Loaded Caramel Dipped Pretzel Rods.

Salty pretzels covered in caramel and topped with your favorite candies. These pretzels are perfect for gift-giving or satisfying your salty/sweet tooth!

What you see here are pretzels dipped into a pool of semi-homemade caramel sauce and sprinkled with all sorts of divine yumminess.

Pretzels are my favorite snack food.  It may be because I have a HUGE love for honey mustard… and pretzels & mustard go together like PB&J, but I seriously LOVE snacking on pretzels.  Pretzel rods, honey wheat pretzels, pretzel sticks, and so on.  I have oodles of half eaten bags of pretzels in my pantry.   Hence, my Bite-Size Peanut Butter Pretzel M&M Cookies.

Another way to use up some pretzels would be to cover them in chocolate and throw them in brownies.  I mean, why not?  Everything is better with chocolate. And/or caramel.  And/or Reese’s Pieces.  And/or Heath bar toffee.  And/or sprinkles…!?  Oh yes.

This seriously fool-proof recipe is like the god of the sweet/salty snack realm.  Gooey caramel enveloping a super salty, crunchy pretzel rod, and garnished with whatever tiny topping your little heart desires.  I chose crushed up Reese’s Pieces (love!), Heath bar toffee bits, mini chocolate  chips, and obviously… sprinkles.

And don’t they kind of look gourmet?  Wrap them, box them up, and give them to the peeps you love.  They are such a fun treat for a bake sale too!  They would definitely be the first to go.  People love food on sticks, especially kids!  I brought them into work and my coworkers went nuts over them like they were gold or something.  Of course, I didn’t admit these babies took me a mere 20 minutes to whip up.  Ha! A girl’s gotta keep some secrets. 😉

These jacked-up fancy schmancy pretzels are cheap, quick, and completely adaptable.

Loaded Caramel Dipped Pretzel Rods

Yield: 18 pretzels

• 1 14-ounce package Kraft caramels (about 40-50), unwrapped
  • 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
  • 18 large pretzel rods
  • 1 and 1/2 cups assorted toppings (crushed Reese's Pieces, M&Ms, nuts, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles, etc)

Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan, heat and stir caramels and whipping cream over medium-low heat just until caramels are melted. Remove from heat and allow the caramel to cool and thicken up for about 6-7 minutes.

While cooling, get your toppings ready to go. I put my 4 different toppings into 4 separate bowls.

Once caramel is relatively cool, hold each pretzel rod by one end and dip the pretzel into the caramel, swirling it around to get it coated well. Shake of any excess caramel. Immediately sprinkle toppings onto pretzel, twirling the pretzel to get all sides covered. I did this over a paper plate to catch any extras.

Place pretzels onto prepared baking sheet to allow the caramel to set - about 15 minutes. I rotated them every 2 minutes so they didn't end up with a completely flat side.
In hot months, store in refrigerator. I find they are pretty tasty served cold!

*Avoid rolling the caramel pretzels into the toppings. The warm caramel will melt the toppings and create a huge mess. It is much easier to sprinkle the toppings on the pretzels.

Here are a few of my other favorite sweet + salty treats!

Chocolate Fudge Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting

Brown Butter Pretzel M&M Blondies

Caramel Pretzel M&M Blondies by Sallys Baking Addiction

Bite-Sized Peanut Butter Pretzel M&M Cookies

Peanut Butter Pretzel MM Cookies

Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow

Salted Peanut Nutella Puppy Chow

Chocolate Peanut Butter Saltine Toffee

Saltine Toffee aka Christmas Crack

See all of my favorite sweet & salty recipes.

See all of my favorite no-bake recipes.

49 Responses to “Loaded Caramel Dipped Pretzel Rods.”

Sophieposted June 19, 2012 at 5:27 am

Yum! I’m loving all the no-bake stuff you’re sharing! {and SO sorry about yesterday!}

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 9:09 am

Thanks Sophie! And no worries. :)

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted June 19, 2012 at 6:05 am

Great idea and these would make great gifts. And they’d be great to make at a party…from bridal shower to kiddie bdays. Everyone gets to take home their goodies!

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 9:10 am

Yep, they’d be perfect gifts! People love food on sticks. It was crazy how WILD everyone went over these at work yesterday!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes)posted June 19, 2012 at 6:44 am

Love these! Pretzels are one of my favorite all time snacks, add some candy and I’m there :)

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 9:10 am

Pretzels + candy = win win! Which is why I love pretzel M&Ms so much too!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifeposted June 19, 2012 at 9:01 am

There is always one or more bags of pretzels in our cupboards too! I can’t get enough of salty and sweet treats! Food on sticks is just way more fun to eat!!! These caramel pretzels are so much fun with all the tasty goodies you added to them! Want. NOW!!!

Sallyposted June 19, 2012 at 9:11 am

I agree, food on sticks is the best! Cake pops, popsicles, corn dogs haha! thanks Jocelyn. :)

Kaylee @ Couponing & Cookingposted June 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

I am doing a summer bbq with the food theme “summer on a stick” so these are going to be perfect!

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 9:52 am

Summer on a stick!! That is SO cute! Let me know if you need more ideas, I could come up with plenty! :)

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted June 19, 2012 at 9:58 am

I think I might worship you. This is genius! (I almost think I might like these better than chocolate dipped…but shhhh don’t tell anyone.)

Dee at Deelicious Sweetsposted June 19, 2012 at 10:22 am

The combination of sweet and salty is always a win! These look so fun.

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Thanks Dee! Salty/Sweet is my favorite. :)

Darcy @ The Chic Country Cowgirlposted June 19, 2012 at 10:32 am

I LOVE covered pretzels but have never had them with caramel–a shame, right??? These are darling. I’m off to the grocery store!

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Haha thank you Darcy! My coworker called them “darling” too! Too funny. Caramel and pretzels are SO good together.

Back For Secondsposted June 19, 2012 at 10:50 am

Pretzels dipped in stuff are my go to party food! I love that we make so many similar goodies :) now if I could just get my pictures to look like yours….
    Have a super day, girl!

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 1:40 pm

They are MY go-to party food too!! Hope you’re having a good day! Xo!

Karlyposted June 19, 2012 at 11:04 am

These look amazing, but suddenly I’m craving pretzels and honey mustard. What in the world did you do to me?

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Haha! Karly, I pretty much eat pretzels dipped into honey mustard on a daily basis. But lately, it’s been caramel. So healthy, right?!

sarah k @ the pajama chefposted June 19, 2012 at 11:05 am

yum! i’ve made white chocolate caramel pretzels before that were awesome…i’ll have to try them with these toppings!

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

white chocolate caramel pretzels? oh my goodness, that sounds like HEAVEN! I must make those, Sarah! :)

Hayleyposted June 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I love honey mustard, too! And pretzels = best food ever. I love going to Target or food courts and getting pretzels–I don’t even need salt or butter; the plain, fluffy, fat pretzel is perfect for me :) but now I think I’ll be demanding caramel with my pretzels and Reese’s and HONEY ROASTED PEANUTS because that’s a flipping smart idea, and also because these are positively gorgeous and so awesome.

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Yes, honey roasted peanuts… it sounds incredible, right?! I love Auntie Anne’s pretzels. Those are my favorite. :) Thanks Hayley!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cookingposted June 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I can never get over how super duper creative you are, Sally! These look incredible for summertime snacking! LOVE the toppings you added to them, too. Keep up the awesome work!

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Georgia! Welcome back. :) Thank you so much for your kind comments, they always make me smile. These are PERFECT for summer, you are right!

amy @ fearless homemakerposted June 19, 2012 at 4:34 pm

i looove the sweet/salty combo, too + these look awesome! they are super pretty, too – they’d be great for a party or shower favor, since you could color-coordinate them to go with a theme, too. love!

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Sweet + salty is my absolute fave! I’m making them again for 4th of July w/ blue + red sprinkles! Thanks Amy :)

Julie @ Table for Twoposted June 19, 2012 at 7:49 pm

i was thinking about making this the other day because i had absolutely NOTHING else to bake. i’m in a rut right now. but then my pretzels were honey wheat ones so i didn’t know if it’d turn out ok…but i’m glad that you ended up making these for me haha, so do you deliver? 😉

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2012 at 7:29 am

I’ve tried it with honey wheat pretzels before, Julie! They are SO good dipped in caramel and chocolate. I’ve dipped them in white chocolate before and I think I like the white chocolate the best!

• Alexisreplied on July 5th, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I used the honey wheat ones when I made them; people seemed to like them, and since they were shorter than the pretzel rods, they were a little easier to dip in the caramel.

Jessica@AKitchenAddictionposted June 20, 2012 at 11:19 am

Yum! Sweet and salty is the way to go!

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I agree! LOVE salty/sweet. :)

LindaMposted June 23, 2012 at 7:46 am

Thanks to your blog & the incredible recipes, I am helping my daughter start a little business selling sweet treats! We’re brand new at this, and I had a question…what can we use to wrap the pretzel rods? Thank you for the sweet inspiration!

• Sallyreplied on June 23rd, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Hi Linda! So glad that I’ve been an inspiration! I would suggest wrapping the pretzel rods up real nice in cellophane paper. :)

Sarah @ Miss CandiQuikposted June 26, 2012 at 10:29 am

Yes please! :)

Alexisposted July 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I made these for a couple 4th of July BBQs yesterday, and they were a hit! I used red and blue M&Ms, Almond Joy round candies, almonds, sprinkles, and crumbled Heath bars. They went super fast, and they were fun to make! When I melted all the caramel, the liquid wasn’t deep enough to fully “dunk” the pretzels, so I poured the melted caramel into a glass measuring cup, and used a spatula to help swirl the caramel onto the pretzels. It seemed to work pretty well; do you have any other tips for getting the caramel all around half the pretzel? It was kind of gooey and when it cooled too much, I just popped it in the microwave to warm it up a bit so it was easier to work with. Such a fun recipe, and it’s easy to adapt for each holiday! Thanks for sharing!

• Sallyreplied on July 5th, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I used a spatula to swirl as well. That seemed to work for me very well! I had to work quickly when the caramel was hot. SO glad you made and enjoyed them Alexis! honey wheat pretzels are my favorite :)

Emilyposted October 4, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Hi Sally – I love your blog and all your great recipes! I have a couple pf quick questions about the caramel dipped pretzels: how long do they keep, i.e. how far in advance can you make them? Also, do you think humidity would effect whether or not the caramel sets up or not? Thank you so much!

• Sallyreplied on October 4th, 2012 at 4:29 pm

they keep very well! up to 1 week. I made these on a Saturday and they were still great on a Wednesday! I’d say make them ahead of time, maybe 3-4 days max. I suggest not making these on a humid day, unless you have the AC going high. Humidity in the air won’t allow the caramel to sufficiently set up, just as you expected. thank you Emily!

• Emilyreplied on October 4th, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Thank You!

Jessica Kellyposted June 3, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Help! My sprinklings won’t stick to my caramel!

sue grifforeposted November 2, 2014 at 8:44 pm

I have used and enjoyed many of your recipes. Have you found that the caramel makes the pretzel soggy after a couple of days? It has been years since I made these because of the sogginess. (is that a word?)…. hoping your recipe will make the difference. thanks, sue

babsposted October 28, 2015 at 8:42 pm

How would I make these toffee pretzel rods with homemade caramel?  I’ve been using your caramel popcorn recipe for 2 years now, and baking it is the key!  Everyone loves it. I’d hate to have to go back to bought yukky caramels now.

• Sallyreplied on October 29th, 2015 at 8:30 am

That caramel isn’t thick and firm enough for coating. I have my homemade caramel for dipping in my cookbook. It works perfectly for loaded caramel pretzels (also in the book).

Graceposted November 6, 2015 at 6:30 pm

What kind of caramel did you use? Will the “homemade salted caramel” recipe work?

• Sallyreplied on November 7th, 2015 at 6:50 am

It won’t– much too liquid. For these pictured pretzels, I used Kraft.

• Gracereplied on November 7th, 2015 at 7:35 am

Ok, Thank you so much!

Susanposted November 20, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I’m new to your blog and love reading each post. I found your recipe for the caramel candy covered pretzel rods…one word…YUM!
    I made them with my six year old niece and she loved them as much I as did…we started a new tradition of cooking together. I look forward to making some more of your recipes.
    Thank you for your hard work…keep posting. Have a good weekend.

1. Pingback: sweet & salty potato chip toffee cookies.