Made from 6 ingredient homemade pizza dough, these easy cheesy breadsticks are a totally irresistible side dish or snack. Brush the dough with a little butter, garlic, herb seasoning, then top with lots of mozzarella cheese. Less than 15 minutes bake time!
My homemade pizza dough recipe has been on my blog for nearly 6 years, but I revamped the post with new photos, extra recipe notes & tips, and a video tutorial. I’ve had so much pizza dough in the kitchen, so I decided to try something BESIDES pizza: homemade cheesy breadsticks. By the way, my pizza dough also makes awesome garlic knots, too!
To say these homemade breadsticks are delicious is a gigantic understatement, especially when dipped in your favorite marinara or pizza sauce. These cheesy breadsticks are covered with butter, garlic & herbs, and mozzarella cheese. Bake until golden and you have a side that majorly competes with the main dish.
Does any other food even exist when you have cheese + garlic + bread? (Homemade cheese bread agrees– no other food matters!)
Cheesy Breadsticks Dough
You can make these breadsticks with 1/2 pound of store-bought or homemade pizza dough. My homemade pizza dough yields about 1 lb of dough, which is enough for 2 pizzas or 1 pizza and 1 batch of cheesy breadsticks. If you only need 1 batch of breadsticks, freeze the other half of dough for another time. You will want to make these cheesy breadsticks again.
Even though store-bought dough is super convenient, I urge you to try homemade pizza dough sometime! The dough requires 6 basic ingredients and about 60-90 minutes to rise.
Most of the “work” is hands-off and the flavor is *outstanding.*
Baking with Yeast Guide
Reference this Baking with Yeast Guide whenever you work with baker’s yeast. I include practical answers to all of your common yeast questions.
Let’s Make Homemade Cheesy Breadsticks
Once you have your pizza dough ready, here’s what comes next:
- Shape: Shape the dough into a rectangle. The dough wants to be round, so do your best to shape into a rectangle that’s around 9×13 inches. Doesn’t need to be perfect. Cheesy breadsticks taste awesome no matter what shape!
- Top: Top the dough with melted butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning blend. Dried basil or your favorite herb works too. Sprinkle with a generous amount of cheese. I love mozzarella cheese, but you can use your favorite.
- Bake: Bake the breadsticks at a very high temperature so the cheese melts and the edges crisp up. These breadsticks bake in less than 15 minutes!
Flavor Tip: Sprinkle cornmeal on the lined baking sheet. Cornmeal adds a lovely crisp.
Quick Video Tutorial
These cheesy breadsticks are easier than you expect and the best addition to pizza night. And if you make and freeze a few batches of homemade pizza dough ahead of time, you can have this cheesy side dish/snack at your disposal ALL THE TIME.
Wait, is that a good or bad thing?!?
PS: If you need an awesome homemade pizza sauce recipe, I’ve made and love this one.
So You Like Bread & Cheese?
Join the club. Here are even more recipes:
- Ham & Cheese Pockets
- Homemade Cheese Bread
- Cheesy Pretzel Twists
- Soft Pretzel Bites with Spicy Nacho Cheese Sauce
- Extra Cheese Pizza
- Homemade Pizza Rolls
- Jalapeño Cheddar No-Knead Bread
Made from 6 ingredient homemade pizza dough, these easy cheesy breadsticks are a completely irresistible side dish or snack. You can freeze half of the dough for another night. Only 15 minute bake time!
- 1/2 lb (230g) store-bought or homemade pizza dough*
- 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend or dried basil
- 1 and 3/4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese*
- optional: sprinkle of cornmeal for dusting the pan
- optional: marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
- Prepare pizza dough through step 3. Punch the risen dough down to release the air bubbles. Divide in half. (Make a pizza with the other half or freeze half of the dough for another time. See dough recipe for freezing instructions.)
- Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- On a lightly floured work surface or on a piece of parchment paper or a silicone baking mat sprinkled with cornmeal (I skipped the optional cornmeal in the video above), roll the dough out into a 9×13 inch rectangle. The dough will want to be round, so do your best to shape it into a thin rectangle around this size– doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Combine the butter, garlic, and Italian seasoning together in a small bowl. Brush over shaped dough. Cover evenly with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are golden brown. If desired, turn the oven to broil for the last minute to really brown the top.
- Slice into breadsticks and serve plain or with marinara sauce. Cover leftover breadsticks tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Reheat as you prefer. Baked breadsticks can be frozen up to 3 months.
- Make Ahead Instructions: If using my homemade pizza crust, you can make it ahead of time and freeze it. After the pizza dough rises and you punch it down, lightly coat all sides of the dough ball(s) with nonstick spray or olive oil. Place the dough ball(s) into individual zipped-top bag(s) and seal tightly, squeezing out all the air. Freeze for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the frozen pizza dough in the refrigerator for about 8 hours or overnight. When ready to make pizza, remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow to rest for 30 minutes on the counter before using.
- Special Tools: KitchenAid Stand Mixer, Dough Scraper, Baking Sheet, Pastry Brush, Pizza Cutter
- Pizza Dough: You can make these breadsticks with 1/2 pound of store-bought or homemade pizza dough. My homemade pizza dough yields about 1 lb of dough, which is enough for 2 pizzas, 2 batches of breadsticks, or 1 pizza and 1 batch of breadsticks. Toppings listed are enough for 1 batch of breadsticks. If you only need 1 batch of breadsticks, freeze the other half of dough for another time. You WILL want to make these again! All freezing and thawing instructions are in my pizza dough recipe.
- Cheese: Any shredded cheese you love works. Mozzarella is fantastic with the butter, garlic, and herb topping.
- Reference my Baking with Yeast Guide for answers to common yeast FAQs.
Keywords: cheesy breadsticks, breadsticks