Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins.

Perfectly little pumpkin muffins coated with cinnamon sugar. They taste like your favorite pumpkin muffins from the bakery!

I make these muffins often and updated the photos in August 2014.

Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins Recipe

To me, pumpkin knows no seasons. I sorta kinda eat it all year round if I can find it.  :)

Pumpkin + vanilla Greek yogurt + pinch of cinnamon = best fruit dip ever in my world.  My mom’s pumpkin pie is legendary.  Hands down my favorite fall food EVER.  Pumpkin bread, pumpkin & peanut butter (trust me), pumpkin cream cheese anything, pumpkin oatmeal, pumpkin pie milkshakes (!!!)… I could go on forever.

When I see it on the shelves, I stock up.  I’m a pumpkin hoarder.  So, I’m excited to bring you my first pumpkin recipe of the season.

My Favorite Mini Pumpkin Muffins!

Itty bitty teeny tiny baby pumpkin muffins coated in cinnamon sugar. Kind of like a cross between a muffin and a donut. A muffin donut hole, if you will. Except these are whole wheat and are baked, not fried.

I’ve seen 4398579 pumpkin muffins all over the web, cookbooks, magazines etc. I based my recipe off of my Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins. And it was a fine choice, I must say. The pumpkin flavor is front and center. They’re a little dense, but not “heavy” tasting.

What’s most important about this recipe is that you make sure to use 100% pure pumpkin, not canned pumpkin pie filling! Libby’s is my favorite.

The muffins aren’t TOO sweet, which is why I dumped them in cinnamon sugar, obviously. They also looked a tad naked without it. Cinnamon sugar is always a necessity, if you ask me.

Perfectly little pumpkin muffins coated with cinnamon sugar. They taste like your favorite pumpkin muffins from the bakery!

Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins

Bite-sized treats always just seem to taste better, no?  I threw some into a baggie and had them at work for breakfast this week with my Keurig pumpkin spice coffee.

I’m welcoming fall flavors with open arms.

Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins

Yield: 20-24 mini muffins

Perfectly little pumpkin muffins coated with cinnamon sugar. They taste like your favorite pumpkin donuts from the bakery!

Mini Muffins

• 1 and 3/4 cup white-whole wheat flour (or all-purpose flour)
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1/2 cup milk

Cinnamon Sugar Coating

• 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Spray mini muffin tin with nonstick spray. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg. Set aside. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the melted butter and brown sugar. Add the egg and stir for about 1 minute. Add the vanilla, pumpkin puree, and milk. Slowly pour wet ingredients into the dry. Stir together until just combined - do NOT overmix.
  3. Using a small spoon, spoon the batter into the muffin tins, about 2/3 way full. For ease, I used a small spoon sprayed with nonstick spray so that the batter easily fell off the spoon into the tin without using my fingers.
  4. Bake for 11-12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. While the muffins are cooling, make the coating. Combine the sugar and cinnamon a small dish. In a separate small dish, melt the butter. Once the muffins are relatively cool, dip into the melted butter and then into the cinnamon sugar.
  5. Make ahead tip: Muffins stay soft, fresh, and moist at room temperature for 3-5 days. Muffins freeze well for up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up (if desired) before enjoying.

Try them regular size as well! About 20 minutes, same oven temperature.

My Favorite Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins!

My Favorite Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins!

See more pumpkin recipes.

Perfect pumpkin muffins coated with cinnamon sugar. They taste like your favorite pumpkin muffins from the bakery!
Super simple Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins-- make them mini size!

138 Responses to “Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins.”

Hayleyposted September 2, 2014 at 2:33 pm

I managed to wait until September to break out the pumpkin. This was the first recipe I used some of my can for :) I woke up early this morning to make these (I made them in a regular size muffin tin and got 10) and was excited to eat them fresh from the oven with coffee at 9am! I had half of my cinnamon sugar topping leftover but that just guarantees that I will make them again!

• Sallyreplied on September 3rd, 2014 at 8:31 am

So glad you made them Hayley. Thanks for reporting back!

Lauraposted September 7, 2014 at 2:25 pm

I can’t wait to make these! Has anyone tried making them gluten free?

Tashiaposted September 10, 2014 at 5:48 pm

Just made these with some changes to the recipe:
    – I used apple butter instead of butter in the muffins (same amount)
    – I used all AP flour (no whole wheat)
    – I didn’t have pumpkin pie spice, so I used 1/4 tsp each of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice (no ginger in house)
    – I only used 1/4 cup milk, so
    – I increased the pumpkin puree up by 1/4 cup (total 1 cup)
    – I folded in 1 cup of walnut pieces for some crunch.
    – I allowed the butter for the topping to cook til it was LIGHT brown butter (so yummy!)
    – No mini muffin tin, so I made 16 regular sized muffins

The finished product was a little more dense and chewy than I expected; probably due to the apple butter vs. regular butter. Or maybe I over mixed them. Either way, my husband and I really enjoyed them. Thank you for the recipe!

Shelbyposted September 19, 2014 at 11:33 am

These were fantastic!! My husband loves them too. I made a batch two dAys ago and I am thinking of making a double batch this afternoon since we have been going through them so fast! I’ve never tried white whole wheat flour before but I think this recipe has converted me to try it out in more recipes!! Love all the creations you come up with

Coletteposted September 21, 2014 at 11:11 pm

My room mate and I made these muffins today. We used muffin pan liners to make clean-up a little easier and only coated the tops with cinnamon sugar, but the muffins still turned out to be so delicious! Thanks for the great recipe, we’ll definitely be making these again!

Katherineposted September 22, 2014 at 12:21 pm

Thanks for posting this recipe. We really like them but I think they had too much cinnamon sugar on them, you could barely taste the pumpkin. Next time I am just going to dip the tops in the cinnamon sugar.

Coraposted September 23, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Hello Sally!

Congrats on the wedding!!! Looked truly amazing!!! Very happy for you!

Was just wondering if I could glaze these instead? Love cinnamon sugar but also LOVE glaze? Have you tried it?

Thank you!

Brittany Owensposted September 28, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Just got done dipping these. O.m.g. They’re pumpkin perfect! My husband insisted on adding chocolate chips to a “couple”, and those turned out wonderful as well! Thanks for another winner!

Natalieposted October 9, 2014 at 3:55 am

Do you have any tips for altering your recipes when baking powder (and cream of tartar) are not available? I’ve been drooling over your blog for months, but haven’t figured out to adapt them.

Samanthaposted October 12, 2014 at 8:39 pm

Is unsweetened almond milk an alright replacement for milk?

Do you think these would be OK to mail if they reach the recipient 2-3 days after baking? I was planning to wrap them individually, store them in tupperware and keep them cool with an ice pack.

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 8:44 pm

Almond milk and sending as you plan to will both be fine.

Sandyposted October 13, 2014 at 10:34 am

My sister and I made these for breakfast yesterday and ate them with our mom. We enjoyed them with coffee (mom), hot chocolate (me) and orange juice (sister). They were delicious, thank-you for the recipe.

Jessicaposted October 26, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Hi, I just made these tonight for my family. They were a hit!!!

Barbaraposted October 27, 2014 at 2:41 pm

Have you tried baking these in a donut pan? I am interested in trying that method out.

• Sallyreplied on October 27th, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I have not, actually – but they will be delicious without a doubt. The bake time will be short, like it is here.

Bethposted October 30, 2014 at 3:45 pm

These look amazing!! Are there any changes that should be made when cooking at high altitudes? I’m looking forward to making these!

• Sallyreplied on October 30th, 2014 at 6:39 pm

Hey Beth! Unfortunately, I have no experience making these at high altitude. I have had readers at higher altitude tell me they had success with the recipe as is, but again — I cannot say for sure. I often refer readers to this helpful chart.

Karenposted November 25, 2014 at 11:42 am

Any change in the baking time if you use regular size muffin tin? Thanks, love all your recipes!

• Sallyreplied on November 25th, 2014 at 1:09 pm

yep– below the recipe is a photo of the full size muffins. 20 minutes bake time.

Jenposted January 3, 2015 at 8:38 pm

These are amazing!! Super moist and delicious:-) full of flavor
    I have tried dozens of your recipes and I’m always impressed!!!
    Thank you!!!

Graceposted April 13, 2015 at 11:02 am

I was looking for a way to make my sprint-out-the-door for work each morning a little more “sprint-ier,” so I decided I wanted to make muffins. I was searching for a chocolate or pumpkin recipe, and a recipe where I already had all the ingredients. I found this recipe and made it yesterday. These pumpkin muffins are AWESOME! They’re moist for being a muffin (I’m fighting myself from typing cupcake every time I type muffin) and taste great even without the cinnamon sugar topping. I do advise to add the topping though because it gives it another dimension. I tried it both ways – with & without – and with, it reminded me of cinnamon sugar donuts you can get from cider mills. I thought it was Fall for a split second! Even my husband (who isn’t a huge muffin or pumpkin fan) wanted to try one and loved it! I was shocked! That’s when I knew I had a winner. Thanks! =)

Graceposted April 13, 2015 at 11:06 am

Ahh! I got so sidetracked in it’s deliciousness I forgot to add – I doubled the recipe and ended up with 25 regular size muffins. I think the cinnamon sugar coating recipe could easily be halved, because I had quite a bit of butter and cinnamon sugar leftover. I started by dipping the muffins in the butter, but then ended up using a pastry brush to apply the butter because it made the muffins a little cleaner looking. Again – great recipe!

Samposted September 22, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I made these yesterday using fresh pumpkin instead of canned. The color was more grey than the nice orange you have, which I was a bit sad about. I also didn’t get a pumpkin flavor, more just a pumpkin spice flavor. I stored them in a ziplock bag and this morning it seems all the cinnamon sugar topping melted and now all the muffins are sticky/gooey. Did I do something wrong?

• Sallyreplied on September 23rd, 2015 at 9:05 am

Sam, you didn’t do a thing wrong! I find fresh pumpkin puree doesn’t have quite a strong flavor/color as canned (I like Libby’s). Fresh pumpkin puree also may be a little more wet as well, so that could explain the sticky outer layer.

Judyposted September 23, 2015 at 12:54 am

Hi Sally

I’ve just made a double batch of these beautiful babies for my daughter to take to work this evening (I squirreled away 4 to have with my afternoon cup of tea!). They are a crowd favourite and apparently frequently requested (just found that out last night). I always use fresh pumpkin (cooked and well mashed) because I have never seen canned pumpkin where I live in Australia. It’s got to the point that I buy and cook extra pumpkin to keep on hand in the freezer! Thank you for this wonderful recipe (and many others). I have also made a banana version that went down well. Cheers :)

• Sallyreplied on September 23rd, 2015 at 9:03 am

Thanks so much for reporting back Judy. Sneaking 4 is clearly a MUST! A banana version sounds like it would be incredible. Great flavor with cinnamon!

Krisposted October 2, 2015 at 1:54 pm

These were wonderful!  They tasted very much like a donut.  I agree they are best the same day and still really good on day two.

Jenposted October 21, 2015 at 4:34 pm

So I made these this morning and completely forgot the milk. LOL, they are still tasty but I know the moist factor is completely lacking because of my dunderhead move. I know I should have waited until a nap took place as I was too sleep deprived to accomplish such an easy mission. I love to bake but hate wasting ingredients. I shall be trying this recipe again tonight or tomorrow morning… depending upon my energy level. Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I do love pumpkin :)

Kennedy Cole@ KCole's Creative Cornerposted October 25, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Hi Sally! I was thinking about maybe making these for some friends. Do you think that I could stuff them with caramel or chocolate, and still get good results? Also, how long do these stay good, and what kind of frosting would compliment them the best? I really appreciate your time and effort! Thanks, Sally! 😀

• Sallyreplied on October 25th, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Stuffing– I can’t see why not?! Nutella would be fabulous inside. Storing instructions are usually always in the last step of my recipes. I think a simple cream cheese frosting would be ideal. That’s my favorite at least!

Jenposted October 30, 2015 at 3:54 pm

These are delicious and easy to make.  We added chocolate chips too.  My entire family actually commented on how good they were.  Making them again to take to a party.

Debbieposted November 3, 2015 at 12:38 pm

Made these last eve, followed directions per the recipe with NO changes and they turned out perfectly delicious & moist and not too sweet. I took them to work for a am meeting and everyone really enjoyed them. easy to pop into your mouth and goes extremely well with coffee! Thanks for such an easy great recipe.

Lynn Bakerposted November 4, 2015 at 8:48 am

How many mini-muffins does this recipe make? Maybe I just missed that bit of info but I need to know whether to double it to get 24 or no?
    Thanks, they sound wonderful!

• Debbiereplied on November 5th, 2015 at 11:00 pm

I just made these for the second time- one batch makes 24 mini muffins-perfect and so delicious

Stephanieposted November 23, 2015 at 2:34 pm

About how many mini muffins does this recipe make?

• Stephaniereplied on November 23rd, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Nevermind. Saw above comment

1. Pingback: sugarless pumpkin oatmeal cookies with pecans « livindolcevita

2. Pingback: sugarless pumpkin oat bread « livindolcevita

3. Pingback: Fall Starts Now with Cinnamon Pumpkin Balls « Breakfast Socks

4. Pingback: pumpkin chocolate chip oatmeal bars.

5. Pingback: york peppermint patty fudge cookies.

6. Pingback: Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins from Sally’s Baking Addiction « Mom Bakes

7. Pingback: A Tempting Tradition Twist on Pumpkin Perfection | Gemgem Goes Global

8. Pingback: Mini Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins « Juggling with Julia

9. Pingback: apple spice cupcakes with salted caramel frosting.