Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes.

These fresh strawberry cupcakes are made purely from scratch with real strawberries. Fluffy, moist, and exploding with strawberry flavor! Top them with homemade strawberry whipped cream.

Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes made from scratch. Fluffy, sweet, and exploding with strawberry flavor! Recipe at

Today we’re celebrating our 1 year engagement anniversary. It’s nothing huge to celebrate but it’s undoubtedly a special day for us. Exactly one year ago today, this was happening.

We were in Deep Creek Lake, MD – visiting the snowy Swallow Falls – and he got down on one knee. I had no make-up on, wearing my glasses, shivering, and wearing snow pants. Totally unromantic, yet the best day of my life so far. In less than 8 months, I’ll be marrying my peanut butter-loving, handyman, huge-hearted soulmate. I’m a little sappy today, forgive me.

Let’s take a break from all this whole wheat business and concentrate on something a little sweeter. Lip-smackin, sunshine sweet strawberry cupcakes made 100% from scratch. With real strawberries. And real whipped cream.

I’m going to be honest with you… For the past year, I’ve been trying to make a strawberry cupcake from scratch. I even had it originally listed on my Table of Contents for my cookbook. I switched it out with another cupcake at the last minute because I truthfully could not bake a perfectly sweet, fruity, and non-artificial tasting homemade strawberry cupcake. Disaster after disaster after disaster. I felt completely defeated.

But you know what? I couldn’t get this strawberry cupcake ordeal out of my mind. I mulled over ways to perfect this recipe and gave it one more shot this weekend. Call me determined, call me cupcake-crazy, call me whatever. But… I finally conquered it. This fresh strawberry cupcake recipe has been hiding under my nose the whole time.

After trying about 196 ways to bake a strawberry cupcake, I turned to my tried-and-true vanilla cupcake recipe. The same cupcake recipe I use as a base for these, these, this, these, these, and these. If it ain’t broke – don’t fix it. If you have a solid vanilla cupcake recipe in your repertoire, your options are endless.

To make the strawberry version, I simply added fresh strawberry puree, strawberry yogurt, a little more flour to make up for the added liquid, strawberry whipped cream, and here it is. Fresh strawberry cupcakes in all their beauty. No doubt about it, you’re going to love these cupcakes.

You’re going to start with fresh strawberries. About 4-5 large strawberries and process them into a chunky puree. You’ll have about 1/3 cup puree. Add this with the rest of the ingredients, mixed by hand. No mixer is required to make the cupcake batter.

At this point, you could fill the cupcakes with a homemade strawberry filling like I did with my Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes. I didn’t take the extra step and fill today’s cupcakes, but let me know if you try it. The cupcakes were plenty “strawberry-y” without filling. Is that a word? It is today.

These fluffy, fruity Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes are made completely from scratch. And yet are so simple!

The homemade strawberry whipped cream comes next. Light and creamy on top of the fruity cupcakes – perfection. Have you ever made homemade whipped cream before? It’s so simple. Take some heavy cream and… whip it. Whip it up with some sugar and 100% fruit strawberry jam. It will take about 4 minutes of high-speed whipping until the whipped cream forms stiff peaks.

Instead of jam, you could make the whipped cream with 1/3 cup of  this homemade strawberry filling.

Frost the cupcakes however you’d like. Nothing fancy, no piping tips – just pile it on top. Finish with fresh strawberry slices. The sprinkles are optional, but what else do you expect from me?

I am beyond excited to conquer the strawberry cupcake! And trust me on this, fresh strawberry cupcakes taste incredibly better than artificial strawberry cupcakes from a box. And hey, guess what? If you want the strawberry cupcakes to be bright pink, just add a few drops of red food coloring until the batter reaches your pink shade of choice.

Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes

Yield: 12 cupcakes

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling

• 4-5 large strawberries
  • 1 and 2/3 cup + 1 Tablespoon (218g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup (62g) strawberry yogurt (Greek or regular yogurt)
  • 3/4 cup (180ml) milk1
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Strawberry Whipped Cream

• 1 and 1/2 cups (360ml) heavy whipping cream
  • 3 Tablespoons (43g) granulated sugar
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup (110g) strawberry jam2

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
  2. Make the cupcakes: Slice strawberries and place in a food processor or blender. Pulse until strawberries are a chunky puree. You should have about 1/3 cup. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt butter in the microwave. Stir in sugar - mixture will be gritty. Stir in egg, yogurt, milk, and vanilla extract until combined.
  3. Slowly mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until no lumps remain. Fold in the strawberry puree. Batter will be thick.
  4. Divide batter among 12 cupcake liners and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
  5. Make the strawberry whipped cream: In a large bowl, whip the cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until stiff peaks begin to form, about 4-5 full minutes.  Add the strawberry jam and continue to beat for another 30 seconds. Add more strawberry jam if you'd like a stronger flavor or if you'd like a pinker color. Please note the whipped cream will be thinner the more jam you add.
  6. Frost the cupcakes with the strawberry whipped cream. Cover and store cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Whipped cream may be made 1 day in advance and stored in the refrigerator. Serve cupcakes chilled.
  7. Make ahead tip: Prepare cupcakes and whipped cream 1 day in advance. Keep cupcakes covered tightly at room temperature and the frosting covered tightly in the refrigerator. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.

1. Recipe tested with unsweetened almond milk and skim milk. Use any milk, dairy or non, that you prefer.

Feel free to fill the cupcakes with this strawberry filling and/or use 1/3 cup of that homemade strawberry filling instead of the jam in the whipped cream. The jam I used was 100% natural strawberry preserves from the farmer's market, though any strawberry jam would be fine.

Like I said above, if you have a perfected basic vanilla cake/cupcake recipe – the options are endless! Here are a few more recipes I’ve created using my base recipe:

Cookies ‘n Cream Cupcakes

Cookies n Cream Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Frosting

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes with Cinnamon Swirl Frosting

Homemade Funfetti Cake

Easy Homemade Funfetti Cake. Get the recipe at

Brown Sugar Butterscotch Cupcakes

Brown Sugar Butterscotch Cupcakes

See more cupcake recipes.

277 Responses to “Fresh Strawberry Cupcakes.”

Samposted May 25, 2015 at 5:56 am

Hi Sally – I was just wondering if you could replace strawberry yogurt with regular yogurt. After all that’s the only kind of yogurt available in my place. And I can’t wait to make your strawberry cupcakes someday…. Yuuuuummmmyyy!

Heatherposted June 8, 2015 at 1:48 am

This is my go-to strawberry cupcake recipe.  I love it!  I had everything I needed to make them again tonight–or so I thought.  I had only brown sugar and no white.  But I wanted the cupcakes.  So I made them with brown sugar (just maybe 3/4 cup because brown sugar has a bunch of moisture).  But before I mixed the wet ingredients into the dry, I realized that because of the brown sugar these poor cupcakes were going to end up a very sick color that nobody would want to eat.  Ewwww, no!  Then I thought, why not take advantage of the brown color and turn these into chocolate strawberry cupcakes?!?!  I dumped some chocolate powder into the dry ingredients and also a quite generous amount of dark chocolate chips and finished the recipe as normal.  And oh my goodness!  They were good!  Really good.  Like so good I’m gonna try this with fresh raspberries.  Don’t you love it when an experiment turns out well?!

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2015 at 9:39 am

YES I love it when an experiment turns out incredibly delicious. :)

Cindyposted June 12, 2015 at 3:24 am

Hi sally,
    I hAve made this recipe several times and it has been a success every time.. it is fresh and delicious.  I was wondering can this be made into a cake as well??

• Sallyreplied on June 12th, 2015 at 9:30 am

You could: (1) Bake this recipe into a single layer cake for around 30 mins at 350. OR (2) Double the recipe and bake in two separate 9-inch cake pans. Fill the pans only 1/2 way full and use any extra batter to make cupcakes. Double the frosting recipe as well.

Dharmaposted June 16, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Hey, Sally, so I just made a batch of these cupcakes and they didn’t turn out at all as expected. When I inserted the toothpick after 20 minutes, the cake was still moist so I put it in for an extra 5 minutes. They were still moist, so I did this twice more before taking them out completely because I didn’t want them to over bake. I waited about a half hour, then decided to try one. When I took a bite, the entire center was still raw! I don’t think I did anything wrong. I followed all the directions precisely. My only change was that I doubled the recipe, but I don’t think that was it– I was extremely careful to measure everything properly. Any idea what went wrong?

• Sallyreplied on June 16th, 2015 at 7:53 pm

That’s really odd. I can’t imagine how the cupcakes just wouldn’t cook at all in the centers. Are you sure you doubled the flour precisely? Was the batter thick? (It’s supposed to be.) I would try making two separate batches.

Tammyposted June 19, 2015 at 2:35 am

Do you have to worry about overmixing if using cake flour?

• Sallyreplied on June 19th, 2015 at 10:20 am

Yes– always be careful mixing.

Adrienneposted June 20, 2015 at 2:26 pm

my daughter and I made this recipe for Fathers Day and the cupcakes were delicious!
    I used almond milk, Splenda, and organic eggs in the batter. For the whipped cream I used coconut milk, Splenda and fresh strawberries! Thanks for the recipe!

Saraposted July 3, 2015 at 12:43 am

Seriously, these are incredible. Really, really incredible.

Hayleyposted July 3, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Hi Sally – do you think these cupcakes would do well as mini cupcakes?

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Absolutely! About 10-12 minutes bake time.

Melissaposted July 4, 2015 at 10:44 am

I made these for a giant backyard party we were having this summer. So fantastic. Everyone adored them. Nice and light with the whipped topping on them and just utterly delicious. We’re not a family that’s huge into sweets, so I actually wound up toning the sugar content down a little bit, but they were so fantastic! Thanks so much for the great recipe!

• Debbreplied on September 19th, 2015 at 1:44 am

We also like less sweet. How much sugar did you end up using instead?

Hafyposted July 13, 2015 at 6:42 am

Hello sally…….thanks for all the great recipes!!!!!
    Wanted to make this for my toddler..could I possibly reduce the amount of sugar??? Thanks a lot

Karaposted September 12, 2015 at 1:58 am

These were delicious! I made your funfetti cupcakes for my son’s third birthday a few weeks ago and they were delicious, so I decided to try these for my daughter’s first birthday, and they are awesome! I processed my strawberries almost into a puree because I wanted real strawberry flavor but not chunks of strawberries. I doubled the recipe and frosted them with a strawberry cream cheese frosting recipe I got from another site. They are great!! This is the first time I have had strawberry cupcakes other than a boxed mix, and I am very happy with how they turned out! Thanks again for a great cupcake recipe!

• Sallyreplied on September 12th, 2015 at 9:12 am

Thanks so much for reporting back, Kara!

Sherryposted September 25, 2015 at 6:58 pm

These Strawberry Cupcakes are a delight.  I have not made many cupcakes, but I did it, and I’m proud and thank you for the recipe.  I like the way you pureed the strawberries and included it in the batter.  Also, I have found my love of using whipped cream as a fluffy flavorful topping!  I will use your vanilla cupcake recipe next with real vanilla bean!

Sherryposted October 9, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Also, I tried the “Cookies ‘n’ Cream” cupcake recipe this morning.  Once again my cupcakes are delicious & very moist and a keeper for future cupcakes & other bigger cakes!  I still intend on making your vanilla cupcake recipe also.  “Thank You!”

Leenposted November 3, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Hi i was wondering if instead if putting in puréed strawberries you could put mini chunks of strawberries instead

• Sallyreplied on November 3rd, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I can’t see why not!

Pretty Jennyposted November 7, 2015 at 1:30 pm

These cupcakes were so amazing!!!! I followed the recipe as written and added only one tablespoon of sour cream that I folded in at the end,  just to boost the moisture…..WOW! I made buttercream icing from scratch and topped it with a big fresh strawberry because I didn’t have any strawberry jam for the whipped topping..the buttercream icing worked perfectly! Thanks so much for this recipe!

Deeptiposted November 20, 2015 at 5:35 am

Hi Sally. Can i use regular yogurt instead of strawberry yogurt ?

• Sallyreplied on November 20th, 2015 at 9:35 am