Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies.

Super soft, thick, and chewy chocolate cookies made from scratch. Filled with white chocolate chips!

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies - the best chocolate cookie I've ever had!

Nothing beats a good ole fashioned chocolate chip cookie.

Chocolate chip cookies are a timeless classic.  An iconic dessert. I call them pure nostalgia invoking comfort food. There are thousands upon thousands of chocolate chip cookie recipes out there.  While I believe to have the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe ever, I felt the need to get a little feisty when my cookie craving hit over the weekend.

Meet the chocolate chip cookie’s sneaky step-sister… the Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookie. Adding more chocolate makes a chocolate chip cookie even better.

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies - the best chocolate cookie I've ever had!

Do you remember my Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies?  Well, that cookie recipe won the $5,000 Nestle Dark Pinspirations Contest last month!  Thank you all for your votes.  You all loved that cookie recipe so much, I decided to use the same homemade chocolate cookie dough and load it with white chocolate chips.  This cookie dough took me a few weeks to develop, but I can honestly say that it is the BEST chocolate cookie dough on the planet.  And many of you agree!

Soft, chewy, and completely overloaded with chocolate flavor.

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies - the best chocolate cookie I've ever had!

The very best thing about these cookies? The recipe is so easy to make. It’s a chocolate cookie recipe you don’t want to miss. Most certainly my “go-to” for chocolate cookie recipes.

Now, there are a few key steps in this recipe. Sometimes I have readers substitute ingredients for others or skip a step or two. You can’t do that for this recipe. The recipe must be made as written or I can’t guarantee their thickness and softness.

To make the chocolate cookies, start with some room temperature butter.  Most of my cookie recipes call for room temperature butter.  Sometimes this is so inconvenient because I forget to set out the butter ahead of time!  I know I’ve told you about my little butter trick before, but I’ll mention it again in case you missed it. Be careful doing it: in your mixing bowl, cut the stick of butter into 5 small pieces.  Place the mixing bowl in the microwave for 5-10 quick seconds.You do NOT want to melt the butter at all, just soften it.  In fact, start with 5 seconds to be sure. Cutting the butter into small pieces will allow them to warm up individually AND make the butter easier to mix.  Putting the butter out on the counter 2 hours ahead of time is foolproof, but I can never remember to do it!

Beat the softened butter in the mixing bowl with a stand or hand mixer for about 20 seconds on medium speed before adding any sugar. Next, add 1/2 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of dark brown sugar – you may use light brown sugar instead.

Add 1 room temperature egg and 1 teaspoon of vanilla.  Another room temperature ingredient? Yes!  The warmer temperature of the egg will allow the yolk and white to be dispersed more evenly among the other ingredients. I have a trick for you to bring eggs to room temperature quickly: simply put the egg in a bowl with very hot water for 5-8 minutes.  Voila! Room temperature egg.

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies - the best chocolate cookie I've ever had!

Next up are your dry ingredients. Nothing fancy here: all-purpose flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Add these slowly to the wet ingredients.  Sometimes I forget the next ingredient, but you can’t leave it out! The cookie dough is quite thick, so you need *some* liquid to thin it out again.  Use 2 Tablespoons of milk.  No more, no less.  Any more will make your dough VERY sticky and unmanageable. After the milk is mixed in by hand, add your white chocolate chips.  I used 1.25 cups in the dough and then used a few extra to press into each cookie dough ball before going into the oven.

Chill the dough. This step is mandatory. The longer you chill the dough, the less sticky it will be – making it much easier to handle in the next step. I chilled mine for exactly 2 hours. Chilling the dough makes it easier to handle and makes your baked cookies even thicker.

Cold dough = thicker cookies.

Once the dough is chilled, take 2 Tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Your hands will get chocolate on them, so keep a paper towel nearby if you are multi-tasking!  Place the cookie dough balls on a silicone baking mat or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Press a few more white chocolate chips onto the tops of the cookie dough balls.

2 Tablespoons of dough is a lot for each cookie. But these cookies are quite large!  Only 16 cookies came from the batch. And those 16 cookies sure went quickly around these parts!

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies - the best chocolate cookie I've ever had!

The secret to making these cookies so soft comes in this last step.  The baking time.  About 12 minutes for the cookies.  The cookies will appear undone when you remove them from the oven, but that is what you want!  Allow them to cool on the baking sheet, where they will continue the baking process for a few more minutes.

I always slightly underbake cookies so they remain soft.  From making these so often, I’ve found that these cookies keep beautifully and are even softer on day 2. And you know what? These super thick cookies will remain soft for 7 whole days. But I promise, they won’t last that long!

The interior of these cookies are like fudgy brownies. Soft, chewy, fudgy brownies.

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies - the best chocolate cookie I've ever had!

I love soft-baked cookies!  With an overload of white chocolate chips, these decadent chocolate cookies are perfect for desperate and intense chocolate cravings.  For the true chocoholic.  And I know there are many of you out there! Us chocoholics must stick together. 😉

Chocolate cookie + glass of milk + PJs= my slam dunk Sunday afternoon.

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies - the best chocolate cookie I've ever had!

Warning: intense chocolate lovers only.

Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies

Yield: 16 cookies

Prep Time: 2 hours, 10 minutes (includes chilling)

Total Time: 2 hours, 25 minutes

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature*
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light or dark brown sugar
  • 1 large egg, room temperature preferred*
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (125g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons (53g) unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 Tablespoons (30ml) milk
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (225g) white chocolate chips, plus a few more to sprinkle on top

1. In a large bowl using a hand-held or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter for 1 minute on medium speed until completely smooth and creamy. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium high speed until fluffy and light in color. Beat in egg and vanilla on high speed. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
  2. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt together until combined. On low speed, slowly mix into the wet ingredients until combined. The cookie dough will be quite thick. Switch to high speed and beat in the milk, then the white chocolate chips. The cookie dough will be sticky. Cover dough tightly with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and chill for at least 3 hours and up to 3 days. Chilling is mandatory for this cookie dough. I always chill mine overnight.
  3. Remove cookie dough from the refrigerator and allow to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes-- if the cookie dough chilled longer than 3 hours, let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes. This makes the cookie dough easier to scoop and roll.
  4. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. (Always recommended for cookies.) Set aside.
  5. Scoop and roll balls of dough, about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough each, into balls. Place on the baking sheets.
  6. Bake the cookies for 8-9 minutes. My oven has hot spots and yours may too- so be sure to rotate the pan once during bake time. The baked cookies will look extremely soft in the centers when you remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for 5 minutes on the cookie sheet. They will slightly deflate as you let them cool. Transfer to cooling rack to cool completely.
  7. Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months. Bake for about 10 minutes. No need to thaw them.

*See notes in the post about shortcuts to bring to room temperature.

Take a peek at some of the chocolate cookie recipes I’ve made with this simple chocolate cookie dough. 1 dough = so many cookie options!

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies

Salted Caramel Dark Chocolate Cookies

Candy Cane Kiss Chocolate Cookies

Candy Cane Kiss Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies

Soft-Baked Peanut Butter Chocolate Swirl Cookies

See more cookie recipes.

See more chocolate recipes.

The BEST Chocolate Cookies - they taste like brownies!

280 Responses to “Inside Out Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Claraposted March 1, 2015 at 3:23 am

Hi, I loved this recipe! The flavour was so intense, but the top crackled, I had the dough chilling for 3 hours, but it was still very sticky. Was it meant to be like that? How can I make them smooth like yours?

Ballyposted March 3, 2015 at 7:19 am

I’m bally from Bangkok, Thailand I follow your blog for a while and you inspire me to have a passion for baking I just made the chewy chocolate chunk cookies 3 times in a week, the result came out good, it’s super delicious and everyone around me loves this cookies.

So now I’ll try this recipe but I do have a question, instead of using 2 tablespoons of the dough, how many oz if I want to measure them in oz ? Like you did in the chocolate chip cookies (2 oz each ball) please advise.

• Sallyreplied on March 3rd, 2015 at 8:32 am

It will be around 1.5 ounces of dough. Thanks Bally! I love those chewy chocolate chunk cookies.

• Ballyreplied on March 3rd, 2015 at 9:21 am

Thanks for your reply, Sally

Ordering your cookbook via Amazon right now hope to get this soon.
        Can’t wait to see more recipe and lovely photography in it. :)

Lindseyposted March 16, 2015 at 2:31 am

Wanted to experiment and used this recipe as a starting point (because I’ve tried other recipes of yours and they are UHmazing!). I used special dark cocoa instead of regular, did 1/2 c dark chips, 1/2 c white chips, 1/2 c pistachios, and 1/2 c dried cherries. I must say, they are deeeeelicious! Thank you so much for all your hard work and experimentation to find the perfect cookie recipe, my tummy is much happier because of it!

Chelleposted March 18, 2015 at 9:52 am

Sally, I wanted to thank you for another amazing recipe! My boys come home from school on breaks and put in their orders for Sally’s cookies. Last week I made these with peanut butter chips, your classic peanut butter cookies with choc chips added, and to take back to school a double batch of these, and your oatmeal raisin! They were all amazing and there are many appreciative college kids enjoying your cookies. :-) With your site I know I have a ‘go-to’ list of no fail recipies for cookies (and a lot more) I can count on!

Ballyposted March 20, 2015 at 12:18 am

It’s me again, now I’m obsessed with this chocolate cookies I made this too often and now just want to make some twist in here.

Is that possible to put half chocolate chips and half maccademia in this recipe instead of whole chocolate chips, wanna have some crunchy & nutty taste in this cookies at the same time lol.

Kacey W.posted March 22, 2015 at 3:20 pm

These were delicious and relatively easy to make! I’m thinking peanut butter chips would be pretty awesome as well. Thanks for the recipe!

Rebeccaposted April 27, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Dear Sally,
    I absolutely adore your simple chocolate chip cookie recipe! And my second favorite is your red velvet cupcakes.
    However, I have this problem where I measure out about tablespoon balls of dough, and I place them on the pan. The cookies don’t want to spread out when they are in balls. I have to pre-flatten them. Do you have any suggestions?
    I have a convection bake oven (does this make any difference?)

• Sallyreplied on April 28th, 2015 at 9:11 am

The convection bake option doesn’t have much to do with it. Is your dough super stiff? Having to flatten the cookie dough balls isn’t a big deal at all and depending on the cookie recipe, I do that as well. Try chilling the dough for about 1 hour less. That should help.

Yuriposted May 7, 2015 at 12:32 am

Hello! i was wondering if i can use another kind of sugar is not brown sugar? can i makee the whole recipe with granulated sugar and does it changes the texture of the cookie? Thanks so much, ¡besos desde México!

• Sallyreplied on May 7th, 2015 at 9:28 am

The cookies may spread a little more and *might* be a little dry tasting without the moisture of the brown sugar. Let me know if you try it.

Candiceposted May 30, 2015 at 10:18 pm

These are amazing!! I just made a triple batch for a party I am baking for tomorrow. Delicious! I had to taste test them;)

Anhposted June 21, 2015 at 6:53 am

Hello! In your chocolate chip cookie dough recipe, you said that cornstarch is the secret ingredient to making soft and chewy cookies. Just wondering why this recipe doesn’t need cornstarch but looks just as soft and delicious.

I am new to baking and am just curious. Thanks for your time!

• Sallyreplied on June 21st, 2015 at 3:55 pm

I find these cookies extremely soft even without the cornstarch! Feel free to add up to a teaspoon if you’d like.

Carrieposted July 11, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Would it taste just as good if I used regular semi-sweet chocolate chips instead? Thanks

Taylaposted July 25, 2015 at 1:01 am

I really love your recipes and they always come out good. Except for this one :( I have no idea what happened but they spread out so much and are now paper thin :(

Lauraposted August 9, 2015 at 11:53 am

I made these cookies today, but mine are not as thick and puffy! They taste very good! I chilled the dough over night. Any suggestions?

Deni Johnsonposted September 11, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Thank you for this wonderful recipe! I will be using your hints on bringing butter and eggs to room temp many times in the future!

Mariaposted September 13, 2015 at 7:51 am

I just made a batch of these cookies and they are to die for! They are so fudgy, soft and super chocolatey! Mine didn’t turn out quite like yours in the pics, but they weren’t flat either. Could the temperature of my butter and eggs affect the outcome?

Shikhaposted September 26, 2015 at 9:05 am

If I make the cookies 1 tablespoon instead of 2, should I reduce the baking time?

Dakotaposted October 17, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Hello sally! I am a long time follower and love all your recipes! I tried this one yesterday but the spread :( I even let them sit for 24 hours and they were still sticky and spread please help me out so I can try again :) thank you so much!

Antheaposted October 29, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Ive made these quite a few times now and was just munching on one when i realised i HAD to leave a comment. They are seriously the best chocolate-chocolate chip cookie ever. Thanks for the recipe!

Blairposted November 2, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Hello!! I LOVE this recipe so much! In fact, I love everything I’ve tried from your website!! I figured it was about time I left you a comment I think I got this idea from you (or maybe not) but I often make these at Christmas time and sub in Andes mint pieces (regular or peppermint crunch] for the white chocolate chips. Heaven on Earth You are absolutely right when you say these are a very soft cookie and stay soft for awhile. It’s quite literally the best cookie I’ve ever put in my mouth. However, mine never look like yours. They never stay puffy. Yours look sort of chunky and thick and mine spread way out and get kind of thin. They stay incredibly soft, which is odd because usually a thin cookie is a crunchy one. I usually bake them straight on the Pampered Chef stoneware cookie sheet, maybe that’s effecting them? Any thoughts? I’m very pleased with the recipe I just thought I would ask your opinion on this so I could try to make mine appear a little better this Christmas season ☺️

• Sallyreplied on November 2nd, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Blair, are you sure to chill the cookie dough? Perhaps chill it a little longer? OR you can chill the cookie dough for 2-3 hours, then roll into balls, then chill for 2-3 hours more or overnight. You want very cold dough. I suggest baking on a silicone baking mat. If you still find that the cookies are spreading, you can add 2-3 Tablespoons more flour. This should all help!

CKposted November 16, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Not that these need another comment but, geez, these are so good! I refrigerated the dough overnight and the cookies turned out just like yours pictured. Also, I chopped up a Ghiradelli white baking bar, otherwise, stuck to the recipe. I’m now interested in trying the other variations using the dough. Thank you for another great recipe!

Mayposted November 17, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Can I add corn starch to make it help with extra chew and puffiness? Or would this ruin the recipe?

• Sallyreplied on November 18th, 2015 at 10:25 am

I don’t find that necessary– if you’ve made them as written, you know they are extra puffy and soft! Cornstarch doesn’t really add any chewiness to cookies. If you’d still like to add some, you can add 1 tsp.

Jessica Jacksonposted November 25, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I made these and they came out completely flat. Any guesses why? I weighed  every ingredient perfectly.

dianeposted November 27, 2015 at 11:33 pm

I omitted the white chocolate chips & used earth balance soy free margarine because i cant have dairy and they turned out perfect! i turned them into sandwiches with vegan mint buttercream and can not get enough. your cookies are the best!

Darlene Tysonposted November 29, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I wanted to make this cookie dough ahead of time and freeze it. When baking the cookies, should I bake them from the frozen state or thaw before baking?

• Sallyreplied on November 29th, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Bake them frozen– for an extra minute or two.