Key Lime Pie Squares.

6 ingredient Key Lime Pie Squares – you will fall in love with these zesty, easy-to-make bars!

6 ingredient Key Lime Pie Squares - you will fall in love with these zesty, easy-to-make bars!

I may have had the best key lime pie of my life last weekend in St. Lucia.

You can imagine how fresh the limes tasted and how each bite literally melted in my mouth.  It had this incredible fresh whipped cream on top and a thick banana cream sauce and chocolate sauce swirled on the plate. To die for! The first thing I threw into my shopping cart after I got back to Maryland was key lime juice. I’ve had a 4 day craving for more key lime pie and after I made these… I surely got my fill.

Baking key lime pie squares is much less daunting than baking key lime pie.  Well, for me at least.  There’s no fear that your slices of pie will turn out ugly.  I aim to avoid ugly food at all costs, so these easy squares came to life.

NO words can do these squares justice.  When I took the first bite, I stepped back in my kitchen and told Kevin, “these are the best thing I’ve ever baked.”  Truly, they are.  The combination of cool, creamy, tart lime filling sitting atop a spicy sweet gingersnap crust is unbelievable.  And I made sure to make an extra thick gingersnap crust. For obvious reasons. 😉

These key lime pie squares are truly one of the most refreshing, flavorful summer desserts I’ve had. And you know what?  They are insanely easy to make.  Why spend hours slaving away in your kitchen?  With these, you don’t have to.

The crust is made from gingersnap cookies and butter.  Truly, does it get any better than that?  I used hard and crunchy gingersnap cookies that I found at the store in the cookie aisle.  If you use homemade gingersnaps, make sure they are crunchy.  You could also use graham cracker crumbs in lieu of the gingersnaps.  However, I strongly recommend the sweet/spicy gingersnap cookies to pair with the key lime.

The filling is tart, creamy, and sweet.  The perfect balance of all three.  Not sour in the slightest.  For the best flavor, make sure you use key lime juice.  It is usually with the regular lime and the lemon juice in the juice aisle.

Key Lime Juice

The filling is simple; just 4 ingredients (minus the lime zest!). You’ll need key lime juice, egg yolks, fresh lime zest, sweetened condensed milk, and cream cheese.  Cream cheese isn’t a typical ingredient in key lime pie, but I wanted the filling to have a slight cheesecake taste.  There is only 4 ounces of it in the filling, and that small amount still manages to produce the creamiest key lime pie bar in the world. Truly, you don’t want to leave it out. Make sure you don’t use fat free.

Don’t leave out the lime zest.  It gives the filling some colorful speckles, not to mention even more lime flavor.  You’ll need the zest from one regular lime and then you can cut it up to arrange some pretty decor on top. 😉

After baking the squares, you must let them cool completely and then chill in the refrigerator.  What torture – two hours until you can dig in!  Trust me, it’s worth it.

Are you hungry yet?  Because I don’t have any key lime pie squares left to share. Truly my new favorite dessert!

Key Lime Pie Squares

*Use Gluten free gingersnap cookies to ensure bars are gluten free, if desired.*

Yield: 16 squares

• 2 cups finely crushed *crunchy* gingersnap cookies (or graham crackers)
  • 3 Tablespoons salted butter, melted

• 4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
  • 4 large egg yolks
  • 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk (not fat free)
  • 1/2 cup key lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons lime zest (about 1 lime)

Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a 9x9 baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on the sides, and lightly spray with nonstick spray. Set aside.

Make the crust: Pulverize the crunchy gingersnap cookies into a fine crumb with a food processor. Pour into a medium sized bowl and mix with the melted butter. Press firmly and evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake the crust for 10 minutes as you make the filling.

Make the filling: In a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the cream cheese on high speed until smooth. Beat in the egg yolks, scraping down the sides as needed. Beat in the sweetened condensed milk, lime juice, and lime zest until combined. Pour into the warm crust.

Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until the edges of the bars begin to brown. Allow the bars to cool at room temperature in the pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, place the the refrigerator to chill completely, at least 2 hours.

Once chilled, lift the bars out of the pan using the aluminum foil overhang. Cut into squares. Makes 16 squares. Store squares in the refrigerator (covered) for up to 1 week, if they last that long!

*What to do with the extra egg whites? I made an egg white omelet. Or you can make thesethese, or these.

Today’s dessert reminded me of a couple recipes I make often.

Easy Homemade Lemon Cupcakes

Lemon Cupcakes with Vanilla Bean Frosting

Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars

Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars

You have to check out my Key Lime Pie on page 77 of my cookbook!

Sally's Baking Addiction Key Lime Pie Recipe

Do you love Key Lime Pie as much as I do? My best friend Amy (also my bridesmaid!) has key lime pie every year for her birthday, not birthday cake. Now that’s love!

214 Responses to “Key Lime Pie Squares.”

Jayposted May 21, 2014 at 2:25 am

hey sally :))
    can i squeeze the juice out of limes and substitute that for the key lime juice tht you used?

• Sallyreplied on May 21st, 2014 at 10:51 am

Loganposted May 24, 2014 at 2:24 pm

Hi Sally, Great blog and book! I know you like feedback, so here it goes. I love all of your recipes, efforts, appreciation of your blog followers and book, and sparkly personality. But….why the teethmarks in your food photos? I just can’t enjoy looking at someone else’s partially eaten food. It takes away from your otherwise fabulous shots. I recently read an article on this topic of teethmarks in food photography blog and it was listed as a “don’t do” as a professional guideline. Anyways, love everything else! Hope you consider this feedback to be constructive.

• Sallyreplied on May 24th, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Thanks Logan! That’s actually a fork mark, as shown in the third photo when I cut a piece off the corner.

• Loganreplied on May 24th, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Ok, glad to know and that’s better than teethmarks, ha, but the shot still has that leftover look of being partially eaten by someone else. Maybe if the fork was shown holding the first bite of food, that would portray something more appetizing. Anyways, thanks for being receptive to feedback, even for the small details.

Kenzieposted May 26, 2014 at 10:43 pm

I made these tonight and they were perfect for a warm
    Memorial Day night! Next time I will try with a graham cracker crust to see
    how that tastes! The gingersnap crust will be hard to beat, though!

Coleposted June 3, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Excellent Sally, as usual. The only thing I want to improve is the crumbling of the crust. People loved it so much they were scooping every last lime ginger crumb up with a spoon. Obviously loved by all except forks. :). Maybe yours turned out different or you were like us and just grabbed a spoon.

• Sallyreplied on June 3rd, 2014 at 12:48 pm

Hey Cole! It really depends on how crunchy or thick the gingersnap cookies are – some of my crust crumbled and we did eat a little bit out of the pan with a fork! Anyway, thanks for reporting back. Glad you enjoy these!

Januaryposted June 15, 2014 at 8:35 pm

I just made these for my Dad today because he loves key lime pie so much, and they were absolutely delicious! The only problem I had with them was the crust! I had to use graham crackers, and i wonder if that’s why the crust was basically just the ground up cracker with no hold/solidity? It wasn’t even a crumble really, just the finely crushed cracker. I added another tablespoon of butter to it because i thought it would hold together better, but that didn’t help at all. Is there something else I can add to make the crust an actual crust instead of just crushed graham cracker stuck to the filling? Obviously the whole thing was delicious anyways, but it was hard to get every last bit of “crust”! Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on June 16th, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Hi January! That has me worried – even with the butter your crust was still falling apart? Graham cracker crusts are supposed to be crumbly, but mine usually stick together quite nicely. How about using my graham cracker crust recipe next time – and really pack it into the pan nice and tight. Pre-bake for 5 minutes, too. Here is the crust recipe:

• Januaryreplied on June 16th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

Thank you! I’ll be sure to try that!

Julieposted July 1, 2014 at 4:35 pm

Hi Sally! Doubling this recipe; do I need two 9×9’s or can I use a bigger baking pan?

• Sallyreplied on July 1st, 2014 at 6:27 pm

Hey Julie! You can either bake two batches in 8 or 9 inch baking pans OR double in a 9×13 pan. I am unsure of the bake time in a 9×13 pan, though.

Meganposted July 2, 2014 at 5:10 pm

Hi Sally!
    First off I know this is a really old recipe and also that you’re probably very busy, so I’m not sure if you’ll reply or even see this, but I plan on using this recipe for this coming weekend and I just had a quick question: My family and I are going away up north to a cottage for a birthday party and I was thinking of making these and bringing them for dessert, but it’s a three hour car ride and it’s very hot and humid (I’m from southern Ontario, & it’s about 33 degrees right now). So my question is do you think they would make it? Or how would you suggest I transport them? I was thinking of putting them in a container and then inside of a cooler for drive, but I’m not sure.. Thanks so much in advance, and I love your blog xx

• Sallyreplied on July 2nd, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Hey Megan! These bars would be perfect – I suggest you make them the day before, let them chill overnight in the refrigerator. Cut them the next morning and store in a closed container… and put the container in a cooler. They will be fine as long as they are cool.

Rennae Walshposted July 23, 2014 at 7:46 pm

I made these last night and my husband and I have already eaten half the pan…soo yummy!!! I love all of your recipes Sally!! I swear we have the same taste buds :-)

Bitaposted August 18, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Just searched key lime pie recipes on Pinterest because I’m randomly craving it and this popped up! It’s really beautiful and I swear I can tell the taste from the photos :) I’m definitely going to try this out. Thanks Sally!!

• Sallyreplied on August 19th, 2014 at 2:23 pm

Thanks Bita! Let me know how you like these.

Charlotteposted September 18, 2014 at 4:59 am

Hi Sally!
    I made this last night for a charity bake sale at work and everybody loved them! They weren’t very square so they were more like bars, but I’m usually too impatient for baking so I’m really pleased.
    Definitely going to be making them again!

Whitneyposted September 25, 2014 at 12:16 am

I am so happy with how these turned out! I was like shocked at how good they were and how simple the recipe was! I only had grahm crackers so I used those and added a little bit more butter to make sure it would stick together. This is the first recipe I’ve tried from here and I already am so excited to try more. Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Chrissyposted December 13, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Tried these today and they were delicious! Super tasty & easy to make. The impatient side of me wishes it didn’t take a few hours to cool, but it was so worth it! :)

Vickyposted January 29, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Hi Sally! Your recipes are wonderful and I can’t wait to try these key lime bars. Will an 8×8 pan work? I’m thinking I’ll have to bake a little longer since the bars will be thicker…

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2015 at 8:25 am

Yep, the bake time will be slightly longer.

Kelley Johnsonposted March 7, 2015 at 5:18 pm

This is my FAVORITE recipe on your site! I bake these often (1 – 2 times a month) for my family and friends here in Florida. It is the perfect blend of tangy, creamy, and spicy with that gingersnap crust. There’s actually always a bag of gingersnaps in my pantry now JUST so I can make these on call! lol Funny story – I was baking late into the night for Christmas 2014 when I realized I somehow bought “Key LEMON” juice by mistake (what in the world??). I ended up juicing little key limes all night so that I could still make the three batches I needed. lol

• Sallyreplied on March 7th, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Perfect Kelley. I’m so happy you love these key lime squares! They’re definitely one of my favorites too. And I’ve never heard of or seen key lemon juice?!?!

farrahposted March 24, 2015 at 3:05 am

Hi Sally!Your blog is so awesome. My daughters and I love to bake and I get all our recipes from you. A question for the key lime bars, I am planning to make them as part of the dessert buffet of a party that I am hosting. Can I make this in advance, like say, 2 days before? and how should I store them? I am going to double the recipe, can I bake it in one large pan? Thanks so much!

• Sallyreplied on March 24th, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Hi Farrah, you can make the bars ahead of time. Keep them covered tightly in the refrigerator until serving. Use a 9×13 pan if you double the recipe.

Rosie Dunninghamposted April 15, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Hi Sally, I love love love this recipe! My boyfriend would love them too so I’m hoping to send him a batch by mail, it doesn’t say in the recipe so I’m assuming they can’t be frozen…is this the case? If they can’t, then no problem I can make your amazing peanut butter brownies and freeze them for the journey so that they arrive fresh! Thanks for your help, Rosie xx

• Sallyreplied on April 16th, 2015 at 11:35 am

You can freeze these, Rosie– but I find that after thawing in the refrigerator, the texture is a little off.

Marthaposted April 17, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Just wondering—Have you used the egg whites to make a meringue topping for these bars? Or perhaps just a meringue dollop?

• Sallyreplied on April 18th, 2015 at 9:35 am

I have not, but it sounds delicious.

samantha driveposted May 5, 2015 at 12:39 am

I thought they sounded really yummy and fun but I just didn’t care for them. I made them to take into work for a luncheon but after sampling the finished product I opted to make something else instead. They were just too tart. I think of key lime as more subtle with a surprising twist. And I didn’t care for it paired with the gingersnap crust. But that’s just my opinion. Everyone else here loves them so Yay !!!

dcposted May 23, 2015 at 3:54 pm

I used to make a key lime pie with a gingersnap crust so this is right up my alley! Sadly, my grocery store was out of key lime juice…so I went with just lime. They may not be as fab, but the lime and gingersnap should still be good! Thanks for sharing and reminding me!

Mardi Tanzerposted June 3, 2015 at 2:05 pm

The recipe says to use a handheld mixer. Does it make a difference if you use a standing mixer to beat it? If so, would you use the beater attachment? (not paddle?)

• Sallyreplied on June 5th, 2015 at 7:15 am

It does not make a difference. Use the whisk or paddle attachment.

Kitposted July 7, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Loved!! Made for 4th of July. The perfect summer treat. So easy and absolutely delicious. Tons of compliments. I used a blender instead of a mixer and it worked fine.  Thank you!

amandaposted July 15, 2015 at 5:30 pm

The filling was outstanding, but the crust was way too crumbly. Not sure what I did wrong. Used graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter but they just pretty much stayed crumbly and never solidifed into a crust, so were really messy to eat. Great flavor though! Will definitely try again using more butter and maybe an egg to help bind the crust.

sandyposted August 13, 2015 at 5:41 pm

What did i do wrong? I used 14 ounce sweetened condense milk like the directions have mentioned and it was beyond sweet.  First bite was delicious but after that it was just overwhelmingly sweet.

Judyposted August 22, 2015 at 12:18 pm

I made these yesterday and wow, they are amazing!!! I used half Anna’s ginger thins and half graham crackers. Packed the crust in tight with the bottom of a drinking glass. Used light cream cheese because that’s what I had on hand. Beat with a regular ol’ spatula. Used regular fresh limes. Baked in an 8×8 for about 6 extra minutes. Absolutely delicious! Tart yet oh so creamy. Love it! Thank you for sharing!

P.S. Made financiers (easy little French cakes) with the egg whites. I didn’t even have to whip the egg whites.

christineposted August 23, 2015 at 3:11 am

Hi Sally! Im waiting for my pie to cool down before chilling. I went over 18 mins in the oven as my oven is on a slightly lower temp..the edges are brownish…center jiggle a little…but i notice theres a lot of bubbles on the surface…what did i do wrong? ( smell heavenly in here) thank you xx

Wendyposted August 23, 2015 at 11:59 pm

Way too much crust. Very crumbly like another reviewer said, added another Tble of butter but still was crumbly.  Wouldn’t fit in a 8×8 pan.  Ended up putting it in an 8×11 pan.  But, when all done the crust was twice as high as the key lime filling. Makes me think that the recipe is wrong and the graham crackers should be reduced to 1 cup instead.  Good tasting and will definitely try again but will use less graham crackers.

Sassposted August 29, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Hi Sally – SO love your recipe blog – many many ‘go-to’s in the Baking kitchen of Sass !!

Question – what would you think about a coconut addition to this recipe? 1/2 cup folded in the filling pre-baking, perhaps?

I can NOT get enough coconut these days and MisterMan-O-Mine is all about the lime….
    I thought we might get mutual sweet tooth satisfaction with this idea…

Thoughts? Suggestions?

PS – Another thought….re: the bakers with crumbly crusts…is it possible the pre-bake crust step was missed?

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2015 at 1:20 pm

I fear the texture of coconut in the smooth lime filling might not be ideal, but that’s totally up to you! It would be great worked into the crust though. Or you could toast coconut and sprinkle it on top of the finished bars as they cool. Let me know if you try anything!