I wanted the donuts to be completely smothered in strawberry frosting, so I dipped them each about 3 times. The thin frosting is so simple – puree 3 strawberries with 1 tablespoon strawberry jam. Mix in your confectioners’ sugar, adding more and more until you reach the color and thickness you like.
This recipe yields a small batch (only about 6-7 donuts) which I loved. It can easily be doubled or even tripled, though.Print
Soft, cakey, and moist homemade donuts are baked not fried, and topped with strawberry frosting!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled)
- 6 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 Tablespoons vanilla Greek yogurt (or plain or strawberry)
- 2 Tablespoons milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 3–4 strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon strawberry jam
- 1 – 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- optional: red sprinkles
- Make the donuts: Preheat oven to 325°F (163°C). Spray donut pan (or muffin pan) with non-stick spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and baking powder. Set aside. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter. Slowly mix wet ingredients into dry- just until fully combined. Do NOT overmix.
- Use a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip (or a Ziploc bag with a corner cut off) to pipe the batter into a 6-donut pan. Fill the donut cavities about 2/3 full. Bake 8 to 11 minutes until donuts are set and golden brown. They will spring back when touched. Mine took exactly 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from pan, about 5 minutes. Dip donuts into strawberry frosting 1-3 times, depending on how thick you’d like them frosted. Top with sprinkles.
- Make the frosting: Slice strawberries and puree with 1 Tbsp strawberry jam. Slowly stir in 1 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar, adding more until you reached the desired consistency and coloring. I wanted thick frosting, so I added 2 cups. Donuts are best served immediately. Leftovers keep well covered tightly at room temperature for up to 2 days.
- Freezing Instructions: You may freeze the donuts (glazed or unglazed) for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and warm up to your liking.
Keywords: strawberry frosted donuts