Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches.

The best kind of sandwich! Made with vanilla ice cream and homemade cake batter chocolate chip cookies! sallysbakingaddiction.com

Surely you’re familiar with my Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies, right?

They’re famous. They’ve been featured in magazines! These cookies are loved by countless friends, family, and readers. It took me almost 1 year to develop the recipe. And make them absolutely perfect. They’re a cross between a chocolate chip cookie and funfetti cake batter.

The best of both worlds!

These soft and chewy cookies are loaded with chocolate chips, sprinkles, and cake batter flavor!

They’re buttery, soft, chewy, and loaded with goodies: sprinkles, white chocolate, and chocolate chips.

Today I loaded them with something a little different.

Melty vanilla ice cream.

I have a feeling chocolate ice cream would be just as fabulous. Or, if you’re feeling frisky, perhaps some mint chocolate chip ice cream, peanut butter ice cream, or even cake batter ice cream! FYI – Ben & Jerry’s Cake Batter Ice Cream is out of this world! Today, I stuck with vanilla. It’s just what I had in the freezer.

You all know how much I love summer. While I’m already welcoming pumpkin with open arms, I just can’t say goodbye to the sunny weather and flip flops just yet. Although, let’s be honest. The cold weather never stops me from wearing flip flops or eating ice cream.

If you like ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, and cake batter – you’re my best friend AND this recipe is for you. The cookies are, without a doubt, amazing on their own but sandwiching ice cream between two of these chewy, sprinkle-loaded gems is heaven. Cake batter heaven.

I love any excuse to eat two cookies instead of one. Don’t you?

Cookies ‘n (ice) cream.

Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

Yield: about 15 sandwiches

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Make the cookies according to my directions. Allow to cool completely.
  2. Set the ice cream out for about 10 minutes to slightly soften. Take a large scoop and sandwich it between two cookies. Feel free to roll the sides in sprinkles or chocolate chips. Freeze the sandwiches until ready to eat.
  3. For longer storage, tightly wrap ice cream sandwiches individually in saran wrap for up to 2 months.

Try my Skinny Funfetti Milkshake next!

Skinny Funfetti Milkshakes

Right this way for more frozen treat recipes.

Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches will be your new favorite summer treat!

110 Responses to “Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches.”

Abbie @ Needs Saltposted August 20, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Oh my goodness. These ice cream sandwiches look amazing!! (and Breyer’s vanilla is the best. thank you. 🙂
    I need to try those cake batter cookies! I’ve seen them everywhere, and they look soo good. I’ll have to make them next time we have company, so I don’t end up eating them all. x)
    Oh, and I love that plate in the photos! It’s so colorful and pretty. 🙂
    Pinning this!!

Jenposted August 20, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Great minds think alike 🙂 I totally made these last week with your cake batter cookie recipe and they got rave reviews (and they disappeared in a day)! What a simple, yet delicious dessert! I will definitely be making these again soon but may try making red velvet cookie ice cream sandwiches

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 8:52 pm

That is so funny Jen! Yes, great minds DO think alike! Love the red velvet cookie idea.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted August 20, 2013 at 9:17 pm

It’s cake batter squared. I love it Sally!

Amyposted August 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Yum, I love anything with ice cream!! In my town, Baskin’ Robbins has Dollar Scoop Nights on Tuesdays, so I’m actually about to go there now! Too bad they don’t offer cookies with their ice cream scoops… Only cones. I’ll have to talk to them about baking your cookies! 😉

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Dollar Scoop Nights – I am so jealous! Sounds like my kind of deal =)

• Amyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:42 pm

It’s definitely one of my favorites! And when paired with Taco Tuesdays where tacos are only $1, it makes for a great date night. 😉 I loved their flavor of the month for July — Oreos ‘n Chocolate (with fudge ribbons swirled in too!) — but we’ll see if they ran out soon… Hopefully they feature something with pumpkin in November!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Oreos ‘n chocolate = sounds amazing. As does taco tuesday, obviously.

• Amyreplied on August 21st, 2013 at 1:00 am

Come to California then! I’ll treat you to ice cream and tacos. 😉 They still had the Oreos ‘n Chocolate tonight, with extra big chunks of cookies and fudge! (Probably the highlight of my week.)

Alexis @ deliciousfoodideas.netposted August 21, 2013 at 2:33 am

How did I not cotton on to these cookies earlier? And ice cream makes everything better, even before you made me realise you get double the cookie!

Do you think it would go okay with some creamy boysenberry ice cream?

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2013 at 5:52 am

Yes! These would be amazing with strawberry ice cream – love your thinking Alexis!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chefposted August 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

i haven’t had an ice cream sandwich all summer! i know what i’m making this weekend 🙂

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2013 at 10:48 am

Neither had I – until I made these! Thanks Sarah.

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted August 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Yowza! Look at that beautiful cookie sandwich! I have always been a big fan of your delectable cookies, Sally, but putting ice cream between them?!

….I should just go out and buy bigger pants right now lol. 😉

• Kat von Hausreplied on August 30th, 2013 at 9:07 am

Jess, I read your post and had to comment. I had to break down and buy a treadmill because I am addicted to this blog. So many recipes to try! Sally’s the greatest!

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2013 at 9:46 am

You are both so sweet. Thank you so much for your kind words and support! I have to lace up my running shoes quite often with all of these treats.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cookingposted August 21, 2013 at 6:22 pm

“Cake batter” anything and you have my full attention! These look so scrumptious and totally sinful, Sally… right up my alley! I’ve been too good with the grilled meats and salads lately… time to indulge a little!

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Yes! You deserve a little cake batter goodness my friend! 😉

Emily @ Life on Foodposted August 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Bring on the ice cream sandwiches!

Jennie @themessybakerblogposted August 22, 2013 at 11:33 am

Sally, I love your new digs! Your site looks beautiful. Of course I love these cookie sammies. Ice cream piled high between two cookies–I’m so in.

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thanks SO much Jennie!

Mandieposted August 22, 2013 at 11:36 am

Sally, Oh My Word! Your site is SO beautiful! And the sprinkle theme is incredibly appropriate 😉

I wonder why I couldn’t get to your site for about half and hour. Wonderfully done!

I love it! It suits the site so well!

Awesome!

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thanks so much Mandie! I am very pleased with the new website design. Love the sprinkles as well, of course!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted August 23, 2013 at 1:18 am

I’ve never met an ice cream sandwich that I didn’t love, and this is no exception!

And I totally need to hang onto summer. I’m just not ready for those pumpkin recipes yet!

Erin @ Texanerin Bakingposted August 23, 2013 at 11:56 am

I’m not welcoming pumpkin! It’s August. Pumpkin is for October. People gotta stop with the insanity. 😉 (Fall is my favorite season and baking season but come ooon!)

Anyway, love the look of these. I don’t think I’ve ever had cake batter anything. I bet you’re in disbelief. I’ll have to see which of your cake batter recipes I need to start off with!

• Sallyreplied on August 23rd, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Start off with THESE cookies! The holy grail of all that is cake batter. 🙂 You’d love them my friend!

Sarahposted August 25, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Great work. These would be great for the kids birthday parties in the summer. Thanks for the great recipes!

• Sallyreplied on August 26th, 2013 at 8:00 am

They sure would be! Thanks Sarah.

Nutmeg Nannyposted August 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Oh my, it’s the best of the dessert world rolled into one lovely sandwich 🙂 loving this

Kat von Hausposted August 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

OMG! I have been planning to make these before you even posted this. I read Woman’s World every week-my favorite mag. When I saw your cake batter cookies, I had to make them. Immediately I thought: These would make great ice cream sandwiches. Anyway, to cut to the chase, after reading this post, I am most definitely going to make them today for my dear hubby. Thanks, Sally, for such a wonderful blog!

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2013 at 9:47 am

I hope you BOTH enjoy them! And amazing that you thought of these ice cream sandwiches first. 🙂 Thank you for ALL the kind comments this morning.

Kat von Hausposted August 30, 2013 at 9:00 am

I almost forgot to add-these cake batter cookies are the greatest! I have been using different combos of chips-butterscotch works great, too. I can’t wait to make the Potato Chip Toffee Cookies in the latest issue of WW!

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Butterscotch chips – that sounds amazing in these cookies! Thank you for the suggestion. And you have to try those toffee/potato chip cookies next. SO tasty.

It's Emma Eliseposted May 29, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Oh my goodness. I think my stomach just started growling…quite literally.

♥Emma

Monicaposted June 6, 2014 at 10:59 am

New to your website and i LOVE it!! Question: do you normally wrap up each ice cream sandwich individually with saran wrap? I want to make them and bring them to a party and trying to figure out the best way.

• Sallyreplied on June 6th, 2014 at 2:14 pm

Yes, wrapping tightly in saran wrap is a great way to store and travel with them – definitely keep on ice when traveling with them.

Stefanieposted July 30, 2014 at 1:18 pm

Hi, Sally! Long-time follower and baker of your recipes here…made a batch of the cookies for an outdoor movie night and then put some aside to make these sandwiches. Used Turkey Hill “Real” Vanilla ice cream with them…they are fantastic!!! I love that I have these little treats in my freezer and that I made them and they didn’t come out of a box. I love how the cookies get softer (even the ones that I think I baked a little too long) being in the freezer.

• Sallyreplied on July 30th, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Thanks Stefanie! I love these cookie ice cream sandwiches. So good in the summertime. And I love how they get softer too!

Alessandraposted January 20, 2016 at 9:57 am

Can you use the homemade ice cream recipe from your M&M cookies with these or is it too soft?

• Sallyreplied on January 20th, 2016 at 11:20 am

That ice cream works in these cookie sandwiches- yes!