If you’ve been following Sally’s Baking Addiction since the beginning, you may remember my peanut butter banana oatmeal bars. They are, without a doubt, my FAVORITE healthy snack recipe ever. I played around with the recipe a bit and added some chocolate.
Because everything is better with chocolate, no?
It is the super ripe bananas that make these bars so incredibly soft. Super ripe bananas are super-brown and super-sweet. The natural sweetness of the ripe bananas also lessens the brown sugar needed in these bars, which is always a good thing in my book.
The more ripe your bananas are, the better these bars will taste. And the softer they will be, too.
The peanut butter packs a HUGE flavor punch and the oats give these bars a nice chewy texture. The chocolate chips and peanut butter chips bring it all together. And these bars are so easy to make. When it comes to healthy recipes, simple and quick are the most important to me.
I loathe long bake times, complicated recipes, and slaving away in the kitchen.
There’s none of that in these bars. Just mix everything up in 1 bowl and 20 minutes later you’ll be snacking away.
Makes 12-16 bars, depending how large you cut them. Bars stay fresh for up to one week in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Vegan option: see note below. Gluten Free option: see note below.
- 2 and 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick oats)
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, loosely packed (or light brown sugar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond milk (regular or soy milk would be fine)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (or 1 "flax" egg - see note below for vegan option)
- 2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray 8x8 square (or 9x9 inch) baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add in the milk, vanilla, and egg. Mix together until evenly combined. Add mashed bananas, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into bars.
*Note: these bars can easily be made vegan by using vegan chocolate chips + vegan putter butter chips and using a “flax egg” instead of a regular egg. Flax egg = mix 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes while it “gels” up. Use the "flax gel" as a replacement for the egg.
*Note: make sure your oats are certified gluten free to ensure these bars will be gluten free.
Recipe Source: sallysbakingaddiction.com
© Sally’s Baking Addiction. All images & content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe.
Want to see more of my healthy recipes?