Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins.

Incredible “lightened-up” chocolate chip muffins with fresh strawberries. Nearly fat-free and only 140 calories each!

Incredible "lightened-up" chocolate chip muffins with fresh strawberries. Nearly fat-free and only 140 calories each! @sallybakeblog

A particularly gray, overcast day over the weekend had me craving something bright and cheery. Preferably a snack on the lighter side to coincide with all of the New Years resolutions floating around. I know health food is on the brain these days!

I am not one to sacrifice taste for health food, so if you’re looking for a treat to keep your tastebuds AND your skinny jeans happy… you’ve come to the right place.

The gray, lifeless weather conditions also made this photo shoot a little tough! Let’s just say I had to rearrange the apartment to snap any acceptable shots. I felt like a mad woman! Sometimes a tripod can’t save even your darkest of lighting conditions.

Back to the real reason you’re here today. Something I whipped up for the chocolate lovers, the New Years resoltions, and the health nuts.  And for my love of strawberries and chocolate together.

Quick, easy, practically fat free muffins you are going to LOVE. And only 140 calories each – even less if you take out the chocolate chips! But I feel they are necessary. :)

Practically fat free? Yes. Some of my favorite muffin recipes could easily be considered dessert. Nothing wrong with that, but if I’m not looking to indulge one morning, I’d like a healthier option. I used unsweetened applesauce in my muffins in lieu of butter or oil. I love using applesauce to replace fat in baked recipes.  It keeps your baked good soft and moist, while keeping it low in fat.

Of course a muffin made with all applesauce won’t taste as rich and sinful as a muffin made with a stick of butter, but it’s the right option if you’re looking to cut back and reduce fat.

The recipe is SO easy and the muffins only take less than 20 minutes to bake.  Everything can be mixed by hand – no mixer required!  There are also no strange or questionable ingredients called for in the recipe – just a few orindary things making an extraordinary muffin.  It’s also a small batch recipe. I don’t know about you, but with the amount of food I bake each week – a small batch recipe is always something I aim for.  You’ll get 10 standard size muffins with this recipe – they can be frozen for a quick grab n’ go kind of breakfast or gobbled up in the first few days you make them.

The muffins are soft, moist, and packed with flavor.  And they are SO versatile.  You may use whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour.  And feel free to switch up the add-ins.  These would be wonderful guilt-free blueberry muffins. Or throw in some white chocolate chips and raspberries. Maybe peanut butter chips and sliced bananas?   My mind is swirling with skinny spin-offs!

The combination of strawberries and chocolate also make these a festive option for Valentine’s Day. Clearly I’m in a holiday state of mind. 😉

Perhaps the easiest muffin you’ll ever bake  – only 8 simple ingredients, taking less than 30 minutes start to finish, no mixer required, no big mess, and a breath of fresh air from all the sweets I know you made over the holidays.  A detox muffin, perhaps?  Yes indeed.

I can hardly wait to share my first skinny recipe of 2013!  If this kind of recipe is your cup of tea, be sure to check out all my healthier choices.  Happy Healthy New Year!

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

Skinny Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Yield: 10 muffins

• 1 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened applesauce*
  • 1 egg white, beaten
  • 2/3 cup diced strawberries
  • 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.

In a large bowl, gently toss the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and applesauce together until no brown sugar lumps remain. Whisk in the beaten egg white until fully incorporated. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula or large wooden spoon until *just* combined - do not overmix. Fold in the strawberries and chocolate chips.

Divide the batter evenly between 10 muffin cups. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Muffins will be lightly golden in color and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean. Mine took about 17 minutes. Remove from the oven and place pan on a wire rack. Allow muffins to cool and enjoy!

Muffins stay fresh in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 5-7 days. Muffins can be frozen up to 3 months.

*Some substitutions for the applesauce: 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons mashed banana, 1/2 cup melted coconut oil, 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons yogurt-- I suggest strawberry or vanilla flavored yogurt.

Looking for some smarter options to start the year off on the right foot?  I got ya covered!

Skinny Banana Blueberry Muffins

131 calorie Skinny Banana Blueberry Muffins |

Baked Low Fat Cinnamon Bun Donuts

Skinny Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Cupcakes

Skinny Peanut Butter Swirl Chocolate Cupcakes

Strawberry Banana Muffins90 calories each, fat free

Strawberry Banana Muffin-2

Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins

Skinny Chocolate Banana Fudge Muffins

See more healthy muffin recipes.

267 Responses to “Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins.”

Radhika @sugar 'n' spice by radhikaposted January 17, 2014 at 9:02 pm

Hi Sally! I made these muffins and they were delicious, bang on! When I tasted them straight off the oven I thought maybe they could use a little most sugar but after cooling down they were ABSOLUTELY perfect. I did make a few changes to your recipe. I used butter instead of applesauce, buttermilk instead of egg (I needed an egg less version) and vanilla essence in place of cinnamon.
    They tasted amazing but weren’t unfortunately as brown as yours (any thoughts) Thank you for the recipe! If you’d like to check them out, you can visit this link:
    P.S. You have been duly credited!
    P.p.s. Many congratulations on your book. I saw your instagram update, it looks FAB!

• Sallyreplied on January 18th, 2014 at 11:04 am

Thanks so much for the congrats about my book, Radhika! Very much appreciated. I loved seeing the photos of your version of the muffins. I suspect the light color is because of the different ingredients you used. Buttermilk is lighter than a beaten egg and butter is lighter than applesauce. Likewise, the brown cinnamon adds to their color here. Regardless so happy you loved them!

• Radhika @sugar n spice by radhikareplied on January 18th, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I loved the color of your muffins so I’m going to try the original recipe too with eggs and cinnamon this time.. Thank you ! :)

Beckyposted February 11, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Hi Sally! I made this recipe tonight and they are delicious!! LOOOVE the strawberry burst in them! I’m wondering though, is there a way I can make these a little more filling? For example adding oatmeal? Or flax seeds?

• Sallyreplied on February 12th, 2014 at 8:54 am

Hey Becky! I’ve never tried it, but I’m sure you could add some oats into the batter or even flax. It’s a very forgiving recipe. Let me know if you play around with it and how it goes!

Wez Thompsonposted February 19, 2014 at 9:51 am

Hey Sally

After making these today I have to say thank you so much! Tasty and sweet and super healthy! Although I’m not sure how but I’ll go with it!

Can I tag you on instagram with a pic of my creation?

• Sallyreplied on February 19th, 2014 at 10:08 am

Definitely! Can’t wait to see it. @sallysbakeblog

Wez Thompsonposted February 19, 2014 at 10:18 am

I’m doing the 80/20 – nutrition/fitness thing. So to be able to have something like this for an afternoon snack is amazing! I’ll tag you when I have my 6 pack sorted, I feel you will play a big part in it 😉

Pancake day is on the way, do you have a skinny pancake recipe??

Samiraposted March 3, 2014 at 5:26 pm

hey! i made these last night, and when i woke up this morning, they were all gone! my roommates still don’t believe that these are almost fat free, thanks for the recipe!!

Yvonneposted March 23, 2014 at 7:15 am

Hi Sally! Thank you so much for this reciepe, it’s what I’ve been looking for! Would you have any tips of ensuring that the strawberries don’t sink to the bottom? Also is it a 1:1 replacement for applesauce: no fat greek yoghurt? Thank you again xx

• Sallyreplied on March 23rd, 2014 at 11:51 am

The strawberries won’t sink because the batter is thick. Yep, you can do 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp yogurt.

Biancaposted April 10, 2014 at 7:37 am

Hi! My friend just gifted me some fresh strawberries because she knew how much I love baking, and I immediately knew who to turn to for recipes! However, would it be possible to add weight measurements for the ingredients, though? Thanks! :)

slposted April 19, 2014 at 7:28 am

yummy! I love strawberries. Is nutritional info available for your recipes. I have a family member who is a type 1 diabetic and must cover carbs with insulin.

Ashleyposted April 30, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Just made these and they were delicious! I love strawberries but never thought to add them to my muffins! Thank you :)

Sofifiposted June 5, 2014 at 10:57 pm

I just finished making these for my favorite teacher. She’s allergic to dairy so it was hard to find something safe yet yummy, and this is the perfect recipe! I haven’t tried them yet but the batter tasted great and they look pretty and summery :) Thank you for the recipe- I love your blog!

Kelly Roseposted June 11, 2014 at 6:40 pm

I don’t leave very many comments, I should but life gets ahead of me and I just mentally praise the kitchen genius and move on. This recipe is one that I couldn’t just mentally praise. On a daily basis I have a struggle getting my son to eat anything moderately healthy. He is a chips, meat and cheese guy. No exaggerations, that is all he will eat! I whipped these muffins up for myself and my son asked for one. I skeptically gave obliged and not only did he eat the whole thing, he asked for seconds and thirds and fourths. I’m not joking, I cried big ole tears. My husband thought I lost my marbles. The best part is I didn’t even put chocolate chips in them! I ran out and was too lazy to run to the store. This recipe will be a staple in our household. It got the pickiest eater in the world to not only eat something new but inhale two fruits while doing so. Wanting to give someone a hug that I’ve never met is not a feeling i get often but this is an exception. I can’t thank you enough!

• Sallyreplied on June 11th, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I am SO glad Kelly! What great news. So happy these healthier muffins are a hit. :) Thanks so much for reporting back!

Sallyposted June 11, 2014 at 10:32 pm

I absolutely loved this recipe! I stumbled across your website over a year ago and I always promised myself that I would try some of your recipes since they all looked so delicious, plus anyone who has the same name as I do has to be awesome!

Well I was right, these muffins turned out so good! I couldn’t stop eating them. I also love how they aren’t just delicious but they’re wonderful to look at. I’ve also made the Skinny Double Chocolate Chip Muffins as well and loved them just as much. I’ve never been able to get my muffins to taste AND look great. It’s either or. But now everything I’ve made from your website has turned out exactly the way it’s supposed to.

ginaposted June 20, 2014 at 8:22 am

I made these with blueberries instead! they look great!

Lara Ararposted June 23, 2014 at 12:31 am

Hello Sally! I am a huge fan of your blog for a looooooong time, but I think I never commented anything here. But I just tried this recipe and OH. MY. GOD. Best muffins I’ve ever had in my entire life! Even better than all the unhealthy bakery muffins I have tried before. Thank you so much for this recipe – it will be my go-to skinny muffin recipe.
    A sweet hug from your fan,

• Sallyreplied on June 23rd, 2014 at 7:47 am

Thanks Lara! I’m so glad you enjoy them.

Jennyposted July 1, 2014 at 2:57 pm

Hi Sally. Made your muffins today. They are very tasty and turned out well. I doubled the recipe and for me this made 12 large muffins. I was nervous because the “batter” resembled more of a cookie dough. I would make these again. Great way to use some of the fresh strawberries I picked with my family.

Sarah Rposted August 20, 2014 at 11:18 am

Hi Sally! I made these this morning with blueberries instead of strawberries & chocolate. I’m curious how long you beat the egg white? Is it meant to be frothy? Mine came out a little chewy (but still delicious) and I wondered if perhaps I didn’t beat my egg white enough. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hi Sarah, yes try to beat until a little frothy next time. Sorry that wasn’t more clear! I’m glad you thought they were delicious. They’re a favorite.

kbposted August 30, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I’ve made these before and they are delicious! I would like to make them for a family member who is allergic to eggs – any suggestion on what to substitute for the egg white? She cannot have dairy, either. Thank you!

Allyeposted October 12, 2014 at 9:05 am

Hi Sally! I recently used this recipe for my post on 10-12-14. I gave credit but i was just letting you know. Have a wonderful day!

Runaposted October 23, 2014 at 8:46 am

With what can I replace the applesauce?
    And how much is a cup of flour in grams?

Mollyposted January 19, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Hello there! These look delicious! I was wondering if there was something I could substitute for the egg white as I do not eat eggs…is there a vegan substitute? Or would it be terrible to leave it out?

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2015 at 9:31 am

Do not leave out the egg. I would try a vegan “flax” egg substitute. 1 Tablespoon ground flax mixed with 2.5 Tablespoons of warm water. Let sit until thickened. Then use in the recipe. This replaces 1 egg. It would be fine to replace the 1 egg white in this recipe.

YMposted February 9, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Hi Sally. Love the sound of these muffins. Do you think it would work to substitute frozen strawberries? Should I thaw ten first? Thank you.

• Sallyreplied on February 10th, 2015 at 1:50 pm

yes, you can use frozen strawberries. Make sure they are chopped up real small and keep them frozen (do not thaw).

annisposted February 25, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Hi sally,

What can be the substitution of an applesauce? Here in Indonesia, it is seldom to see applesauce on the supermarket rack

Thanks alot

• Sallyreplied on February 26th, 2015 at 9:46 am

Mashed banana, greek yogurt, coconut oil. All good subs for the applesauce.

Felicia M.posted March 4, 2015 at 5:38 pm

I made these today to take to a meal after a funeral. I doubled the recipe and they turned out so so so good! Thank you for all your amazing recipes!

Jackieposted March 9, 2015 at 3:11 pm

I made these today and substituted 1/2 coconut oil for the applesauce, as suggested. They did not turn out at all! I was pretty bummed because the pictures look delicious! The batter was super crumbly and did not resemble a muffin batter. I tried cooking it anyway, but nothing happened…they’re just cooked little muffin crumbles. I will try again with applesauce one day. Hopefully it works out!

• Sallyreplied on March 9th, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Hey Jackie! What a bummer. I’m so sorry about that– did you use melted coconut oil? If so, the warm liquid shouldn’t have produced a crumbly batter especially since there is only 1 cold egg white. Let me know if you try the applesauce version.

• Jackiereplied on March 12th, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Hi Sally, I did use melted coconut oil last time, so I’m not sure what went wrong there. I made the muffins tonight with applesauce and they were definitely more muffin-y! :) Thanks for the recipe.

Danielleposted March 15, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Do you have the nutritional value? I’m trying to calculate PP+ for WW. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on March 15th, 2015 at 4:52 pm

I do not besides the calorie count (140)

• Kristenreplied on May 11th, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Hi Danielle (and Sally) – Just an FYI – I used my WW PP+ recipe builder and input this entire recipe and from the WW calculations 1 of theses scrumptious sounding muffins is only 3 points! I’d be willing to bet that if you exclude the chocolate chips the points may be slightly lower. Hope this helps – I’m trying this yumminess tonight!

Allyposted March 15, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Yup. These are delicious! Can’t wait to try different mix-ins!

Saraposted March 16, 2015 at 3:07 pm

There is a a misconception in this recipe because why would you call them healthy when two of the ingredients are the most toxic; wheat and sugar. These cause inflammation so to me the amount of calories is least of my concerns and also it has been said that a whole egg doesn’t cause high cholesterol unlike the wheat and sugar!
    I just want people to be informed and if being healthy is your concern then avoid wheat, soy, sugar and corn. Eat organic and support local farmers.
    That’s my two cents for anyone interested!

• Sarareplied on March 16th, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Oops! Just noticed that I made a typo and I meant to say misleading information.

They do look delicious.
      Will try it using all purpose flour (Purest brand which is gluten free, corn free and non Gmo) and coconut sugar for a really healthy version.

Kimposted March 23, 2015 at 3:33 pm

Sara, for those of us who use counting calories as our weight management program this is greatly appreciated and is considered a healthy option with only 140 calories per muffin.

Sally, thanks for the calorie count information!

Maryposted March 29, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Can I use packed dark brown sugar instead? Or pourable golden brown sugar? I have both of those only. Thanks!

Hannahposted April 2, 2015 at 12:30 am

Tried these tonight – they were delicious, but came out extremely dense, more of a bread-like texture than that of muffins. Any idea why that may be? How “beaten” should the egg white be – foamy, or soft peaks? I’m wondering if I didn’t beat mine enough… Or, could it be because I doubled the recipe (wanted to make 20 instead of 10)?

I should’ve noticed when the batter was extremely dense, it seemed more like bread dough than muffin batter! Wondering where I went wrong :(

Nonetheless, these are delicious and I will be enjoying them over the next few weeks (and reattempting this recipe when I can get my hands on more strawberries)!

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2015 at 8:30 am

I’ve never had issues with their texture from doubling the recipe but it sounds like that is the issue. The more batter you work with, the easier it is to overmix (resulting in dense cakes/cupcakes/muffins). The egg white should only be beaten until foamy.

• Amberreplied on July 1st, 2015 at 10:40 am

Hannah, mine have always been very dense, like cookie dough, and I don’t double the recipe. My girls never ate them very well. This time I added a tsp. of baking powder since every other muffin recipe I use calls for 3 tsp. (I figured I would add it slowly to see what the results are). I don’t know if it helped or not as the batter was still very dense. But the finished muffin seemed to be better and my girls ate them very well. I plan to add a bit of milk next time, too. We’ll see how it goes. Hope this helps!

• Hannahreplied on July 19th, 2015 at 8:00 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I re attempted these last week (without doubling the recipe) and incorporated the teaspoon of baking powder, being very careful not to overmix – what a difference! They were such a hit I made them again this morning, and they’re even better this time (although they’re still not quite as pretty and don’t seem to rise as much as the ones in the photo) :) Will definitely be making these often.

Mindyposted July 5, 2015 at 4:17 pm

im going to try this with Splenda instead of sugar and use whole wheat flour instead of white. My hubbie is Type 2 and we really watch out for all things white.  This recipe looks so good!  I’ll post after and let you know if my subs worked.

Bethposted July 17, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Love this recipe! Have made a few times before, and just made again, but this time using peaches and butterscotch chips, since that was what I had on hand.

Jennaposted August 15, 2015 at 11:48 am

I have all the ingredients except strawberries.
    I saw the banana blueberry recioe, but it is different.
    Has anyone substituted strawberries for fresh blueberries?

Michelleposted October 2, 2015 at 1:46 am

Hey Sally!

For starters, this is one of my favorite categories of your blog. I think muffins are so versatile, fun, and easy to whip up, and I love adding oats to the batter to provide myself a hearty breakfast.

I’m already preparing for finals week for my first semester as a senior (a coma sounds like a great idea just about now). Just a simple question – do these muffins stick to liners? You tend to mention if they do, but I noticed that none of the muffins in your pictures use liners. I just want to be absolutely sure, as is the habit of my anal-retentive self.

Thank you for reading!

• Sallyreplied on October 2nd, 2015 at 9:14 am

Hey Michelle! Muffins are one of my favorite things to bake as well. I don’t recommend liners here. If I remember correctly, they stick.

Sherryposted November 20, 2015 at 5:14 pm

These  muffins are easy to make, taste delicious, and look beautiful!   I was wondering….if you have tried making them as mini muffins and what adjustments would need to be made?

• Sallyreplied on November 21st, 2015 at 9:11 am

No changes to the recipe– just 10-13 minutes bake time for mini size.