Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies.

My favorite recipe for soft-baked, chewy funfetti sugar cookies.

My absolute favorite recipe for soft-baked, chewy funfetti sugar cookies. There won't be a crumb left! @sallybakeblog

It’s the return of Funfetti Fridays. Because every Friday deserves a little sprinkle/sparkle to it, right?!

I am very excited for two reasons today:

1) This was the first photo shoot in 8 months that I was able to put away my tripod and free-shoot.  Last weekend, I shared with you that I bought a new camera! Quite the business investment.  It took me a few photo shoots to get used to it and today was my lucky day. I ditched the tripod! Call it perfect lighting, the perfect camera, or the perfect cookie – whatever it was, I was elated!

2) I have been studying, researching, testing, and retesting, and more retesting for months and months to find the perfect sugar cookie recipe.  Thick, soft-baked style, pillow-y, buttery without being greasy, and showered with sprinkles.  Well today folks, here it is.  The winner!

I have several “go-to” base cookie recipes in my archives. From those base cookie recipes, I have the luxury of creating many spin-off cookies using the same dough. My soft-baked chocolate chip cookie recipe has been the base for 7 of my cookie recipes. My soft & thick peanut butter cookie recipe is the base for so many of my favorites! I also have a peanut butter oatmeal cookie recipe that receives rave reviews from readers. And my new, super-thick chocolate cookie base recently won a Nestle baking contest.

And after months of researching, studying, testing, retesting, and retesting some more… I finally found my one and only sugar cookie recipe.  Yes, I did a little happy dance in the kitchen when I took the first bite.

The ingredients are simple. Nothing out of the ordinary. Your usual suspects: all-purpose flour, leaveners, salt, vanilla, butter, egg, sugar, sprinkles. That’s it.  Nothing fancy. Nothing demanding an extra trip to the grocery store. Just pure, easy ingredients for my sugar cookies.

The recipe is quick. The cookies only take about 8 minutes in the oven.  They will look undercooked and very soft. That’s ok – they will continue to bake as you let them cool on the cookie sheet.  I always underbake my cookies because I like them extra soft.

The recipe makes a small batch and can easily be doubled or tripled for a large family, get together, or party. I got 15 decent sized cookies from the batch.  Just enough to have some in our cookie jar and leftovers for Kevin’s coworkers, who are getting quite spoiled with cookies recently.

There’s room for a ton of sprinkles. The dough is thick enough to hold a fair amount of the good stuff.  In my recipe testing, I’ve found that sugar cookie dough can be overly greasy, making it hard to incorporate sprinkles and have them stick. Not these – they’re the perfect soft pillow for a multitude of sprinkles. A lot of sprinkles is a good thing. Especially on a Friday. 😉

I have sprinkle fever.

I am quite certain that nothing compares to sinking your teeth into a soft, chewy sugar cookie. The cookies are so tender, they will melt in your mouth.

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies

My favorite recipe for soft-baked, chewy funfetti sugar cookies.

Yield: 15 cookies

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature*
  • 3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature*
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (190g) spoon & leveled all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar (cannot be omitted)
  • 1/2 cup (80g) sprinkles, plus more for sprinkle on top before baking

In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter for about 1 minute on medium speed. Get it nice and smooth, then add the sugar on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Mix in egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed. Set aside.

In a medium size bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cream of tartar. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 different parts. The dough is quite thick and you may have to stir the rest by hand. Once combined, fold in 1/2 cup sprinkles.
Scoop a large sections of dough (about 2 Tablespoons of dough each) and roll into balls. Make sure the balls are taller, rather than wide. Add a few more sprinkles on top of each ball dough.

Chill the balls of dough on the cookie sheet for at least 2 hours and up to 48 hours in the refrigerator.* This step will prevent spreading in the oven.
Preheat oven to 350F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.

Bake chilled cookie dough for 8 minutes, no more. The cookies will appear undone and very soft. Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes and move to wire rack to cool completely.

Cookies stay soft & fresh for up to 1 week at room temperature. Cookies freeze well. Cookies may be rolled into balls and frozen up to 3 months to bake at a later date. Recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.

*If you're in a pinch and need to soften your butter quickly, cut 1 stick of butter into 5 different sections. Microwave for 10 seconds.

*Room temperature egg is required. To bring the egg to room temperature quickly, place in a warm glass of water for about 10 minutes as you get the other ingredients ready.

*Chilling dough is mandatory.

PS: Try them with holiday sprinkles during December!

Soft-Baked Sugar Cookies for Christmas

See more sprinkle recipes.

See more cookie recipes.

Funfetti Cookies

298 Responses to “Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies.”

Amyposted December 8, 2014 at 3:32 pm

These are really cute! I’m going to try to make them this week, about how many cookies would you say you get?

Beckieposted December 12, 2014 at 12:30 am

the dough is chilling right now. I never make cookies that turn out right. Followed your recipe to the letter. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Kristinaposted December 16, 2014 at 12:01 am

I went to the store but forgot baking powder. I only have baking soda and cream of tartar. Is that okay?

• Sallyreplied on December 16th, 2014 at 8:04 am

Hey Kristina, I actually just posted another sugar cookie recipe today that does not use baking powder. They taste quite similar.

• Kristinareplied on December 16th, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Thank you sooooo much! Before I read your post I went to the store last night / this am and got the baking powder. I used green food coloring and mint extract with chocolate chips…OMG they look so good. They’re in the oven now. Must admit it’s hard to take out after only 8 min… Wish me luck

Jenposted December 24, 2014 at 11:46 am

Whennim put the sanding sugar in they bled.
    Do you know why that happened?

• Amberreplied on December 26th, 2014 at 9:13 am

That happened to me the first batch. When I baked them the second time I used regular sprinkles. After I chilled them in the fridge I sprinkled the sugar on top right before baking. Hope that helps!

Amberposted December 26, 2014 at 9:11 am

The first time I baked these cookies they came out thin even after chilling overnight, yet they tasted great. I decided to bake them again for a holiday party, this time I added 1/4 cup more of flour and they came out excellent. Same great taste, except this time they looked exactly like the cookies in picture. These cookies were a hit. I made a little more than 2 dozen and all the cookies were gone in less than an hour. My new go to sugar cookie recipe. Yummy!

Asleighposted December 30, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I made these for Christmas this year and my brother said they were the best cookies he’s ever had. He requested that instead of a birthday cake I just make him a giant cookie. Luckily, I know you’ve got me covered with a recipe for that!

Ceeposted January 6, 2015 at 10:43 am

Good morning!

Your Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe is amazing. I made them this morning, and my colleagues contend that they “look like something from a magazine ad.”

Question: May I just chill the sugar cookie dough, or must it be chilled on the cookie sheets? I don’t have the room in my fridge to chill the dough on the sheets.

Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2015 at 5:29 pm

You can chill the cookie dough whole, yes. Make sure you let the chilled cookie dough sit at room temperature for around 20 minutes before beginning to roll into balls. The cookie dough will be a little hard and solid right out of the fridge.

Kalani@ The Cake Diariesposted January 7, 2015 at 12:55 am

Hi sally!
    These cookies look amazing and i really want to make them. Why do you use cream of tartar in this recipe? Is it a leavener?

• Sallyreplied on January 7th, 2015 at 2:34 pm

It activates the baking soda to leaven the cookies, yes.

Nozomiposted January 18, 2015 at 9:41 pm

I have a strange question, but what are the bottom and edges of these cookies supposed to look like? Light brown, dark brown, golden brown? There’s something off with my stove (8 minutes means wayyyy underbaked, so I went with ~15 minutes), but because the cookies are supposed to look a little underbaked to begin with, I don’t know if I’m cooking them long enough or far too long. I use parchment paper, and the bottom of my cookies are a light brown, but the edges aren’t brown at all.

• Sallyreplied on January 19th, 2015 at 7:39 am

I would purchase an oven thermometer to check on your oven temperature. The edges of the cookies should be very very light brown.

green-mtn_mommyposted February 12, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Best. Sugar. cookies. ever. PERIOD!
    We made a batch of these *as written* to give to the construction crew on Christmas Eve (our house is in the middle of a construction site) and the whole plate of about 4dzn was gone in 10 min flat!
    Naturally, when the request came for my 2 oldest kids to bring in Valentines treats for scool this week this recipe was 1st on th list. :) We modified slightly by omitting the sprinkles and adding a few drops of pink gel food coloring to the dough. (It seriously looks like something straight out of the book “Pinkalicious”….which is a must read if you have a little girl!!). Anywho, I digress…..We plan to frost and add some sprinkles on top once they are cool. :)

With your permission I would love to post a link to this recipe ( and your blog) in our recipe swap group!!

yasminposted February 21, 2015 at 9:03 am

This recipe sounds great ! But what is a tartar cream ??

Leahlacanlaleposted March 25, 2015 at 2:12 am

i saw someone comment about using a cookie cutter for this recipe…how would I do it? I want to make bunnies for Easter/my daughter’s 1st birthday. Thanks!

aubreyposted March 25, 2015 at 12:28 pm

These were incredibly sweet. I had to bake them longer since the baking pans were cold from the fridge. I had one and had to have a huge glass of milk. I didn’t really want another. I doubled the recipe cuz they were supposed to be for a party. Should I not have double everything? I was bummed:(

charisseposted April 12, 2015 at 5:15 pm

ok, just tried and so far looks great, i will post how it tasted

charisseposted April 12, 2015 at 5:52 pm

tried the 8 mins with 3 mins on the rack, i also did it for 12 mins in oven and 3 mins on rack and this was great the prefect mix or a crunch and chewy
    my family loves it

Elsieposted April 12, 2015 at 7:52 pm

I was just wondering if there is any ajustments for high altitude?

Avigailposted April 29, 2015 at 11:37 am

I made this recipe many times, each time a slight variation. This time I melted the butter instead of creaming the solid, and I made the cookies using the same technique you use for ‘Chewy Chocolate Chunk Cookies’. I wasn’t sure how this would turn out, and so far the batter is on the liquid side. I also added corn starch and used half bread flour/half all purpose because I heard bread flour makes cookies chewier. In the past, I have followed your recipe to a tee, and chilled as directed, but the cookies still spread in the oven and became hard overnight. Aggravating, but still OK since I can always put a wet paper towel or apple slice in the container to soften the cookies.

Jamiposted May 1, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Thought this might be helpful for some. I followed this recipe exactly, except I did not chill the dough at all. And instead of going to all the effort of rolling into balls, I simply used a cookie scoop. This made the perfect-sized balls with very little effort. And since this automatically makes them taller than wide, they cooked perfectly without spreading. No need to add extra sprinkles to the tops, either. They looked very similar to these photos, although thicker and softer in the middle. They only needed 8 min., and they came out soft and delicious without the unnecessary hassle. So good!

Jamiposted May 1, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Oops! I forgot that I did add an extra 1/2 cup of flour because I’m at a high altitude.

allieposted June 2, 2015 at 5:42 pm

my balls didn’t flatten in the oven… ?

Angelaposted June 3, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Tried these yesterday Ah-maze-ing!!!! Making another batch today with a couple modifications 1. Using one small (tbsp) cookie scoop full instead of 2. Cookies were HUGE and no where near done in exactly 8min. 2. Added about an 8th of a tsp of almond extract WITH the vanilla and I must say the batter is just as phenomenal!!! (Not always gonna do this one. Just wanted to see what it would taste like lol)
    Otherwise THE BEST hands down, sugar cookie I’ve EVER eaten!!!! Omgosh!!!! Thanks!!!

Kristineposted June 24, 2015 at 4:06 pm

I just made these and they are amazing!  I am a wedding and event planner, so I am always searching for amazing sweets to consume day to day. These are definitely it!

And I also loved your blueberry muffins and the Chocolate Chip cookies!  I have the chocolate chip cookie recipe memorized. :)

Keep doing what you are doing!  You are always spot on!

• Sallyreplied on June 25th, 2015 at 6:59 am

Thank you so much Kristine!

Cassieposted June 25, 2015 at 9:06 am

Hi sally! Quick intro and quick point, I’m only 11 and I live in Indonesia and my mom loves your recipes and i love them too. So I’m thinking of making this recipe since I’m craving some soft cookies and I want to surprise my parents while they’re gone. I realized we didn’t have any cream of tarter so i wanted to know if we could replace it with something else. It would mean so much to me if you could answer!

• Sallyreplied on June 25th, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Hi Cassie! Cream of tartar is used to react with the baking soda; it cannot be left out of this recipe. You could use just baking powder, though you’d need a little more to get the same puffy cookie. I’m unsure of the exact amount without testing myself. How about these cookies or these instead?

• Liareplied on June 26th, 2015 at 8:01 am

Hi Sally
        I’m Lia, Cassie’s mom. She did make the cookies yesterday, all by herself. We had cream of tartar so she was able to use it. Thanks a lot for replying to her mail. As she said, I love your recipes (I made a lot of it) and we’re both your fans!

Carrieposted June 30, 2015 at 7:08 am

I made these before and I wanted to make more but as soon as i got to your blog i found out about your funfetti cookies supreme recipe. Now I have no idea which one to make! The funfetti one seemed so soft and it has just the right amount of sweetness but I’m so tempted to make the supreme one and I’m afraid if it’s too sweet or not as soft! I need help!!!!

• Sallyreplied on June 30th, 2015 at 8:01 am

Cookie recipes, taste, and texture are very similar! You’ll love the supreme version too.

Laurynposted July 7, 2015 at 9:05 am

This cookie was so delicious. I’m a 15 year old aspiring baker. I’ve tried at least three other sugar cookie recipes that have failed and scared my family from testing my creations with out hesitation. Once I convinced them, they could not stop eating those cookies. They taste kind of similar to a Great Cookie snicker doodle. I added changed it a little by using a full cup of sugar and one and one half teaspoons of vanilla. I look forward to trying your other recipes.

Kaylaposted July 23, 2015 at 12:54 am

Hi sally!
    Do you have to chill these first then freeze them?
    Or can you just put it in the freezer without chilling?
    These look so colorful and delicious!
    I was also going to put some almond extract in with the vanilla extract. How much do you think i should put in?

• Sallyreplied on July 23rd, 2015 at 9:29 am

Yep! You cannot roll the cookie dough into balls without chilling first. Too sticky! You could freeze the dough as a whole, but it would be hard to work with/roll after thawing. How about 1/2 tsp almond.

Pattiposted July 24, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Sally, these are amazing!!! We just moved into a new house and are having our family over for a pool party and I thought these would be a perfect sweet treat. Now I have to actually stop eating them and save them for tomorrow…. Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!!

Katieposted August 12, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Had some difficulties with the cookies spreading. I used parchment paper so maybe that had something to do with it. Even though they aren’t as thick they still were absolutely delicious. Will try again next time :)

Annaposted August 17, 2015 at 6:54 pm

I’d just like to say that these were one of the best cookies I have ever eaten, and my whole family has ever eaten. I’m fourteen, with six younger siblings, and love to bake. Particularly cookies and desserts (…in my defense, I run and play a lot of sports to work it off). Hehe.

Anyways, your recipes never fail, and I’ve found that they’re pretty flexible as well! For example, for this recipe – which turned out ABSOLUTELY PERFECT – I substituted mostly oil and a tablespoon or so of butter for the half-cup of butter listed, and I added an extra teaspoon of vanilla to add a little bit more flavour as I don’t have enough sprinkles on hand. I also added a 1/4 cup of corn starch, and a 1/4 cup of icing/confectioner’s sugar to the dough as I thought that it was a little too sticky…

However, I think the biggest thing I did against the recipe was not chilling the dough.

I know you said it was mandatory, but a craving is a craving and I wanted something sweet. RIGHT THEN. I did NOT want to wait an hour or so for these precious little beauties. They still turned out wonderful and I’d like to thank you so much for this recipe.

on another note…I have never before commented on a recipe blog thing like this. I just felt like I had to. Because these cookies were so very AMAYYYYZING. (Yes, I do know that that is not how you spell amazing).

Thanks again. I will now be scouring your entire blog for my favourite recipes and then in a few days I will probably, despite the heat, be baking.

Abbeyposted August 19, 2015 at 3:16 pm

Could I use cake and pastry flour instead of all purpose flour ?

Heidiposted August 19, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Hi Sally

Is there a typo in the ingredients list?  I measured out 190g of all purpose flour and it only worked out to be just about 1 cup.  My dough was really sticky(and greasy) and only made about 8 cookie balls.  I ended up adding another 1/2cup of flour (which helped the dough and made 12 cookies).  I should also mention that I replaced the egg with 1/4C of apple sauce since my son is allergic to eggs. They are currently in the refrigerator cooling overnight.  I hope it turns out okay!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2015 at 8:26 am

Heidi, 1 cup (4.5 ounces) of all-purpose flour weighs around 125g. 190 is accurate.

• Heidireplied on August 20th, 2015 at 9:45 am

Thanks Sally!  Must something wrong with my scale :(

Sonakshiposted August 31, 2015 at 3:40 am

Your blog is such a delight. To new bakers, like myself, it’s a blessing. Such wonderful advice, such amazing recipes. Thanks heaps.

1 question though, in this recipe, what is the best substitute for cream of tartar? Its a little difficult to find where I live.

Appreciate your time. Thank you. Much love.

• Sallyreplied on August 31st, 2015 at 9:58 am

No subs for cream of tartar here- try these instead and use 2/3 cup sprinkles instead of chocolate chips.

Jenposted September 7, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I made these as directed except I froze the dough overnight, and found that they spread a LOT during baking. Still absolutely delicious, but do you think the freezing was the problem?

• Sallyreplied on September 8th, 2015 at 11:28 am

That’s strange! Maybe it was the freezing? But I wouldn’t necessarily say that’s the only reason. How about you try adding 3 more Tbsp of flour to your next batch if you try them out again.

andreaposted October 2, 2015 at 8:01 am

i should know this but……………..what is the paddle attachment? does it look like an actual paddle without holes in it? my stand didn’t come with one if that’s what it looks like. not sure i’m using the correct piece.