Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies.

Ultra fudgy homemade brownies swirled with creamy raspberry cheesecake and dotted with fresh raspberries. So good, they're hard to share!

I’m going to begin today’s post a little differently than normal. You see, I’m simply luring you in with this ultra-fudgy raspberry cheesecake brownie recipe…

I want to pause for a hot second and show some gratitude.

Be Grateful

Thank you.

To every single one of you who takes the time to read my blog. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for letting me be a small part of your day. I love reading your comments, your emails, your tweets, your messages… everything. I love getting to know you better and finding things we all have in common. Like our taste in awesome running music, hilarious movies, nail polish colors, and wine. It’s not just about cookies and cupcakes; personally connecting with you about real life things is icing on top of the funfetti cake.

Your thoughts and prayers the day our apartment flooded meant the world to me. Though I couldn’t respond to all of your comments, please know that I read every single one as we picked up the pieces and settled into a new home.

Perhaps it’s the upcoming sappy holiday or the fact that I’ve eaten too much sugar lately in the form of awkward conversation hearts. But, I really just want you all to know how thankful I am to call what I love my job. And I couldn’t make it happen without you.

Please accept these show-stopping brownies as a thank you. Your pants may get tighter, but your tastebuds will be grateful.

Ok, now for the reason you’re really here. Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies. In all their swirly, twirly pink beauty. They’re devilishly rich, undeniably dense, sorta fancy, and require a tall glass of milk to wash down all their decadence. Sweet, tangy raspberry cheesecake tempering the deep richness of a chocolate brownie. If you love raspberries and chocolate as much as I do, this diet-busting recipe is for you.

I used one of my go-to brownie recipes as the base. Though I have two different homemade brownie recipes that I love, I find that one particular recipe is best for cheesecake swirling. When I first tested my Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Brownies last year, I used this brownie base. It did not work. It’s a solid homemade brownie recipe I make quite often, but its batter is much too thick for swirling.

Problem solved. I have found that this homemade brownie recipe, which uses pure chocolate, works like a charm. Still ultra chocolate-y and dense like the other recipe, but the brownie batter is easier to work with when you’re swirling. Make sure you use quality chocolate in this recipe (I prefer Baker’s or Ghirardelli brands). You can absolutely taste the difference.

Now, there are two main styles of brownies: cakey and fudgy. Today’s cheesecake brownies fit the description of fudgy the best. Want to know a little brownie secret of mine? There are more wet ingredients than dry ingredients in this recipe. Less flour, more eggs, more butter. This is what makes them so fudgy! Ditch the box mix brownies now. This homemade version has none of the preservatives and so much more flavor.

Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies. Ultra fudgy homemade brownies swirled with creamy raspberry cheesecake. Recipe at sallysbakingaddiction.com

The first step is to make your brownie batter. Don’t worry, it’s quite simple. After the batter is made, make your cheesecake batter. The cheesecake batter gets its raspberry flavor from jam. You could simply use 1/4 cup of pure raspberry puree if you prefer, but I find jam easier. Once your light pink cheesecake batter is thoroughly beaten and free of lumps, simply swirl it into the brownie batter. Easier said than done!

Here’s how I swirl: first, reserve about 1/4 cup of brownie batter and pour the rest into the baking pan. Then, simply drop spoonfuls of the cheesecake batter on top of the brownie batter. Drizzle it all with the remaining brownie batter, take a sharp knife, and swirl.

The fresh raspberries on top are optional, but I used them to cover up any ugly swirls that didn’t quite look good. Raspberries: both delicious and functional. I would’ve snapped a pic for you, but I made these brownies at midnight. Don’t tell me you’ve never made a chocolate dessert at midnight before! I have yet to outgrow my college midnight munchies.

The brownies take about 35 minutes in the oven, give or take. All ovens are different, so don’t be nervous if yours aren’t done at 35 minutes. They’ll be ready when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. I would check them at the 30 minute mark and test for doneness with the toothpick.

I’m not going to lie to you. Waiting for the brownies to cool before cutting is pure torture! I have the patience of a 2 year old in a candy store, so I let the brownies cool for about 30 minutes on the counter then stuck in the refrigerator to speed up the process.

Creamy raspberry cheesecake colliding worlds with brownies that are so incredibly dense, they taste like fudge. Go ahead, take a bite. You certainly deserve them!

Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies

Yield: 20 brownies

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes, plus cooling

Ultra fudgy homemade brownies swirled with creamy raspberry cheesecake and dotted with fresh raspberries. You won't be able to resist them!

Fudge Brownies

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter
  • 8 ounces coarsely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
  • 1 and 1/4 cups (250g) granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Raspberry Cheesecake Layer

• 8 ounces (224g) cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1/4 cup (80g) raspberry preserves/jam1
  • raspberries for topping

1. Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line the bottom and sides of an 11 x 7 inch baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving an overhang on all sides. Set aside. Set out 8 ounces of cream cheese for the cheesecake layer and allow to soften as you prepare the brownies.
  2. Make the brownies first: Melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature (about 15 minutes). You may also stick the chocolate/butter mixture into the refrigerator to cool to room temperature quicker.
  3. Stir sugar into cooled chocolate/butter mixture until combined. Add in the eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla. Gently fold in the flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan, reserving 1/4 cup of batter.
  4. Make the cheesecake swirl: With a hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat the softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolk, and raspberry preserves in a medium bowl until completely smooth - about 1 minute. If you'd like a pinker cheesecake layer, add 2-3 drops of red food coloring. Dollop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture on top of the prepared brownie batter. Drizzle with the last 1/4 cup of brownie batter. Glide a knife through the layers, creating a swirl pattern. Press a few raspberries into the top.
  5. Bake brownies for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out almost clean - which may be shorter or longer. Just keep your eye on them and test with a toothpick. Mine took exactly 35 minutes. Cover the brownies after 20 minutes to avoid the top from browning too much and too quickly. Allow brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares, at least 4 hours. I set mine on the counter for 30 minutes, then in the refrigerator for 2 hours which sped up the process.
  6. Make ahead tip: Brownies stay fresh stored in the refrigerator for 1 week - and may be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

1. Use your favorite raspberry jam, seedless or not. Instead of jam, you may use 1/4 cup of raspberry puree.

You can use your favorite box brownie mix instead, but their flavor does not compare to homemade. Give homemade a try, you'll be glad you did!

Today’s recipe was inspired by my Mint Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies.

Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Brownies

And my Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies.

Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies

Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies by sallysbakingaddiction.com

144 Responses to “Raspberry Cheesecake Brownies.”

Rebeccaposted January 30, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Oh, these look so good! And I thought they’d take a ton of ingredients but was so happy to see they don’t. I actually love that about all your recipes…I usually have most of the ingredients but one or two on-hand and it’s never anything I have to search like crazy for. As a city gal with not many traditional grocery stores near me, I appreciate that!!

I also want to say thank YOU for this blog and for being so sweet and helpful all the time. Since I started coming here last summer my love of baking has increased and there’s usually at least 3 of your recipes in my brain that I can’t stop thinking about making. Is it weird that I feel like your fangirl?! haha because I do!!

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:58 pm

Not weird in the slightest. And you’re not a fangirl; you’re a friend. :) I have no time (and umm…patience) for recipes with 25 ingredients. Happy you enjoy my recipes, Rebecca! I used to live in the city. I miss it!

Henriette Wolfposted January 30, 2014 at 1:01 pm

Sally thanks to your link to the American food days I actually discovered the 10th February (my birthday) is cream cheese brownie day… How fortunate is that? :) Amazing how perfect the timing of your post is! These look unbelievable, I will HAVE to make these for my birthday 😀 (I don’t like raspberry and chocolate though… Could I cheekily replace the jam for nutella? 😉 It should work right?) anyway THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH words can’t express how amazing you are!
    Have a great day
    H.Wolf :) :)

• Sallyreplied on January 30th, 2014 at 3:57 pm

I believe nutella would make a great sub for the jam, Henriette! And happy early birthday. Enjoy!

Becca @ Crumbsposted January 30, 2014 at 3:23 pm

SO gorgeous! Bonne mamman is my favourite type of jam, nothing else compares!

Laura (Tutti Dolci)posted January 31, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I love a good cheesecake brownie, these are so pretty!

Raquelposted January 31, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Totally making these…. but in strawberry form. Raspberry would mean a trip to the store & clearly, I’m not patient enough for that right now. Yum!

• Sallyreplied on January 31st, 2014 at 3:45 pm

Enjoy with strawberry, Raquel!

Nutmeg Nannyposted February 4, 2014 at 3:32 pm

Drooling over these brownies! Oh goodness, they look divine :)

Ashleigh-Stormposted February 6, 2014 at 12:59 pm

Was wondering if i could freeze these brownies?

• Sallyreplied on February 6th, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I never recommend freezing any desserts with cream cheese – the texture is always off when thawed afterwards.

Maryposted February 9, 2014 at 9:14 pm

Sally help!!! I made these tonight, and even after 45 minutes in the oven, the center is not cooked. Oh my… the flavor. amazing!! I’m so disappointed that it didn’t fully bake.

Any suggestions on how to save it? Can it go back in the oven? Microwave? Cake balls? Anything???

On a positive note, I preordered your cookbook today!! Can’t wait till March 1!!

• Sallyreplied on February 13th, 2014 at 9:18 am

Hey Mary! Somehow, I missed this comment the other day. I’m so sorry the brownies didn’t cook through. You’ll definitely want to bake them until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, as suggested. That may be 35 minutes in one oven or 45 minutes in another oven. Hope you try them again!

Sophieposted February 13, 2014 at 1:09 pm

Sally, look where I found you! :)

• Sallyreplied on February 13th, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Yes, I saw that!! So awesome.

Lindseyposted February 14, 2014 at 10:45 pm

Does “Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position” mean the third from the top or third from the bottom? I used third from the bottom and I think that was wrong – they came out overbaked on the bottom and underbaked on the top, so the overall texture wasn’t the best. They tasted good, though. :)

• Sallyreplied on February 15th, 2014 at 9:20 am

third from the top! Sorry that’s unclear. You definitely don’t want your pan of brownies at the top of the oven. Happy you enjoyed their taste, though!

carleneposted February 17, 2014 at 1:56 am

Oh my word Sally!,here comes a couple more pounds! These brownies,perfection. I will have to try these. i”m new to your blog. I also love to bake and try new recipes . I”m going have to try some of your recipes. I like the looks of them.I can tell you love to bake,everything looks like you put so much love into them. I got my love of baking from my mom , Her name is Sally also. Thanks so much for sharing your good looking recipes,quotes and how to”s. We all appreciate.

• Sallyreplied on February 17th, 2014 at 6:55 am

Love that your mom’s name is Sally too. There aren’t many of us! Yes, I do love to bake. So much! Let me know any recipes you try.

Charlotteposted February 24, 2014 at 2:16 pm

I was given a list of brownies to select one to make and I saw your recipe and had to pick it after the success of making your moist carrot cake. The brownies tastes amazing except I didn’t use the right tin size and there was too much batter for it to work. I eventually scooped some out into a different cooking container and they both worked perfectly. Delicious and moist again! I’m going to make brownies again just need to go through your site and pick which ones :)

• Sallyreplied on February 24th, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Thanks Charlotte! I’m happy you loved them. Let me know which brownies you try next!

Marianneposted March 14, 2014 at 8:36 am

Hey Sally

Just made these as a special treat for myself. I’ve had my eye on them for quite some time now but it’s just now I actually found time to make them.

They are DELISH! Amazing raspberry and chocolate flavor. I adore raspberries so this certainly didn’t let me down.

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe!

Greetings from windy Denmark

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2014 at 10:05 am

Hi Marianne! So glad you enjoyed these brownies. Love raspberries and chocolate paired together. Thanks for reporting back!

Gabrielaposted March 18, 2014 at 6:27 am

Hello sally

your webpage is absolutely amazing. love it! and this recipe looks just … incredibly beautiful yummy….heavenly. :)
    one question though, what size baking tray did you use?
    so that i can adjust the ingredients if mine is smaller/bigger

thank you!!!

• Sallyreplied on March 18th, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Hi Gabriela – I used an 11×7 baking pan as noted in the recipe. You may use a 9×9, but the brownies will take a little longer in the oven.

• Gabrielareplied on March 18th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

It must have been the drool that dripped down on the monitor that i did not see it :-) thanks you sally. I am making these fir my husbands b-day to take to work. Wish me luck :-)

Jenniferposted April 20, 2014 at 1:12 am

these are THE best brownies. I have made them twice in 2 weeks, once for my family and then again for guests. I think you said in the recipe that they will last up to a week in the fridge – you were wrong, they didn’t last more than a day :) but everyone was very happy.
    Thanks for sharing this, you have made the world a better place

• Sallyreplied on April 20th, 2014 at 8:03 am

Very happy you made and loved these brownies! They’re always a hot with us too. Thanks Jennifer!

Rebeccaposted May 25, 2014 at 4:57 am

I’ve been eyeing these brownies off for what feels like forever! I FINALLY made them yesterday for a family get-together today. Wow! Everyone approved, including my hard-to-please grandpa.

I love that you also use Bonne Maman jams. They are the best! And so are these brownies! I had so much fun layering, that I’m looking at other flavours to try (your peppermint one and red velvet ones… definitely going to attempy PB cheesecake brownies too).

Rebecca from Australia

Megposted June 3, 2014 at 5:35 am

I’ve been looking for an excuse to make these for ages, and now I finally have one! I’ll be making them for my sister, (my own Sally!) to help get her through her exams – just a thought, would it work to substitute the cheese cake layer with one of your skinny cheesecake recipes? Or would it throw the consistency off?

• Sallyreplied on June 3rd, 2014 at 7:43 am

I fear the consistency would be thrown off, but if you try it – let me know.

Kayleighposted June 21, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Not only are these delicious, but they are easy to make! I have made them for a couple of times for when we have girls night–they are always the first to go! Although I am a seasoned baker, it is always nice to have a recipe that is quick to make with amazing taste. Thanks Sally for another great dessert!

Elzaposted July 11, 2014 at 11:05 am

My house smells like heaven, thanks to these brownies. They are for guests tommorow, but I have literally no idea how I’ll stop myself from eating them today. Alone.
    Thanks for this beautiful recipe. Alright, i don’t know how they taste, but let’s be serious, there’s only one option – perfect.

Aliciaposted July 17, 2014 at 1:01 pm

These look delicious! Could I use a 9×13 inch pan?

• Sallyreplied on July 17th, 2014 at 7:11 pm

You will have to double the brownie recipe for a 9×13 – I am unsure of the baking time.

Amyposted August 7, 2014 at 9:52 am

Hi! I’m looking to make a treat for my coworkers tomorrow, but I need to bake today! Dumb question, but will they still taste good tomorrow? I don’t wanna bring stale treats! Can’t wait to try this, looks heavenly! :)

• Sallyreplied on August 7th, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Yep, they will be just fine. Keep at room temperature (covered tightly) until tomorrow.

• Amyreplied on August 7th, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Thank you! Just finished them and they came out amazing.Your instructions are so easy to follow!

beaposted September 17, 2014 at 3:25 am

these look fantastic!! are you able to freeze them?!

• Sallyreplied on September 17th, 2014 at 9:59 am

Definitely. See the recipe instructions.

KZposted September 27, 2014 at 4:57 am

I tried your chocolate fudge brownies and was absolutely convinced to try this one. Just a quick question- can I do the raspberry layer by hand instead of using a handheld mixer?

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Because of the cream cheese, I recommend a mixer to help smooth it out. You *could* try without – just use a lot of arm muscle to really get that mixture smooth and creamy.

Diniposted November 19, 2014 at 11:17 am

Hi Sally, i tried this twice and both of them browning too much (the 2nd time better) i used baking paper and i don’t cover it after 20 minute (i don’t know how to cover it), please tell me which part that i do wrong? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on November 19th, 2014 at 11:20 am

Covering with aluminum foil prevents too much browning. Simply set a piece of aluminum foil on top of the pan.

Erica Guevaraposted December 19, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Hi Sally! My mom and I
    have totally become addicted to your blog! I have two different brownie recipes I plan to try to for our upcoming family Christmas. I just wanted to double check on the size of pan you used for the raspberry cheesecake brownies. Is it the 8×8 pan or is it something different?

• Sallyreplied on December 19th, 2014 at 7:26 pm

Hi Erica– this recipe uses an 11 x 7 inch baking pan

Sarahposted December 26, 2014 at 10:39 am

Hello ! Is it OK if I use your ultimate fudge brownie recipe for the brownie part instead? :) love your blog <3

• Sallyreplied on December 26th, 2014 at 11:53 am

I have a hard time swirling the cheesecake batter into that thick brownie batter. It’s always quite messy and not very pretty. So, this brownie recipe works best.

Angel Galvezposted December 28, 2014 at 11:48 pm

Hi. Is it possible to substitute baking chocolate bars/chips with unsweetened cocoa powder?

• Sallyreplied on December 29th, 2014 at 9:08 am

No, that will not work here.

Anuposted January 10, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Since you wanted to know ( and I don’t mind flaunting my newly acquired exceptional baking skills!)….

This is next on my list. If I were to bake this in a 8×8 pan, do I need to change the quantities or the bake time? Please let me know.

So my latest baking “repertoire” includes
    1. Chewy Fudge Brownies
    2. Brown Butter Chocolate chip cookies
    3. Homemade Pizza Crust
    4. Red Velvet Cupcake with cream cheese frosting
    5. Ultimate Magic cookie bars
    6. Orange glazed Cranberry bread
    7. and.. Raspberry cheesecake brownie next!

Nabaposted January 12, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Hi, Sally.
    I made these just yesterday for my 19th birthday (although I used strawberry jam instead of raspberry) and they turned out great! I’m new to cooking/baking and I was wondering: could I use white chocolate next time or would that not work? Because I LOVE white chocolate!

Thank you so much for the recipe!

• Sallyreplied on January 13th, 2015 at 8:04 am

Naba, white chocolate instead of regular chocolate in this brownie recipe is something I’ve been meaning to try. I’m unsure of the taste or how they will look (they might brown quite a bit). White chocolate is sweeter than semi-sweet so perhaps try reducing the sugar in the brownie recipe itself. Let me know how it goes.

Ashiposted February 7, 2015 at 1:19 am

Your brownies look delicious so i decided to give it a try. Although i have a few questions. Can I use any other type of berry.. such as strawberries in this recipe?
    And is the oven temperature(350 F) the same temperature for your brownies recipe?

• Sallyreplied on February 7th, 2015 at 9:26 am

Strawberries would be just fine, make sure you really pat them dry since strawberries are very moist. The bake time may be slightly longer; I’m not entirely sure of the exact time.

Joan Arnoldposted February 8, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Instead of baking them in an 11×7 pan, I decided to bake them in a muffin pan (with liners) and lower the baking time. So far, so good. However, I added too much batter to a couple of the muffin cups which is making them puff up and over the liners/cups. Oops. Next batch I’ll have to go light on the batter and cheesecake layer.

Norma Catoneposted February 10, 2015 at 11:04 pm

For the first time I am baking homemade brownies. I found your raspberry cream cheese brownie that sounded phenomenal. I was so eager to make them for a valentines treat to take to work that I was so careful not to over measure the flour as you indicated in your recipe that I completely omitted it all together, by accident of course. Can you believe it. Well, I realized it after they were already in the oven for 10 minutes. I debated taking them out and stir in the flour since the mixture was still liquidy, but then I thought about the eggs. Would it have been so bad?

I didn’t know what to do so I decided to let it ride and see what I got. I added another 15 minutes to the baking time. As you can imagine, it didnt set or firm-up. I decided to freeze it and use it as a ice cream sunday topping. It worked out great.

Sad I know, but what would you have done?

Kindest regards,
    Norma, sad baker :((

• Sallyreplied on February 11th, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Hi Norma! Unfortunately, leaving out the flour entirely… I would have started over. I’m forgetful too and something like this happens to me a lot. Maybe try again and have all of your ingredients measured and ready to go before beginning.

Steven Valeposted April 9, 2015 at 7:24 am

I made these for work, as everyone was on a diet so I just had to give in, and they were amazing.

They actually lasted a few days (restraint in a staffroom) and just got better as the brownies became gooier and gooier.

Many thanks for the recipe, this one is definitely a keeper, though I may try adding black raspberry liqueur in with brownie and see how that goes.

Izzyposted August 2, 2015 at 12:01 pm

Hi Sally! Firstly I absolutely LOVE your recipes! They always turn out just right!
    If I just wanted a basic choc cheese swirl brownie, would this recipe work by just omitting the raspberry jam?

• Sallyreplied on August 3rd, 2015 at 8:43 am

Yep– just leave out the jam.

Lisaposted August 19, 2015 at 6:46 am

I freaking looove cheesecake, so I doubled the amount of the topping and it’s gorgeous.
    I also tried blackberries instead of raspberries as they were a little cheaper 😀
    Greetings from Germany

Juliaposted August 27, 2015 at 11:12 am

Hi Sally. Isnt it necessary to spray non stick spray on the foil? If i double the recipe to 1.5x, how would the baking time vary?

• Sallyreplied on August 27th, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Not necessary here but you can if you’d like. The baking time will be longer, but I’m unsure of the exact time.