Cinnamon-Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread.

Incredibly-moist quickbread with a iseep, dark cinnamon swirl inside. Oh, there’s chocolate chips too!

Super-moist, tender Cinnamon-Swirl Bread with Chocolate Chips by Simple ingredients, easy to make!

You see this bread here?

It was supposed to be heavily drizzled with a vanilla glaze, BUT… was too incredible as is! Drenching it in a glaze would take away from all of it’s cinnamon, brown-sugary, chocolate chippy flavor.

I found myself sneaking a small piece after breakfast, after my workout, and heck – I even replaced my nightly popcorn bowl in the name of swirled quickbread. If I hadn’t promised Kevin’s motorcycle friends (yes, I’ve been on it. yes, it’s frightening!) a few slices, then we’d probably polish off every last sugary crumb in only 2 days.

I’ll never tire of cinnamon swirl bread.  Growing up, my favorite school morning breakfast (umm besides strawberry toaster strudels) was cinnamon swirl bread, toasted and buttered. It sounds pretty boring, but if you’ve ever had a piece of buttered cinnamon-swirl bread, then you know what I’m talkin’ about!

I craved the same comforting flavors last week and before I knew it, this quick bread came to life. As I reached for a few pecans to toss into the batter, I accidentally grabbed the chocolate chips instead.  Oops?

Swirled with cinnamon sugar, topped with more, and dotted with teeny tiny chocolate chips. It’s almost like cake – soft, tender, and moist. I mean common, look at that deep, dark ripple of cinnamon!

Baking science alert!

Imparting moisture are a few of my very favorite baking ingredients: oil, buttermilk, and brown sugar.

(1) First, the oil. I use oil in my Super-Moist Carrot Cake recipe and knew it was exactly what this quickbread needed. Butter is a fat that gives unbeatable flavor in my recipes, but nothing beats the moisture that oil brings – especially to muffins, cakes, and quick breads. There is so much flavor from the cinnamon, brown sugar, and chocolate chips that the flavor of butter would disappear anyway.

(2) The buttermilk. Don’t try to substitute the buttermilk with anything! Buttermilk is what makes my Triple Chocolate Cake so darn moist. You absolutely need buttermilk for this quick bread recipe. The lactic acid present is what will allow the baking soda to produce the leavening gas (carbon dioxide).

Don’t have buttermilk?  Most folks don’t typically keep buttermilk in the house. Save yourself a trip to the store and make your own at home. Measure 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup. Then, add enough milk (1%, 2%, or whole) to the same measuring cup until it reaches 1 cup. Stir it around and let sit for 5 minutes. The homemade “buttermilk” will be somewhat curdled and ready to use in your recipe.

(3) Now the brown sugar. You’ll use both granulated sugar and brown sugar to sweeten the bread. Brown sugar is used (almost) exclusively to sweeten the batter, and white sugar is mixed with cinnamon for the swirl and topping. Brown sugar is one of my favorite ingredients – ever. I used light brown sugar in this bread, which is made with less molasses than dark brown sugar. You may use either dark or light in this recipe.

When you have those three imperative ingredients ready, all you have to do is mix your dry ingredients together. Then mix your wet ingredients together. Mix both seperately as much as you want! But when it’s time to combine the wet and the dry – be careful. Be very careful not to overmix. Overmixing your batter will develop the gluten and will result in a heavy, tough textured bread. That’s the last thing you want, trust me!  Just mix the wet and dry ingredients together until *just* combined.

You’ll add the batter to the loaf pan with a heavy layer of cinnamon-sugar. Cutting into the bread and finding that cinnamon-swirl tucked inside? Magic. If you couldn’t tell by now, I get really excited over cinnamon sugar swirls.

Before putting into the oven, sprinkle a little more cinnamon-sugar and chocolate chips on top. Ya know, for fun.

Cinnamon-Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread-2

Your kitchen is going to smell like a bakery. (You’re welcome.) There is just nothing like the warm, sweet scent of cinnamon bread baking in the oven. Especially on a chilly morning wearing fuzzy slippers and sippin’ chai tea.

There are two things that quick bread shouldn’t be: bland and dry. This bread is neither. If you can wait, this melt-in-your-mouth bread is even more flavorful and moist on day 2. It takes A LOT of willpower, so umm… you definitely don’t have to wait. But similar to how banana bread and carrot cake’s flavor intensifies overnight, this bread is just the same.

You could use this recipe to make muffins, too. I know you love cinnamon-sugar muffins as much as I do. Besides tasting better than a cinnamon bun – yeah, I just said that – it’s an incredibly easy recipe!

Cinnamon-Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread

Yield: 1 loaf

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes plus cooling

Moist and tender cinnamon-swirl quick bread sprinkled with chocolate chips.

• 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (accurately measured)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup (120g) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 large egg, at room temperature*
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar (or dark brown)
  • 1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
  • 1 cup (240ml) buttermilk (no substitutions)
  • 1/3 cup (80ml) vegetable oil (or canola; or melted coconut oil)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

• 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup (65g) granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with nonstick spray. I prefer a dark metal loaf pan, which seems to help brown quick breads more evenly.

Make the cinnamon-swirl first by combining the cinnamon and sugar together in a small bowl. Set aside.

Make the bread: In a large bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, salt, and chocolate chips together until combined. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the egg, brown sugar, and granulated sugar together until combined. Make sure there are no brown sugar lumps remaining. Whisk in the buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Slowly pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently whisk until there are no more lumps. Try very hard not to overmix, which will result in a tough textured bread.

Pour half of the batter into prepared loaf pan.  Top evenly with 3/4 of your cinnamon-sugar mixture. Pour the remaining batter on top and finish with the rest of the cinnamon-sugar. Sprinkle with a couple more mini chocolate chips if desired.

Bake the bread, covered loosely with aluminum foil, for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Poke the center of the bread with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, the bread is done.  Oven times will vary between ovens. My bread took 56 minutes exactly. Allow bread to cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting.

Bread stays fresh covered tightly at room temperature for up to 6 days. Bread's flavor and moisture are intensified on day 2. Bread freezes well, up to 2 months.

*Room temperature egg is highly suggested for this bread. To bring the egg to room temperature quickly, drop into a cup of warm water for 5 minutes.

After you make this bread, try these similar recipes next… 😉

Cinnamon-Swirl Banana Bread

Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread

Homemade Orange Sweet Rolls

Copycat Pillsbury Orange Sweet Rolls. Gooey, fluffy, and dipping with orange glaze-5

Super-Crumb Coffee Cake

Super Crumb Coffee Cake

Nutella-Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins

Nutella Stuffed Cinnamon Sugar Muffins by Sally's Baking Addiction

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze

Soft Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze

See more bread & muffin recipes.

227 Responses to “Cinnamon-Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread.”

Lelijaposted April 17, 2014 at 12:00 pm

I made this yesterday – it were divine!

My family kept on telling me to make it more often – we all loved the cinnamoney texture and the gooey chocolate chips.

Jodee Weilandposted April 20, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Cinnamon and chocolate…what a delicious combination for a sweet treat! Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Eposted May 2, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Hi Sally, I am wanting to make this for Mother’s Day gifts. I want to make them a week or so ahead, what is the best way to freeze them, so they keep for a week or so? Do I freeze once they are cool, or wait a day or so?

Thanks and I am looking forward to making this!

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:38 am

Hi Sarah! Sorry for the delay, I was away on vacation. You may bake the bread and freeze as a whole (thaw overnight int eh refrigerator) or freeze the slices individually and thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

Leeseposted May 15, 2014 at 2:05 am

I actually made this bread once before and it did not turn out moist so I was so bummed. Quick breads and I do not have a good relationship.

With that being said, I have finally discovered the ‘trick’ in mixing quick breads since I have been GENTLY mixing the wet and dry ingredients together and FINALLY getting my breads moist recently!!

Earlier this week I made a yummy moist banana bread with chocolate mini chips and so tonight I was feeling confident to try this recipe again.

It came out FABULOUS!!!! Moist and so delicious!! I omitted the chips since we had that in the banana bread and I wish I had pecans or walnuts on hand to add to your recipe instead. It still was a hit with my two kiddos and I was so thrilled with the results! I may have to run an extra mile tomorrow morning but it was well worth it. lol

Thanks again for a wonderful recipe and for all the hard work that you do!!

Hugs and Cheers to Baking!!

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2014 at 9:40 am

So glad this bread worked for you the second time around Leese! That’s great. Baking is so particular; I am always learning as well!

Jessica @ Sweet Menuposted June 19, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Made this last night Sally! Stumbled upon the recipe and just HAD to have it. I didn’t have plain flour at home but plenty of self raising, so I used that instead and omitted the baking powder and salt. It still came out a treat! So soft and cinnamon-y! My husband loved it.

Meghaposted June 24, 2014 at 2:16 am

Hey Sally

I made this super delicious choco chip bread, with a pinch of nutmeg powder.
    I have to tell you this, started following you on Pinterest and have been baking ever since. You are such an inspiration. Love your easy and quick recipes.
    You’ve made me a baking enthusiast.

Lots of luv
    Megha (India)

Trixie in CTposted June 29, 2014 at 10:22 am

Hi dear Sally!

I made this recipe as 12 regular-sized muffins yesterday (using your trick of baking at 425 for 5 minutes and then at 350 for another 12-13 minutes)… gave 1/2 to neighbor for her kiddies who are now requesting that I put chocolate chips in everything I make for them. I ate the other 1/2 batch like they were potato chips!!!!

This is a sneaky little recipe because it’s so simple and yet the results taste like it’s way more complex….honestly, I’ve tried and loved lots of your recipes but this one takes the cake (or muffin) for a truly tasty treat! I’m going to get a mini muffin tin and I bet these will be just like cakey cinnamon chocolate chip cookies! Oh yeah, I should also make it as a quick bread as it was originally intended….

Right now I have another batch cooling off – this time I added some dried cherries to the mix for a little of that “Cherry Garcia” flavor.

You are an inspiration! Have a great Sunday!

Your fan… Trixie

• Sallyreplied on June 29th, 2014 at 11:51 am

I love this recipe! Makes one heck of a bread, but I’ve tried it as muffins before too – so, so good. So happy you and the neighbors enjoy them Trixie! Your cherry garcia version sounds incredible. I have to try it! Thanks so much for reporting back :)

Trixie in CTposted June 29, 2014 at 1:02 pm

Thanks Sally!

Forgot to mention that I sprinkled some of your Vanilla Almond Granola on top of the muffins, just because…. that’s another GREAT recipe!

Can’t wait to try Mr. Sally’s Award Winning Zucchini Bread – was just talking about it the other day…

• Sallyreplied on June 30th, 2014 at 12:53 pm

That combo sounds delicious Trixie!

carolyn csongradiposted July 7, 2014 at 10:29 am

An amazing bread!!
    Interestingly, I forgot the oil and the bread came out fantastic – how did that happen? No oil, yet it is wonderful. So I made up for it by adding some butter on top of the slice…. yummy.

• Sallyreplied on July 7th, 2014 at 3:07 pm

That is very strange! I would think the bread wouldn’t be as moist without the oil. Happy you liked it!

Hayleyposted August 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm

I was out of chocolate chips so I instead used nuts like you were originally going to and they came out great! The nut version is great and tastes really well in parallel to all the cinnamon! :)

Aida Stevensonposted August 11, 2014 at 3:36 pm

I made this today for my birthday tomorrow and it was the most amazing thing I have had in my entire making bread life! I love the little bit of tanginess (did I spell that correctly?) that the buttermilk offers to the bread. Thank you so much for sharing all your wonderful recipes!

Ruhina Hashmiposted October 19, 2014 at 6:40 am

Hi there.. chanced upon this .. and I can only sing praises.. me n the rest of the gang. Wonderful recipe. Gave a bite to my 18 month old.. having a hard time hiding the box from her now :) Thanks a ton for this recipe. Its definitely a keeper.

Katyposted October 19, 2014 at 10:02 am

Hi Sally, I’m making the loaf bread. My mum thinks I should use strong white flour because the dough has to rise but on your recipe it says all purpose. She thinks it is because you’re an American site? Is this true? I live in England and I’m really stuck so please help? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on October 19th, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I’m unsure – I have only used all-purpose.

Claudiaposted October 29, 2014 at 9:58 pm

This bread was amazing as always.
    I was pleasantly surprised by how much it rose!
    Ahhhh I’m SO hooked on your site– great for my boyfriend…. Horrible for my jeans..

Fayeposted November 2, 2014 at 1:28 am

Sally, I need your help please! I had tasted this wonderful date loaf at someone’s house. It was a plain soft loaf with chopped dates and walnuts in it. It was wonderful! Texture was not quite dense like banana loaf. The ‘bread’ itself was very soft and pillowy. Do you suppose I could use this recipe and add the dates/walnuts, minus the cinnamon swirl? What is the texture of this bread? Thanks in advance!

• Sallyreplied on November 3rd, 2014 at 11:19 am

I’m sure you could try that with this bread recipe, Faye. It’s quite soft- I love its texture!

Christineposted November 2, 2014 at 9:43 am

When the cinnamon sugar is added between the 2 layers of batter, do you swirl it with a knife or just leave it as a solid layer?

• Sallyreplied on November 2nd, 2014 at 7:05 pm

no swirl – just layer

Lexyposted November 20, 2014 at 10:17 am

Why in one banana bread recipe you use butter and the other oil and which is preferable? I only have regular sized chocolate chips, so I will use those. However, I will be baking this for a friend soon. He requested chocolate chip banana bread and I have a recipe I usually use, but I wanted to try something different. Cinnamon swirl might just do the trick.

JUDITH SMITHposted November 24, 2014 at 3:08 pm

I absolutely LOVE this. My favorite flavor combination – I doubled the recipe. Also used regular size chips as that was all I had on hand – still absolutely wonderful. A few craters here and there due to the size of the chips – but the taste – exceptional! Thank you!

Jillian K. Suttonposted December 4, 2014 at 2:30 pm

Hi sally. I’m 18 and I made this bread yesterday and today it was devoured!! It taste absolutely amazing!(: fell in love with this bread and gonna have to use a little less of the cinnamon-sugar on top lol but other than that it was absolutely amazing! Definatley gonna have to try another recipe!(:

Cherylposted December 10, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Hi Sally, could I use normal size choc chips with this recipe? And if I were making mini loaves, how long should I bake them for and is there anything else I need to change?

Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on December 10th, 2014 at 7:39 pm

Yep regular chocolate chips are fine. I am unsure of the bake time for smaller loaf pans.

Kaitlinposted December 16, 2014 at 9:54 am

Can I make this bread tonight for a work party on Thursday morning? Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on December 16th, 2014 at 3:37 pm

Yep! It will still be moist and soft on day 3. Cover tightly or keep in a tupperware.

Abbieposted December 23, 2014 at 9:32 am

SO. DELICIOUS. I made this recipe in muffin form this morning, and it’s delightful. Those chocolate chips were the best “mistake” ever made! I have a question about bringing milk to room temperature. I made these at 7:00 a.m. and didn’t want to wait for the milk to warm, so I put it in the microwave at 10 second intervals. Do you have another “trick” to do this? Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

• Sallyreplied on December 23rd, 2014 at 10:15 am

That’s the best trick, actually. But leaving it at room temperature for about 30 minutes is ideal.

Heikeposted January 4, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Hi Sally! I truly love your recipes! They are so easy to follow and always make me look so good 😉 I hear you on the buttermilk! Since I love to use it but usually don’t keep milk or buttermilk on hand, I’m wondering what you think of powdered buttermilk – I always have that in the fridge! It has the acid in it and in the past has worked great for breads and pancakes and the like. Am I getting into substitution territory or do you think it will work out? Thank you so much for another great one!

• Sallyreplied on January 4th, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I’ve had readers use it here and it works wonderfully for them! I have never personally tried it before though. Let me know how it goes.

Susanposted January 12, 2015 at 1:00 pm

LOVED LOVED LOVED this. You want to hear something stupid though, I decided to make two of your “bread” recipes at the same time. What a way to almost mess up both recipes. Plus I have a teeny kitchen. So you can just imagine. Anyway, I used dark brown sugar, instead of the light… I think it made the finished product a little darker than your pictures. Is that possible.

Also I had a lot of extra cinnamon sugar. I guess I didn’t have to use it all ?

• Sallyreplied on January 13th, 2015 at 8:07 am

Yes, it is possible the dark brown sugar will make the loaf a little darker. I instruct to use all of the cinnamon sugar mixture both layered in and sprinkled on top. It’s ok you didn’t use it all though– as long ad you love the taste!

Dianeposted January 14, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Hey Sally!
    I love your recipes and I’m planning on making this one today. One thing that I do not have is buttermilk. I usually use a substitute and it works fine, but I got a little nervous when you wrote “no substitutions”. Any thoughts?

• Sallyreplied on January 15th, 2015 at 9:53 am

Hey Diane! Buttermilk is so important. However, you can try a DIY buttermilk substitute: Measure 1 Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a measuring cup. Then, add enough milk (1%, 2%, or whole) to the same measuring cup until it reaches 1 cup. Stir it around and let sit for 5 minutes. The homemade “buttermilk” will be somewhat curdled and ready to use in your recipe.

neetaposted January 27, 2015 at 12:31 am

Sally, I tried the Cinnamon Swirl Chocolate Chip Bread. Tastewise it turned out awesome. But it was very crumbly on the top. While slicing it was breaking up at least an inch down . After that it sliced well. Hence it was not very appealing to the eyes while serving. any idea what wet wrong?

• Sallyreplied on January 28th, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Neeta, do you think you overbaked the bread at all? A crumbly top could mean that the top was overheated. Perhaps try to slightly reduce the oven temperature as well. This should help.

Najia Barteeposted February 19, 2015 at 8:23 am

Would everything be the same..(ex. Time in the oven) if I wanted to make mini loafs?

• Sallyreplied on February 19th, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Yep, no need to change the recipe itself.

Silviaposted March 4, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Dear Sally, I tried making this bread this morning but ended up with burnt top and bottom but the bread is SO moist. I’m still figuring out what went wrong with the burnt sides. FYI, I’m using electric oven of which you can choose to use top or bottom or both flames and I used both flames for this bread. Should I have used just the top one instead? I used the aluminum foil at first but more than halfway when I checked the bread, the melted sugar on top kind of sticking to the foil so I removed it. Appreciate your feedback ‘coz I loveeee your recipes. Thanks

• Sallyreplied on March 5th, 2015 at 6:38 am

Silvia, it sounds like the oven was just too hot. I recommend just the top flame. Can you adjust the oven rack to the bottom level by chance? This should help tremendously.

• Silviareplied on March 5th, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Dear Sally, thanks so much for the quick reply. Will do as you’ve advised in my next baking. Can’t wait!

Kendraposted March 13, 2015 at 1:05 am

I always come here when I want to try a new recipe, and after finding this cinnamon bread recipe last night, I had to make it today. I loved how easy this is to make, and it’s delicious. I’d definitely make it again. Although my bread took much longer to bake. After about 55 minutes, it was practically raw in the middle. I’m not sure why that is, but all in all this is a really delicious and easy quick bread. :)

Victoria zaluckiposted March 17, 2015 at 5:31 pm

I have a jumbo muffin pan that I want to use to make this as muffins. What would a good bake time to start with be? I have three kiddos so I’m bad about forgetting my baked items. I would make it as bread, and I’m sure I will for a weekend, but my oldest son who’s 6 wants muffins before breakfast.

• Sallyreplied on March 18th, 2015 at 12:25 pm

Start with maybe around 20 minutes.

Valerieposted March 23, 2015 at 1:07 pm

My friend and I both made the bread and in both our cases the middle dropped? I would like to make this again but not sure what we’re doing wrong?

Reynaposted April 2, 2015 at 8:58 am

I made this recipe lastnight, I did make a couple changes and it was delicious! Instead of buttermilk I used almond milk because I’m nursing and my baby has a dairy allergy, I also added 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder to the cinnamon swirl mix! The bread was so moist and great with coffee!

Shaniaposted April 4, 2015 at 12:36 pm

I just wanna ask, based from what I googled, 1 cup equals 250g. In this recipe, it stated that 2 cups equal 250g. So, which is true? I’m so confused because I don’t use measuring cups as they aren’t available here. Thanks Sally :)

• Sallyreplied on April 4th, 2015 at 4:56 pm

1 cup of flour is 125g, so 2 = approximately 250. The cup – gram measurement depends on what you are weighing.

Maryposted April 5, 2015 at 2:48 am

Sally, if I don’t have any oil on hand, will it just fine to replace it with melted butter? If yes, then how much melted butter that needed in here? Thanks.

shannonposted May 8, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Hi Sally, Thank you for the great recipe! Just to clarify: Should the brown sugar in this recipe be packed? I read your measuring guidelines and thought packed was the default, however, I noticed that you actually specified packed in another recipe.

• Sallyreplied on May 8th, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Shannon– yes, packed! Must have forgotten that word here. Enjoy!

Natashaposted June 17, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Hi Sally

Can I double up on the cinnamon swirl and/or the chocolate chips?

• Sallyreplied on June 17th, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Iskandarposted August 16, 2015 at 3:42 am

Hello! Tried the recipe and it was good. Very moist and flavourful. However, I did not get a clean cut like yours. Mine was a little crumbly. It was still good though. I’m gonna make these again but in muffin form too!

Annetteposted November 15, 2015 at 9:20 am

Hi, I goofed and only put in 1/2 cup of buttermilk but my husband and grandson loved it. My little guy said it tasted just like chocolate chip cookies.
    I am looking for Christmas loaves to give and this Thanks will be perfect but next time I will add the correct amount of milk. Thanks for the reicipe..

Sarahposted November 25, 2015 at 1:21 pm

What would you suggest to be the cooking times if  I wanted to make this into mini loaves? Also, wanting to make them as Christmas presents, so bake ahead of time and freeze? Thanks