugar Cookies

My go-to!!! Get the recipe.

Soft sugar cookies on sallysbakingaddiction.com

6. Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

Another one that I posted in 2017! These are the cupcakes pictured above on the green backdrop, too. Get the recipe.

Super moist chocolate cupcakes on sallysbakingaddiction.com

5. Best Banana Cake

The best I’ve ever had. Get the recipe.

4. Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies

So many cookies in the top 10. And I’m not surprised these made the cut.

Get the recipe.

Soft chocolate chip cookies on sallysbakingaddiction.com

3. Lemon Blueberry Cake

Always a favorite! Get the recipe.

2. Honey Garlic Shrimp

This simple dinner recipe shows up on the top 10 list for the 2nd year in a row. Always makes me giggle seeing a shrimp recipe in a sea of popular cakes and cookies.

Get the recipe.

1. Salted Caramel

Because it’s LIQUID GOLD!!! Get the recipe.

Salted caramel on sallysbakingaddiction.com

As always, thank you for making this dream career a reality. I’m sincerely grateful for this uplifting community!

Comments

1. Pamela Piatt on January 5, 2018 at 8:12 pm

I saw your new book, “Sally’s Cookie Addiction,” come out this week in the library where I work and it was quickly snatched up before I could get my hands on it – and I work there!! LOL.

• Sally on January 6, 2018 at 10:17 am

HAHA!! Well I hope you can take a look at it soon 🙂

2. Traci Walther on January 5, 2018 at 11:54 pm

Sally here’s to a fabulous 2018! Work life balance is definitely something I struggle with to and I know I don’t feel inspired when I’ve over worked myself. This year I’m working to continue bringing more positivity and light into my life by surrounding myself through things and people I love. I’m so looking forward to reading your blog and baking your delicious recipes! Happy New Year!

• Sally on January 6, 2018 at 10:17 am

I love your goals. 🙂 Happy New Year Traci!

3. Sally K on January 6, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Happy New year dear Sally and to your family!
    I have made 9 of the top ten recipes of yours. The one I have not made yet are the Lava Cakes
    It is on the horizon!
    The 9 recipes I have made of yours were so awesome! Everyone a home run!!!
    Thanks Sally

4. Carrie Acevedo on January 8, 2018 at 10:24 pm

Hi Sally – Happy New Year! I ran into your Honey Garlic Shrimp recipe today, which led me to your Maple Sesame Salmon recipe. I made it tonight and it was amazing! Thank you! I, too, am starting 2018 with a work/life balance mission. My goal is to reconnect with my 2 daughters and husband after working full time for 19 years – time flies and then they’re teenagers! I look forward to trying more of your recipes and reading your blog.

• Sally on January 9, 2018 at 6:40 am

Wonderful goals for the new year! Time with family (and not working!) is always well spent. Love that maple salmon. One of my favorite dinner recipes!

5. Taylor on January 10, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Hi Sally! Just wanted to say you are my favorite go to gal for the best recipes that never disappoint. I bought 2 of your books this year and probably use them twice a week! I’ve really been looking for the best lemon cookie recipe. I’ve tried a few online that are good, but just not “sally” good. I’d love to see a lemon cookie recipe from you! Lemon recipes are the light of my winter… I mean they do brighten it up just enough to get by 😉

• Sally on January 11, 2018 at 7:14 am

Hi Taylor! Thank you for your kind comment! I’m actually working on two lemon cookie recipes in the coming months. 🙂 I have lemon cookies in Sally’s Cookie Addiction (the lemon creme cookie sandwiches). You should try them!

6. Ellie Meadeelli÷ on March 2, 2018 at 11:11 am

The Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread is the BOMB! I changed the chocolate chips to mini chips! Keeps great at room temp or in the fridge. The grandkids love it and decimate it! I am the baking grandma!

• Sally on March 2, 2018 at 1:45 pm

I’m so happy it’s a hit with the grandkids! Mini chocolate chips work great!

Reviews