Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches.

Surely you’re familiar with my Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies, right?

They’re famous. They’ve been featured in a magazine! I posted about the feature here. These cookies are loved by countless friends, family, and readers.  It took me almost 1 year to develop them and make them perfect.  They’re a cross between a chocolate chip cookie and funfetti cake batter.

These cookies are the best of both worlds!

These chewy and soft-baked cookies have the flavor of chocolate chip cookies AND cake batter.

These chewy and soft-baked cookies have the flavor of chocolate chip cookies AND cake batter!

They’re buttery, soft, chewy, and loaded with goodies: sprinkles, white chocolate, and chocolate chips.

Today I loaded them with something a little different.

*ICE CREAM*

Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

Melty vanilla ice cream.

I have a feeling chocolate ice cream would be just as fabulous. Or, if you’re feeling frisky, perhaps some mint chocolate chip ice cream, peanut butter ice cream, or even cake batter ice cream! FYI – Ben & Jerry’s Cake Batter Ice Cream is out of this world!!

Today, I stuck with vanilla. It’s just what I had in the freezer.

Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches-6

You all know how much I love summer.  While I’m already welcoming pumpkin with open arms, I just can’t say goodbye to the sunny weather and flip flops just yet.  Although, let’s be honest.  The cold weather never stops me from wearing flip flops or eating ice cream.

Why I love SUMMER - Flip Flop Girl!

If you like ice cream, chocolate chip cookies, and cake batter – you’re my best friend AND this recipe is for you.  The cookies are, without a doubt, amazing on their own but sandwiching ice cream between two of these chewy, sprinkle-loaded gems is heaven.  Cake batter heaven.

I love any excuse to eat two cookies instead of one. Don’t you?

Chocolate Chip Cookies with the flavor of cake batter! These Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are chewy, soft, and oozing with vanilla ice cream.  RECIPE: sallysbakingaddiction.comChocolate Chip Cookies with the flavor of cake batter! These Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are chewy, soft, and oozing with vanilla ice cream.  RECIPE: sallysbakingaddiction.com

Cookies ‘n (ice) cream.

PrintPrint SaveSave

Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches

Keep sandwiches in the freezer for up to 3 days before enjoying.

Yield: about 15 sandwiches

Ingredients:

Directions:

1. Make the cookies according to my directions. Allow to cool completely.
  2. Set the ice cream out for about 10 minutes to slightly soften. Take a large scoop and sandwich it between two cookies. Feel free to roll the sides in sprinkles or chocolate chips. Freeze the sandwiches until ready to eat.

You know what would be just as incredible?

Using banana soft serve inside the ice cream sandwiches!

I show you how to make whipped banana soft serve in my post here.

Skinny Strawberry Banana Milkshake

Surely you’ve tried my Skinny Funfetti Milkshake, right?

Try adding some mini chocolate chips on top. Amaze.

Skinny Funfetti Milkshakes-3

After today’s recipe, you gotta bake these Funfetti Sugar Cookies.

Soft sugary perfection.

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies-2

And a recipe always winning the hearts of others.

Cake Batter Fudge. It’s SO easy to make!

cake batter fudge

See all of my cake batter recipe creations♥

103 Responses to “Cake Batter Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches.”

Jamie @lifelovelemonsposted August 20, 2013 at 7:12 am

Cookie ice cream sandwiches are totally my jam. These look so yummy, and I lovelovelove anything and everything made with cake batter!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 7:18 am

Thanks Jamie – and I love that you said “totally my jam” lol Love that phrase.

Sarah | The Sugar Hitposted August 20, 2013 at 7:13 am

Cake batter anything is my everything. These look FANTASTIC.

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 7:18 am

Thanks Sarah!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?!posted August 20, 2013 at 7:18 am

Your cake batter cookies are already amazing – but you found a way to make them even more amazing! Love the idea of making ice cream sandwiches with them! Perfect for the hot weather we’re having in Boston right now :)

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 7:19 am

Ice cream truly take the cookies to the next level. Stay cool up there!

Nancy P.@thebittersideofsweetposted August 20, 2013 at 7:20 am

This looks perfect! Great way to end the summer before my kids head back to school!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppersposted August 20, 2013 at 7:48 am

Yum! Sally the cookies look amazing and smushed between ice cream! Yes please! What a fun cookie sandwich!!

Madisonposted August 20, 2013 at 7:50 am

GOSH these look amazing and make me want to eat one a warm summer day by the pool. Yum! I made your cake batter cookies and they were a huge hit with my friends. Cannot wait to give this one a try as well!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:28 am

That’s so great Madison! I’m happy the cookies were loved!

Tieghanposted August 20, 2013 at 7:54 am

Your cookies look perfect and so fun! Thanks for reminding me about cake batter cookies. I always seem to forget about cake batter treats since my family is more into chocolate, but I need some different treats lately and these are the perfect thing!

Gorgeous!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:28 am

Lucky for your family and their tastebuds – these cake batter cookies include chocolate. ;) Thanks Tieghan!

Ari @ Ari's Menuposted August 20, 2013 at 7:57 am

Now THIS is my kind of dessert!! Cookies and ice cream are my favorites, and together? Magic. I bet the cake batter cookies make these even more amazing–like cake + cookies + ice cream. Love it girl!!!

Katrina @ Warm Vanilla Sugarposted August 20, 2013 at 8:17 am

These make me want to squeal they’re so pretty!! LOVE!

Eva @ Eva Bakesposted August 20, 2013 at 8:19 am

Sally, you’ve created something that hits all my weaknesses – chocolate, cookies, sprinkles and ice cream! I think you and I were clearly meant to be friends. :)

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 am

Yes – bestest friends!

Shashi @ http://runninsrilankan.composted August 20, 2013 at 8:49 am

Oh wow – these cake batter chocolate chip cookies look divine! Then you added the ice cream!
    Oh My!

Kayle (The Cooking Actress)posted August 20, 2013 at 8:55 am

These are like….the most adorable, festive, ice cream sandwiches evahhh!

Consuelo @ Honey & Figsposted August 20, 2013 at 8:57 am

This couldn’t get any better! I need like 28373 of these sandwiches in my life right now ;-)

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 am

You and I alike, Consuelo ;)

cassieposted August 20, 2013 at 8:57 am

These are such a fun way to end summer. Definite people-pleaser!

Ashley Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine)posted August 20, 2013 at 9:20 am

These look incredible! So tasty.

Cathy Pollak ~ Noble Pigposted August 20, 2013 at 9:22 am

Sprinkles just make you smile and these do just that!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:27 am

They make me smile too. :) Thanks Cathy!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweetposted August 20, 2013 at 9:43 am

These look so fun! Perfect way to end the summer!

marcie@flavorthemomentsposted August 20, 2013 at 10:08 am

I made your funfetti sugar cookies and loved them, so of course I would love them with chocolate chips and ice cream!!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:24 am

The chocolate chip cookie and sugar cookie recipes are much different, so you have to try the cake batter ones next Marcie!

Sarah @ Making Thyme for Healthposted August 20, 2013 at 10:12 am

I haven’t had an ice cream sandwich in forever! These look incredible- I can imagine they are perfect with the cake batter cookies. Summertime all the way.
    I’m excited about the pumpkin recipes too! Ahem, kind of like the one you posted yesterday…

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:18 am

Haha yes! Pumpkin one day, ice cream the next. I am seasonally challenged!

Ikhlasposted August 20, 2013 at 10:47 am

Yum, this looks absolutely to die for, Sally! I still need to make these cookies, and when I do, you can be sure I’ll stuff some ice cream in between two of them. YUM!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:19 pm

You would LOVE these cookies Ikhlas!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishesposted August 20, 2013 at 11:20 am

I’m gonna make these…and I’m totally going to roll them in sprinkles. Great idea!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Yes! Your sprinkle loaded ice cream sandwiches are going to be amazing!

Tarnposted August 20, 2013 at 11:32 am

These look heavenly! I live in California and summer is still in full swing out here! It was a toasty 108 yesterday and something like this would not last too long around here! Just thinking about making these makes me want to jump out of bed and have them for breakfast. Today is supposed to be 104, so I miiiight need to make these today! I have made quite a few recipes since I started following your blog a month or so back and they have ALL been a HUUUUGE hit. Even my boyfriend and his mom who don’t have a sweet tooth devour everything I’ve made. You are simply wonderful!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Oh my goodness! And I think our 90 degree days are bad! I am so glad you make my recipes and that they are a big hit so far! Let me know what you make next, I love hearing about it!

Jen @ Jen's Favorite Cookiesposted August 20, 2013 at 12:17 pm

You just keep taking fabulous to a whole new level. These are absolutely amazing!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:16 pm

You are so sweet, Jen – thanks!

Meredithposted August 20, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Oh yum! I love your sprinkle anything! I just purchased a new ice cream maker so what a great excuse to make MORE ice cream. ;0) I need to try that whipped banana too. I just love your blog! I know I’m told you that before but I’ll tell ya again!. Can’t wait for your cookbook!!!!!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I need an ice cream maker. :) And yes, you have to try that banana whip too Meredith!

Dianaposted August 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Hi Sally!
    I’ve been following your blog pretty much since you started it and I want to congratulate you on how awesome your photography is! You have improved dramatically :) Now you’ve inspired me to practice taking food photography with my dslr :)

Chels R.posted August 20, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Wow, does this ever look like fun!!!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Thanks Chels!

Tina @ Tina's Chic Cornerposted August 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm

You read my mind! I’ve also just taken my favorite cookie recipe and turned it into an ice cream sandwich (a soon an upcoming post on my blog). I don’t want summer to end so I’m doing everything I can to hold on to it and I figure ice cream is a good way. :)
    As always your pictures lure me in and I want to make everything!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Great minds think alike. =)

Laura @ Lauras Baking Talentposted August 20, 2013 at 1:36 pm

These look lik e so much fun! I’m totally going to have to make ice cream cookies the next time I make cookies. Enjoy the last lit bits of summer :)

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Yes! Ice cream takes cookies to the next level. :) Hope you enjoy the rest of your summer too!

cquekposted August 20, 2013 at 1:38 pm

Gosh these are gorgeous!

Becca @ Crumbsposted August 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I’ll have mine with peanut butter ice cream please!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Yep, that sounds amazing!

Julia | JuliasAlbum.composted August 20, 2013 at 2:17 pm

This cookie sandwich looks so cheerful and almost sparkling with all those sprinkles! Cookies and ice cream – what can be better???

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Ok, I thought it was just me who saw the sparkles. ;) Thanks Julia!

Nicole @ Young, Broke and Hungryposted August 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I have always thought your cake batter cookies would be over the top with some ice cream. Love this easy dessert.

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Sounds like we think alike then, Nicole!

Averie @ Averie Cooksposted August 20, 2013 at 3:33 pm

The cookies are gorgeous, Sally, and I know will blow up :) They just have that it-factor to them :) I can see it in the pics! And were these taken with the new 24-70mm? They look great. The clarity is just so sharp.

And funny, my post tomorrow Thurs is about a drippy, melty frozen treat and I even pre-wrote that while some of my friends have posted about pumpkin already, I am still trying to milk summer, a bit longer! And yes to year-round flipflops. I don’t even own closed toed shoes other than running shoes :)

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 4:49 pm

Yes!! I am in love with the 24-70mm lens, Averie. It is a lifesaver. Why didn’t I get it sooner? Worth every single penny! It is making cookbook shoots such a breeze! And I can’t wait to see your frozen treats tomorrow!

• Sallyreplied on August 26th, 2013 at 6:46 pm

test – averie are you receiving this comment reply by email?

Pamela @ Brooklyn Farm Girlposted August 20, 2013 at 4:02 pm

I need those Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies in my life, so here’s to another pin number because they are totally being baked very soon!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Thanks Pamela! Enjoy these – I know you’ll love them!

Jocelyn @BruCrew Lifeposted August 20, 2013 at 4:45 pm

You definitely took your amazing cookies and kicked it up a notch! I love any chance to eat two cookies at once :-)

Zainab @ Blahnik Bakerposted August 20, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I’ve been in the dark. Going to join the rest of pinterest and save it to my must-bake list!! I love the ice cream addition and I am glad you re-introduced it for new followers like me!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Thanks so much for pinning, Zainab! I’m happy I linked back to these cake batter cookies so you didn’t miss them!

Christinaposted August 20, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I’m an ice cream, cookie, and cake batter lover. This is the perfect dessert for me! I bet they’d be great for a kids party!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 8:50 pm

Yes! Christina, they would be a wonderful addition to a kid’s party. Or heck, even a grown up’s party!

Ashley @ Kitchen Meets Girlposted August 20, 2013 at 6:50 pm

We’ve still got hot weather here, so I could definitely use one (or two) of these cookie ice cream sandwiches – so pretty, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Thanks Ashley! =)

Jenn@eatcakefordinnerposted August 20, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Dang girl, these are calling my name!

Liz (Little Bitty Bakes)posted August 20, 2013 at 8:33 pm

One of the great things about living in Florida right now is that it’s legitimate flip flop weather every day of the year! But I say you embrace flip flops up north as long as you can. And these amazing ice cream sandwiches, too!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I am so jealous of 24/7 365 days a year flip flops Liz!

Abbie @ Needs Saltposted August 20, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Oh my goodness. These ice cream sandwiches look amazing!! (and Breyer’s vanilla is the best. thank you. :)
    I need to try those cake batter cookies! I’ve seen them everywhere, and they look soo good. I’ll have to make them next time we have company, so I don’t end up eating them all. x)
    Oh, and I love that plate in the photos! It’s so colorful and pretty. :)
    Pinning this!!

Jenposted August 20, 2013 at 8:51 pm

Great minds think alike :) I totally made these last week with your cake batter cookie recipe and they got rave reviews (and they disappeared in a day)! What a simple, yet delicious dessert! I will definitely be making these again soon but may try making red velvet cookie ice cream sandwiches

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 8:52 pm

That is so funny Jen! Yes, great minds DO think alike! Love the red velvet cookie idea.

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crustposted August 20, 2013 at 9:17 pm

It’s cake batter squared. I love it Sally!

Amyposted August 20, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Yum, I love anything with ice cream!! In my town, Baskin’ Robbins has Dollar Scoop Nights on Tuesdays, so I’m actually about to go there now! Too bad they don’t offer cookies with their ice cream scoops… Only cones. I’ll have to talk to them about baking your cookies! ;)

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Dollar Scoop Nights – I am so jealous! Sounds like my kind of deal =)

• Amyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:42 pm

It’s definitely one of my favorites! And when paired with Taco Tuesdays where tacos are only $1, it makes for a great date night. ;) I loved their flavor of the month for July — Oreos ‘n Chocolate (with fudge ribbons swirled in too!) — but we’ll see if they ran out soon… Hopefully they feature something with pumpkin in November!

• Sallyreplied on August 20th, 2013 at 10:49 pm

Oreos ‘n chocolate = sounds amazing. As does taco tuesday, obviously.

• Amyreplied on August 21st, 2013 at 1:00 am

Come to California then! I’ll treat you to ice cream and tacos. ;) They still had the Oreos ‘n Chocolate tonight, with extra big chunks of cookies and fudge! (Probably the highlight of my week.)

Abbe@This is How I Cookposted August 21, 2013 at 12:37 am

Gorgeous, as always. And I bet they taste better than gorgeous. Like probably incredible!

Alexis @ deliciousfoodideas.netposted August 21, 2013 at 2:33 am

How did I not cotton on to these cookies earlier? And ice cream makes everything better, even before you made me realise you get double the cookie!

Do you think it would go okay with some creamy boysenberry ice cream?

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2013 at 5:52 am

Yes! These would be amazing with strawberry ice cream – love your thinking Alexis!

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chefposted August 21, 2013 at 9:47 am

i haven’t had an ice cream sandwich all summer! i know what i’m making this weekend :)

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2013 at 10:48 am

Neither had I – until I made these! Thanks Sarah.

Jess @ On Sugar Mountainposted August 21, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Yowza! Look at that beautiful cookie sandwich! I have always been a big fan of your delectable cookies, Sally, but putting ice cream between them?!

….I should just go out and buy bigger pants right now lol. ;)

• Kat von Hausreplied on August 30th, 2013 at 9:07 am

Jess, I read your post and had to comment. I had to break down and buy a treadmill because I am addicted to this blog. So many recipes to try! Sally’s the greatest!

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2013 at 9:46 am

You are both so sweet. Thank you so much for your kind words and support! I have to lace up my running shoes quite often with all of these treats.

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cookingposted August 21, 2013 at 6:22 pm

“Cake batter” anything and you have my full attention! These look so scrumptious and totally sinful, Sally… right up my alley! I’ve been too good with the grilled meats and salads lately… time to indulge a little!

• Sallyreplied on August 21st, 2013 at 8:48 pm

Yes! You deserve a little cake batter goodness my friend! ;)

Emily @ Life on Foodposted August 21, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Bring on the ice cream sandwiches!

Jennie @themessybakerblogposted August 22, 2013 at 11:33 am

Sally, I love your new digs! Your site looks beautiful. Of course I love these cookie sammies. Ice cream piled high between two cookies–I’m so in.

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Thanks SO much Jennie!

Mandieposted August 22, 2013 at 11:36 am

Sally, Oh My Word! Your site is SO beautiful! And the sprinkle theme is incredibly appropriate ;-)

I wonder why I couldn’t get to your site for about half and hour. Wonderfully done!

I love it! It suits the site so well!

Awesome!

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Thanks so much Mandie! I am very pleased with the new website design. Love the sprinkles as well, of course!

Chung-Ah | Damn Deliciousposted August 23, 2013 at 1:18 am

I’ve never met an ice cream sandwich that I didn’t love, and this is no exception!

And I totally need to hang onto summer. I’m just not ready for those pumpkin recipes yet!

Erin @ Texanerin Bakingposted August 23, 2013 at 11:56 am

I’m not welcoming pumpkin! It’s August. Pumpkin is for October. People gotta stop with the insanity. ;) (Fall is my favorite season and baking season but come ooon!)

Anyway, love the look of these. I don’t think I’ve ever had cake batter anything. I bet you’re in disbelief. I’ll have to see which of your cake batter recipes I need to start off with!

• Sallyreplied on August 23rd, 2013 at 4:05 pm

Start off with THESE cookies! The holy grail of all that is cake batter. :) You’d love them my friend!

Sarahposted August 25, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Great work. These would be great for the kids birthday parties in the summer. Thanks for the great recipes!

• Sallyreplied on August 26th, 2013 at 8:00 am

They sure would be! Thanks Sarah.

Nutmeg Nannyposted August 26, 2013 at 7:24 pm

Oh my, it’s the best of the dessert world rolled into one lovely sandwich :) loving this

Kat von Hausposted August 30, 2013 at 8:34 am

OMG! I have been planning to make these before you even posted this. I read Woman’s World every week-my favorite mag. When I saw your cake batter cookies, I had to make them. Immediately I thought: These would make great ice cream sandwiches. Anyway, to cut to the chase, after reading this post, I am most definitely going to make them today for my dear hubby. Thanks, Sally, for such a wonderful blog!

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2013 at 9:47 am

I hope you BOTH enjoy them! And amazing that you thought of these ice cream sandwiches first. :) Thank you for ALL the kind comments this morning.

Kat von Hausposted August 30, 2013 at 9:00 am

I almost forgot to add-these cake batter cookies are the greatest! I have been using different combos of chips-butterscotch works great, too. I can’t wait to make the Potato Chip Toffee Cookies in the latest issue of WW!

• Sallyreplied on August 30th, 2013 at 9:46 am

Butterscotch chips – that sounds amazing in these cookies! Thank you for the suggestion. And you have to try those toffee/potato chip cookies next. SO tasty.