Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie.

A thick, creamy, healthy smoothie reminiscent of your favorite childhood sandwich. With 23 grams of pure protein, it will keep you full for hours.

Peaunt Butter Jelly Protein Smoothie with 23 grams of pure protein!

Smoothies and milkshakes are the only thing helping my recent cold.  Kevin got sick last week and I caught the little bug from him. I never get sick!  Now, as I’m pushing my final cookbook deadline, I’m drinking my vitamins left and right to stay focused and healthy!

My recent obsession? Good ole PB&J.  There is nothing like the two together, right?

Except, of course, for this.  ♥

Peanut Butter

This drink is practically pure protein. I made it on Friday afternoon with no intention of feeding my muscles 23 grams of the stuff. That’s right – a whopping 23 grams in 1 huge (HUGE!) smoothie.  It’s not your ordinary smoothie that will have you starving 5 minutes later. In fact, this holds me over for hours!

I call it my “Protein Punch”
  • 6 oz cup greek yogurt → 18 grams
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk → 1 gram (even more if you use skim milk!)
  • 1 Tablespoon Skippy natural peanut butter → 4 grams

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie. Thick, creamy, healthy, and 23 grams of protein. sallysbakingaddiction

When I sipped this drink on Friday afternoon, I had no plans to share the recipe on my blog. But oh my gosh. It is TOO GOOD to keep from you! And the ingredients are SO simple.  Nothing fancy, nothing requiring another trip to the grocery store, nothing you need a dictionary for.

The consistency is that of a milkshake. A fruity, peanut buttery milkshake.  It’s creamy, thick, and smooth.  I needed a spoon to enjoy it before it began to melt, then it was time for some adorable straws.

The secret to its thickness? Greek yogurt and frozen banana.  Don’t worry, you won’t even taste the banana underneath the peanut butter and berries.

Are you aware of my obsession with frozen bananas?  I put them into all of my blended drinks.  Or I just whip up some frozen bananas with a touch of milk to make a two-ingredient, healthy, vegan, gluten-free, vanilla soft serve with no added sugar.  That stuff is amazing. Read about it here.

Peaunt Butter Jelly Protein Smoothie with 23 grams of pure protein!

With the Greek yogurt + frozen banana, add some unsweetened almond milk, frozen berries, and creamy peanut butter.  There is room for substitutions here.  Use your favorite creamy milk – cow’s milk, rice milk, soy milk, coconut milk would all be delicious.  Use frozen raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, cherries – any sort of berry you want.  I prefer to use frozen berries because they won’t thin out the smoothie like fresh berries would.

And for the peanut butter? Use homemade honey-roasted, natural style, crunchy, creamy, flavored, any of the 10 jars of peanut butter I know you have in your pantry right now.

(If you’re anything like me, of course.)

Note: the 23 grams of protein may go up or down depending on which type of peanut butter or milk you use.

Peaunt Butter Jelly Protein Smoothie with 23 grams of pure protein!

I seriously want to drink this smoothie for the rest of my life.  With all that protein, the taste of peanut butter, berries, and its thick, creamy texture = I’m in heaven.  I added 1 cup of spinach to mine yesterday and it instantly made me feel better.   (You can’t taste the greens!)

Go ahead, drink your favorite childhood sandwich. And feel good about doing it! Now excuse me while I go make this for the third time in three days.

☆ Props: I got the glass chalkboard mug used in this photoshoot from Home Goods last month. I got the straws from Sweet & Treats Boutique.

Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie

Yield: 1 very large smoothie

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 5 minutes

A thick, creamy, healthy smoothie reminiscent of your favorite childhood sandwich & with 23 grams of pure protein.

• 1 medium banana, peeled, sliced, and frozen
  • 6 oz Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt (or 2%, flavored or unflavored)
  • 1 cup frozen berries*
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your favorite kind of milk)
  • 1 Tablespoon peanut butter (any kind you like)

Put all of the ingredients into the blender, in the order listed, and blend on high until thick and smooth.  You may need to stop and stir/scrape down the sides of the blender a few times.

Sally Says:

*Any variety of frozen berries will work. Cherries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries. Read above in the post if you want to substitute fresh.

*Add 1 cup of your favorite greens for added nutrition.

Here are some similar recipes you’d love:

Peanut Butter & Jelly Bars with White Chocolate Streusel

PBJ White Chocolate Bars-7

Skinny Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars

Skinny Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Bars-9

Breakfast Cookies

Breakfast Cookies-7

See more drink recipes
See more peanut butter recipes.

Peaunt Butter Jelly Protein Smoothie with 23 grams of pure protein!

124 Responses to “Peanut Butter & Jelly Protein Smoothie.”

Loriposted November 20, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Hi Sally! This looks so delicious. Question: if you wanted to skip the dairy, could you do more almond milk in place of the yogurt? I’m sure it would be less thick and creamy… What about adding protein powder? Thanks, love your blog!

• Sallyreplied on November 20th, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Hi Lori, I don’t like protein powder so I don’t use it in my recipes. I’m sure you could add it to your smoothie though. Yes, you could use more milk instead of yogurt, keeping in mind it may not be as creamy.

Dominicposted November 22, 2013 at 6:55 am

Question: Can i use regular yogurt(flavored or unflavored?) instead of Greek Yogurt? And your Detox Smoothie was amazing!

• Sallyreplied on November 22nd, 2013 at 11:18 am

Hi Dominic – yes, you may use regular yogurt.

Christinaposted November 23, 2013 at 7:49 am

Sally, since you’ve posted this, I must make this smoothie 4-5 times a week. Absolutely delicious, and I don’t usually like smoothies very much! I can’t live without this delicious smoothie now! The only difference is I don’t measure the peanut butter, I just scoop in a big ol’ spoonful 😛 Thank you so much for sharing!

• Sallyreplied on November 23rd, 2013 at 11:25 am

I never measure the PB either, but I had to be exact for the blog recipe. Anyway, sounds like you love this smoothie as much as I do. That makes me glad! :)

Jamieanneposted December 4, 2013 at 7:40 pm

I just made this as a mid-morning pick-me-up. I had to use vanilla yogurt because I didn’t have greek yogurt on hand, a mix of raspberries and blueberries, and I added one cup of spinach. Totally delicious! :)

• Sallyreplied on December 5th, 2013 at 10:53 am

Any yogurt is great for this smoothie! It’s one of my favorite things to make when I want something refreshing and quick. Thanks Jamie!

Sarahposted December 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Oh Sally, I made this with my new Ninja prep blender I got for Christmas with some blueberry Greek yogurt, frozen bananas and raspberries, and chunky peanut butter. Absolutely delish–better than the sandwich. Mmmmmm :) Thanks for sharing!!!

• Sallyreplied on December 29th, 2013 at 1:23 pm

I love my ninja! Sarah, I’m so glad you got one of those for Christmas. You will love it. And your version sounds so good!

Bobbi Jeanposted January 3, 2014 at 5:55 pm

Wow this is good! We have a smoothie place in Iowa that makes these and they’re phenomenal! ADD SOME HONEY TO MAKE IT THAT MUCH MORE DELICIOUS!

Julieposted January 12, 2014 at 9:46 am

Wow, when I read the recipe I thought it would be good, but WOW! Thank you for a great tasting, high protien smoothie! I love the fact that you are using natural ingredients, that chalky taste is intolerable some(most)times!

• Sallyreplied on January 12th, 2014 at 3:02 pm

I just cannot get on board with protein powder. Have never found one I liked! You’re welcome for this recipe. I make it all the time!

Debbi kohutposted January 13, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Hey Sally! We fixed this delicious smoothie and then my daughters had a “Sally moment” they added whipped cream and SPRINKLES!! Thanks sooooo much!

• Sallyreplied on January 13th, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I just laughed so loud at “sally moment” haha thanks for making my night Debbi!

Eliana Gposted April 1, 2014 at 12:33 pm

any suggestions for banana substitutes? not such a banana fan but i see it in a lot of your smoothies

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I’d say frozen yogurt would be the best choice – or even more yogurt with a little ice (though that would make it semi-slushy). I use banana in my smoothies for its creamy, thick consistency.

Rachaelposted June 4, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I have to let you know that I have made this three times in the past three days and will continue to have it.
    It is the most delicious smoothie I have ever had. I look forward to every morning when I whip out the blender to make this heavenly drink.
    I honestly can’t get enough! It is so incredibly delicious so THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing the recipe. SO YUMMY!!! :)

• Sallyreplied on June 4th, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Glad you love it! Thanks Rachael. I just made one the other day, too.

Rosieposted June 12, 2014 at 8:09 am

I found this recipe this morning and didn’t even have the patience to wait to get frozen berries, so I just used a combination of fresh strawberries and some berry jam I had in the fridge, and it was lovely! Great recipe!

Amandaposted June 29, 2014 at 3:36 am

I’m trying to avoid dairy, so I substituted the yogurt with another banana, and added 2 extra chia spoons for the nutrients. God, this tastes so good!!! Thank you so much for the recipe :)!

Megposted July 17, 2014 at 10:53 am

This is almost as amazing as the orange smoothie! Plus with all the protein from the peanut butter and yogurt it really keeps you full. I also love that it uses frozen berries which are SO MUCH cheaper than the fresh ones. Yum!

Jill V.posted July 27, 2014 at 7:34 am

I can’t wait to try this smoothie. To make it migraine friendly, I will sub some oatmeal for the banana and use almond butter instead of peanut.

Bethposted August 13, 2014 at 1:34 pm

You just became my favorite blogger.

“any of the 10 jars of peanut butter I know you have in your pantry right now”

I’ve made a couple of your recipes before and enjoyed them all, but that statement made it official. My long lost soul sister!

• Sallyreplied on August 14th, 2014 at 3:17 pm

Hahahaha because we all have way more peanut butter than we care to admit in the pantry. Right?

Erinposted August 20, 2014 at 8:46 pm

this will be made many times to come!! I tried using PB2 instead of regular peanut butter and it turned out great! Also added ice!

danielleposted August 26, 2014 at 9:39 am

Yum – enjoying this one right now.

Hannahposted October 9, 2014 at 1:04 pm

I made this smoothie this morning, it was very yummy :) Replaced the greek yogurt with oatmeal and protein powder.

Cherylposted January 4, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I will be trying this in the morning with berry protein powder instead of the berries!

Michael Roachposted January 14, 2015 at 1:11 pm

I really liked this smoothie thank you for the recipe.

I added vanilla protein powder and ground flax seed

What blender do you recommend because my old blender is not cutting it.

Madisonposted February 4, 2015 at 2:05 pm

So this may be a silly question…would it be ok if you used a non frozen banana? I want to try it tonight and don’t want to wait for a banana to freeze haha

• Sallyreplied on February 4th, 2015 at 5:11 pm

It doesn’t have to be frozen. It won’t be as thick and creamy, but still tasty.

Kelleyposted May 22, 2015 at 1:40 am

So many awesome recipes on your site Sally, but wow this is delicious! Exactly what I needed post-run. I wasn’t sure about the pb&j in smoothie format but tried it for the protein and lucky me – the flavours are a match made in heaven in an almost surprising way. Thank you!

PS: Your salted caramel cupcakes are a huge hit around here too :)

Katlynposted August 3, 2015 at 11:28 am

Hi Sally- Is it ok to make big batches for the week and freeze?

Also wanted to mention that I started drinking your Glowing Skin Smoothie originally and my skin cleared up within 2 weeks after countless dermatologist visits, etc.  So THANK YOU!

• Sallyreplied on August 3rd, 2015 at 3:51 pm

I’m so happy that you love the glowing skin smoothie too! I rarely freeze pre-made smoothies. I’m not a fan of their texture after thawing– sort of slushie-ish if that makes sense. You can try it though.