Skinny Chocolate Fudge Banana Muffins.

I call these Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins my miracle muffins. No butter, no oil, whole wheat, with tons of rich fudgy flavor. You won’t miss all the calories and fat!

I call these Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins my miracle muffins. No butter, no oil, whole wheat, with tons of rich fudgy flavor. You won't miss all the calories and fat!

It’s about time I baked some chocolate muffins. Considering my breakfasts during the week have been nothing short of bran cereal and apple slices.  Sigh. I honestly can’t think of a more boring way to start the day.

Needless to say, some pizazz was surely needed to pair with my morning java this weekend. It may come as no surprise to you that I chose chocolate and bananas as my non-boring breakfast of choice Saturday morning. You see, I have a little thing for the pair. See here, here, and definitely HERE.  (<– involves sprinkles!)

I like the two paired together almost as much as I love chocolate & peanut butter together.

Enough about me. When I asked a few friends what they’d like to see more of on the blog, their first answer was healthy recipes!  Healthy *sweet stuff* of course – this IS a baking blog you know.

I bake a lot of healthier items that never make it on the blog in fear that I may bore you. So, it was my mission to bake something for breakfast that I could share on the blog, pleasing all my readers – the health-conscious and the chocoholics. These muffins are incredibly lightened-up – we’re talking no butter, no oil, and whole wheat flour. Is that possible for such a beautiful fudgy muffin? Indeed, it is.

Start with some sad-looking bananas. Brown speckled & practically black. The bananas are paired with apple sauce, to replace the oil or butter in the recipe. Oftentimes replacing the fat in a recipe with a lower fat product like applesauce will substantially affect the consistency and flavor of the finished baked good. If not done correctly, your muffins can bake up dry and taste like cardboard.

Today, we’re looking for a soft, moist muffin, so that’s why it is crucial to use super-ripe and super-soft bananas. Trust me, the uglier the banana, the better flavor and texture your muffin will have.

I used half whole-wheat flour and half all-purpose flour in the batter. I was looking for a lighter muffin to start my day – not something dense and heavy. While much more wholesome than white flour, whole-wheat flour has the tendency to weigh down your baked good. I like to use whole wheat flour in oatmeal bar recipes – when I’m looking for a dense texture. Using a combination of all-purpose flour and heavier whole-wheat flour, you’ll get the best of both worlds – light texture, wholesome goodness.  Done and done.

Let’s talk chocolate. Double dose of the good stuff here.  I sifted unsweetened cocoa powder in with the flours and baking powder.  I used Hershey’s Special Dark, but feel free to use your favorite kind. I love using unsweetened cocoa powder in healthy recipes – you get chocolate flavor for hardly any calories! Unsweetened cocoa powder is the force behind my Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies. 😉

Next, you’re going to throw some semi-sweet chocolate chips into the batter before dropping into your muffin cups. Top with more chocolate chips.  Chocolate, chocolate, and more chocolate. The chocolate flavor overpowers the banana flavor, so expect a chocolate explosion rather than a banana overload.  Wait til you try one warm and melty out of the oven. (!!!)

And as if all of this wasn’t enough… the BEST part about this recipe is how EASY it is!  Your batter will come together in one bowl, in about 5 minutes.  The muffins take about 20 minutes in the oven, which was 20x the time it took me to wash the 1 dish from the batter. 😉

You will never, ever guess that they aren’t made with butter or oil!  Low in fat, high in flavor, easy, and combines fudgy chocolate & bananas.  Topping with peanut butter… optional but recommended. Is there really a better breakfast out there?!

Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins

Yield: 12 muffins

So decadent - you won't miss all the sugar and fat!

• 3 large, very ripe bananas
  • 2/3 cup (135g) granulated sugar (reduce to 1/2 cup for a less sweet muffin)
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup (79g) unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/2 cup (65g) whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup (63g) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (42g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 cup (180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus more for topping

Preheat the oven to 375F degrees. Line a muffin tin with baking cups. Set aside.In a large bowl mash the bananas with a fork. Mash them very well - no big lumps. Stir in the sugar, egg, and applesauce.

Sift* the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder into the wet ingredients. Lightly mix to combine. Fold in chocolate chips. The batter will be a little chunky. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups - fill them all the way to the top. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for 3 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Muffins freeze well up to 3 months, thaw in the refrigerator and warm up to your liking.

*Be sure to sift your dry ingredients together to avoid pockets of cocoa powder lumps

Recipe adapted from Hot Polka Dot

Calling all chocolate + banana lovers!

Chocolate Glazed Banana Bread Muffins – sprinkles for breakfast!

Banana Nutella Granola – low fat chocolatey granola :)

Nutella Swirled Peanut Butter Banana Bread – the best thing IN THE WORLD.

Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting

Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Frosting

See more of my healthier muffin recipes.

272 Responses to “Skinny Chocolate Fudge Banana Muffins.”

Londonposted November 12, 2013 at 12:56 am

Sally! You call these muffins? I’d call them SHEER BLISS. I cannot believe how fudge-tastic and amazing these are. (And yes, I was skeptical because chocolate muffins are often weird.) I only had 2 and a half rotten bananas to throw in this recipe, so I subbed in a generous dollop of Greek yogurt. I would’ve bumped up the applesauce but too much applesauce in muffins can be disastrous, IMO. Anyway, it worked and these are PHENOMENAL. They’re great for breakfast and perfect for dessert too. WIN!

• Sallyreplied on November 12th, 2013 at 5:49 am

SO glad you love them as much as I do! And yes, applesauce can be very risky in muffins.

Samposted November 15, 2013 at 1:28 am

Hey Sally!! These muffins look awesome and I really want to try and bake them this weekend. Could I only use all purpose flour (1 cup)? I don’t have whole wheat flour anymore =/ thanksss!! =D

• Sallyreplied on November 15th, 2013 at 8:10 am

You sure could! Enjoy.

Biancaposted November 23, 2013 at 3:52 am

Sally, would it be alright to use your sky-high muffin top trick with this skinny muffin? Muffin tops are my favourite part of a muffin… (As well as everyone else’s, I’m sure.) Thanks for the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on November 23rd, 2013 at 11:25 am

Yep, you may do the initial high temperature trick for these muffins. Enjoy!

brandyposted December 10, 2013 at 11:31 am

These muffins are incredibly delicious! I have such a hard time finding things my 8 year old son will eat for breakfast and he loves these! I make them once a week for him! Thanks for a great recipe.

• Sallyreplied on December 10th, 2013 at 2:41 pm

That’s great, Brandy. I make these muffins quite often. They’re one of my fiancé’s favorites!

Eirianposted January 2, 2014 at 10:17 pm

Surprisingly delicious! I was looking for a recipe to use up some old bananas and these proved perfect. Adapted them to be gluten free for my dad: 1/2 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup brwn rice flour, 2 Tbs corn starch.

• Sallyreplied on January 3rd, 2014 at 10:01 am

That’s helpful to know for my GF readers, thanks Elrian!

Briannaposted January 12, 2014 at 6:25 pm

Made these this afternoon and they are delicious!! They taste better than majority of the non-“skinny” muffins I’ve tried! I especially love them with peanut butter too.

Thanks for the great (and super easy) recipe!

• Sallyreplied on January 12th, 2014 at 7:21 pm

They don’t even taste “skinny” right Brianna? I’m so happy you love them. Thanks for reporting back!

Nithyaposted January 16, 2014 at 10:35 am

Thank you so much for this recipe! I made a lot of changes, because I was scatterbrained and also because I didn’t have several ingredients handy, but they still turned out incredible. I only used two bananas instead of three, and mine weren’t as ripe as could be. I added a tablespoon of cornstarch to the mix because I find it gives me smoother muffin tops, and used an egg replacer instead of the egg. I also used buttermilk and a tablespoonful of oil instead of the applesauce since I didn’t have any. Finally, I couldn’t find my baking powder, so I simply omitted it and crossed my fingers. Oh, also, I chopped up chocolate finely, about 3/4ths of a cup, since I didn’t have any chocolate chips. And I baked them in a mini muffin pan. I got eighteen and they’re fast disappearing. I love how much cocoa powder you’ve used. It makes these muffins so dark and rich tasting, and quite tames the banana. They also aren’t too sweet, but one of these perfectly satisfies my deepest chocolate craving. I can’t wait to try out this recipe again, this time as it’s actually meant to be. I know it’ll be even better.

• Sallyreplied on January 16th, 2014 at 11:06 am

What a muffin you made! Or mini muffin, should I say. I find that you really don’t need a chemical leavener when making min muffins if you fill up the muffin tins high enough. And my gosh, your version of them sounds incredible! Thanks so much for reporting back. I, too, love how fudgy they are.

Annposted January 28, 2014 at 3:14 pm

More healthy muffins, please!!! I have made these muffins twice and my husband said they are the best muffins he has ever tasted. I agree. I made a couple of substitutions: I try to eat gluten-free as much as possible, so I used Cup4Cup in place of the flour. Also, I used xylitol in place of the sugar. The results were amazing and no, you definitely cannot tell that these muffins are “healthy!” They are rich and luxurious and I’d love to see more “healthy” baked items. Delish!

Gabbyposted January 29, 2014 at 6:43 pm

I made these last week & they were delishious! The only thing is that they stuck to the cupcake liners :/ I followed the recipe exactly. Any ideas why they would stick?

• Sallyreplied on January 29th, 2014 at 6:50 pm

Gabby, I’m not sure. I find that when I use cheap liners – all of my muffins stick. Try baking them without liners or spraying the liners with nonstick spray.

Riaposted February 5, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Just made these today and my husband has vowed to let the banana over-ripen more often :)
    I didn’t have eggs or applesauce at home, so used 1/4 cup of vegetable oil instead. I guess that reduces the healthiness aspect of these muffins but they were still oh-so-good! Thank you, Sally!
    PS: They do tend to stick to the cupcake liners…so will try spraying the liners with nonstick cooking spray next time I make these

• Sallyreplied on February 5th, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Perfect. Glad you both loved them, Ria! The oil may have made the cupcakes a little stickier. I’ve never had issues with them sticking to my liners before. Nonstick cooking spray does help though!

Cara Edwardsposted February 9, 2014 at 6:04 am

These look so delicious!! Being someone who goes out of my way to bake the chocolatiest, sugar and fat packed goods , I am also one of those who would sob on the floor if I ate them myself.. these are the best looking healthier alternatives that I have come across!!:) Unfortunately I have a wheat intolerance and also must watch my sugar intake (help!) , I was wondering if replacing the sugar with agave would make the mixture to liquid? And do you think replacing the flour for coconut flour would change the consistency too much? thank you!! I am loving these healthy recipes, very inspiring:)x

Sapnaposted February 19, 2014 at 9:33 pm

made them today looovvvedddd them. . Big hug from India.

Lauraposted February 23, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Hi, This is the first recipe that I have made from your site. Soooo good!! Cakey, and more like a brownie than any muffin I have ever had. It doesn’t taste healthy at all. I look forward to trying out more of your healthy treats on cheat days!!!

Thanks for all the great recipes in advance :)

Julieposted February 27, 2014 at 10:33 am

Made these last night and boy are they delish! I used 100% whole wheat flour and Truvia baking blend and the muffins still came out light and fluffy but deliciously chocolatey. It’s awesome to eat a muffin filled with wholesome ingredients that tastes as good as a dessert. This one is a keeper for sure! Thanks, Sally!

Ottaviaposted March 4, 2014 at 2:49 am

Hi Sally, I have been browsing through all your healthy recipes! I wanted to bake this skinny banana chocolate fudge muffin but am not sure of the exact measurement in grams. Is it possible to covert them in grams. Many thanks in advance!!

• Sallyreplied on March 4th, 2014 at 4:47 pm

Updated the recipe for you, Ottavia! Enjoy.

Nickposted March 6, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Thanks for another fabulous muffin recipe! I used Splenda instead of the sugar and half the amount of chocolate chips. They turned out soooooo good! I love your site!

Rubyposted March 10, 2014 at 8:19 pm

These muffins are amazing! I discovered your site through this recipe, searching for whole wheat banana chocolate muffins. They are delicious and I love that they are healthy too! I am now addicted to your site! Thank you for the fabulous recipes!

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Thanks Ruby! Happy you enjoy these muffins as much as I do.

Toniposted March 15, 2014 at 4:51 pm

Oh my goodness, these are amazingly moist and delicious. I used only 1/4 cup of sugar and no chocolate chips and they were still sweet and chocolate enough. I am going to my recipe box now and throwing out my previous chocolate banana muffin recipe – I’ll never use it again now that I have tasted yours.

• Sallyreplied on March 15th, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Thanks Toni! I’m so happy you love these muffins. I make them all the time. I’ll try leaving out the chocolate chips one time too. Thanks for reporting back!

Allisonposted March 17, 2014 at 6:37 pm

Hi Sally, quick question. Is it possible to use plain yogurt instead of apple sauce in this recipe?

Thanks, and love the blog btw!

• Sallyreplied on March 17th, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Hey Allison! That should be fine.

Stephanieposted March 30, 2014 at 11:47 am

Second time I’ve made these and LOVED them! I used previously frozen banana chunks & they came out wonderful. Your blog is my absolute favorite! Time and again, your recipes never fail to disappoint. You are truly talented and I am ordering your cookbook :)

joposted April 3, 2014 at 7:07 pm

these muffins comes out to around 190 calories- with milk chocolate instead of semi sweet chocolate.

Ericaposted April 8, 2014 at 11:38 am

I just made these using gluten free flour & coconut sugar & they are delicious. My kiddos won’t stop bothering me for another! Thanks for the recipe.

Shanelleposted May 1, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Hi, I really want to try making these however I am allergic to bananas. Any recommendations?

Susanposted May 8, 2014 at 12:57 pm

I have a lot of very ripe frozen peeled bananas on hand (for using with my Yonanas maker). Can I thaw them and use them in this recipe, or will having been frozen make them unsuitable for baking?

LOVE your recipes – I have your Healthy Peanut Butter Chunk Oatmeal Bars in the oven right now!

• Sallyreplied on May 8th, 2014 at 1:17 pm

Hey Susan, no I do not recommend using frozen bananas for these muffins. I’ve tried – they’re not the same. Love those oatmeal bars!

• Susanreplied on May 13th, 2014 at 11:12 pm

Thanks so much for your quick answer – I made these today and everyone loves them! Another question: do you have recommendations on baking times if I make these as mini-muffins or in a baking pan like brownies?

Graceposted May 29, 2014 at 7:29 pm

I think our love for banana, chocolate and baked goods would have us being fast friends. Plus I think you are so refreshing with your approach to sweets and your fun loving ways. I made these using half spelt flour and half gluten free flour, reduced the sugar to 1/3 cup and accidentally forgot the applesauce. They are seriously too good! I honestly gave up with low fat baking until I came across your site and bake something new each week, always with amazing results. Now I shall go eat the remaining five muffins….

Joposted June 24, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Seriously good muffins – we don’t bother making any other chocolate & banana muffins now except these ones. And I have to make a double batch as one batch doesn’t last much past baking day.

Charlieposted July 2, 2014 at 2:30 am

Hi Sally! I adore your blog and you’re my most trusted recipe blogger EVER. I do have a question though, this recipe – as well as some of your other recipes – require applesauce and I can never seem to find any near where I live. Is there a substitute for that? Thanks and keep being awesome!

• Sallyreplied on July 2nd, 2014 at 7:42 am

Hi Charlie, it really depends on the recipe. For these, I would recommend 1/3 cup of oil or yogurt to replace the applesauce.

Annikaposted July 5, 2014 at 5:55 am

I made these for the second time today and I love them! Although instead of applesauce I used Greek yoghurt and I by accidentally used rye flour instead of whole wheat but they ended up great anyways :) I also added some broken up almonds on top!

Brigid Van Vacterposted July 10, 2014 at 4:09 pm

Can these be frozen once they are made? If so, how would you suggest thawing them? On counter at room temp, or frig? Thanks!!

• Sallyreplied on July 10th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Those instructions are in the recipe.

Danielle Cposted July 28, 2014 at 2:58 pm

Hi Sally! Just made these wonderful looking muffins. Can’t wait to try one when they’re done. I did as you did and sprinkled each of the muffins with about 5 or 6 chocolate chips before placing into the oven. What occurred to me though, is that once the muffins are done, perhaps the chocolate chips would not stay on top and just roll off upon eating. I’ve never sprinkled chocolate chips onto anything I’ve baked, so I don’t know what the outcome would be. My question is, is there any need to gently push the chips into the batter before baking to ensure a proper stay on the muffin top? My worry is that if they are slightly submerged into the batter, they will partially melt while baking. How did you do this technique?

• Sallyreplied on July 28th, 2014 at 3:57 pm

Hi Danielle – yep, next time I suggest you push them into the top of the batter before baking.

marlaposted August 2, 2014 at 11:12 pm

These muffins look really yummy and my mom and I are doing weight watchers so I’m always looking for something sweet but “healthy”. Do you know how many weight watchers points these muffins would be? Thanks.

• Sallyreplied on August 3rd, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I don’t – sorry!

Maggie Jposted August 19, 2014 at 9:39 am

I’m doing a clean eating challenge this summer, so while these sound amazing, I had to make some modifications. These muffins were my inspiration for a banana bread recipe I put up on my blog this morning.

Thank you for this and oh, about 500 other recipes Sally. The challenge is over next week. Once I’m allowed sugar again, I’m going to be ALL over this site. :)

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Haha! Congrats on your impressive challenge, Maggie. I’m excited for you to bake some sugary recipes when its over. You deserve it! Let me know any of mine that you try!

Rachelposted August 26, 2014 at 5:40 am

Made these and used your “initial high baking temperature” trick. Baked at 425 for 5 min and then at 350 for 8-10 and now they have gorgeous domed tops and are delicious! Love this trick!

Michelleposted August 26, 2014 at 8:05 am

Just thought id let you know i made the sky high apple pie muffins (i changed it a little – Bobs gf mix works perfectly by the way in place or whole wheat!) – i used plain greek yogurt, i egg white (also only made 1/3 of the recipe), didnt use sugar i used Erythritol and a few drops of stevia extract and 1/4 tsp butter extract….yes that is all of my adaptations! All of the above worked PERFECT!

I cant believe the sky high idea works – the muffins really are SUPER domed!
    Keep the good recipes coming – they’re fantastic!

Nicoleposted August 27, 2014 at 1:38 pm

My daughter and I made these yesterday to celebrate the first day of school. They turned out great! My son thought they were cupcakes, and my husband was very skeptical of the use of applesauce. Once he tried one, however, he was sold. They are so moist and delicious. I found that I had to cook them about 21 minutes to get them done. Thanks!

Gosiaposted August 29, 2014 at 7:39 am

These muffins are amazing!!! I made them several times. Thank you for this recipe.

Haleyposted September 11, 2014 at 5:04 pm

Is it possible to use plain greek yogurt instead of applesauce?

• Sallyreplied on September 11th, 2014 at 5:07 pm

That should be fine.

Michelleposted September 18, 2014 at 10:38 am

WOW, these are amazing. I will be making these once a month forever! They have a huge chocolate taste yet still balanced with the banana flavor too. Moist and delicious, time to sample another hot out of the oven to make sure it’s still as good as the first.

zahraposted September 21, 2014 at 1:29 am

hi sally thank for all healthy recipes. I was wondering about making my own applesauce, as I don’t want to replace it with yogurt.
    how can I make a homemade applesauce?is there any recipes ???
    LOVE your blog. =)

Katieposted September 28, 2014 at 2:25 am

Amazing! Just like everything else I have made from here, or your cookbook, these were brilliant. I substituted the sugar for 1/2 cup maple syrup and used 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt instead of the applesauce. So moist! Definitely making these again.

DrMAPposted December 15, 2014 at 1:41 am

This is the second recipe from your website that I have tried! It is super delicious!!! I used vegetable oil because I don’t have applesauce. I also used some semi-sweet baking chocolate and pieces of a dark chocolate bar(both were chopped up) instead of chocolate chips, as they had been taking up fridge space for quite some time. I also used only 1/2 cup sugar. They turned out great!!! Thank you so much for this recipe!!! Looking forward to baking more yummy things from your website!

Austria Azacetaposted January 20, 2015 at 10:34 am

I know this is an older recipe but i just made it 2 days ago & cannot get over how awesome it is!! These muffins certainly don’t taste ‘skinny’!! They’re so soft & moist that i cannot believe theres no oil or butter in them. The changes i made were using plain greek yogurt in place of the applesauce & using milk chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet…… Thank you so much for this awesome blog & all the amazing recipes on it! I will have to try the new whole wheat banana bread you just posted next time i have shady looking bananas…… :-)

Jenposted February 7, 2015 at 8:49 pm

These muffins are making me SALLY-vate!

Steph Lynnposted February 14, 2015 at 3:38 pm

These are amazing; What a great recipe!

For VEGAN version I used gluten free flour and replaced the egg with an extra 1/3 cup applesauce and they came out great! :)

THANK YOU!!!

Josieposted February 24, 2015 at 11:07 am

Can you give an estimate to the cup equivalent of “3 large bananas”? I have some super huge bananas so 2 of those may be sufficient. Your guidance would be greatly appreciated. The recipe sure sounds like a winner.

Thank you.

• Sallyreplied on February 24th, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I’d say around 1 and 1/4 cups. For these muffins, if you are a little under or over that amount it will be just fine. These muffins are forgiving.

• Josiereplied on February 25th, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Just made these, using my 2 supersized bananas, reducing the sugar to 1/2 cup, replacing the applesauce with 1/2 greek yogurt, 1/2 oil and they are very tasty indeed. Thank you for such a delightful, chocolatey treat. Next time I will add walnuts to the mix.

Rachelposted February 26, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Have you tried using stevia instead of sugar? I’m wondering if they’d still taste good.

Melanieposted August 7, 2015 at 4:38 pm

I’ve got lots of bananas right now so I’m super interested in making this recipe. For some reason my family isn’t that into mini baked goods (weirdos, I know) so could this recipe also work as a conventional banana bread in a loaf pan? Perhaps increasing the bake time to, like, 45 minutes?

• Sallyreplied on August 8th, 2015 at 8:04 am

Yes! This works as a loaf and the bake time would definitely be increased. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean.

Debbieposted November 19, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Made these today, turned out yummy :) Only downside is they stick to the paper cases….

1. Pingback: double chocolate and peanut cookies | omeletta