S’more Peanut Butter Cookies.

Soft-baked, thick style peanut butter cookies topped with melty marshmallow and chocolate. Bring campfire s’mores inside!

Soft-Baked S'more Peanut Butter Cookies! Bring the campfire s'mores inside with these crowd-pleasing cookies.

Do you remember when I made S’more Chocolate Chip Cookies? Probably not; that was back when no one read my blog besides Kevin and my mom.  Well, those cookies continue to be one of our very favorite ways to eat s’mores.

Today I’m bringing you the same idea, but with peanut butter cookies instead.  Sort of like a fluffernutter sandwich.   I love those. :)

While there’s no graham cracker in this recipe, I still like to think of these cookies as portable little s’mores with a huge peanut butter kick. How can you resist one of these?!

Soft-baked, thick style peanut butter cookies topped with melty marshmallow and chocolate. Bring campfire s'mores inside!

To make today’s cookies, I used one of my favorite peanut butter cookie recipes as the base. It’s my go-to peanut butter cookie dough and have so many cookies on my website using this dough as the base.  They bake up to be so soft, puffy, unbelievably thick, and the most peanutbutteriest cookies I’ve ever tasted. In fact, one reader even told me that the cookies taste like the soft peanut butter inside of a Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup. :)

They are so easy to make.  Many of you rave about them. Just check out all of the comments here!

Here are all of the cookie recipes I have made using my  peanut butter cookie dough base:

And I’m so excited to share my 6th version with you today. Chocolate, marshmallow, and peanut butter are just meant to be. First make my beloved peanut butter cookie dough.  I dare you to resist tasting the raw dough…

S'More Peanut Butter Cookies by sallysbakingaddiction.com

As the cookies bake, cut 12 large marshmallows in half with a knife or a pair of kitchen scissors.

Now these peanut butter cookies only take about 9 minutes in the oven to bake. However, you’re going to pull them out of the oven at the 7 minute mark and stick the cut marshmallow right on top. It’s important to watch the clock in this step!

Press the marshmallow down slightly to flatten the cookie out a bit. After you stick the marshmallow on top, place the cookies back in the oven for 2-3 more minutes. Watch the marshmallows get nice and melty over your soft peanut butter cookies.

Let the cookies cool off for a few minutes before adding the chocolate.

I always use Baker’s melting chocolate bars when I need to cover or dip something in chocolate.  Unless I add shortening, I just never have luck melting chocolate chips to a thin smooth consistency.

Any chocolate made for melting will work for the chocolate on top.

S'More Peanut Butter Cookies by sallysbakingaddiction.com

Use about 2 teaspoons of chocolate per cookie.  Just drop it on top and spread it around the marshmallow with a spoon.  The chocolate hadn’t really set yet when I photographed the cookies, so that’s why it looks extra melty. AKA: irresistible.

The sprinkles were merely and afterthought, but I just love an adorably decorated cookie. I even used some leftover heart sprinkles from Valentine’s Day for a few of them.

Start to finish, these cookies took less than an hour.  You have to let the cookie dough chill for at least 30 minutes.  As they bake, get your marshmallows ready and melt your chocolate.  Top with sprinkles and you’re done.  Wasn’t that easy?

Thick peanut butter cookie base, gooey marshmallow center, melty chocolate topping, and sprinkles for a little something extra.  I don’t think I’ve EVER had a better “s’more” in my life!

There is no combination better than peanut butter and chocolate in this world.  Unless you add marshmallow. Done and done.  We found our new favorite way to eat peanut butter cookies!

Follow me on Instagram and tag #sallysbakingaddiction so I can see all the SBA recipes you make!

S'more Peanut Butter Cookies

Yield: 24 cookies

Using the peanut butter recipe linked above: in a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars together on medium speed. Mix in the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla (in that order). Slowly mix in the baking soda and flour. Do not overmix. Chill dough for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll 1.5 Tablespoons of dough into a ball. Place onto ungreased cookie sheet or silicone baking mat. Bake for exactly 7 minutes. Remove from oven and place marshmallow on top, gently pressing it down into the warm cookie. Place back into the oven for 2-3 more minutes so the marshmallow can melt and the cookie can finish baking.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes. As the cookies cool, melt chocolate according to package directions. Spoon about teaspoons of chocolate on top of each marshmallow and swirl around with the back of the teaspoon. Top with sprinkles if desired. Cookies remain fresh at room temperature for up to 7 days in an airtight container.

Here are my S’more Chocolate Chip Cookies. Just as tasty as today’s peanut butter version. :)

S'More Chocolate Chip Cookies by sallysbakingaddiction.com

If you love s’mores and peanut butter together, you’ll love my S’mores Puppy Chow

Smores puppy chow

One of my favorite pie recipes ever is this S’mores Brownie Pie. It’s a must-make.

S'mores Brownie Pie

122 Responses to “S’more Peanut Butter Cookies.”

Mercedesposted February 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Um, WOW is really the only word I can come up with for these cookies Sally! I actually love to put a peanut butter cup instead of a plain chocolate bar in my regular campfire s’mores, so I just know that I would love these cookies!

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2013 at 8:29 am

WHY oh why have I never put a peanut butter cup on a s’more before? Mercedes, you just opened up a whole new world of campfire s’mores for me. thaaaaaank youuuu!

Julianne @ Beyond Frostingposted February 19, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I adore the big scoop of chocolate on top and the sprinkles just make these look adorable! I can’t believe how easy these look to make. You are totally right about melting the chocolate chips. I wasted a whole bag and almost 30 minutes trying to get it to work over the weekend. Melting chocolate works WAY better.

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2013 at 8:32 am

I agree Julianne, I always use chocolate made specifically for melting. Saves me a headache!

Reeniposted February 19, 2013 at 8:53 pm

These are so stinkin’ cute Sally! So funny cause I’m making s’more cookies tomorrow morning! They’re not peanut butter ones though, which I might add are pure genius and just sent my taste buds into watery overdrive!

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2013 at 8:53 am

I can’t wait to see your s’more cookie recipe Reeni!

Jessposted February 19, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Sally – I had forgotten about the original, so I’m so glad you re-posted this. There are few desserts I love as much as s’mores, but it would be so fun to have them in cookie form. Those marshmallows melt so perfectly on top – what a great idea!

Monicaposted February 19, 2013 at 11:12 pm

Just stumbled upon your blog… love the photos! Everything looks amazing. Can’t wait to try some of your recipes :)

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2013 at 8:57 am

Hi Monica! So glad you found my site. Let me know what you make sometime!

• Sallyreplied on February 20th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Hey Monica! I just tried to leave you a comment on your blog but WP didn’t supply an option to enter/send my comment to you! I’ve seen this on many WP blogs lately. Just letting you know those tofu tostadas look wonderful!

• Monicareplied on February 20th, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Hey Sally! Hm, not sure what’s going on with WP but thanks for stopping by! The tofu tostadas were really delicious!

So many great recipes to choose from on here but I think I will start with the chocolate peanut butter swirl cupcakes which led me to your blog in the first place :) I will have to let you know how they turn out!

Marcie @ FlavortheMomentsposted February 20, 2013 at 10:03 pm

OK, Sally, I made a variation of these cookies using Girl Scout Tagalongs. The cookies are like thick, fluffy, peanut butter clouds. I’m hooked!

Mike 'Cookie Man' D.posted February 25, 2013 at 11:25 pm

Can I have ‘S’more’ of these? Thanks for sharing. We just loved this recipe…brought back fond boy scout memories. Thanks again! :)

• Sallyreplied on February 26th, 2013 at 8:23 am

Haha! I’m so glad you made them and loved them Mike!

Juliaposted March 9, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I substituted half of the flour with whole-wheat flour and you could barely tell – it’s the little things that count!

• Sallyreplied on March 10th, 2013 at 4:27 pm

GREAT suggestion again Julia! Glad you loved them with some WW flour.

Gwenposted April 2, 2013 at 2:25 pm

I made these last night with my 10 y.o. daughter (her favorite part was cutting the marshmallows in half). These cookies are wonderful! Truly, very good cookies. The peanut butter cookie base is pillow-y soft, half a marshmallow is the perfect amount, and using the melting chocolate on top instead of chocolate frosting is the perfect finishing touch because it adds just a touch of firmness for a nice mouth feel, and makes the whole thing non-stick (easy for the little ones to handle). I can’t believe how easy the whole thing went together as well. This recipe is going in my permanent file. Thank you!

BTW, we used a 1 1/2 Tablespoon Wilton cookie scoop and did get exactly 24 cookies. Also our marshmallows didn’t melt over the top of the cookies, which was a bit disappointing. They puffed up really tall which was worrisome (as far as presentaion), but as the cookies cooled they settled down just fine.

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2013 at 8:55 am

My favorite part is to cut the marshmallows too. :) Do happy to hear you and your daughter loved these, Gwen! And yes, the cookies are so so soft, which I love. And going in your permanent file? What a compliment. Thank you so much!

Saraposted April 27, 2013 at 8:05 pm

I knoww this a silly beginner’s question. But what kind of chocolate do you melt? I understand the Baker’s chocolate I know what that is. But like semi-sweet, unsweetened, etc….?

• Sallyreplied on April 27th, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Hey Sara! I used semi-sweet

• Kolleenreplied on May 6th, 2014 at 12:07 pm

Oh! I was wondering the same thing! Thanks!

Rebekah | The Kitchen Gidgetposted December 4, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I just tried this recipe without the toppings because I wanted to test the cookie part. I accidentally left a rack of cookies on the counter overnight and they were STILL incredibly soft and moist in the morning! Can’t wait to try the other variations :-)

• Sallyreplied on December 5th, 2013 at 10:53 am

Rebekah, I know! These cookies are unbelievably soft. They stay soft for days!

Malloryposted January 2, 2014 at 5:15 pm

These cookies are delicious; everyone loved them. I made them for a cookie contest at my office and they won first place! Thanks so much for the recipe, Sally! :)

• Sallyreplied on January 2nd, 2014 at 5:29 pm

WOW! 1st place? That’s amazing Mallory! Not that I’m surprised. These cookies are incredible.

Kolleenposted May 8, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I cannot express how incredibly delicious these cookies are! In fact, I think they taste even better a few days later. I made them for my Bunco group. But my husband is a pb cookie lover, so I’m super excited to have found a new recipe to make for him. They are so unbelievably soft! Yum. Thank you!

Mandiposted May 9, 2014 at 12:34 am

I am in the US Navy. I’ve been following your blog for a few months and bought your cookbook as soon as I could! Everything I have tried so far has come out perfect. I occasionally bring treats to work with me and they are always gone within an hour. This is remarkable because I work in a joint service job (I work with Airforce, Marines, and Army) and, because of strict physical fitness standards, most of the people I work with are on some fad diet or another. When I bring your baked goods in, no one says no! Thanks for making our service members so happy!

• Sallyreplied on May 9th, 2014 at 10:20 am

Mandi, that’s certainly a compliment. I’m so happy that my recipes are so well loved. :)

Carolynposted May 31, 2014 at 4:00 pm

I was looking for a good PB cookie and combined the smore PB recipe but used half a hershey kiss on top of melted marshmellow right out of oven instead of melted chocolate since that is what I had in pantry.

nikaposted November 10, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Hi Sally!

Been looking around your blog and can’t wait to bake some (all) of these recipes! My question is:
    Can this s’mores peanut butter cookie recipe be used as just a plain peanut butter cookie? I only ask because it differs a little from the classic peanut butter recipe you have but you do mention that you use this recipe as a base; is that only when you use add-ins as well?

I love peanut butter and would like a nice soft pb cookie recipe for my go to also…haven’t quite found the right one!

Thanks for your time and all the deliciousness you introduce us to!

• Sallyreplied on November 11th, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Hi Nika– I have a ton of peanut butter cookie recipes that I love. And these particular cookies are so soft. Soft and puffy and thick– they are great as a base without the s’more toppings.

• nikareplied on November 12th, 2014 at 8:27 am

You are absolutely right…they were delicious! Thank you :)

Jenposted December 12, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I feel dumb…. I can’t find the peanut butter cookie dough recipe link….

Kellyposted January 22, 2015 at 5:47 pm

I found your blog about over year ago and have since been making your recipes regularly! I preordered your book too! Your recipes never disappoint, so I knew I had to use one for my school’s cookie contest. This recipe won over the teachers and dethroned the reigning 3 time champion!! They are sooooo good! Thank you, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on January 22nd, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Amazing! Thanks Kelly.

Saraposted April 15, 2015 at 10:47 pm

I made the cookie dough and after it chilled I rolled it into balls and Froze it for an upcoming party. Shoukd I let dough thaw when baking or just add another minute or two?

• Sallyreplied on April 16th, 2015 at 11:18 am

No need to thaw– just bake for an extra minute or two.