1 XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie.

A giant double chocolate cookie that is easy to make and extra fudgy inside. Tastes like an oversized brownie!

Hi my name is Sally and I am in love with giant cookies. Nice to meet you.

If you have been reading SBA for awhile, you may already know about my affinity for large cookies.  I have three different recipes on my website that make 1 giant cookie.  They are perfect for sharing OR gobbling up all by yourself if you’re extra hungry.

You can make them in less than 20 minutes too! They are completely oversized and ridiculous in the best way possible. Here are a few I’ve made:

Each cookie recipe is suited to satisfy monster cookie cravings. With Valentine’s Day tomorrow, I figured making 1 giant chocolate cookie to share with Kevin would be the perfect dessert. Today’s cookie is for all the chocolate lovers out there. All of you serious chocoholics. Get ready to totally swoon.

1 XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie - recipe for only 1 huge cookie

I’m going to be completely honest with you when I say that giant cookies taste better than regular cookies.  Kind of like how mini desserts taste better than regular-sized desserts. Who’s with me? Anyone? Anyone?

The recipe to make this giant chocolate cookie explosion is quite easy.  Would you expect anything less on my blog? I favor approachable recipes that taste completely sinful.  Who has time to slave in the kitchen all day? Not this girl.

This recipe is like any chocolate cookie recipe, just downsized. A few tablespoons of this, a few tablespoons of that. All of your usual chocolate cookie suspects: flour, butter, unsweetened cocoa powder, white sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, and egg. Oh and lots of chocolate chips.

You probably have all of the ingredients in your kitchen right now. A note for the egg: all you have to do is crack an egg, beat it, and use 2 Tablespoons of the beaten egg.

The ingredients are mixed by hand. That’s right, no electric mixer needed today. It’s my kind of last minute dessert. Perfect for desperate and intense chocolate cravings. Which seem to happen often for most of us.

1 XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie - recipe for only 1 huge cookie

When all of your cookie ingredients are all mixed together, shape it into a big ball of dough on top of your cookie sheet.  I shaped my ball of dough with a spoon because the cookie dough is quite sticky. Dot the ball of dough with a few extra chocolate chips on top. You know, for looks.

The second time I made this cookie (yes, twice), I added little heart-shaped sprinkles.

(Always room for sprinkles.)

1 XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie - recipe for only 1 huge cookie

The cookie takes about 14-15 minutes in the oven. Watch it closely! You do not want it to burn, which is hard to tell since it is so dark already.  I always take my cookies out of the oven on the early side, which will ALWAYS give you a softer cookie. And boy, is this cookie soft!  The edges are chewy, the chocolate is gooey, and the decadence is off the charts.  The inside of the cookie tastes like a fudgy brownie. (!!!)

This is going to be the perfect Valentine’s Day dessert after our romantic Mexican dinner. Yes, Mexican.  Does it get any more romantic than guacamole and margaritas? Don’t answer that.

All of this chocolate is just bananas! Heck, just the SIZE of this cookie is bananas.

Giant cookies > regular cookies.

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie

Yield: makes 1 very large cookie

Taste the chocolate explosion.

• 2 Tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2 Tablespoons (25g) granulated sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons (25g) packed light brown sugar (or dark brown)
  • 2 Tablespoons beaten egg (crack an egg, beat it, and use 2 Tablespoons)
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup (32g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 2 Tablespoons (11g) natural unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup (55g) dark chocolate chips + 1 Tablespoon, divided (or semi-sweet chocolate chips)
  • sprinkles, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. In a medium size bowl, mix the softened butter and sugars together with a spoon or fork until creamed. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
  3. In a separate small bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix to combine. Fold in 1/4 cup chocolate chips.
  4. Place the dough in the center of the baking sheet and mold into a tall ball using a spoon (see picture above). Dot the top of the cookie with 1 Tablespoon of chocolate chips. Add sprinkles on top if desired. Bake for 14-15 minutes, or up to 16 minutes. The cookie will appear very soft, but will firm up as it cools. Allow to cool completely on baking sheet.

*Want to make a whole batch of chocolate cookies? Use my easy Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe and swap the white chocolate chips for semi-sweet, if desired.

*You may make four smaller cookies using this recipe. Just divide the dough into 4 smaller mounds on the cookie sheet rather than 1 large mound. Bake for 8-10 minutes.

Who else here loves XXL cookies? Please join my madness!

Try these chocolate-filled recipes next!

Peppermint Patty Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

York Peppermint Patty Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars. Soft, chewy, and gooey! Recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

Super Thick Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies

Soft-Baked Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ultimate Fudge Brownies

Ultimate Fudge Brownies with Peanut Butter Chips-7

276 Responses to “1 XXL Death by Chocolate Cookie.”

Theresaposted September 28, 2014 at 12:26 pm

Could not believe how huge this cookie was! But its so brownie like and amazing you can’t even begin to say I shouldn’t eat that because its to big. Ate the whole thing and not ashamed to say I didn’t share.

Nikiposted September 28, 2014 at 1:44 pm

I followed this recipe exactly without omitting anything but the cookie came out bitter and tasted strongly of baking soda, do you have any idea what I might have done wrong?

Mayaposted October 16, 2014 at 12:14 am

Hi Sally! Thank you sooooo much for this monster cookie! I made it earlier today and it was delicious. For coming up with this recipe, you are my hero!
    Just one question, I noticed you had advised a reader not to use baking powder instead of baking soda. Can you tell me why this is?

Sydney Sunposted October 25, 2014 at 6:07 pm

I just made this cookie for a friend’s birthday tonight and it looks delicious – I wish I had made two so I could eat one!

Aprilposted November 3, 2014 at 9:08 pm

Just found and tried this recipe last week and thank you!! I had major cookie cravings but didn’t want to make a whole batch so this was absolutely amazing.

Michelle @ Modern Acupunctureposted November 18, 2014 at 6:58 pm

Sally you’re a goddess! This is the second time I’ve made this giant cookie. This time I’m not sharing it! It’s so fudgey and chewy and WONDERFUL. I can’t say enough good things about all the recipes you post. Every one turns out perfectly, and every one is a home run. Thank you!!

Barbaraposted December 9, 2014 at 2:29 pm

There are so many good reviews here that I am surprised at how I felt about this. First of all, this made a humongous cookie. I could have made at least six regular sized cookies from one batch. So, if you are looking for a single serving cookie so as not to eat an entire batch of cookies by yourself, then don’t make this recipe. Secondly, this was more like a cake than a cookie. It was a very good chocolate cake, but I was in the mood for a cookie, not a cake. You’d be better off making this in a mini muffin tin. At least then, you may have a better chance of being able to have a small portion. If I ever have a need for a small cake to serve just my immediate family, I may come back to this recipe, but for now, I am still looking for a good single serving cookie. This just does not meet that need.

Shon-Shonposted December 14, 2014 at 1:34 am

This cookie is a party in your mouth. It has a thin crunchy outside shell and soft, chewy and gooey chocolate cookie inside. I definitely will make this recipe again.

marieposted December 17, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I pinned this a few weeks ago and today I finally made 2. What took me so long?!?!? They’re awesome. I will be making this giant hunk of love often. Thanx for a great recipe.

Stephanieposted December 29, 2014 at 11:01 am

Made this with my 8 year old daughter. It was easy for her to do by herself with minimal help. Added some Reese’s Pieces. Huge hit. Chewy, chocolaty, delicious. And the size made it fun. We cut it into wedges and shared with rest of the fam. Thanks for the recipe! PS not muffin-like at all. My guess is that the commenter above probably added too much egg or something.

Mirandaposted January 14, 2015 at 9:55 pm

My cookies usually come out cakey ( I don’t know why) but these came out crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. They were delicious (I went with the 4-cookie option)

Mariaposted January 21, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Hey, I tried out the cookie but it turned out cakey? What am I doing wrong??

Patienceposted January 24, 2015 at 8:15 pm

This was fantastic. I’ve made this from the original recipe and also made them as a giant soft mint Oreo. For the Oreo, I double the recipe, added a little mint extract, and used Andes mint pieces instead of chocolate chips. Then filled them with a copycat Oreo filling of my own to which I added mint extract and green food colouring. I had to cut it into 8 wedges because it was so rich!

Suzie Hangerdoughposted January 27, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I stinkin’ LOVED these they were SO fudgy and rich I was like dying over it! I love baking so much I started since 2nd grade and I saw these on pinterest today and I was like I’m making them and so I whipped them up and I’m thinking about making another batch! Thank you so much for this AWESOME recipe!

Shelby @ Go Eat and Repeatposted February 3, 2015 at 8:33 am

Oh my goodness, this cookie looks amazing. I may have to have it for breakfast this morning….

Meagenposted February 6, 2015 at 11:38 pm

I love this recipe! I was wondering, on the inside out cookies recipe it says to chill the dough, are they not the same recipeÉ

Jennyposted February 7, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Perfect level of chocolate! But mine tasted salty, I followed the recipe exactly so what did I do wrong? Can I reduce the amount of baking soda?

• Sallyreplied on February 8th, 2015 at 7:58 am

I suggest leaving out the salt.

Samposted February 10, 2015 at 11:28 am

Hi Sally! Do you know if this cookie would turn out okay with just white sugar? I’m all out of soft brown sugar and only have crunchy demerera!

• Sallyreplied on February 10th, 2015 at 1:36 pm

That should be fine Sam. Enjoy!

Michelleposted February 23, 2015 at 2:29 am

Hi Sally
    The recipe looks so easy and delicious, thanks for sharing it. I was just wondering, at step 4 after placing the dough ball on the sheet and adding the chocolate chips, do we have to flatten it, or will it flatten itself out during the baking process?

• Sallyreplied on February 23rd, 2015 at 6:24 am

Do not flatten. It will flatten and spread as it bakes.

Anne Woodmanposted February 26, 2015 at 7:49 pm

This recipe is GREAT!

Sarah-Janeposted March 1, 2015 at 2:29 am

Made this for my husbands work meeting (only needed enough baking for him and 2 co-workers). Oh my. It got some pretty rave results! Thank you for another fantastic recipe Sally!

Brittneyposted March 16, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Hi Sally! I have a few questions for you :) I noticed in both this recipe& the giant snickerdoodle silcon mats can be used while baking, but this one’s alternative is parchment paper while the snickerdoodle’s is spraying a cookie sheet.
    1- Is there a purpose for the differences while baking?
    2- Since I have no silpat, do I NEED to use parchment paper for these cookies or can I spray a cookie sheet, or will it mess up the cookie (s)?
    3- What does parchment paper do for bakedgoods?
    Sorry that’s pretty lengthy! I appreciate any & all answers you can give. Thank you, Brittney :)

• Sallyreplied on March 16th, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Brittney, sorry for all the different directions. Really, you can use parchment or silicone baking mat. A sprayed cookie sheet works too! Silicone baking mats are usually my preferred choice these days because it’s easy to use, easy to clean, and great for just about all the other cooking and baking I do.

Katelyn @munchie pieposted March 19, 2015 at 10:21 am

OH MY GOODNESS SALLY!!!! I made this cookie last night. WOW WOW WOW!! Soooo good! I was blown away with how good this was! Usually these smaller batches just taste off but this was seriously perfect. I ate almost the whole thing by myself……so perfect. YUM!

Camilaposted March 23, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Hi Sally! I love your recipes so very much, but I tried these twice, and they came out wrong both times. The cookie spread a lot, so the first time it burnt on the edges, and the second time it was raw in the middle. I followed the recipe exactly both times, can’t figure out what went wrong… But still, I think I’ll try them again, because even if they were not perfect, they tasted delicious!

Kristenposted March 25, 2015 at 7:42 pm

I love this but my dough always seems to wet…or sticky and never bakes in the center! Any tips on what to do there?

Johannaposted April 1, 2015 at 11:02 am

Yeah so I messed up the cookie part, probably because I didn’t follow the instruction (people tell me that the best part about baking cookies is that you can just throw the ingredients all together…) and I wasn’t quite sure if the outcome was edible but – oh my gosh! This is so delicious! I’ve never had a cookie as that tasted as good as this! Thank you so much for sharing this one Sally!

Best wishes from germany!

Jay Solowayposted April 7, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Sally, I have not made this yet, but can see that it will be awesome…just one (2-part) question: If I want to make this as a Red Velvet cookie by adding red food coloring (with the cocoa already in it, I think that would be all that is necessary, right?), how much would you suggest and would that affect the baking time (and if so, what would you suggest? Thank you very much in advance!

• Sallyreplied on April 8th, 2015 at 11:14 am

Jay, there is a little too much cocoa in this cookie for it to be a true red velvet tasting cookie. If you’d like to play around with the flour/cocoa ratio, go ahead! You can add food coloring to tint it red, but I’m unsure exactly how much you will need. The bake time will be the same.

• Jay Solowayreplied on April 8th, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Thank you so much, Sally…I do like to play around with recipes. I’ll make it your way first, then see how much I can do…Will let you know…thanks again…I love your style!

Jay Solowayposted April 7, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Sally…sorry for the duplication…my computer messed up and didn’t regiser the original post

Jay Solowayposted April 8, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Okay Sally…just one more silly question…Can the recipe be doubled for a SUPERSIZED cookie…and if so, how would that affect the baking time?

Amyposted May 22, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Was this dough supposed to be chilled? I tried to make the 4 smaller cookies as noted at the end of the recipe and they spread out flat as pancakes! The taste was terrific, I just need to know what I may have done wrong so they come out right the next time! Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on May 24th, 2015 at 11:00 am

I do not chill this cookie dough– though you certainly can if you find the dough spreads too much

Deboraposted June 6, 2015 at 9:31 am

Hey Sally! I live in Africa and don’t really have access to brown sugar right now but this recipe looks SOOOO tempting! I usually get over cookie recipes that use brown sugar pretty easily, but this one is calling me !!! Do you think it’ll be fine if I use granulated sugar instead?

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2015 at 10:13 am

Yes, all granulated sugar is just fine for this recipe Debora. Enjoy!

Arrianneposted June 15, 2015 at 6:26 am

I know this recipe is called XXL death by chocolate cookie but I couldn’t believe the actual size of it! I had to eat it in two sittings and that is a very rare event for me! Excited to make this again next time the boyfriend is away so I don’t have to share a single crumb!xo

Heatherposted June 18, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Could coconut flour be used instead of all-puproise flour? I can’t have gluten.

Lauraposted June 28, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Hey sally,
    I baked this giant cookie today although, it wasn’t giant.
    it barely expanded and just grew a bit bigger.
    Do you know what may have caused this?
    i was expecting a huge cookie.

Rainposted June 30, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Hi! Is it okay if I use a mixer? Last time I didn’t use a mixer (and it was delicious) but I crunched a lot of the sugar and I didn’t like that very much. Would using a mixer affect the texture of this beautiful cookie?

• Sallyreplied on July 1st, 2015 at 8:33 am

You can definitely use a mixer to mix up the dough.

Debbieposted July 21, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Wow, wow, wow, did this fill the chocolate craving I was having! I couldn’t believe how big the cookie was so I split the dough into three, and now I have individual cookies for later. Yum, thanks!

Deitraposted July 24, 2015 at 11:03 pm

I just pull this out of the oven. It was huge and just what I was craving! Will make the giant snickerdoodle tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

Terriposted July 30, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Sally I have made these and the kids love them. Can you post a traditional chocolate chip version

Chelleposted August 7, 2015 at 11:38 am

Hey Sally, I tried making these but they are not expanding. Any reason and tips? :)

Jenniferposted August 13, 2015 at 5:23 am

Hi Sally! is there a reason that you use baking soda rather than baking powder? Is the cocoa you use natural or Dutched?
    PS – this recipe is amazing! I made it for my now-fiance while I was still winning his heart 😀

• Sallyreplied on August 13th, 2015 at 7:03 am

Use natural unsweetened cocoa. Glad you like it!

Andreaposted August 23, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Have you ever made an XXL Gingerbread Cookie?? I love soft and chewy gingerbread with raisins. I hope you will soon post a recipe if you do. I love your recipes!!!

• Sallyreplied on August 23rd, 2015 at 6:14 pm

I haven’t– but that would be incredible!

Thuyposted August 24, 2015 at 11:27 pm

Wow! I just visit your page for the first time and I am impressed. The cookie looks divine. I am going to give it a try today… I have been struggling with cup, tablespoon, oz… so I often opt for French recipes in my kitchen. But now with yours I have no difficulty. Thanks for sharing. So GREAT you are!

Mabelposted September 7, 2015 at 1:56 pm

When I first saw this cookie, I’m pretty sure my jaw hit the floor. The pictures are incredible – that one of the gooey brownie-like interior sold me.

I baked it twice, and both times it was a little disappointing. The first time, the dough spread so it was thin and the edges were crispy. The center was raw, but there was a hard crust over it. I’m sure it tastes amazing (I’m sick, so I haven’t actually tried it), but it was definitely not thick and soft like I wanted it to be.

I tried it again, (who can resist these gorgeous photos?!) and this time I lowered the oven temperature to 325, chilled the dough, made the dough ball taller, and baked it for longer. It was more evenly baked than my previous attempt, but it still spread and didn’t turn out thick at all.

Do you have any idea what I’m doing wrong? I would love to try this again, but I’m disappointed with the turnout. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 😀

• Sallyreplied on September 7th, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Hi Mabel, try adding 2 more Tbsp of flour. Chill the dough, then bake. Should help!

• Mabelreplied on September 7th, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Thank you so much for the quick reply! You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

I just tried a bit of one – it was very salty. Next time I make it (you’d better believe there’s going to be a next time :D) I will take your advice and reduce the salt a bit. Thanks again!

dawnposted September 12, 2015 at 1:06 pm

holy schmoly…this was delicious. I had a cookie similar at a bakery a few months ago and have been trying to find the recipe ever since. I think I finally found it-only better. Thank you!