Sky High Apple Pie Muffins.

Sky High Apple Pie Muffins. Learn how to make bakery-style (and healthier!) muffins at

I am quite certain that there is nothing in this world comparable to a warm, freshly baked muffin to wake up to in the morning.  Bonus points if it’s healthy!

Typically, most muffins you find in bakeries are cupcakes in disguise – relying heavily on oil, butter, and cups of sugar for their sweetness.  When I’m craving a healthy muffin, I find the only way I can truly enjoy them is to just make them myself.  Plus they make my apartment smell like a bakery. 😉

These homemade low fat apple pie muffins are soft, fluffy, and full of good-for-you ingredients like whole oats, fresh apples, and white whole wheat flour.  In lieu of butter and oil, I used fat free yogurt and applesauce to give the muffins their moisture.  I also used as little sugar as possible – but feel free to reduce the amount of sugar or add more, depending on your tastes.

What I love most about these guys is that they are SKY HIGH.  I’m talking super tall bakery sized muffins.  Flat muffins??  No thank you. It’s taken some practice, but I finally found a few tricks to bake up mile high, fluffy muffins – no more flat, dry muffins here!

How to bake high-domed, fluffy muffins

• You need a very, very thick batter.  Much thicker than cake or cupcake batter – you want “spoonable” batter, not “pourable.”
  • Do not overmix the batter- this will create hard, tough, + flat muffins.
  • Do not be afraid to fill your muffin tins.  Fill all the way to the top.  Filling your muffin tins only 1/2 or 2/3 of the way to the top is not enough batter to produce a high-domed muffin.  Fill to the brim.
  • Start off with a very oven hot temperature, then lower it down – doing so lifts the muffin top up quickly and creates a tall crust. Typically, muffins are baked at 350F – 375F the whole time, but set the oven to 425F initially, then bring back down to 350F or 375F.

You better believe that each muffin I bake from now on will be tall and sky high, just like these.  Enjoy!

Sky-High Apple Pie Muffins

Yield: 14-16 muffins

• 3 cups white whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1 cup almond milk (or soy or regular)
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
  • 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp fat free apple yogurt* (or vanilla or plain)
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce (or vegetable oil)
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 2 heaping cups chopped apple (cored + peeled, if you prefer peeled chunks - I did not peel mine)

Oat Streusel Topping

• 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp unsalted butter

Preheat oven to 425F. Spray muffin tin with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Prepare oat streusel topping by mixing everything together until the mixture resembles course crumbs.  Set  aside.

Prepare the muffins: in a large bowl combine the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.  Set aside.  In a separate large bowl, whisk together the milk, sugars, yogurt, apple sauce, eggs, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  Gently fold wet mixture into the flour, stirring until *just combined* - do NOT overmix. Gently fold in the apples.

Spoon the batter into 12 muffin tins, making sure each one is filled to the very top.  Sprinkle reserved oat streusel topping over each muffin.
Bake for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then immediately reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for another 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cover leftover muffins tightly and store at room temperature for up to 5 days. Muffins may be frozen, up to 2-3 months.

Sally's Notes: *In my muffins, I used Chobani 0% Apple Cinnamon flavor. If you can't find an apple flavored yogurt, plain or vanilla yogurt would work as well. The unsweetened applesauce gives these muffins moisture- just as oil would - without the added fat. Feel free to use vegetable oil in lieu of the applesauce, which would lend a softer muffin with a higher fat content.

My Strawberry Banana Muffins are completely fat free and weigh in at only 90 calories each.  They are FULL of flavor thanks to the mashed banana and applesauce.  Applesauce is my secret weapon in baking- use it to replace oil or butter.  And you can’t even taste the apple!

Single Serving Chocolate Chip Muffin is perfect when I don’t have time or a need to bake an entire batch of muffins.  It is low fat, whole wheat, and full of chocolate chunks.  Sometimes I just don’t need 11 extra muffins laying around!

Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins aren’t quite as healthy as today’s muffins, but they sure are tasty anytime of day. Plus, how can one resist that crunchy cinnamon sugar coating?

164 Responses to “Sky High Apple Pie Muffins.”

Elli Leposted November 6, 2013 at 1:28 am

I made these today! I was kinda feeling pumpkiny, so I replaced the applesauce with pureed pumpkin, apple flavored yogurt with pumpkin yogurt, and apple chunks with cranberries. Topped with pumpkin spice granola. They were delicious, and really SKY HIGH!!

• Sallyreplied on November 6th, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Elli, your pumpkin/apple/cranberry muffins sound incredible! I have to try that.

• Elli Lereplied on November 6th, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Try it! You will not regret. :-) They’re pretty spankin’ amazing.

Meganposted November 8, 2013 at 9:09 am

I made these this morning and they were delicious and looked beautiful. Thank you for the recipe! I used muffin liners for some of them and they stuck to the liners, so I should have followed the recipe’s instructions. The ones in the actual muffin tins worked out much better! Thanks again!

• Sallyreplied on November 8th, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Always use nonstick spray for these. Happy you love them!

Gwenposted December 10, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I made these muffins tonight and am so glad that I did! What a delicious recipe! Going to recommend to friends and family. Thank you so much for sharing!

• Sallyreplied on December 11th, 2013 at 8:44 am

Thanks for reporting back, Gwen!

Leylaposted January 10, 2014 at 1:05 am

I made these muffins tonight! They were great, the perfect texture, but they just needed to be more sweet. It might be because I made mine with plain yogurt + milk. Definitely would have been wise for me to add some vanilla or uptake the sugar. Next time I will definitely do that :) I added caramel topping to make up for it though so they’re still great :)

Though just a tip for people making this for the first time with plain yogurt and milk, add some more sugar or vanilla :)

• Sallyreplied on January 10th, 2014 at 6:12 am

Leyla, the caramel topping you added to heighten their sweetness sounds incredible. I have to try that next time!

Glowposted January 15, 2014 at 10:36 pm

Do you think I could replace the sugar with 1/3 – 1/2 cup of honey? Also, could I use all regular whole wheat flour (or maybe a mixture of oat flour and whole wheat flour)?

Thank you so much! :)

• Sallyreplied on January 16th, 2014 at 10:39 am

Hi Glow, I’m unsure. I’ve never baked the muffins that way and can’t tell you how they will taste or if they will bake properly. If you try it, let me know!

Elizabethposted January 24, 2014 at 7:31 am

Was tempted by the fabulously delicious looking photograph of these muffins, and even happier to find they are low in fat. I had promised the children some of your whole wheat pancakes tomorrow, so I had already made some applesauce the day before. Ive just pulled the muffins out of the oven and cant believe how much they really did rise! Im waiting now for them to cool so I can taste them too. Thanks for another brilliant recipie :)

• Sallyreplied on January 24th, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I’m so happy you made these muffins Elizabeth! I hope you all enjoyed them today. Let me know if you try those whole wheat pancakes sometime (if you haven’t already tried them!).

Pam L.P.posted February 16, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Can you believe that I have NEVER, in my whole life (and I’m 55), made a muffin that wasn’t flat?? And I even had an entire muffin cookbook when my kid was little and made them for playgroup & home constantly! At least they had healthy ingredients…. but I wanted my muffins to look pretty with high domed tops!! So I stopped baking them years ago.

I DO live in Colorado Springs where we are over a mile high in altitude. I figured that was the problem. The other day I googled “not flat muffins” and found this recipe with all the wonderful research behind it.

I just served the PRETTIEST healthy & tasty muffins I’ve ever made. I’ve been told that in baking here, before you try adjusting for the altitude, try the recipe as it is written first, just to see, it might work. Well it did! No adjustments necessary. These will be my staple muffins for sure.

A few questions tho:
    1) On the streusel part, you never mention how the butter goes in — melted? room temp? chilled?
    2) Is this recipe meant to make 12 muffins or 16? You said 12 in the recipe and later in the comments (I read them all!) in Sept. 2012 you said 16. I ask because my batter was a LOT for the dozen muffin tin…. I did not just “fill them to the top”, but way higher. It worked tho. I’m just curious which number is the more accurate.

ALSO: I calculated the exact calories if anyone wants to know…. using the above recipe as printed and for 12 muffins, each one comes to 243 cals!
    I can’t wait to try one tomorrow with a schmear of peanut butter or cream cheese, YUM!

Thanks again, I will be making these for house guests soon, and boy will they be happy.

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2014 at 7:27 pm

So happy you loved my apple muffins! The recipe makes 14-16 muffins. My recipes were recently reformatted to fit a new website design and things got a little wonky, but yes – 14-16 muffins. Butter should be cold. Thank you for reporting back!

Celineposted March 28, 2014 at 12:09 am

hi Sally I have some buttermilk is it okay if I use it instead of almond milk or milk because i know buttermilk is good to use in muffins its just im not a 100% sure. And i love your website its really easy and convenient

• Sallyreplied on March 28th, 2014 at 7:28 am

That would be fine.

aliposted March 28, 2014 at 4:10 pm

These muffins look great. How well do they freeze?

• Sallyreplied on March 29th, 2014 at 7:41 am

Very well – up to three months.

Kileyposted April 17, 2014 at 4:15 pm

I just love these muffins so much! I return for the recipe more than i’d like to admit :) Love the trick to make them rise too!

Rosieposted April 24, 2014 at 7:50 pm

These look absolutely DELICIOUS! When I saw the pictures of these I just had to bake some :) But I don’t have any ground nutmeg…is there a substitute for them that you would recommend? I don’t want to substitute the wrong thing! :)

• Sallyreplied on April 24th, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I would simply leave it out, Rosie. Enjoy!

Soumyaposted April 24, 2014 at 11:49 pm

These came out extremely well! I had never made streusel before, so I was a bit skeptical but it was so yummy! I gave the muffins to my neighbors as well and they absolutely loved it!! I have only one ques-my streusel did not stick to my muffins after baking. It was crumbly(in a good way) and some of it fell while picking out the muffins from the muffin stand. Could you tell me what did I do wrong?

• Sallyreplied on April 25th, 2014 at 7:12 am

That’s simply because there is no butter in the streusel. It’s supposed to be crumbly – try pressing down on the streusel after topping the muffin batter with it. That will help it adhere.

• Soumyareplied on April 25th, 2014 at 11:09 am

Thanks for the tip!

Robinposted May 7, 2014 at 10:53 am

I have whole wheat flour and AP flour on hand. Would you recommend subbing all AP flour for the white whole wheat flour or could I do a combo of part whole wheat and part AP? If so, in what ratio do you recommend?

• Sallyreplied on May 7th, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I recommend all all-purpose flour. Or you can do half AP and half whole wheat.

Elsieposted June 19, 2014 at 3:21 am

Hello! These muffins sounds great, thank you for sharing this recipe! Just wondering if you would recommend using 1/8 cup applesauce and 1/8 cup canola oil instead of all applesauce or all oil? I like having a little oil for the softness of the muffin but not too much you see!

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2014 at 7:54 am

Hey Elsie! Yep, 1/8 of each would be just fine. Enjoy!

Alexposted June 19, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Would you be able to use Greek yogurt instead of a regular yogurt?

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2014 at 9:51 am

Yes, that would be fine.

Saraposted July 29, 2014 at 12:18 pm

Hi Sally, these look really good, and I was wondering if you know the rough estimate of how many carbs/calories are in each muffin? Would they be about the same as your other skinny muffins or slightly higher? Or do you have any tips for substituting some of the ingredients?

I made her your Blue-berry Banana muffins and she loved those! She was surprised on how delicious and moist they were and only so little calories. Will be making more of those in the future.

I really enjoy making your recipes, every single one I did turned out delicious and fun to make. Thank you so much!

• Sallyreplied on July 29th, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Hi Sara, I am unsure of the nutrition information for these muffins. Perhaps you can make another skinny muffin recipe and add apples if you like them better?

Mimiposted July 31, 2014 at 4:31 am

these muffins look scrumptious. Do you think they can be frozen?
    Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on July 31st, 2014 at 7:56 am

Yep. Up to 3 months.

• Mimireplied on July 31st, 2014 at 9:27 am

That’s great, thank you for replying so fast! :-)

Caterinaposted August 7, 2014 at 4:23 pm

I made these last night and they are amazing. They really do taste like apple pie and thanks to your trick, they do come out sky high. Thank you for all of your wonderful recipes and for sharing them with us :)

By the way, I always look forward to my next meal as a reward for getting through my run – especially my long Saturday morning runs!

Donnaposted August 13, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Thank you for a great recipe! I gave it a summer spin with fresh peaches and blueberries, subbing ground ginger for the nutmeg, and they are fabulously yummy and gorgeous. A dz muffins and a nice mini-loaf!

Candaceposted August 17, 2014 at 4:17 pm

Baking muffins has become my new Sunday ritual ever since I started routinely baking your scrumptious cookies. The fruit bowl’s neighbor on our counter is the cookie jar so with my boys, the cookies usually win. Last week it was a bowl of beautiful red apples vs your irresistible snickerdoodle cookies… needless to say the cookies triumphed again so the apples were used to bake these bad boys.
    I hit a snag with the streusel topping, probably because I didn’t have real butter? I just had a spread on hand so I used that. When I mixed the topping, the spread and the brown sugar just kind of melted together and it all became more of a mush than a crumbly topping, so I added some more oats and a bit of low fat granola and it crumbled up nicely. I was worried about the granola burning on the tops but it came out perfect! For the yogurt I used a container of Apple Cinnamon Chobani Greek Yogurt and Oats – I’m glad I had this on hand because it is excellent in this recipe. The milk was Silk Light vanilla. Instead of nutmeg I just used apple pie spice. When filling my muffin cups I was secretly hoping I would have enough batter left over to fill a small baking pan and I did :)
    These are SO very very delicious! I’m looking forward to having these on hand for breakfast this week.
    Sorry for the long-winded review, but I do have a question… I’ve tried making streusel a few times now and it never comes out quiet right. I’m guessing this time it was because I didn’t have real butter, but is there a trick to keep the brown sugar crumbly? It seems like it always just kind of melts if I use butter with it. And if I use just something like brown sugar and cinnamon, it still melts in the oven. How do you make yours come out so crumbly, even after baking?

• Callahanreplied on May 5th, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Hi! I’m no expert like Sally, but I cam across this and I thought I’d let you know what I do! :)

If your problem is that the ingredients melt together– just use colder butter. With streusel mine is usually very cold and hard, I just chop it up into little bits and then mix it in!

Cherelleposted September 4, 2014 at 3:28 am

Hi Sally :) Your recipes look SO scrummy! cant wait to get started and make some!! I too have a HUGE love for chocolate and peanut butter!! 😀
    I was looking at some of your healthier recipes and a few of them i’d love to try, But i can’t find unsweetened applesauce or unsweetened cocoa powder anywhere :( i’m in the UK! is there anything else i could use instead?

Many Thanks

Cherelle :)

ps congrats on the wedding! not long to go now!! :O

• Sallyreplied on September 4th, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Hi Cherelle, you may try to make your own applesauce at home to use in the recipes. But for the cocoa powder, I am unsure of any suitable substitutes.

• Kellireplied on June 16th, 2015 at 7:49 am

Hi, I’m from the u.k and just wanted to let you know that all cocoa powder is unsweetened here, bournville is a good one. As for apple sauce, for recipes I always buy the pouches of Apple baby food. They are just puréed apples. Hope that helps x

Samantha F.posted September 13, 2014 at 11:52 am

Just made these this morning and they are delish! Mine looked just like the ones in the picture :)

Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Celineposted September 16, 2014 at 10:34 am

I was wondering where I should store it after I make it and for how long. Btw these look delicious. Thanks in advanced

• Sallyreplied on September 16th, 2014 at 11:40 am

Hi Celine – I added that to the instructions of the recipe.

Catherineposted September 19, 2014 at 7:33 pm

Made these today – look great and taste great! I love the use of applesauce and yogurt (I used Greek yogurt) as it pushes them closer to the muffin side of the muffin to cake scale. My only problem is that they are sticking to the liners I used – any tips on that? I don’t usually use liners so perhaps next time I will just forgo them all together and bake them straight in the tins.

• Sallyreplied on September 23rd, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Hi Catherine – I don’t suggest using liners for these muffins. They always stick for me too.

Saraposted September 24, 2014 at 12:39 pm

I really wanted these to work out as beautifully as in the photo. Mine did turn out to be sky high, but I still found them to be quite dense and bland. I make skinny and vegan muffins often, so I’m used to baking with applesauce and low oil, but I’ve never had something turn out as heavy as these. They looked pretty, but I didn’t want to eat them. Next time I’ll use oil and more spices.

Marilynposted October 3, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Hi Sally – I’ve made your sky-high sparkly blueberry muffins several time now and they are always a hit. Can I substitute the almond milk with buttermilk and the applesauce/oil with coconut oil, like in the blueberry recipe? I have an apple orchard behind my house and the pickers generously give us a few bags of apples so I wanted to try the apple muffins. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 8:53 am

Hi Marilyn. So sorry for the delay responding. I was on vacation. Buttermilk would be just fine and 1/4 cup melted coconut oil would be great as well. Hope you enjoy!

mirandaposted October 5, 2014 at 6:19 am

I just put these in the oven but I think i did something wrong. Because I put in the applechunks and the flour together and mixed it, very carefully. The batter was pretty runny I thought but Im hoping it will turn out okay. They arent skyhigh so I think I did something wrong there as well. But that is a learningthing, as long as it tastes good I’m happy. . It smells great already, so fingers crossed!!

mirandaposted October 5, 2014 at 7:06 am

I just ate them (well, one of them) and they turned out great. They were indeed skyhigh, so I did nothing wrong and the inside was good as well. Very apply and very yummy. I put some cinnamonsugar on top of the strueseltop, and I loved it. I used Schar glutenfree cakeflour and it turned out great. I am going to try other muffins and cakes from your site with this flour because your recipes look so yummy and I really love to bake (with glutenfree flour that actually works).

SSKposted November 2, 2014 at 9:30 am

Wow—I just made these today and they were amazing! I am a novice at baking and didn’t expect them to be this good. They rose beautifully and really were sky-high! I didn’t have any nutmeg, so I omitted it. It was still great. I hate the fact that most muffin recipes are just cupcakes in disguise. These really are muffins!

Marshaposted November 9, 2014 at 4:25 pm

I made these muffins this morning and myself, my husband and 3 kiddos were so impressed. My husband, who doesn’t like whole grain and shudders at yogurt didn’t notice that there was anything in these muffins that he didn’t like. I used fat free lemon Greek yogurt (because I didn’t have any plain, vanilla or sour cream) and added a splash of vanilla to the wet ingredients…absolutely fantastic. Thank you so much!

Danielle Myrandposted November 11, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Please, can you tell me how much calories in double chocolate muffins. ??

They are awesome. Thiank you.

Sueposted February 9, 2015 at 9:06 am

These were fantastic-have made them twice now- I used 2Tbsp. canola oil and 2Tbsp. applesauce These were a hit with the kids!

Clare-marieposted February 26, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Hi there, I made these lovely muffins with 3 cups rye flour & 1/2 cup rolled oats. ( we cant eat wheat ) they were wonderful! Thankyou. Xx

Kristaposted March 6, 2015 at 12:56 pm

I made these muffins yesterday, and they are INCREDIBLE! They have all the taste of a regular muffin but only 1/3 of the calories! I am thinking next time I might try a blueberry/lemon combo.

I noticed that you live in Philly and that you are a runner. Are you running the Hot Chocolate 15K in Philly on April 4th? You get a chocolate bar medal…how perfect is that? Obviously, it’s not edible, but it’s pretty cool! It should be a fun race.

Kristaposted March 6, 2015 at 1:35 pm

• Sallyreplied on March 7th, 2015 at 8:18 am

Hey Krista! I did not know about this race! I’ll look it up. I won’t be able to run it this year, but maybe next year. A chocolate bar medal… how can any runner resist?

Vanessaposted March 13, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Hi Sally! I love this recipe and was wondering if it would work well as a bread?

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2015 at 2:37 pm

I’m unsure it would! I do not know the bake time.

Tamie Shawposted March 25, 2015 at 11:30 am

Hi Sally, I was wondering approximately how many calories are in the apple muffins. You might of posted it but I didn’t happen to see.
    Made them last night and they went over Great with my family.
    My Mom loves her sweets so I was worried they wouldn’t be sweet enough for her but she Loved them!
    thanks Tamie

• Sallyreplied on March 25th, 2015 at 3:46 pm

I’m unsure of the calories in most of my recipes– sorry!

Rhondaposted April 4, 2015 at 12:34 pm

loved your tip to crank the heat to 425 the first 5 minutes and then finish these D-Lish muffins at 375. My family is loving the sky high muffins for breakfast right now – warm and fresh out of the oven.

Kaitposted July 18, 2015 at 11:11 am

Thank you for such a kick ass recipe! I subbed applesauce for more yogurt, which seemed to work fine. Hearty, tasty, not-too-sweet apple muffins. I totally needed a little taste of fall in July.

Staceyposted September 4, 2015 at 2:50 pm

These turned out better than expected. Kids loved them and looked like something out of a bakery. I made these with a few adjustments since I ran out of yogurt. I used the applesauce and oil in place of the yogurt and used buttermilk for milk. Delicious. I will be making lots more since iI have an abundance of apples on our trees this year.

Daleposted September 12, 2015 at 7:43 am

These are wonderful.. made them with regular white flour and oil…. having one right now with my coffee…popped in the microwave 20 seconds…. I’m in heaven… love your muffins:)))

Rosaposted September 24, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Hi Sally recipe looks fab – looking for something to do with my cooking apples do you think this will work in these?

• Sallyreplied on September 24th, 2015 at 7:09 pm