Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes.

100% homemade Strawberry Shortcake. In cupcake form.

These fluffy, fruity Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes are made completely from scratch. And yet are so simple!

I recently partnered with The Bozzuto Group, a real estate company that develops and manages fabulous homes and apartment buildings in the Mid-Atlantic, to create the perfect cupcake recipe in celebration of their 25th anniversary. The recipe was inspired by their office favorite, strawberry shortcake, to go along with their 25 for 25! Sweepstakes.

I haven’t had strawberry shortcake in years! My mom used to make it for us during the summertime for dessert. It was such a treat! I always loaded up on the whipped cream.  My favorite part.

I was excited that my responsibility for the recent partnership with Bozzuto was to make a treat replicating my childhood favorite dessert.

For the cupcakes, I used my go-to vanilla cupcake recipe. It’s a simple vanilla batter that does not require a mixer.  Everything may be mixed by hand.  They are infused with vanilla extract and vanilla bean. Just pure tasting vanilla goodness.  You may leave out the fresh vanilla bean, but I strongly recommend you using it.

These cupcakes are vanilla to the extreme. Soft, fluffy, and so much aromatic vanilla.

What’s strawberry shortcake without… well… strawberries?  I filled my vanilla cupcakes with homemade strawberry filling.  If you think the vanilla cupakes are easy, just wait until you experience the simplicity of this filling.  2 cups of diced strawberries cooked down with sugar and cornstarch.  You must have cornstarch on hand after making these, right?! The mixture will thicken and it will be comparable to a sweet homemade strawberry jam with a few glorious chunks of real strawberry.  Nothing fake or artificial here. Pure strawberries.

100% Homemade Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes - these cupcakes are so easy! Recipe by

Filling the cupcakes is a piece of (short) cake. 😉

Simply carve out a tiny hole in the center of the cupcake with a sharp knife.  The hole will be about 3/4 inch deep.  I didn’t use a ruler or anything – just make sure you don’t hit the bottom of the cupcake and you’ll be all set.  Top the cupcake with the piece you cut out as seen in the background of the photo above. It doesn’t have to look pretty because you’ll be topping the cupcake with whipped cream.

Why didn’t I use a piping tip and bag to fill the cupcakes?  Good question.  The filling has strawberry chunks in it and it’s much simpler to spoon it inside rather than pipe it inside. Spooning the filling is also not as messy. Bonus!

The topping? Well, it’s homemade strawberry whipped cream of course! Between the cupcakes, the filling, and the whipped cream, I found that the whipped cream was the easiest. And quickest!  Nothing from the store can replicate this strawberry whipped cream.

Simply beat 1.5 cups of whipping cream with sugar and vanilla extract.  Beat it all for about 5 minutes until stiff peaks form. Add the leftover strawberry filling you have and beat for another 30-60 seconds.  Boom. Luscious, thick, pink-tinted homemade strawberry whipped cream.

You will layer the strawberry whipped cream on top of the cupcakes with a knife.  Then decorate with a couple strawberry slices if desired. Nothing fancy.   Told ya these cupcakes are easy! I love the pretty chunks of strawberry hiding in the light pink whipped cream. :)

For 100% homemade, frosted, and filled cupcakes – the total time is about 1 hour.  I don’t think you can really beat that anywhere.  These cupcakes cheered us up last week during our 5 day stint of rain.  Rain – every single day!  Strawberry Shortcake brought some sunshine inside.

The fluffy, moist cupcakes are very-vanilla flavored, the strawberry filling is fresh and sweet, and the homemade strawberry whipped cream? Well nothing can top pink whipped cream in my mind. 😉

Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Prep Time: 40 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, plus cooling

100% homemade Strawberry Shortcakes in cupcake form.

• 1 and 2/3 cups (210g) all-purpose flour, careful not to overmeasure
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 2 egg whites*
  • 1/4 cup (62g) yogurt (Greek or regular yogurt; vanilla or plain)
  • 3/4 cup (180ml) milk*
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • seeds scraped from 1/2 split vanilla bean (optional)

Strawberry Filling

• 2 cups diced strawberries (about 10 medium strawberries finely diced)
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons (16g) cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons warm water to rid clumps

Strawberry Whipped Cream

• 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy whipping cream
  • 3 Tablespoons (43g) granulated sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • reserved 1/2 cup of strawberry filling

Make the strawberry filling first. Place the strawberries in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly for about 4 full minutes until the strawberry juices have been released. Add the sugar and cornstarch/water liquid and continue to stir for another 2 minutes. The mixture will be much thicker. Remove from heat and allow to cool as you prepare the cupcakes.

Make the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Stir in sugar - mixture will be gritty. Stir in egg whites, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined. Split 1 vanilla bean down the middle lengthwise. Scrape seeds from half of the vanilla bean into batter.

Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Batter will be thick.

Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before filling and frosting.

Fill the cupcakes: Using a sharp knife, cut a circle/hole into the center of the cupcake to create a little pocket about 1/2 inch deep. Place 1 teaspoon of strawberry filling inside and top with the piece of cupcake you removed to seal. See photos above. Repeat with all 12 cupcakes. You will have leftover filling to use in the whipped cream.

Make the strawberry whipped cream: In a large bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form, about 4-5 full minutes. Add the remaining strawberry filling and continue to beat for another 30 seconds. Frost the cupcakes with the strawberry whipped cream. You may have some whipped cream leftover.

Cover and store cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Whipped cream and filling may be made 1 day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Serve cupcakes chilled.

*Recipe tested with unsweetened almond milk and skim milk. Use any milk, dairy or non, that you prefer.

*Have an extra egg yolk? Make these or these.

What are you up to this weekend? I’m happy to announce that Jude got half of his stitches out.  The vet found that the tumor we had removed on his hind leg was cancerous.  There is a chance it may come back, but we are hopeful that it won’t.  He is still recovering well!  Next week, he will get the remainder of his stitches out.

See more cupcake recipes.

257 Responses to “Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes.”

Lisaposted February 13, 2014 at 11:35 pm

Whoa, these turned out great! It was my first time making cupcakes from scratch and i was pleasantly surprised how easy and delicious they are. Thank you for a recipe even a novice can do:)

Toluposted March 3, 2014 at 11:36 pm

Thank you for a wonderful recipe! Made them for someone who wanted Strawberry cupcakes, they were a BIG hit! The frosting was delicious, not too sweet, it was just right.

Luisposted March 4, 2014 at 9:26 am

I’ve recently started getting into baking…and a lot. Finding your site has been wonderful for me…especially the page specifically for measuring because I’ve noticed that there were some things that I could have prevented just from measuring correctly.

Just wanted to say thank you! These cupcakes will be next on my list.

Caraposted March 17, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Thanks so much for the delicious recipe! These were SO fun to make and are were just perfect for my husbands birthday. SOOOOO delicious!!!

Candiceposted March 30, 2014 at 1:09 am

These were so good. :) I made a batch and brought them to a memorial service. Everybody loved them, they disappeared so quickly. Which is good, but now I’ll probably be asked for cupcakes a lot!

Spoon Lickin' Goodposted March 30, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Oh my! How yummy does this look?! I cannot wait to try homemade whipped cream. We just made a homemade shtrawberry shortcake and a strawberry filled cupcake. You made the combo of both! Looks great!

Jessicaposted April 13, 2014 at 9:41 pm

Hi Sally, this frosting is incredibly divine!! I could tell my cupcakes were very moist when I cut out the centers after baking, but the next day they seemed very dense and drier. Is that the correct texture? I know I did not over beat, and I >think< I measured all ing. correctly.

• Jan Slomkowskireplied on September 13th, 2015 at 7:22 pm

I am making cupcakes for my daughter’s wedding next year and this strawberry shortcake recipe tested very well! How far in advance can I make/freeze them and should I freeze them with the filling or add that after they are defrosted?

Reginaposted May 7, 2014 at 11:46 pm

Jessica is 100% right. The frosting is SPECTACULAR. I made the cupcakes
    tonight so I cannot say how they taste on day 2, but what I can say with 100% confidence is that tonight everything was scrumptious: the cake, the filling and that divine frosting.

I’m sending you a BIG thank you for a truly excellent recipe.

Jessicaposted May 10, 2014 at 6:17 pm

What am I doing wrong? I tried twice making the frosting exactly as you have them described and the frosting turns out all watery. So I tried just doing the heavy cream and started getting stiff peaks but the minute I put in the sugar and vanilla extract it curdled and got all watery!

• Sallyreplied on May 11th, 2014 at 10:59 am

Hi Jessica, whipped cream can separate if you overbeat it or underbeat it. Beat it *just* until stiff peaks form. What is the fat content of the cream you are using? Anything less than around 32% won’t make suitable whipped cream.

Dianaposted May 17, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Hello! I just love your recipe, I pinned! and I’m going to try it today!
    I have one questions.. Why add yogurt to the mix? Which is the effect?
    Thanks! Take care<3

• Sallyreplied on May 17th, 2014 at 2:46 pm

The yogurt lends added moisture.

Emilyposted May 22, 2014 at 3:18 pm

I was wanting to try these out this weekend for Memorial Day, but I was wondering how long the whipped cream frosting will hold up if I make it ahead of time? I’m going to have to drive an hour and a half to get to the lake, so I was hoping to frost the cupcakes once I arrive and just make the frosting before I left… Do you think that would work alright?

• Sallyreplied on May 23rd, 2014 at 5:57 am

That would be fine – I suggest keeping the whipped cream in a cooler for the travel time though.

Erikaposted May 23, 2014 at 1:09 am

Made these today for my son’s birthday. I halved the filling amount because I knew I didn’t want to fill the cupcakes, and then ended up putting the entire half amount into the whipped cream, and the whipped cream is AMAZING. Would eat it just like that! But 1 Tbsp of cornstarch with 1 tsp of water makes a paste as hard as a rock, so I had to add a lot more water to dissolve any clumps. Also, I followed all the other baking instructions and my cupcakes were not super moist and delicate, more dense. Not sure if it is a product of my error or something else. Other than that these tasted just like strawberry shortcake and I definitely would make again!

Amberposted May 27, 2014 at 7:51 am

Is heavy cream and whipping cream the same thing? Might sound silly but I’m just beginning! I made on of your recipes yesterday that called for heavy cream, so I didn’t know if heavy cream and heavy whipping cream was the same? I also can’t get heavy cream around here so I had to make my own

• Sallyreplied on May 27th, 2014 at 11:41 am

Not silly at all! And yes, they are the same.

Amberposted May 27, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Thank you! :)

leslie martinposted June 5, 2014 at 6:46 pm

Hi sally! I’m on a super strict diet because I’m training at the gym. But I honestly can’t give up sweets lol. I was wondering can I substitute some of the sugar for brown sugar and some of the flour for whole wheat flour. Or would it just ruin the whole thing. I don’t want it to taste weird or be stiff as a board. And can I substitute evoo for the butter? Thank you in advance!

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2014 at 7:42 pm

Unfortunately, none of those changes will make a good cupcake – maybe just switching some brown sugar for white sugar. But they will still be loaded with sugar. How about any of my healthier options?

Amyposted July 12, 2014 at 7:41 pm

I made these today and they are delicious!

Katjaposted July 13, 2014 at 1:56 pm

I found your recipe through google where I was seaching for bakes to give my super sweet home made strawberry jam a suitable purpose. Was amazed by your blog first of all and then the cupcakes came out like wonderful fluffy clouds. Delish! The first ever successful cupcake recipe. Thank you for that!

However as my home grown strawberries were extremely sweet, so became my jam. In combination with the cupcakes it tastes a bit too overpowering. Can I decrease the amount of sugar in the recipe or have you got any other advise to decrease the overall sweetness?

Warm regards from Holland!

• Sallyreplied on July 13th, 2014 at 6:52 pm

Hi Katja, all the way in Holland! I appreciate you saying hi. So glad you made these cupcakes. You may certainly reduce the sugar for your exceptionally sweet strawberries.

danielleposted July 15, 2014 at 9:44 pm

I made these for father’s day and everyone was raving about them! They are so fresh tasting! Next time I am going to double the whip cream topping. It was so good I could eat that all by itself!

Sandyposted July 17, 2014 at 4:37 pm

hi there, love your recipes – bought your book too! I wanted to know if instead of yogurt or sour cream in a recipe there is something else I could use.
    thanks so much

wastcougrposted July 29, 2014 at 1:36 am

Hello there,

I’m going to make these tomorrow for a work function, and I’ll use the whites as described, but for future reference, can egg white powder be used, instead? Just curious as then I won’t have wasted yolks (if I don’t want/don’t have time to make something else at that moment)…

Thanks, and I can’t wait to try these!

• Sallyreplied on July 29th, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Hi Christi – I can’t say because I’ve never tried this recipe with egg white powder. Sorry!

Amy GBposted August 17, 2014 at 9:07 am

Thank you soooooo much for sharing this recipe!!

Having not baked for a while and having volunteered to do so for my daughter-in-laws baby shower….. I began searching for the “perfect” recipe and WALLAH I found your site.

The test run was met with great enthusiasm from my testers at home, church and the office. I changed the filling to fresh blueberries and tinted the fresh whipped cream orange omitting any fruit. Placed little blue, green & orange fondant elephants on top. They were a hit!

*I used a grapefruit knife to cut out the cup cakes for the filling, made the perfect hole.

The test cupcakes I took to work had been in the fridge for two days filled & iced. I told them I brought 2-day old baked goods, they still raved about them.

Thank you for helping us have a successful shower.

• Sallyreplied on August 17th, 2014 at 10:17 am

Thanks Amy! I’m so glad these cupcakes were a hit and your version sounds delicious!

Augusteposted September 5, 2014 at 11:58 am

One of the moistest and fluffiest cupcakes. My friends kept raving about them and I had to make them more than once :) An absolutely lovely recipe. Also, I wanted to say a ginormous thank you to you, Sally. Your recipes inspired me to start baking cupcakes and even start considering baking as a profession. I hope to see more amazing and inspiring recipes from you and I wish you the best of luck :)

Aggyposted September 29, 2014 at 5:19 pm

Hi Sally! Quick question: unfortunately I don’t have enough fresh strawberries to make the strawberry filling, can I replace it with store-bought strawberry jam instead?

• Sallyreplied on October 13th, 2014 at 10:06 am

Hi Aggy. I apologize for the delay; I was on vacation. Strawberry jam is just fine.

Toni Torresposted October 3, 2014 at 8:44 am

Hi Sally, I made the cupcakes (with buttercream frosting though) and they were awesome, people loved time for home I’ll use the whipped cream as you did. Thanks for a great from scratch recipe.

Ashi Agrawalposted November 8, 2014 at 1:00 pm

You should make a mango inspired cheescake or cake. It would taste delicious! I saw a book with an idea for taking a mango and cutting it into very thin slices and arranging them into a rose shape on top of a mango cheesecake. I was hoping you could post a good idea for the mango cheesecake! Thank you so much!

Becky Braggposted December 1, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Hello! I want to make something like this for a baby shower this weekend. I would much rather use the frozen strawberries I have from this summer. Have you ever used frozen berries? Any changes to the recipe?

• Sallyreplied on December 1st, 2014 at 4:23 pm

Unfortunately, fresh is best for the filling. You may fill with strawberry jam if you’d like instead.

Melodyposted January 31, 2015 at 1:49 am

Hi! I wanna make strawberry cupcakes, so can I add strawberry puree to the batter instead of filling. How much puree that I have put strawberry in food processor then how much should I add to batter, approx. would you say? Thank you!!

Zaraposted March 19, 2015 at 3:32 am

Hi Sally, these look amazing. Do you think I can replace the yogurt with sour cream? Can’t wait to make these, thanks for posting this recipe.

• Sallyreplied on March 19th, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Sour cream would be just fine. Enjoy!

Michelleposted March 26, 2015 at 12:54 am

hi Sally,

Will I be able to pipe this frosting?

• Sallyreplied on March 26th, 2015 at 7:15 am

Whipped cream won’t hold its shape as tight as typical frostings and buttercreams.

• Donnareplied on March 28th, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I love making home made whipped topping. I add white chocolate instant pudding instead of sugar and it’s pipe-able! It’s very stable, holds it’s shape for hours at room temp but of course it’s dairy so should be refrigerated. You can use vanilla or cries ame flavor but it will have an off white/yellow tint.

• Donnareplied on March 28th, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Oops, CHEESECAKE not cries ame :-/

Savannahposted March 26, 2015 at 12:06 pm

These cupcakes look amazing! I want to do this recipe as a demo for my class, but the only problem is I don’t know any nutritional info. I was wondering if perhaps you may know ? If not, that’s ok! Thanks

Danielleposted April 3, 2015 at 11:27 am

Hi sally. I want to make this for someone for Sunday. I need to make them today and frost tomorrow to deliver tomorrow (Saturday) so you think these will hold up until then? And how could I store these cupcakes u til i frost tomorrow?

• Sallyreplied on April 3rd, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Yes. Keep them in the refrigerator.

melissaposted April 3, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Do the cupcakes get soggy due to the filling if not eaten the day you make it? Or does refrigerating it prevent that?

Jenniferposted April 11, 2015 at 11:40 am

Hey Sally!

I made these before and they were AMAZING.

I want to make this recipe into a beautiful cake, layered with the shortcake and strawberry filling in between with the whipped cream on top. Do you suppose all the measurements will remain the same? Or should I increase the amounts?

I’m thinking a smallish two layer cake – 8″ what do you think?

• Sallyreplied on April 12th, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I actually have that EXACT recipe (only somewhat different) in my cookbook Sally’s Baking Addiction Cookbook. You’ll have to double the ingredients.

• Jenniferreplied on April 14th, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Thanks Sally!

I made it and it turned out great! I’m getting your Cookbook for my birthday and I’m really excited about it! I haven’t made a recipe of yours that I didn’t like yet. 😀

Donna Waldenposted April 28, 2015 at 7:47 am

These cupcakes are the absolute best! I need to make them ahead for a party. Can they be frozen?

• Sallyreplied on April 28th, 2015 at 9:06 am

Absolutely. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator.

Heather Gposted April 29, 2015 at 4:22 pm

I have to make these for a wedding this weekend. I have made them before and absolutely loved them — however I am very concerned with the weather and how the frosting will hold up. The high for Saturday is 79′ (in Georgia), not sure how long these will be out and what the temp will actually be when I set them up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated — I am thinking I may need to swap the whipped icing out for a buttercream? This is my first outdoor event that has been in warmer temp. Thanks!

Kaylaposted April 29, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Could i use whipping cream instead of heavy whipping cream or will it be too unstable?

• Sallyreplied on April 30th, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Yes, the two are nearly identical.

Sarahposted May 12, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Made these for Mother’s Day over the weekend. They were a HUGE hit! Everyone loved them, including myself! Thank you so much for this wonderful recipe!

Russposted May 28, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Could you do this as a cake instead of cupcakes, and what size baking pan would you use. Thanks

Dawnposted June 25, 2015 at 12:25 am

I just made these for my son’s teacher who is retiring tomorrow.  I tried one and it was DELICIOUS! The PERFECT consistency for a short cake I think…I then ate another one…cuz I had to try the filling of course!  I am DYING HERE!!!
    This recipe is an absolute dream to make and to eat 😉  I will be ddefinetly using more recipes that come from you :)
    Can’t wait to put the whipped cream on these bad boys in the morning!!

Meganposted July 2, 2015 at 8:34 pm

I love this recipe…can the cake recipe be used for a flat sheet cake?? (maybe if I double it?)

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2015 at 6:41 am

Yes, absolutely.

Donnaposted July 13, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Will cupcakes get soggy if I fill them the day before I serve them the at party?

• Sallyreplied on July 13th, 2015 at 3:29 pm

Nope, they will be just fine.

Sophiaposted September 11, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Hi there! I wanted to ask a few questions! Can I use Raspberries instead of Strawberries? If so can I frost your Triple Chocolate Cake with the frosting? Oh and would it be better to just use your other Fresh Strawberry cupcakes frosting and use Raspberry Jam?  I love your blog by the way! Your like my number one favorite blog! One more question! Which is better, your strawberry frosting with jam or this one? Thanks, Sophia!

• Sallyreplied on September 12th, 2015 at 9:14 am

Hi Sophia! You can certainly use raspberries instead. I’m not sure there will be quite enough whipped cream to frost the chocolate cake, so you might have to double the quantity. I like both this and the strawberry frosting. This is obviously much lighter in texture because it is whipped cream. The buttercream is heavier and has a stronger strawberry flavor.

Michelleposted September 20, 2015 at 3:13 am

God, I cannot wait to try these out for my mother’s birthday. She loves both vanilla and strawberry, and these look utterly scrumptious. Her birthday’s in December, but a girl’s gotta plan.

Just a question, though — can I substitute vanilla beans with extra vanilla extract? And if so, how much? I want to ensure the vanilla-iest flavor, though I will make the trip to Whole Foods if need be.

Love your recipes, although I’ve truthfully only tried your raspberry lemon cupcakes and your chocolate covered strawberry muffins. I’ve only recently started baking, since senior year requires therapeutic means. However, your recipes have led to divine experiences.

Thank you for taking to time to read this, and have a great night.

• Sallyreplied on September 20th, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I always plan birthday desserts wayyyyy in advance too. Use an extra teaspoon of vanilla extract instead of the beans– just as tasty.

• Michellereplied on September 20th, 2015 at 10:04 pm