Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel.

Super-moist and flavorful banana chocolate chip muffins stuffed and topped with cinnamon streusel.

Super-moist and flavorful banana chocolate chip muffins stuffed and topped with cinnamon streusel!

These muffins are what happen when you have flavor and texture A.D.D. like I do. While a plain banana muffin is typically pretty standard in your corner bakery, I upped the ante by both stuffing AND topping the breakfast staple with a cinnamon-walnut-chocolate-chip-streusel.

What was that again? Cinnamon Walnut Chocolate Chip Streusel. “Plain” is not a word in my muffin vocabulary.

Like a proper foodie, the first and only thing I thought of after getting over a stomach bug was… what the heck will I finally EAT? I had been dreaming about my first real meal for days. After living on saltines and peanut butter, my stomach, mind, and sanity were screaming for some flavor.  Lots of stuff coming from every different textural angle.  It had been a long, tortuous week living in the bland world, I needed a splurge.

A SERIOUS splurge. Preferably with chocolate. And preferably first thing in the morning. Done and done.

Batten down the hatches folks – with these muffins, you will NOT be able to stop eating one after another.

Here’s how all the decadence starts. Underneath all that streusel, you’ll find a banana muffin that’s hardly innocent. Each bite is impeccably buttery and delicate. If baked plain, these banana muffins will hold their own.  Starting as a batter made with 3 large bananas and creamed butter, these muffins are comparable to a light and fluffy banana bread.  Not dense by any means, but surely packed with buttery banana flavor. The spot-on banana muffin will taste like a treat even without all that streusel!

The streusel, made from brown sugar, chocolate chips, chopped walnuts, and loads of cinnamon, has two purposes.  You see, it isn’t merely a streusel topping. It’s a streusel swirl as well. I layered a tablespoon of the sugared glory in between the muffin batter AND on top right before baking.  The cinnamon and brown sugar leave a crusty sweet coating on top that seeps down into the batter, swirling through the fluffy banana interior.

The chocolate chips hiding inside expand and pop, creating melty chocolate pockets in each bite. The walnuts give the whole party some crunchy texture and pair wonderfully with the cinnamon and banana. Finding the right balance of streusel-to-muffin is much harder than it seems! I wanted enough chocolate to make these muffins taste like dessert but at the same time, I didn’t want to overpower the banana flavor.  I love me some chocolate and banana, but chocolate can easily steal the spotlight over practically any other ingredient it’s paired with.  A mere 3/4 cup of chocolate chips spread over 16 muffins did the trick to save the banana flavor.

I also didn’t want the muffins to be overloaded with actual sugar.  Rather, I wanted the muffins to obtain their sweetness from the bananas, cinnamon, and chocolate chips. With only 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup sugar in the batter and streusel respectively, I was still able to create dessert-like muffins– gathering their sweetness from the other ingredients in the recipe. Feel free to use less or more sugar in either the muffin batter or in the streusel.

Baked tall using my sky-high muffin tips, I found that a bakery sized dessert muffin overloaded with texture, chocolate, and a whole lotta banana flavor was the perfect “first” meal after being ill. And the perfect snack. And running-fuel. And dessert. You won’t be able to stop either!

Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel

Yield: 15-16 muffins

• 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 and 1/2 cup mashed bananas, very ripe (about 3 large ripe bananas)
  • 3 Tablespoons yogurt (I used vanilla greek yogurt)

• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar (or dark brown sugar)
  • 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional

Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Line muffin tin with baking cups or spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Make the streusel first by combining all ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

For the muffins: In a medium bowl, gently toss together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. Using an electric stand or hand mixer, beat the sugar, butter, and egg in a large bowl until fluffy, scraping down the sides as needed. On low speed, beat in the mashed bananas and yogurt. By hand, stir in the dry ingredients mixing until everything is *just* combined. Do not overmix.

Layer one scant Tablespoon of batter into the muffin cup. Sprinkle with streusel. Layer another spoonful on top and layer with more streusel. Continue to layer batter and streusel into each muffin tin.

Bake muffins for 5 minutes at 425F degrees. Lower temperature dial down to 350F degrees and continue to bake for about 14 more minutes until the muffins are set and lightly browned. Allow to cool for 5 minutes in the tins and transfer to wire rack to cool completely.  Store muffins in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Muffins freeze well, up to 3 months.

I adapted this recipe from my friend Amy's banana coffee cake recipe. Try baking this batter in a 9x9 baking pan at 350F degrees for 35 minutes OR until the cake is lightly golden brown and set in the center.

After you make these muffins, try these similar recipes next… 😉

Cinnamon Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread

Cinnamon-Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread

Banana Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls

Banana Chocolate Chip Cinnamon Rolls

Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

Skinny Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

Skinny Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake

Iced Pumpkin Coffee Cake

126 Responses to “Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins with Cinnamon Streusel.”

mimiposted December 29, 2013 at 1:38 pm

can i substitute Veg oil for butter?
    If yes, by how much?
    Thanks 😛

• Sallyreplied on December 29th, 2013 at 2:30 pm

No, you cannot sub oil for the creamed butter in this recipe. Unless you use creamed coconut oil.

Ellen Reneeposted February 20, 2014 at 10:16 am

I made these yesterday and everyone I left them with (parents/work guys) enjoyed them immensely. Thank you :o) Of course they did not get to try them the best way….barely out of the oven for 1 minute! I did only get a dozen muffins and to fill the cups with your tall muffin tips I should have done 10 or 11 instead – will try it that way next time. Todays post – marble cupcakes…lovely! Going on the pile.

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2014 at 11:38 am

I’m happy you love baking my recipes and that these muffins were enjoyed! You’ll all love the marble cupcakes too.

katherineposted February 26, 2014 at 10:27 am

Hi Sally, can I substitute the yoghurt with buttermilk instead?

• Sallyreplied on February 26th, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Yes, that would be fine.

Allyposted April 21, 2014 at 3:43 am

Just baked it the other day, they were flavourful. Even without the cinnamon topping (as my husband hate cinnamon), it is still very delicious.

Gonna tank up some bananas to make next batch!

Rachelposted April 25, 2014 at 9:10 pm

Another great recipe! My only suggestion is to be a bit more specific about the “spoonful of batter” measurement. I am a perfectionist and it was torture trying to decide whether to use a heaping tablespoon or a smaller teaspoon. :) I ended up with 13 muffins so must have been a little off in my guesstimate.

• Sallyreplied on April 26th, 2014 at 6:37 am

Sorry Rachel! Yep, I mean a Tablespoon – I’ll change that.. So glad you love them.

Sherylposted April 27, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Hi- thank you for this recipe. I made these muffins- I did not use nuts and I used banana flavored yogurt.
    The muffins were not too sweet-
    Next time I would like to double the batter, it made only enough to just fill my 12 muffin cups- the batter just barley and in some cups did not come to the top of the cups before baking.
    Thanks again.

kristie g.posted May 3, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Okay-just made these and they are DELISH! Its a good thing I’m on a diet :) followed recipe exactly-came out perfect. I’m afraid I may have to retire my other banana bread recipe!!

Francescaposted July 12, 2014 at 8:58 am

Hi Sally! This is my favorite muffin recipe ever! I’ve made them over ten times in the past month and my friends adore them! One of my friend’s mom also brings some to her office and they all swoon over how wonderful this is. They’re amazing every single time I make them, but I do always have the issue of greasy bottoms and sides on the liners. Did you ever have that issue and is there any way to avoid that? Thank you so much for your wonderful recipes! [virtual hug]

• Sallyreplied on July 13th, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Hi Francesca! There’s really no way to avoid it, unfortunately. I find it easier to bake them without liners these days!

Kerstinposted August 22, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I just took them out of the oven and they smell amazing! Can’t wait to try them!

On another note, I just wanted to let you know that I hadn’t done any baking in 2 years but stumbled upon your website last week and haven’t stopped baking since. Just love how straightforward your recipes are. Thanks for inspiring me again!

Amelia N.posted August 27, 2014 at 1:13 pm

These look so delicious! Thinking of making them tomorrow. I’m just wondering if I can bake these in a mini-muffin tray and how long I should bake them for. Thanks! (:

• Sallyreplied on August 27th, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Definitely great as mini muffins! I would say about 9-10 minutes.

noemiposted October 11, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Hello sally! Made these babies today but without the streussels and only used 2 bananas (i only have 2).. It smells so divine while inside the oven! And taste soo good…muffins are so light. This will be my to go recipe for banana muffins! Thank you sally! :)

Jasmineposted November 6, 2014 at 11:39 pm

These muffins look delish! I’ll like to bake these lovelies In a jumbo muffin pan, do you think it will make more than 6 jumbos? I’ll have to increase the baking time to 25 min as well, is that right?

Looking forward to your reply and thank you in advance! :)

• Sallyreplied on November 7th, 2014 at 9:09 am

Jasmine, I’m unsure if it will make more than 6 jumbos – I believe the number will be right around 6 though. I’m unsure of the exact baking time.

• Jasminereplied on November 7th, 2014 at 9:16 am

Hi Sally, I just made this and they made exactly 6 jumbos. Baked them for 5 min on high followed by 25 min at 375 F. However, the bottom of some muffins turned out to be a little gooey and dense, perhaps I should increase the baking time. No worries though, the muffins were so delish that my hubby polish off 1 and a half after taking his dinner and I ate the other half 😛

Thank you for all these awesome recipes. Bought your ebook as well and I can’t wait to try everything out!

Christine Bryantposted November 10, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Absolutely delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe! I’ve tried pecans instead of walnuts and it’s perfect for me! Also, I didn’t have vanilla Greek yogurt, just plain, and added a tsp of vanilla extract. Worked totally fine. This will be a part of my favorite recipes found on pinterest… Thank you again!!

Emma @Missemzyyposted November 20, 2014 at 5:41 pm

What a great first meal to splurge on! These muffins look soo moreish.. I will be making these as soon as I have ripe bananas!!

Shereeposted December 23, 2014 at 3:19 pm

Hi Sally. Love the recipe! I made it once before and it was delicious!!!! My mum is gluten intolerant and I was wondering if you could make this with gluten free flour? Thanks.

Kimposted January 20, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Is it possible to make this recipe without bananas? I am looking for vanilla chocolate chip muffin recipe with streusel topping? Would the recipe ingredients change if banannas are omitted? Thank you!

Deeptiposted February 12, 2015 at 10:24 am

Hi !! I want to make these since I love bananas and was just wondering if you could convert the cups and tablespoon measurements into grams ?
    Thanks :)

Haileyposted February 13, 2015 at 12:17 am

Oh my goodness! I just pulled these out of the oven and I am one happy pregnant woman! :) I’ll definitely be making another batch for the freezer for after our second little guy gets here!

Amy M.posted February 17, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Sally! These look so great – making them tonight! Do you think you could use coconut oil?

– Amy

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2015 at 6:14 pm

creaming coconut oil should be fine here Amy– enjoy!

• Amy M.replied on February 17th, 2015 at 6:16 pm

You’re so great and quick! You’re like baking 911 ☺️

Ellieposted April 26, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Thee are best banana muffins I have ever tried. It will definately be my go to recipe from now on. I used mini chocolate chips but otherwise changed nothing. Delicious! Family approved! Thank you for sharing.

Jason Millerposted June 14, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I served your banana chocolate chip muffins, blueberry scones and cinnamon chip scones to my girlfriend’s friends that were in from out of town. It was all delicious, but I think the muffins were the big hit. Thanks for sharing all these great recipes!

Yen Belarminoposted July 16, 2015 at 8:02 am

Thank you very much for the recipe.  I tried to make this today and they came out perfect.  My first ever successful muffin! ♡