Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars.

Creamy lemon cheesecake bars studded and swirled with blueberries. They’re prepared on my simple graham cracker crust and will absolutely be your new favorite dessert!

Creamy Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars. So simple to make! sallysbakingaddiction.com

You’ll always hear me say that apple pie is my favorite dessert.

And that anything peanut butter is my predictable #2 choice, pumpkin pie is my best friend, salted caramel runs through my veins, and carrot cake is my middle name. But what you may not know about me is how much I adore lemon.

Or maybe you do know that by now

I went a little nuts buying lemons at Costco last week. Two large bundles of them – about 10 lemons in each bundle. My original plans were to juice them with greens and apples during the week, but lemon blueberry cheesecake bars sounded so much better.

Well, maybe a little green juice with cheesecake bars on the side. Life’s all about balance, after all.

This recipe is a spin-off of my Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars. Same flavors, but prepared differently. My originals have a streusel crumb crust and topping. Unworldly good. Try them! After you make today’s recipe, of course.

Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake Bars recipe on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Today’s cheesecake bars start with a thick graham cracker crust. If it’s served on a thick graham cracker crust, I’m going to love it. Absolutely my favorite kind of crust these days. And the perfectly sweet accompaniment to the light and creamy cheesecake topping.

This is my basic graham cracker crust recipe and it fits into a 9-inch pie dish if you’re looking for a base for pies and cakes. I love it topped with brownies and toasted marshmallow. My graham cracker crust is slightly crunchy, nutty, buttery, and is not overly sweet like most crusts of its kind.

3 ingredients are all you’ll need for the simple graham cracker crust.

The PERFECT Homemade Graham Cracker Crust. Here's exactly how I make it every time!

The cheesecake topping is thick, sweet, tart, and lush. The creamiest of creamy, smooth as silk, and laughably simple to make. In fact, I use this easy, basic cheesecake filling as the base for all of my cheesecake bar recipes. (I link to a few of those recipes at the bottom of this post.)

Flavoring the cheesecake filling is a whole lotta lemon. Both lemon zest and fresh lemon juice – none of that fake lemon extract stuff. I used the zest of two medium lemons and the juice of one. I do not recommend using bottled lemon juice, which tends to be much stronger and acidic than fresh.

The cheesecake bars will have a light lemon flavor that’s not too sour, not too sweet. And certainly nothing to make you pucker up your lips! You’re going to load the cheesecake filling with blueberries. Tons of them speckled throughout each bar. The more, the better. I used a blend of frozen blueberries and fresh – so either will work just fine. The frozen blueberries let off some of their juices during bake time, giving the bars their beautiful purple pops of color.

Play around with the berries you use – I have a feeling raspberries, blackberries, and/or strawberries would be fantastic in these lemon cheesecake bars. Or leave the berries out completely for a simply pure lemon treat.

I wouldn’t change a thing about this recipe! Kevin and I both loved how light they tasted, as well as how the buttery graham cracker crust complemented the zingy, sweet lemon cheesecake filling. Finding the tasty balance between tart and sweet is tricky when it comes to lemon desserts, but these bars nail it!

Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars

Yield: 16 bars

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 4 hours, 50 minutes

Creamy lemon cheesecake bars studded and swirled with blueberries. They're prepared on my simple graham cracker crust and will absolutely be your new favorite dessert!

• 10 full-sheet graham crackers (or 1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs)
  • 6 Tablespoons (90g) melted unsalted butter
  • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar

• 16 ounces cream cheese (2 standard packages or 450g), softened to room temperature
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar
  • zest of 2 medium lemons1
  • juice of 1 medium lemon1
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (225g) fresh or frozen unthawed blueberries

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil with enough overhang on the sides. Set aside.
  2. Make the crust: Using a food processor or blender, pulverize the graham crackers into a fine crumb. Pour into a medium bowl and mix with melted butter and sugar. Press into the lined pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Allow to cool as you prepare the filling.
  3. Make the filling: Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese for 1 minute on medium speed until smooth. On medium speed, beat in the egg, sugar, lemon zest, lemon juice, and vanilla extract together until smooth and creamy, about 3 full minutes. Gently fold in the blueberries. Spoon filling onto the crust.
  4. Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the cheesecake has set up and the edges are lightly browned. The bars will be very puffy, but will sink slightly down as they cool. Allow to cool for 30 minutes at room temperature on a wire rack and then chill in the refrigerator for at least three hours. Lift the foil out of the pan and cut into squares.
  5. Make ahead tip: The bars stay fresh in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. You can freeze the bars for up to 3 months. Then, thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving.

1. 1 medium-size lemon = approximately 1 tablespoon of lemon zest = 2 to 3 tablespoons of lemon juice

Try my Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Bars next!

Nutella Swirl Cheesecake Bars

Also, here are my Snickers Cheesecake Bars and Strawberry Swirl Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars.

106 Responses to “Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake Bars.”

Osamaposted March 27, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Going to make them tomorrow ,

I didn’t tell you that i became truly addicted to your recipes ( as i said before they complete what i miss in pastry making , i really feel that you have your own special field in pastry making here , iam calling them pastry treats !) now really all your recipes that i tried until now worked great for me and i adore them . I tried monkey bread at first , then became addicted to BARS !! I tried the chocolate chip cookie dough penut butter brownies , penut butter rice krespies brownies , magic bars . Then i moved to the best CiNNAMON ROLLS in my life !! ( i used the monkey bred dough for them ) it is best of the best i garantuee no one would order a cinnamon roll from a coffee shop after trying this recipe . I mean it !!

You are amazing , Definitely i became addicted to your blog !

Wish you the best ,

Pastry treat queen , thats your name for me .

• Sallyreplied on March 27th, 2014 at 6:42 pm

I know you enjoyed that monkey bread, Osama! I appreciate your kind comment so much. And bars are my favorite – they’re so simple to make! Pastry treat queen – so sweet. Thank you!

Amy @ Amy's Healthy Bakingposted March 27, 2014 at 6:57 pm

Cheesecake bars vs juicing? That’s not even a fair fight — dessert will always win, hands down! 😉 I’m planning on visiting my parents soon (once I shake this silly sore throat), and when I do, I’m definitely stocking up on lemons. They have at least 3 or 4 trees between their front and back yards! And you better believe that cheesecake bars just might make an appearance afterwards. Yum!

Meaghan hposted March 27, 2014 at 10:30 pm

I made these last night (for dessert after making two pizzas using your pizza dough recipe–which is always a huge hit in my house!). They were so amazing! I snuck a bar before everyone else had one a tried to convince them they were horrible, but no one believed me and I had to share. :-) Thanks for yet another great recipe!!

Erin @ The Spiffy Cookieposted March 28, 2014 at 12:41 pm

I’ve recently been obsessing over black berries so I’d love to make this with them

Meg @ The Housewife In Training Filesposted March 28, 2014 at 4:07 pm

These have nearly everything I love in spring desserts….with the exception of Peanut Butter which is acceptable all year long! I think I am going to whip up a batch before I make them for Easter…you know for quality assurance reasons :)

Dinaposted March 28, 2014 at 5:55 pm

yummy bars for spring!

Lisa @ Simple Pairingsposted April 2, 2014 at 8:59 am

Such lovely bars, Sally! I’m a cheesecake-a-holic. I remember asking for cheesecake on my birthday instead of cake as a kid for several years! Love your lemon twist – I actually really like tart + sweet because I love the balance. Brings such a brightness, too.

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Yes! Tart and sweet is a fabulous combination. Lisa – I love that you’re a cheesecake-a-holic too!

Emilyposted April 2, 2014 at 9:37 am

SUCCESS!! These tasted soooo amazing!! Everyone that tried them, loved them!! I will be making these again for sure!! My boyfriend made the comment “this is your second good dessert in a row!” I told him that they were both from the same person!

• Sallyreplied on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:14 pm

That’s a great compliment coming from your boyfriend, Emily! So glad you tried these out. They’re a new favorite for sure.

Sophieposted April 3, 2014 at 7:05 am

These look so gooey and delicious!!

Yingstarposted April 3, 2014 at 7:32 pm

these look absolutely AMAZING! blueberries and lemons are two of my fav things. can’t wait to try this!!

Marikaposted April 5, 2014 at 9:23 am

These look absolutely delicious and I will definitely be making these for Easter dinner! My husband is so picky when it comes to desserts and doesn’t have a sweet tooth like me : ) but I’m sure he’ll love these. Thanks for another great recipe!!

Bree Kitchenposted April 10, 2014 at 8:53 pm

I adore lemon and blueberry! Can’t wait to give these a go xox

Michelle @ The Gathering of Friendsposted April 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm

I love mixing blueberries and lemon! This colors in the cheesecake are beautiful! We featured your recipe in our Feature Friday for 20 ‘Egg’stra Special Easter Desserts! here is the link, I hope you can stop by.

Kirstenposted April 19, 2014 at 10:02 am

This looks absolutely delicious! I’m definitely going to try this recipe, lemon is my all time favourite dessert flavor. Love your blog and all your recipes!

Andreaposted April 20, 2014 at 1:49 pm

I made these and they were delicious! ! I’m wondering does it work just as well as a cheesecake itself and can I double it?

• Sallyreplied on April 20th, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Definitely! Yes, double the filling recipe. I’ve never tried it before, so I’m unsure of the bake time.

Merelposted May 9, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Sally, this is absolutely amazing! I’ve made them twice now, and the second time I didn’t cut them and just served the whole thing as a cake. That worked especially well since I used a spring form instead of a baking sheet! I did tweak it a little: less sugar, and different cookies (no Graham crackers in the Netherlands). Anyway, I write about and photograph my food experiments at my blog Looking Down On Food – you can find my entry with your recipe here

Jackieposted May 22, 2014 at 2:00 am

I made these today, and already half the tray is gone! Delish! Lemon and blueberry are a hit in my house.

I left the sugar out of the graham cracker crust, as I’m not big on too much sweetness, and luckily it still came out okay! Maybe a bit crumblier than normal, but certainly manageable and definitely yummy!

Rposted June 1, 2014 at 2:28 pm

I loved the look of these so gave them a go and they are fab! Made the whole house smell divine :) I did substitute the Graham crackers for digestive biscuits (UK) and made 50% more of the base than you said in the recipe as it was very thin for me! But absolutely loved them :)

Thank you very much for sharing all these wonderful recipes! I have just bought your cookbook on amazon and can’t wait for it to arrive.

Abigailposted June 10, 2014 at 2:48 pm

I’m going to make these tonight, but I want to use a 9×13 inch pan. Would you recommend I 1.5x this recipe? Will doubling be too much? (I am a novice, clearly). Thanks!!

• Sallyreplied on June 10th, 2014 at 4:41 pm

Hey Abigail! Double the recipe for the 9×13 pan. The bake time will be longer, but I am unsure of the exact amount of time.

Sparklesposted June 26, 2014 at 7:48 am

I made this recipe for a spring party at my house and it was a big hit. I used reduced fat cream cheese and it turned out excellent. Love the lemon and blueberry combo.

Dawn Boucherposted June 30, 2014 at 4:08 pm

I made these with dragonfruit instead of blueberries. They came out delicious and beautiful. Thanks for the wonderful recipe. Pictures on FB :)

• Sallyreplied on June 30th, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Sounds amazing, Dawn – thanks for sharing the photos!

Nahla Mahmoudposted October 16, 2014 at 11:53 am

Hello Sally,
    The recipe sounds easy to make and I love the combination of lemon and blueberries. I was just wondering , should it be done in a bed bath. I’ve done a cheese cake before and it required one. Please respond soon. I was planning on having it ready for a dinner party after tomorrow and wanted to make it tomorrow.

• Sallyreplied on October 16th, 2014 at 2:37 pm

No need for a water bath for these bars. That’s really more needed for a large, thick cheesecake.

mindyposted January 13, 2015 at 12:05 pm

If I omitted the berries and didn’t add any other kind of fruit, will the lemon be too tangy???

Rachelposted March 21, 2015 at 6:49 pm

I made these for my family. We used cane sugar and oranges instead as that is all we had. Thank you!

Gayatriposted May 19, 2015 at 10:40 am

This was just incredible!! Baked it as a whole cheesecake and everyone went crazy! Thank you :)

Sarahposted July 27, 2015 at 7:48 am

I  made these last week after hearing rave reviews from my mom and sister.  :-))  They are amazing…addictive, actually!  I live in Germany so I made my own “graham cracker” crust.  (For those in a similar situation, I used Leibnitz Vollkorn Kekse and added nutmeg and cinnamon, with the 6 tablespoons butter and sugar per the recipe. For the cream cheese, I used Philadelphia “Doppelrahm” because I couldn’t find the “Regular”. They turned out perfectly….). Thank you for the recipe!  I think I will be making them frequently.  :-)

Luceposted August 12, 2015 at 1:14 pm

These are delicious. While the adults all loved the intense lemon flavor, my grandchildren thought they were too lemony. I changed the recipe to use only the juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon and they are perfect for the little ones. Thanks so much for sharing.

Lauraposted August 22, 2015 at 1:21 am

These are delicious!  Sally, I have been reading your blog for several months now and I have tried over a dozen recipes and each one is amazing.  I am an avid baker and I spend most of my free time in the kitchen, so I definitely consider myself a bit of a food snob, ha.  But your recipes continually exceed expectations!!
    I grew up in rural SC, and I remember baking all the time with my mom as a kid.  Isn’t it funny how once you’ve had amazing homemade goodies it becomes difficult to settle for store-bought goods?? :)  I am usually that person who always brings the dessert or homemade goodies to a get together, and your lemon blueberry cheesecake bars are definitely going into my repertoire.   In fact, my best friend has had a terrible week so I am making another batch to surprise her with tomorrow.  Also love your pancake recipes, amazing.

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Thanks so much for the sweet comment, Laura! I appreciate you taking the time to write. I know what you mean about store-bought goodies. I always, always am preparing homemade treats. As you can imagine! And these lemon blueberry cheesecake bars– what a sweet surprise to lift your friend’s spirits.

Graceposted September 22, 2015 at 7:43 am

Hi, I was just wondering how long I would need to bake for when using mini heart pans size 4″x3/4″Deep? Thank you