My very favorite recipe for pizza dip. Loaded with your favorite pizza toppings, this lightened-up pizza dip comes together in a snap. (And is eaten even quicker…)
Here’s my absolute favorite pizza dip recipe. Here’s why it’s my fave: it’s lightened up from the full fat version you know and love. Sacrificing none of the outstanding pizza flavor, of course.
(I know what you’re thinking already. Ew! Olives! The olives are optional. I love olives as much as I love walnuts in my brownies and dare I say it? Raisins in my cookies.)
I’ve been making this dip for years and with Super Bowl Sunday right around the corner, I’m so excited to finally share the recipe with you. Who are you rooting for this year? Actually, I don’t want to cause any fights in the comments section.
I’m rooting for pizza dip.
Everything you love about a fat slice of cheesy pepperoni pizza baked together and scooped up with your favorite tortilla chips. Doesn’t that sound great? It is. And it doesn’t get much better than this. I always start the recipe with cream cheese and Greek yogurt. I like to use low fat cream cheese and nonfat Greek yogurt. I have a bone to pick with nonfat cream cheese. It’s just… not good. At all. Nonfat Greek yogurt, on the other hand, is one of my favorite ingredients when I’m baking and cooking lighter fare. I call it a “power” ingredient. The two mixed together form the base of this cheesy dip. I like to mix in a little garlic powder to give this creamy layer some flavor and pizazz.
Spread this goodness into a pan. A pie pan, a cake pan, a casserole dish, whatever. It all works here. Next? A little pizza sauce. I do not make the pizza sauce from scratch. Eden Organic (I find it at Whole Foods) makes a really tasty organic pizza sauce that I typically use, but just use your favorite. Homemade or store-bought!
Next is mozzarella cheese. Shredded is best for this dip. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the sauce. Next are your toppings. Sometimes I use the mini pepperonis because they’re so dang cute. You can use regular size, whichever you prefer. I also use turkey pepperonis, but regular is just fine. If you like green peppers, sausage, etc. on your pizza, go ahead… throw it all on top here.
The more loaded, the better.
I finish the dip off a little dried oregano and dried basil. Bake it all in the oven until the cheese is bubbly. Serve warm with tortilla chips and dig in. Start to finish, only about 30-35 minutes. Not too bad! This dip packs so much pizza flavor in every single bite and whenever I make it, no one pays attention to the TV screen. Touch down.
Maybe not as healthy as a plate of broccoli, but certainly a lightened-up version of the higher fat dip. And it’s absolutely my favorite.Print
My very favorite recipe for pizza dip. Loaded with your favorite pizza toppings, this lightened-up pizza dip comes together in a snap and is gobbled up even quicker.
- 8 ounces low fat (or full fat) cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt (or full fat or low fat or sour cream works too)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- toppings such as: 1-2 Tablespoons sliced black olives, 1/4 cup mini pepperonis,* 1/2 cup crumbled cooked sausage, 1/4 cup chopped green pepper etc.
- 2 Tablespoons grated parmesan
- ground basil, to taste
- ground oregano, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese, Greek yogurt, and garlic powder in a medium bowl until smooth and creamy. Spread into the bottom of a 9-inch pie dish, cake pan, or similar size casserole dish.
- Spread the pizza sauce evenly over the cream cheese layer. Sprinkle evenly with cheese. Top with your toppings of choice, then sprinkle with grated parmesan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with basil and oregano. Serve hot with your favorite chips, raw veggies, pita wedges, etc. Cover any leftovers and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Make Ahead Instructions: You may assemble this dip up to 1 day ahead of time. Cover tightly and refrigerate. Before serving, bake as directed.
- Mini Pepperonis: Several pieces of regular size pepperoni also work. I used turkey pepperoni in these pictures.
Keywords: pepperoni pizza dip, healthy pizza dip