Fudgy homemade brownie cupcakes with cookie dough frosting on top. One incredible dessert that you’ll want to make again and again!
There’s also nothing like kicking off the summer with dense fudgy brownies, cupcakes, and cookie dough. Step aside bikini…
These fudge brownie cupcakes are so chocolatey that your head will spin. They aren’t light and fluffy like regular cupcakes, nor are they as dense as brownies. But they are so rich, so moist, so fudgy, and will practically melt in your mouth. Eating one is by far, the best chocolate experience I’ve ever had. Yes, the brownie cupcakes themselves are an experience.
Now, let’s move on to the frosting. It’s like pure (egg-free!) cookie dough, but smooth enough to slather onto a cupcake or a graham cracker or a pretzel (trust me).
I’m really just going to shut up with the blabber because… let’s face it, when you put a brownie & a cupcake & cookie dough together, there really are no words. Like I said before, step aside bikini.
Fudge Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting
- 4 ounces unsweetened or bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I used Ghirardelli)
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (94g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Cookie Dough Frosting
- 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temp
- 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2 Tablespoons (140g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (60ml) milk (I used vanilla almond milk, but soy or regular would be fine)
- 1 cup (180g) mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with baking cups or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Melt the chopped chocolate and sliced butter together in the microwave in 30 second increments, stirring after each until completely smooth and combined. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Stir in sugar, then vanilla. Add in eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each addition. Mix in the flour and salt.
- Pour batter into 12 muffin tins and bake for 20-23 minutes. Mine took 22 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center will have moist crumbs. Be careful not to overbake the cupcakes.
- For the frosting: While the cupcakes are cooling in the pan, make the frosting. With an electric or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar at medium speed. Add the vanilla and beat well. Stir in the flour and salt until doughy. Stir in the milk and beat until fluffy. Gently fold in chocolate chips. Frost cooled cupcakes.
*I find these cupcakes are best served cold. I kept mine in the fridge. It also helped to avoid the cookie dough frosting from melting.
*You could easily use boxed brownie mix as a shortcut, but you would need to adjust the frosting accordingly since the cookie dough frosting recipe below only makes enough for 10-12 cupcakes.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
Here are some more sweets from my kitchen you will enjoy!