Crispy Quinoa Patties.

These simple crispy quinoa patties are so versatile. They’re a great meatless option that even meat eaters will love. Play around with your favorite vegetables and spices. Makes great leftovers!

Crispy Quinoa Patties - these versatile patties are crispy on the edges, warm in the center, and freeze well for a quick meal. Add your favorite spices and veggies!

Here’s the dessert we had on Sunday night. And before those frosted sugar cookie bars, we enjoyed quinoa patties for dinner. Crispy on the edges, savory, herbed, warm in the center… these meatless patties are one of the best things we’ve put on the table.

(Even my meat and potatoes loving fiancé agrees.)

Kevin’s older sister, Kerry – the one who inspired this recipe, makes these crispy quinoa patties on the regular. I’ve had hers several times, usually in the summer for a light lunch with a salad. Kerry is one incredible cook – she’s even hosting my bridal shower this summer. Cannot wait for all her amazing food.

Let me tell you a few things about these quinoa patties.

• They are so versatile! Serve them warm over salads, serve them warm in pitas (falafel style) with creamy sauce and greens, layer them into a sandwich with avocado and cheese, or even simply drizzled with hot sauce.
  • Great make ahead option. Make this entire batch of them (about 20 patties) and freeze them so you always have them handy when you’re in a pinch. Or store them in the refrigerator for the week for a quick grab ‘n go lunch of dinner. They reheat wonderfully in the microwave.
  • There are so many variations! Get creative – what’s your favorite cheese? Add it. Love broccoli or cauliflower instead of zucchini? Make the swap. Add your favorite spices like lemon pepper, cumin, dill, or smoked paprika.

The version I’m sharing today has garlic, onion, fresh grated parmesan, parsley, carrot, zucchini, salt, and lemon pepper.

No matter which variety I make, I always use the onions and garlic for their unparalleled flavor. Kerry suggested a dill/feta cheese/zucchini version. I’m going to try that one next!

Like any burger, meatball, or veggie pattie recipe – you need to be careful with your ingredients. There needs to be enough “sticking power” to help the patties hold their shape. Here are a few tips to help keep the quinoa patties together:

• Make sure you have the right balance of veggies and bread crumbs. If you’re gluten free, make sure your bread crumbs are gluten free as well. I have never had luck making these without breadcrumbs.
  • Make sure you chop your veggies nice and fine. I find pulsing them in a food processor gets them to the right size. (As well as cuts down your work!) The smaller your veggies are diced, the better they will hold the patties together.
  • If you find your mixture is too wet, add a little more cooked quinoa and/or bread crumbs. Alternatively, if you find your mixture is too dry, add a couple drops of water.

Form the mixture into about 20 patties, give or take. They will be about 2 inches in diameter. Cook on a lightly oiled skillet until crispy and brown on each side. I’ve simply used nonstick spray instead of oil before, but the nonstick spray doesn’t give the patties their beautifully crispy texture.

Oil is imperative for cooking the quinoa patties.

Besides the cooked quinoa patties making wonderful leftovers, the uncooked quinoa mixture also keeps well for a few days. Make the mixture up, cover and store in the refrigerator until you have some time to cook the patties on the stove.

This meatless option is truly a keeper in our house. So many ways to enjoy them, fabulous leftovers, easy, quick, and a great way to use up leftover quinoa, veggies, cheese, and spices. See more recipes in my savory recipes collection!

Crispy Quinoa Patties

Yield: about 20 patties

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

These simple crispy quinoa patties are so versatile. They're a great meatless option that even meat eaters will love. Play around with your favorite vegetables and spices. Makes great leftovers!

• 2 and 2/3 cups cooked quinoa
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
  • 1/2 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
  • 1/3 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
  • 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3/4 cup gluten free whole grain breadcrumbs (or regular)1
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot and zucchini (1/4 cup each veggie)
  • 1 Tablespoon oil, plus more as needed

1. Combine the quinoa, eggs, salt, and lemon pepper in a large bowl. Stir in the parsley, onion, cheese, and garlic. Stir in the bread crumbs and chopped carrot/zucchini. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes so the crumbs absorb some of the moisture.
  2. At this point, you should have a mixture you can easily form into 20 thick patties. You want the mixture moist, so the patties aren't dry tasting. However, you want the mixture to hold together when cooking. You can add more bread crumbs to firm up the mixture, if needed. Alternatively, you can add a couple drops of water to moisten the mixture. *The uncooked quinoa mixture keeps nicely in the refrigerator for a few days. Cover tightly and cook the patties when you have time.
  3. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, add 5-6 patties, cover, and cook for 7 to 10 minutes until the bottoms are deeply browned. Carefully flip the patties with a spatula and cook the second sides for 5 minutes, or until golden. Remove from the skillet and cool on a large plate while you cook the remaining patties. Add more oil to the skillet if needed between each batch.
  4. Serve plain or in a pita, on a salad, on a sandwich, with sliced avocado, with hot sauce on top, etc etc. There are so many ways to enjoy them!
  5. Make ahead tip: Cooked quinoa patties keep well in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for two months. A quick few seconds in the microwave will warm them back up to enjoy.

Use any cheese, veggies, or spices you like best. The finer the veggies are chopped/grated, the easier the patties will stick together. I always pulse them in a food processor. No matter what else I add, I always use onion and garlic because they give so much flavor.

1. Update (2015): I've successfully made these quinoa patties using 3/4 cup oat flour instead of breadcrumbs!

Recipe adapted from Kerry, who obtained it from Super Natural Every Day: Well-Loved Recipes from My Natural Foods Kitchen By Heidi Swanson

How to Cook Quinoa

Of course today’s recipe cannot start without some cooked quinoa. I’m a huge fan of quinoa. You see, quinoa is a great gluten-free source of protein, iron, and fiber. It’s also a quick way to get in a serving of whole grains. Toss it into salads or soups, use it instead of rice, or throw it into a pot of chili. Or make these incredible crispy little numbers.

Here is a separate page for you to see exactly how I cook quinoa. It’s so simple and keeps wonderfully in the refrigerator.

How to Cook Quinoa

Quinoa is SO good and versatile! It's full of protein and makes the most unbelievably delicious crispy patties!

125 Responses to “Crispy Quinoa Patties.”

Annposted June 20, 2014 at 1:40 pm

FYI – I have made these TWICE now and love them more each time. I am spreading the joy of these wonderful patties. Great addition to my repertoire for meatless meals (says the omnivore)!

Millefeyposted July 14, 2014 at 1:39 pm

I made these today and I think they turned out very well, so thank you for the recipe! It was just what I needed. :) Plus, they browned really nicely and held together great. (Totally fooled my cat with these, she still believes they are meatballs!)

• Sandireplied on August 4th, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Please don’t feed these to your cat (or dog, for that matter) unless you leave out the onions and garlic. Both are toxic to cats and dogs.

Polly Woodsposted July 20, 2014 at 6:31 pm

These are very tasty & love the texture. Also makes a great basic recipe to follow when you want to switch it up: I used the proportions here to make some savory breakfast patties (with onion, garlic, sage, thyme, rosemary, salt & pepper….. ).

NOTE: I’ve cut most bread out of my diet & had good results substituting brown rice flour for the bread crumbs. I’m afraid I didn’t measure, but added gradually until the quinoa hung together. Turned out great!

Rachel Amandaposted July 24, 2014 at 7:08 pm

I made these for dinner tonight and they will definitely become a regular part of our menu…because my 6 year old not only ate them but said they were her favorite part of the meal!

I used cauliflower and yellow bell pepper instead of the carrot and zucchini, because it was what I had on hand. The flavor combo was great. And the texture – soft inside and crispy on the outside – was excellent.

EatFreeRecipesposted July 30, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Just made these the other night and the whole family adored them! Even our little munchkin who is usually the picky one;)
    Thanks so much for the great recipe!

Sandiposted August 4, 2014 at 4:35 pm

These look fantastic! Has anyone tried these with the flax egg substitution, either for some or all of the eggs?

Organic Baby Universityposted August 10, 2014 at 10:48 am

I love this idea but we have a dairy allergy? What can we do about the cheese? We avoid soy as well. Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 10th, 2014 at 8:32 pm

You may omit it altogether. Though the taste will be altered – perhaps add a little extra breadcrumb.

Samatha Geeposted September 8, 2014 at 7:04 am

These look Amazing, I’m always looking for new ideas of things to do with Quinoa i could eat it every day!!

Jessica from 'All About Travelling'posted September 15, 2014 at 8:18 am

These loook amazing! Will be making them tonight for dinner.. will let you know how they turn out 😉

Thanks for the quick and easy recipe!

john @ womensfblogposted September 24, 2014 at 12:36 pm

I think my kids will love this. I already think so many variations with this recipe.
    Lovely meal!

Irinaposted September 30, 2014 at 3:26 am

We tried this recipe last night. Our kids loved it and so did we!! The mixture was a bit wet so we had to add more breadcrumbs but the result was excellent. I have to say that we have also tried quinoa chicken salad and creamy chicken pasta salad and both were really yummy. Thanks for sharing!

Hannaposted October 9, 2014 at 10:16 am

Im planning to make these tonight, but I realized that I dont have any breadcrumbs or stale bread at home. Could I use millet flakes instead?

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Hi Hanna. I apologize for the delay; I was on vacation. Millet flakes would be fine.

Jenposted November 25, 2014 at 6:24 am

Made these last night, and they were so pretty! I followed your recipe exactly with no changes or substitutions. Alas, they were quite bland. I want to add more flavor without more salt. I am thinking maybe hot sauce, but am open to other suggestions.
    Love your blog!

• Shamayahreplied on December 21st, 2014 at 6:42 pm

Thanks for the recipe Sally! It was mjammie!

Jen, I agree with you, so I added more spices – cumin and cinnamon, and some fresh basil leaves chopped up finely. I also added more cheese and pepper. I also changed the ratio by using one cup of quinoa and two cups of veggies (zucchini, broccoli and carrot).

By the way, I used gluten-free flour instead of bread crumbs, which worked great too! I live in Ecuador and they don’t sell gluten-free bread, so this was the easiest solution.

Sandraposted January 2, 2015 at 8:04 pm

These are simply fantastic!
    I’ve already made them a couple of times now, varying the vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, mushroom etc.) and playing around with different spices. Utterly delicious!!
    Thanks so much for this recipe which is now a staple in my kitchen!!

Amyposted January 6, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Hi Sally, I recently discovered your blog and totally love it! I have made several of the recipes for baked goods (pumpkin bread, banana bread, cranberry bread, trufles) and my entire family loves them all!
    Tonight, I am going to try making the quinoa-vegetable cakes but I have a question – do you mix the vegetables into the quinoa mixture when they are raw or can you cook them first? I am wondering if cooking the vegetables first will (1) bring more flavor, and (2) bring less moisture to the mixture. I;d love your thoughts about this!
    Thanks again for all of the great recipes!

• Sallyreplied on January 6th, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Hey Amy! I do not cook the veggies ahead of time. You certainly can, though! Hope you enjoy.

meganposted January 12, 2015 at 5:40 pm

These look great! Love Quinoa. Just bought your cookbook. Love the recipes. Congrats on all the success!

Jaimeposted January 20, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Hi Sally!
    These are amazing! I made them exactly as you wrote and found the flavor to be perfect. Thanks for providing some savory recipes as well.

Mattposted January 26, 2015 at 8:43 pm

What an incredible recipe. With the snow storm, I had to tailor the recipe to what I had on hand. I used Lemon Zest, Black Pepper, Cilantro and Red Onion in place of the Lemon Pepper, Parsley, Carrot and Zucchini. It was an unbelievable combination and wanted to share this ingredient combo, too!

Susanposted March 23, 2015 at 9:48 pm

These are really tasty! I was looking for a recipe to use up the wuinoa I had and I’m so glad I tried this recipe. I was concerned about how these would turn out without cheese since I can’t eat that. Not to worry – they are very tasty and hold together just fine. I added an extra quarter cup of bread crumbs (gluten free) to keep them together. My husband even liked them (he’s not a big fan of quinoa). I put them on top of a bed of kale w sliced avocado and a delicious vinaigrette. YUM!

Michelle Bposted March 24, 2015 at 8:22 am

My husband & I recently bought a bag of quinoa at costco, so we’re talking like 5lbs haha. I was googling ways to use it besides just as a salad or as a pasta/rice sub. I should have known you would have me covered, Sally! :) Thanks for the versitility of your recipes! I love that you offer so much variety! Can I suggest that your next cookbook be “Sally’s Snack Addiction”? Things like your apple chips, granolas, sweet potato fries. YUM! Can’t wait to try these patties!

• Sallyreplied on March 24th, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Now that would be a fun cookbook! Thanks for the sweet comment, Michelle.

Anna @ Lunchlife.orgposted March 30, 2015 at 11:53 am

I made these and they were so good that I made them again – and again. I tinkered a bit with the ingredients on the second and third rounds. The best addition was goat’s cheese instead of Parmeson, spinach instead of the other veg and a tablespoon of pesto and a tablespoon of pinenuts. My husband loved it and it made the best packed lunch imaginable!

I baked the last batch instead of frying – 25 minutes in the oven at 190C gave a perfect golden brown patty that was a a bit lighter and fluffier than the fried version.

Sharon Bortolameolliposted April 2, 2015 at 8:08 pm

hello! This recipe was great!! I knew it would be but my husband and my son were skeptics and well…they loved it!! They both had seconds!! I am wondering how to figure out the nutritional value?? Any help would be great!! Thank you for such a great recipe!

Alexposted April 11, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Hi, these are so tasty! My kids (picky eaters) loved them! I replaced the bread crumbs (husband cannot eat wheat nor anything declared “gluten free”) with oats which I put in the food processor. I served the patties with homemade hummus, refried beans and farmers cheese with fresh chives. Delicious! Thank you!

Romyposted April 20, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Great recipe! Added some feta cheese and a little bit of mint – yummy! We couldn’t stop eating because it was so delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipes. Lots of love from Germany

Brittneyposted May 14, 2015 at 1:02 pm

When you suggested the dill and feta in the post may I ask did you make them and what did you substitute for these new ingredients and what was the measurements

• Sallyreplied on May 15th, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Yes! I usually do 2 teaspoons dill and 1/3 cup feta. I take out the parmesan, the lemon pepper, and 1 Tbsp parsley.

Vruposted June 24, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Lovely recipe! Just wondering – what could I substitute for breadcrumbs? I am hoping to make these for my baby and not keen on using commercial bread. Would a particular flour work?

• Sallyreplied on June 25th, 2015 at 6:54 am

I’ve used oat flour and it works perfectly!

Marianneposted July 1, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Hi Sally! This may have been asked before, but do these freeze well, once they are cooked? There are only 2 of us in this house, and I’m not sure we can get through 20 of these fast enough… Thank you so much for all your amazing recipes!!!

• Sallyreplied on July 1st, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Yes! Up to 2 months.

Saraposted July 3, 2015 at 12:42 am

I’m new to healthy eating & I never thought I would find fantastic healthy recipes from my favorite dessert blog but oh my goodness! These were so so good!

Cassieposted August 9, 2015 at 1:04 pm

I made these the other day and the texture was perfect. The flavor was OK, but not super exciting. I had only cooked 4 patties, so I tried adding finely diced pablano peppers, cumin, and smoked paprika to the rest of the batch. I served them with salsa and avocado and they were awesome! You are right; there are so many possibilities with this base recipe. Thanks. It’s a keeper!

Ashley Settlesposted August 10, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Hey Sally! I’m looking to make and freeze these. (: Do you by chance know the nutritional info for them? Thanks!

• Sallyreplied on August 11th, 2015 at 7:02 am

I do not. Let me know how you like them!

Meghanposted August 14, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Like so many of your recipes, I find myself going back to this one again and again! So simple to make and absolutely delicious and versatile. I am aways thinking of different ways to spin this recipe. I recently tried a version with black beans, cheddar cheese, cilantro, and red peppers which was delicious. Thank you for your great recipes and inspiring me to try something new!

Annaposted August 20, 2015 at 7:15 pm

Made these tonight and they were so yummy! I had fresh basil in the house so I added some in and put the patties on a bed of arugula with avocado and homemade basalmic dressing. Will definitely be making these again soon!

Mattposted September 14, 2015 at 8:34 pm

You’re right there are so many variations! I leave out the bread crumbs and add nutritional yeast; it almost adds a cheesy delicious flavour. Check mine out :)

Kimposted October 6, 2015 at 7:05 pm

We make a batch of these at least twice a month and eat them for breakfast.  I was wondering if you have ever tried baking them in the oven.  I know a little bit of olive oil is good for your diet, but I’d prefer not to fry them.

• Sallyreplied on October 6th, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I have, yes! Obviously much more crisp cooked with oil in the skillet, but still great. About 25 mins at 350.