THE Chocolate Chip Cookie.

Soft-batch style chocolate chip cookies using a few tricks to make them extra thick and soft.

Unbelievably soft, unbelievably simple Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies - these are a reader favorite!

Nearly everyone has their favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  Whether it’s the go-to, no-failer on the back of the yellow Tollhouse bag, or the scribbled masterpiece hiding on a ripped up piece of paper in your grandmother’s recipe book… everyone’s got their own.

The chocolate chip cookie – a household favorite, an iconic dessert staple, a timeless classic, an unbeatable and unparalleled snack, warm, cold, dunked in milk, in dough form, in baked form, in ice cream, on ice cream, small, and large – no one can resist the comfort of a chocolate chip cookie.

It’s been my mission for months now to find that perfect recipe. The recipe I can bake again and again for years. I’ve lost sleep, I’ve burnt dough, I’ve tested and retested and retested… and retested countless times.

Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies-2

I’ve eaten more chocolate chip cookies this past month than I’d care to share. But today, I finally got it right. The stars aligned. Hallelujah! A chocolate chip cookie recipe that I’ll treasure for years.

The perfect ratio of chip to dough. The perfect softness. Unbelievably chewy.

I always like to use more brown sugar than white in my cookie recipes. It gives the cookies a chewy texture, and less of a crisp. And for this recipe, I used DARK brown sugar. Light vs dark brown sugar is mostly interchangeable in dessert recipes.  But I find that dark brown sugar gave these cookies a rich aroma and unique depth of flavor. It also keeps the cookies super soft, even the next day.

And these cookies are thick, so fluffy, and so puffy.  It’s the cornstarch that gives these cookies an unbelievable lift. Yep, cornstarch. I was skeptical, but now I’m a believer. It is the easiest recipe. Don’t forget to chill the dough! It will give your cookies the best flavor, as well as guarantee thickness.

PS: You could even try them with mint chocolate chips. I usually find these chips around the holidays and stock up to last me several months into the new year.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies - soft-baked style! These disappear whenever I bake them. Double the batch!Sometimes the simplest of recipes are what stick. I really don’t need to convince you. It’s a chocolate chip cookie. THE chocolate chip cookie.

THE Chocolate Chip Cookie

Soft, thick, and puffy chocolate chip cookies. The cornstarch is the secret!

• 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks or 170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch (aka cornflour)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 and 1/4 cup (225g) semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the brown sugar and granulated sugar and mix on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick. Add the chocolate chips and mix for about 5 seconds until evenly disbursed. Cover dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Chilling is mandatory for this cookie dough.
  2. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  3. Once chilled, the dough will be slightly crumbly, but will come together if you work the dough with your hands as you roll into individual balls. Roll balls of dough, about 1 Tablespoon of dough each, into balls. Bake for 8-9 minutes, until barely golden brown around the edges. They will look extremely soft when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. If the cookies are too puffy, try gently pressing down on them with the back of a spoon. They will slightly deflate as you let them cool. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
  4. Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months. Bake dough balls in their frozen state for an extra minute or two - do not thaw.

Makes about 2-2.5 dozen cookies. Do not drop dough onto warm cookie sheets.  Allow cookie sheets to cool completely between batches. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months.  Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months. Bake for 1-2 extra minutes (do not thaw).

Adapted from Anna Olsen

Using this cookie dough recipe, I make these amazing Soft-Baked White Chocolate Chip Cranberry Cookies.

White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies

For extra chewy chocolate chip cookies? Try my legendary Chewy Chocolate Chunks.

Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies - learn the secrets to making them extra soft and thick!

711 Responses to “THE Chocolate Chip Cookie.”

Laurynposted September 13, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I made these cookies for my husband’s crew when he was in shift at the FD. He said they didn’t last 5 minutes! Absolutely love this recipe. Iv also tried the same recipe with peanut butter chips added in, SO good! Thank you so much!

Benposted September 14, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Hey Sally,

I was wondering if you could tell me where you find the mint chips? I know that Hershey’s makes a mint chocolate chip (still brown, just a combination of semi-sweet chocolate and mint), but even during the fall/winter, I’m not thinking that I’ll be able to find those at Walmart.

• Sallyreplied on September 15th, 2015 at 7:11 am

Ben, I usually find the mint chips around the holidays at Walmart or Target.

• Karenreplied on November 6th, 2015 at 1:00 am

Guitard makes a mint chip. Most stores should carry them. I get them at walmart or winco if you have one of those. They have many flavors and are one of the best chips you can get in any flavor. They make the chocolate for see’s candy if you are from the west coast.

Alexposted September 15, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Hi Sally, I’ve tried several other recipes of your cookies, and all of them turned out great! Including these ones! Except I was wondering whether it is possible to substitute butter with anything else, but still get a similar result?

Lillyposted September 20, 2015 at 6:28 pm

My husband said these were like crack… not that he’d know.  Yep, this recipe is a keeper!

Rosieposted September 22, 2015 at 2:12 am

Hello Sally,

I just wanted to post a review and a question.
    I made your recipe to the T (I am very nit picky about details and instructions) this evening around 6 and refrigerated it. I took it out of the fridge around 9:45, but the dough was actually soft, not crumbly. Nevertheless, I still rounded the dough into cylindrical balls placed on parchment paper and baked them for 8 minutes in a 350 degree oven with a light colored cookie sheet, which I researched was better than a dark colored sheet because of how it reflects off heat.

I took them out as soon as the edges were slightly brown with the inside a bit raw. I pressed some cookies down with a spoon, and left some untouched. They sat on the pan for 5 minutes to continue cooking from the residual heat and cooled completely in a wire rack. Here is my question to you: the cookies spread out just enough but was still puffy like and did not look like your pictures where it was thick but the top sunk in a bit in crinkles. Did I do anything wrong? I will try to make sure the top of the dough balls are uneven next time to add to the crinkle-look, but is there anything else I should try?

Taste wise: it was very delicious. Slightly crispy on the outside with a chewy center. I wouldn’t describe this as SOFT, however. But I will continue with testing out this recipe as I do have leftover dough. I will update you tomorrow!!

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Hi Rosie! Glad you tried these cookies and think they are delicious. Definitely one of my personal favorites.

Do the cookies you pressed down taste and different than those you did not touch? I wonder if there was a touch too much flour in the cookie dough– did you use a scale to measure? Try reducing by 1-2 Tablespoons. Then, chill the cookie dough overnight. (If you have the time!) I think this might help them bake up a little softer. Just as I describe them to be.

• Rosiereplied on September 22nd, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Alright, second trial!

The dough was still pretty soft, but just a tad bit denser than yesterday’s consistency. Today I used a 1.5 Tbsp cookie scoop and scooped out three balls. I left one unrolled and just placed it right on the cookie sheet from the cookie scoop. The second was rolled into a cylindrical ball, and the third was a spherical ball. All had extra chocolate chips placed for aesthetic appeal. I baked them for 8 minutes and took them out because the bottom was beginning to barely brown, yet the middle looked a bit raw.

They spread out perfectly, with the perfect amount of thickness and height in an ideal cookie. I took photos but unfortunately can’t upload them in the comments section, but in the photos I really did like the cookie that was unrolled, straight from the cookie scoop. It looked the most authentic and real, it had the perfect amount of ridges and actually deflated like the TINIEST bit while still remaining thick. The second best looking was the cylindrical ball, and the last was the spherical since it was too round on top. Taste wise: it was great! Tiny bit of crisp on the outside edges, but the inside was very soft and luxurious. However, the cookie scoop one also won the best taste wise. I say this because since i didn’t roll it, the inside of the cookie dough ball wasn’t too tall so it cooked JUST enough where it was still soft yet chewy, and not raw-like. The other two cookies, the spherical and cylindrical, was soft but the inside still taste pretty raw and dough-y, and I could feel the granules of sugar grinding a bit. This happened because as you roll and shape it, you increase the height of the middle of the cookie so it would take more time to bake, yet you can’t bake it too much or it would be dense–therefore resulting in perfect outside edges and cookie dough centers. So for those who like their cookies a bit raw and cookie dough-y on the inside, try the spherical shape. But for those who like the inside to be just set and incorporated texture wise AND look thick with the crinkles on top, definitely try the 1.5 Tbsp cookie scoop- unrolled!!

I think I’ll make a random Instagram account and show you the photos, I’m just proud of you and your recipe Sally! I want more people to use this recipe and see what results were achieved from those who tried it.

• Donna Tatereplied on November 24th, 2015 at 8:10 pm

I followed your recipe exactly and these were the best cookies of any kind that I have ever made!  Absolutely excellent recipe! I have never seen my 6 year old grandson enjoy a dessert more than these cookies, and Papa and I loved them too!  I am saving this recipe!

Niemposted October 22, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Hey Sally! I wanted to ask – what’s the difference between this recipe and the “Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies”? I see the ingredients are a little different – softened vs (almost) melted butter, cornstarch and sugar amount, etc. Are these ones … less chewy?

• Sallyreplied on October 22nd, 2015 at 4:09 pm

I note some differences in the other cookie recipe– those are a little more chewy, yep!

Shanna Espinosaposted November 11, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Hey Sally!
     I was just wondering if you could use King Arthur whole wheat flour in this recipe?

Erinposted November 12, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Thank you for sharing this recipe and step-by-step techniques.  These were well received at a family gathering.  I think the taste is spot-on with balance of sweet, chocolate and salt.  My only concern is that they were slightly doughy.  I baked them for 10 minutes and still found them to be under cooked.  Each dough ball weighed 1 oz.  Am I making these too big?  Erin

Jessicaposted November 15, 2015 at 6:14 pm

These are delicious! Love your website and recipes.

Shelbyposted November 16, 2015 at 6:07 pm

Sally, I saw theses on Pinterest and thought, these cookies look delicious. So the next day I made them and they were the best cookies I ever tasted!! Totally one I will do again!!! Thanks Sally!!

Rachelposted November 17, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Loved these cookies. Hubby loved these cookies. I think it was that lil but of extra butter  😉 I’ll be looking for more recipes on here! Thanks Sally.

Jamieposted November 21, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Hi Sally. I had to write to let you know these cookies were a HUGE hit! I followed the recipe as written and chilled them for only an hour. It is snowy Michigan day today and the girls (and by girls I am including myself in there along with my daughters) were very impatient, so they just had to get into the oven. Needless to say, I had to hide some because my husband, the biggest chocolate chip cookie fan ever, got his hands on them and could not stop eating them. So, I have another stick and a half of butter sitting on the counter as I type this to make another batch. Whenever I want to bake, your blog is the first place I look to for inspiration. Thanks again for another family favorite.

Catherineposted November 29, 2015 at 6:25 pm

I love your recipes!! However, my cookies are always puffy and never deflate no matter what I do.  What do I do?

1 7 8 9