These are, without a doubt, my FAVORITE healthy snack recipe ever!
It is the super ripe bananas that make these bars so incredibly soft. Super ripe bananas are super-brown and super-sweet. The natural sweetness of the ripe bananas also lessens the brown sugar needed in these bars, which is always a good thing in my book.
The more ripe your bananas are, the better these bars will taste. And the softer they will be, too.
The peanut butter packs a HUGE flavor punch and the oats give these bars a nice chewy texture. The chocolate chips and peanut butter chips bring it all together. And these bars are so easy to make. When it comes to healthy recipes, simple and quick are the most important to me.
I loathe long bake times, complicated recipes, and slaving away in the kitchen.
There’s none of that in these bars. Just mix everything up in 1 bowl and 20 minutes later you’ll be snacking away.Print
Simple, quick, and healthy peanut butter banana chocolate chip oatmeal bars!
- 2 and 1/2 cups (200g) old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick oats)
- 1/4 cup (50g) light or dark brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (120ml) almond milk (regular or soy milk would be fine)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup (85g) creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup (90g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup (90g) peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray 8×8 square (or 9×9 inch) baking pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Mix together oats, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Add in the milk, vanilla, and egg. Mix together until evenly combined. Add mashed bananas, peanut butter, chocolate chips, and peanut butter chips. Stir well.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and cut into bars.
- Make Ahead Instructions: Bars stay fresh for up to one week in a covered container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
- Vegan: These bars can easily be made vegan by using vegan chocolate chips + vegan putter butter chips and using one “flax egg” instead of a regular egg. Flax egg = mix 1 tbsp ground flax with 3 tbsp warm water and let it sit for 10 minutes while it “gels” up. Use the “flax gel” as a replacement for the egg.
- Gluten Free: Make sure your oats are certified gluten free to ensure these bars will be gluten free.
Keywords: peanut butter banana chocolate chip oatmeal bars