These mini key lime pies are everything we love about classic key lime pie baked in individual servings. Each mini pie has a buttery graham cracker crust and smooth, creamy key lime filling. Top with homemade whipped cream and lime slices for a refreshing treat!
Summer and key lime pie go together like Ben and Jerry, mac and cheese, vacation and margaritas. Key lime pie is the type of dessert that takes minimal effort, which makes it perfect when the weather’s warm. AKA when there are a million other things you’d rather do than spend the afternoon in a hot kitchen.
What makes key lime pie even easier (and quicker)? Bake it in a muffin pan rather than in a pie pan. Less bake time, less slicing, less chill time. Plus (and this is the best part!) it is perfectly acceptable to have more than one. Not to mention, mini key lime pies are totally kid-friendly. Little hands, little appetites, little pies! I love these things.
Why You’ll Love these Mini Key Lime Pies
- Quick and simple to prepare
- Just as delicious as key lime pie bars
- Baked in a muffin pan
- Each bite is buttery, sweet, and a little tart
- Cool and refreshing
- Perfect for sharing at picnics, BBQs, and pool parties
- The ultimate summer dessert
2 Parts to Mini Key Lime Pies
And only 7 ingredients in the entire recipe.
- Graham Cracker Crust: We use my favorite graham cracker crust for the base of today’s pies. I use this crust recipe for pies, cakes, cheesecakes, and more. The buttery and slightly crisp texture is the exact contrast I want with these little key lime pies. You only need 3 ingredients– butter, graham crackers, and sugar– so you know it’s good. To ensure a compact crust, make sure you press the mixture tightly into each individual muffin cup. You’ll use a little over 1 Tablespoon of crust in each individual pie.
- Key Lime Pie Filling: Our key lime pie filling is tart, sweet, and creamy– exactly as key lime pie should be. Cream cheese acts as the base of the filling, providing a little structure and a subtle cheesecake flavor. (By the way, if you like key lime pie and cheesecake, you have to try my key lime cheesecake.) Also adding a little structure, as well as a rich texture, are egg yolks. To those, we’ll add sweetened condensed milk and key lime juice. For best flavor make sure you use key lime juice, though regular lime juice works in a pinch.
Use a Standard Muffin Pan
We use a standard size muffin pan for today’s mini key lime pies, not a mini muffin pan. Line your pan with liners, then layer in the graham cracker crust. Try to really pack it down– sometimes I use the back of a teaspoon to help along the edges. Pre-bake the crust for a few minutes, then pour the filling evenly onto each crust. After they’re baked, let them cool at room temperature then place the entire muffin pan in the refrigerator for a couple hours. They’re quicker to make, chill, and serve than a traditional key lime pie, and cuter, too! 🙂
Is it just me or do teeny tiny versions of food taste better? Individual key lime pies > actual key lime pie.Print
What’s better than key lime pie? Little mini key lime pies!
- 1 and 1/2 cups (150g) graham cracker crumbs (about 10 full sheet graham crackers)
- 6 Tablespoons (87g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
- 4 ounces (112g) full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 4 large egg yolks
- one 14 ounce can (396g) full-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) key lime juice*
- optional: lime slices and whipped cream for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-count muffin pan with liners and a second 12-count muffin pan with only 4 (since this recipe makes only around 16). Set pans aside.
- Make the crust: Before you begin, here are all of my tips for a perfect graham cracker crust. If you’re starting out with full-sheet graham crackers, you can use a food processor or blender to grind them up. Or crush them in a zipped top bag with a rolling pin. Mix the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and granulated sugar together with a rubber spatula in a medium bowl until combined. The mixture will be thick, coarse, and sandy. Press a heaping Tablespoon of mixture down into each liner, making sure the crust is tight and compact. You might have a little crust leftover. If so, press a little more into each liner—if desired! Pre-bake the crusts for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Make the filling: In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese on high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. On medium-high speed, beat in the egg yolks, scraping down the sides as needed. On high speed, beat in the sweetened condensed milk and lime juice until combined.
- Pour the filling evenly into each crust. Bake for 15-16 minutes or until the centers of the pies only slightly jiggle (I check this by wiggling the muffin pan—with an oven mitt on– while it’s still in the oven). Allow the pies to cool at room temperature in the pan set on a wire rack. Once completely cool, place the pan in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Once chilled, serve the key lime pies cold with whipped cream and a lime slice if desired. Store leftover pies in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 1 week. If they last that long!
- Make Ahead & Freezing Instructions: Up to 1 day in advance, you can prepare the crust ingredients and the filling ingredients separately. Store each covered tightly in the refrigerator until ready to assemble and bake. Likewise, as noted in set 4, you can bake the key lime pies and store in the refrigerator for 1 day before serving. Key lime pies freeze well, up to 2-3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.
- Key Lime Juice: For the best flavor, make sure you use key lime juice. You can juice your own key limes or buy it from the store. It is usually with the regular lime and lemon juice in the juice aisle. I buy Nellie & Joe’s brand (pictured in my key lime pie bars post). In a pinch, you can use regular lime juice.
- For a Full-Size Key Lime Pie: This is the same exact recipe I use for classic key lime pie (and sometimes I add the zest of 1 lime to the filling, which you can add to these mini pies as well). To make the pie, simply use this crust and filling recipe. Press crust into a 9-inch pie dish. Pre-bake for 12 minutes at 350°F (177°C). Pour in filling. Bake for 18 minutes, then allow to cool at room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator for 4 hours – overnight.
- Adapted from Key Lime Pie Bars.
Keywords: mini key lime pies