Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars.

Soft and chewy sugar cookie bars loaded with extra sprinkles and topped with thick vanilla frosting. And more sprinkles… of course.

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars - soft baked and heavy on the sprinkles! Recipe by

These gorgeous pastel sugar cookie bars are about 5 years in the making. I’ve been dying to make sugar cookie bars with light ‘n sweet frosting for ages now. And I finally got around to it this past weekend. Let’s just call it my TV celebration treat. :)

In all their soft-baked, mile high frosting, sprinkles-to-the-max goodness… I can honestly say that these charming little treats were well worth the wait. I mean, just look at ’em.

The frosting is as thick as the cookie!! Have mercy.

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars - soft baked and heavy on the sprinkles! Recipe by

Today’s recipe is as soft as my favorite soft-baked cookie, as chewy as my favorite blondie, and as sprinkly as my entire cookbook. You’ll find sprinkles in the cookie bar base AND on top of the frosting. Is there such a thing as too many sprinkles? Because I’m pretty sure we test those limits here on my blog.

To make the frosted sugar cookie bars ultra soft, I add a touch of cornstarch. Trust me on this! Think about it: often used as a thickening agent, cornstarch gives your gravy, pie fillings, soups, and glazes a more bodied and full texture. The same goes for your cookie dough – cornstarch will help your dough remain soft, thick, and puffy during the baking process. The small 1.5 teaspoons used is certainly a heavy lifter in this recipe!

To make the cookie bars ultra chewy, I add an extra egg yolk. I do this with a few of my cookie recipes because that little extra yolk adds so much moisture, tenderness, and chew to the cookie. And it does the same thing to the sugar cookie bar base in this recipe. You’re going to love their rich, tender texture.

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars - soft baked and heavy on the sprinkles! Recipe by

What’s great about this recipe is that you don’t have to chill the cookie dough. Just press the dough into the pan and bake right away. Bake the bars in a square baking pan – 8 inch or 9 inch is fine. Only about 25 minutes. You want to slightly underbake the cookie bars in order to avoid the edges from getting too crispy and brown.

Allow the bars to cool completely before frosting. This will feel like an eternity.

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars - soft baked and heavy on the sprinkles! Recipe by

If you’re the kind of person who eats cake just for the frosting, you’re going to love this recipe. And we would also get along very well. I may or may not have eaten the frosting off this cake before actually getting to the cake underneath. Uh, can you blame me?

You’ll use my basic vanilla frosting recipe for these bars. Classic, fluffy, and simple. I like to add a touch of salt to cut the frosting’s sweetness. With the sweet sugar cookie bar underneath, that tiny pinch of salt will help tame a sugar rush. Don’t get me wrong, these bars are still plenty sweet! Don’t bring them to your dentist.

And as you can see, the frosting layer is just as thick as the cookie layer. In some spots, even thicker – those were the best bites. The frosting recipe as written makes a ton, so don’t be afraid to frost the bars with a heavy hand.

Don’t want that much frosting? It’s ok, I forgive you. Feel free to halve the frosting recipe.

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars - soft baked and heavy on the sprinkles! Recipe by

Super easy Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars are everyone's favorite. Really, they are so so good!

Ordinary ingredients can produce extraordinary desserts. Only simple, straightforward items used in this recipe and yet, the results will blow your mind!

Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars

Yield: 16 bars

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 50 minutes, plus cooling

Simple sugar cookie dough, basic vanilla frosting, and a whole lotta sprinkles. You'll fall in love with each soft-baked, tender bite and never want the pan to end!

• 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

Vanilla Frosting

• 3/4 cup (170g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2 and 1/4 cups (270g) confectioners' sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream or half-and-half3
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • salt, to taste

• food coloring for frosting (I used 1 drop red for this pink frosting)
  • extra sprinkles for decorating on top

1. Make the bars: Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, making sure to leave enough overhang on the sides. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl using a hand-held mixer or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the softened butter for about 1 minute on medium speed. Get it nice and smooth, then add the sugar on medium speed until fluffy and light in color. Beat in egg, egg yolk, and vanilla. Scrape down the sides as needed.
  3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cornstarch. With the mixer running on low speed, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 different parts. The dough is quite thick. Once combined, gently fold in 1/2 cup sprinkles using a rubber spatula (or by mixing on low speed).
  4. Press the cookie dough evenly into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 25-26 minutes or until very lightly browned on top. You want the cookie bars to be extra soft, so careful not to overbake. Allow the bars to cool completely on a wire rack at room temperature before frosting. The center will slightly sink - that's normal.
  5. Make the frosting: If you don't want a super thick layer of frosting as pictured, halve the frosting recipe. With a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy - about 2 minutes. Add confectioners' sugar, cream, and vanilla extract with the mixer running on low. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 full minutes. Add more confectioners' sugar if frosting is too thin or more cream if frosting is too thick. Add a pinch of salt if frosting is too sweet. I usually add anywhere between 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Beat in food coloring, if using.
  6. Remove cooled bars from the baking pan using the aluminum foil overhang on the sides. Frost the bars with a thick layer of frosting and decorate with extra sprinkles if desired. Cut into squares. Use a very sharp knife and wipe off with a paper towel between each cut to make neat, even cuts. Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.
  7. Make ahead tip: You can make these bars and the frosting 1 day in advance-- store the bars, covered, at room temperature overnight and store the frosting, covered, in the refrigerator. Frost before cutting and serving. You can also freeze the unfrosted bars for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, frost, cut, and serve.

1. Room temperature egg and egg yolk preferred. To bring the egg to room temperature quickly, place in a warm glass of water for about 10 minutes as you get the other ingredients ready. Or just set out when you set out the butter to soften 1 hour ahead of time.
  2. Use regular sprinkles (aka "jimmies") in the cookie bar base. Nonpareils (the little balls) will bleed their color and turn the sugar cookie dough green/purple/brown. I order my sprinkles in bulk here.
  3. Cream or half-and-half is preferred for creamiest, fluffiest frosting. Keeping that in mind, milk would be an OK substitute if you do not have either on hand.

Larger batch: You can double this recipe and bake in a 9x13 pan; the bake time is about 35 minutes.

Soft-Baked and chewy Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars

For a Christmas treat, add 4 drops of green food coloring to make festive green frosting. You can color the frosting any color you want!

Christmas Funfetti Sugar Cookie Bars

Try my favorite sugar cookie recipe next!

Soft-Baked Funfetti Sugar Cookies

190 Responses to “Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars.”

Lexyposted September 13, 2014 at 8:30 am

Tackling these this morning 730 my hands were already in cookie dough. I’m waiting for them to cool now so I can frost them. Blue, not pink as it is for a baby shower. The frosting is divine and I used milk. I used ener-g egg replacer in place of eggs. As I had no eggs, however, I’m a pretty frequent baker and run out of eggs often. Whoops. Maybe I should start buying 2 cartons instead of 1. My daughter (2) helped and loves to lick the beaters and spatula after folding in sprinkles. And folding frosting from the sides.
    They will be delicious. No questions asked.

• Lexyreplied on September 13th, 2014 at 9:02 am

Yuhpp. Delicious. I now need a glowing skin smoothie. And then brush my teeth .

Laura Fryposted September 21, 2014 at 4:02 am

Is there any way to freeze these?

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2014 at 6:46 pm

You may certainly freeze without the frosting. Then thaw overnight in the refrigerator and frost before serving.

carrieann redfernposted October 10, 2014 at 6:15 pm

Love these look so yummy
    Would love to know though why mine have come out quite chunky. There double the hight of these and my tray was bigger so would of expected them to be flat. They have rose kind of like a cake. They do taste yummy. Just dont think they are what they are supposed to be. I have took a photo of them. Love your recipes :)

Dani Conleyposted October 26, 2014 at 11:25 pm

These were so good! I love how all of your recipes still work even though I am at high altitude. The bars were very sweet and the frosting was amazing. I didn’t end up using the whole batch of frosting because honestly, these bars are so good you wouldn’t even need the frosting for them to be a hit!

Marenposted December 5, 2014 at 11:43 am

Best sweets recipe ever. These have single-handedly improved the quality of my life.

Jessicaposted December 26, 2014 at 10:28 am

Oh my gosh! These are amazing. I made them for Christmas day and they were a big hit. They practically melt in your mouth! Love all your recipes.

Ruthieposted January 6, 2015 at 8:22 am

These were delicious! After cooling, mine sunk everywhere except for the edges… What could i have done wrong to cause this to happen ?

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2015 at 9:08 am

Hi Ruthie! That’s completely normal. Mine do as well. Cut and frost the bars and no one notices!

Meganposted January 8, 2015 at 8:20 pm

These came out amazing! I was nervous mine were to under-baked but as I let them cool the texture became dense gooey and crazy addicting! I am a frosting fanatic so I obviously was in love, but even my brother who hates frosting commented on how good the frosting was! Your blog is so fun and your recipes are amazing! Thank you so much!

katie Arnoldposted January 21, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Do these bars freeze well without the frosting ? Also would it make a difference if I make them in a round pan ? Want to make them look like pizza slices that’s why I ask

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nutposted January 28, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Oh my gosh I need to make these ASAP! Pinning!

Libbieposted January 29, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Just made these tonight for my daughter’s 4th birthday and holy yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Sunnieposted February 1, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Will they still turn out without using sprinkles? I haven’t been able to find any “soft” sprinkles. I cannot stand the crunchy ones :(

• Sallyreplied on February 1st, 2015 at 8:59 pm

You may leave out the sprinkles

Jennaposted February 3, 2015 at 1:12 am

These are soooo good! I have made these twice now for 100 (sorority) gals both times and have had great success!
    This time around I ran out of vanilla so I substituted maple syrup in the batter and maple extract in the icing, I threw a little cream cheese in there too.

AND I tripled the batch so I could do it in a 13×9 (I made 3 of those) and they all turned out so awesome! Super thick which I love but will make note it only need 2.5x instead of 3 and the time was 32 minutes .
    I did the same color icing and had these adorable star sprinkles and they were so fun/cute and delicious so thankyou !

Jennaposted February 3, 2015 at 1:15 am

Oh and I also made a single batch substituting namaste gluten free flour blend and it was perfect!!! My gluten free girls loved them:)

Jenniferposted February 12, 2015 at 12:11 pm

These will be perfect for my mom’s night out tonight! yummmy! and all things I have on hand which is perfect bc I can’t get to the store! yay for basics and deliciousness. I’m pretty sure my kids will have to have a little taste too! Thanks for making so many awesome recipes!

Patti Leisureposted March 13, 2015 at 8:24 am

Love, love, love these!! Absolutely a perfect recipe. The cookie dough has perfect texture with the wonderful icing. My husband and boys are very happy. I also made your chocolate chip muffins. Those are also delicious. The chocolate chips kept they shape and didn’t melt, just like the bakery. I’m a big fan of your recipes and can trust that whatever I make will be wonderful. I also love sprinkles!!!

Floraposted March 18, 2015 at 3:49 am

Hey Sally,

I was just wondering how long these would last? I’m planning to make them for my friend’s birthday but I need to make them 5 days in advance. Do you think that would be okay?

• Sallyreplied on March 18th, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Hi Flora, see the last recipe instruction. Store bars in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days and in the refrigerator up to 5.

Julie Aposted March 18, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Thanks for the great recipe! I translated it to gluten free by using a GF All-Purpose Flour and 2 tsp Xantham Gum plus increased the corn starch to 2 tsp. Might try it with 1 tsp Xantham next time so that it’s denser. Thanks again!!!!!

Nicoleposted April 20, 2015 at 5:06 pm

You are my go to gal for amazing recipes! Thank you so much for sharing them with us. I made these today and I ate like 4 right away. I wonder if you would know a rough estimate on calories for 1 bar? These will definitely be a staple in this house!

• Sallyreplied on April 20th, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I don’t sorry! Perhaps a free online tool can help calculate. So glad you made them!

Zaraposted June 19, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Hi Sally, these look so pretty and colourful. I’m planning on making these for a baby shower (it’s a girl!), about how many bars do you get from this recipe? I love your website so much thank you for your amazing recipes :).

• Sallyreplied on June 20th, 2015 at 6:57 am

Hi Zara! These are perfect for a baby shower. Yield: 16 cookie bars

lisa g.posted June 20, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Wow those look good! I was thinking of baking the cookie, then sprinkling chocolate heath toffee bits on top while its still warm. Then after the cookie cools I would spread a no-bake cheesecake filling on top. And if feeling nawty maybe more choc toffee bits to finish it off. Then fridge it until cold and set. What do you think?

Hollyposted June 28, 2015 at 4:52 pm

These were delish! I added just a touch of raspberry extract to the frosting and it was delightful! I will be making these again for sure! Thank you for sharing!

Kierstenposted July 3, 2015 at 9:52 am

I am going to try these! They look so yummy!! Question, will the flat sprinkles work okay in the dough?

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2015 at 7:51 pm

Yes, definitely!

Nehaposted July 18, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Hi Sally

Do you just use a spatula to apply the frosting on the cookies?
    These look so pretty!!

• Sallyreplied on July 19th, 2015 at 11:34 am

Sometimes. I also sometimes use an icing knife.

Keshiaposted July 19, 2015 at 4:10 pm

I use this site to find recipes all the time. I recently ventured off to another site and made a recipe similar to this. I was very disappointed in it. The recipes on this site never let me down. This recipe turned out great! I would definitely recommend it.

Graceposted July 21, 2015 at 6:32 pm

thank you! These were absolutely delicious!

Nikiposted November 2, 2015 at 9:44 am

I made these for a party this past weekend and used Halloween sprinkles and tinted the icing green, orange and purple.  They were so good.  I think my 4 year-old would eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner if I let her!  thanks for another great recipe.