Blueberries ‘n Cream Cupcakes.

These blueberries ‘n cream cupcakes are bursting with vanilla, juicy blueberries, and a hint a lemon. Top them with lush cream cheese frosting and they’ll be a new favorite!

These Blueberries 'n Cream Cupcakes are bursting with vanilla, juicy blueberries, and a hint a lemon. Moist, flavorful, easy!

We are headed to sunny Mexico tomorrow for my best friend’s wedding! Kristen and Seth are our good friends here in Baltimore; Kristen was my college roomie and I’m so excited to be by her side on her wedding day.

We’ll be in Riviera Maya – have you ever been there before? I bought a huge white sun hat, this adorable dress in navy, and a colorful new bikini. Everything from Target, my home away from home. Somehow hot pink nail polish, tortilla chips, and a new scented candle jumped in my cart too. Funny how that happens every time I walk into that store. By the way, have you ever read this before? My friend sent it to me. 53 thoughts every girl has while shopping at Target. SPOT ON.

In the middle of all my packing and last minute errands this weekend, I took a break to bake a batch of cupcakes for my neighbors. A new recipe, full of juicy blueberries, a hint of lemon, and topped with ultra creamy cream cheese frosting. The batter for today’s recipe is my go-to vanilla cupcake/cake batter. The one and only basic vanilla cupcake recipe I’ll ever use. You don’t even need a mixer to make it! I’ve created over a dozen varieties from this one recipe including strawberry cupcakes, piña colada cupcakesmarble cupcakes, and butterscotch cupcakes.

Like I always say, there is nothing more imperative in a baker’s recipe collection than a basic, delicious vanilla cupcake recipe!

Don’t they look like fresh blueberry muffins? They sort of are – only much lighter, fluffier, and flatter. Since they resemble muffins, these cream cheese frosting topped cupcakes are perfectly acceptable for breakfast. Hey, cream cheese is a breakfast food too!!

As I was saying, these gorgeous blueberry cupcakes are light, fluffy, and ultra soft. Very buttery and bursting of juicy berries throughout. I went a little heavy on the blueberries because I wanted them in every single bite. I also add a little extra vanilla and a dash of fresh lemon zest. Both additions really add something extra.

The combination of sweet blueberries, sweet vanilla, buttery cake, and lemon zest is out of this world! They are the perfect place for my favorite cream cheese frosting. If you love cream cheese frosting, this is a recipe you need.

Seriously, look how thick and creamy.

Simple Cream Cheese Frosting recipe at - this stuff is the BEST!

I frosted the blueberry cupcakes with my Wilton #12 piping tip, though you could simply slather it on with a knife instead. If cream cheese frosting isn’t your thing, you could try these cupcakes with my strawberry whipped cream or even white chocolate frosting.

These blueberries ‘n cream cupcakes are perfect for spring and summertime. Though by using frozen blueberries you could make them year round! Trust me, after one taste – you’ll want to make them every chance you get.

Blueberries 'n Cream Cupcakes

Yield: 14 cupcakes

Prep Time: 25 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes, plus cooling

These super moist cupcakes are bursting with vanilla, juicy blueberries, and a hint a lemon. Top them with lush cream cheese frosting and they'll soon be a new favorite!

• 1 and 2/3 cup (210g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup (100g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup (62g) yogurt or sour cream (Greek or regular yogurt are fine)
  • 3/4 cup (180ml) milk1
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons lemon zest
  • 1 and 1/3 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw if using frozen)

Cream Cheese Frosting

• 8 oz (224g) full-fat brick style cream cheese, softened to room temperature2
  • 1/4 cup (60g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 2 cups (240g) confectioners' sugar
  • 1-2 Tablespoons (15-30ml) heavy cream or milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two muffin pans with cupcake liners (this recipe makes 14 cupcakes, so there will be two batches). Set aside.
  2. Make the cupcakes: In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together until combined. Set aside. In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter. Whisk in the granulated and brown sugars. Mixture will be thick. Vigorously whisk the egg, yogurt, milk, vanilla, and lemon zest until combined and uniform in texture. Slowly whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until no lumps remain. Gently fold in the blueberries.
  3. Divide batter among 14 cupcake liners and bake in batches for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool.
  4. Make the frosting: In a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the confectioners’ sugar and 1 Tbsp cream. Beat for 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and 1 more Tbsp cream if needed to thin out. Beat for 1 minute. Taste the frosting and add a pinch of salt if too sweet. Frost cooled cupcakes immediately before serving. I used a Wilton #12 tip to pipe the frosting, but you can simple frost with a knife. Decorate with more blueberries if desired.
  5. Unfrosted cupcakes remain fresh covered tightly at room temperature for 3 days. Store frosted cupcakes in the refrigerator for up to 2 days and allow to come to room temperature before serving.
  6. Make ahead tip: Prepare cupcakes and frosting 1 day in advance. Keep cupcakes covered tightly at room temperature and the frosting covered tightly in the refrigerator. Unfrosted cupcakes can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before frosting and serving.

1. Recipe tested with unsweetened almond milk and skim milk. Use any milk, dairy or non, that you prefer.
  2. Use brick-style cream cheese. Not cream cheese spread.

For mini cupcakes: bake for 10-12 minutes.

For a single layer cake: this is essentially the same recipe as my easy funfetti cake recipe. Use the same baking pan, oven temperature, and baking time as that recipe.

Try my Blueberries ‘n Cream Danish next!

Blueberries Cream Danish Pastry Braid

See more cupcake recipes.

And many more cupcake recipes!

You HAVE to try these amazing Blueberries 'n Cream Cupcakes! They are fluffy, moist, and bursting with flavor!

127 Responses to “Blueberries ‘n Cream Cupcakes.”

Sarahposted May 2, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Hi Sally! I saw your took my comment down. I really love your recipes I was just honestly trying to figure out where I went wrong with this one since mine didn’t turn out :( any suggestions? My batter was too runny…. I was thinking maybe bc I completely melted the butter for the cake part instead if just softening it? What do you think?

• Sallyreplied on May 5th, 2014 at 9:28 am

Hi Sarah! This post is new and I posted it as I was leaving for vacation and didn’t have access to my blog. This batter calls for melted butter, not creamed butter. Are you sure you measured your flour properly or didn’t miss any other ingredients? The batter should be slightly thick.

Laura Dembowskiposted May 4, 2014 at 8:40 am

I’ll happily take one of these for breakfast :). I’m so glad blueberries are back in season to make treats like this.

Jaclynposted May 4, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I love blueberry cupcakes. Yours look so dreamy! Love your photos!

meenalposted May 6, 2014 at 8:12 pm

Hey sally,I love ur recipes n ur blog.tried your blueberry coffee cake and jumbo choc chip muffins.both were fantastic and so easy.feels gr8 to have found your blog.totally addicted to it☺ much tht iv started stocking buttermilk in my pantry these days..! You have the most amazing and wonderful space n recipies that never fail..! had 2 questions here: can I replace the milk and yoghurt together by 1 Cup buttermilk.?.Also,for an orange flavour,would it work if some of the milk(buttermilk) is replaced with orange juice..?if yes,then how mch?will also add som orange zest.pls suggest.thanks in advance.☺

• Sallyreplied on May 6th, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Hi Meenal! Yes, 1 total cup buttermilk can work here. I suggest only 1/4 orange juice with 3/4 cup buttermilk if you care to add the OJ. And add as much orange zest as you like – maybe at least 2 Tablespoons.

Raquelposted May 6, 2014 at 10:07 pm

These look beautiful and delicious, you can’t go wrong with blueberry.

honeyletteposted May 7, 2014 at 2:54 am

hi sally! i’ve tried making blueberry cupcakes several times but they always come out soggy. i’m excited to try your recipe but i only have blueberries in syrup. should i adjust the sugar in your recipe or just follow the measurements as it is? thanks!

• Sallyreplied on May 7th, 2014 at 1:59 pm

The blueberries in syrup are what make the cupcakes soggy, you’ll need fresh or frozen individual blueberries for this recipe.

Kimposted May 7, 2014 at 11:20 pm

Made these today, with a fussy, nap striking nine-month-old (which I say only to highlight how not difficult this recipe is to follow – par for the course with Sally’s recipes). Such a great recipe! Easy to follow, straight-forward, amazing results. Seriously. My husband is not, at all, a dessert guy, but he gave them two thumbs way, way up. Thanks for another winner, lady!

PS. Your cookbook is (FINALLY!) on order. I can’t wait to get it and I suspect I will be ordering at least one more before the summer ends (my MIL is an outstanding baker and will probably need this book for her birthday)!

Audreeposted May 8, 2014 at 3:32 am

Is it possible to make this into a 9″ diameter cake? Would the recipe have to be doubled? What would the baking time be?

• Sallyreplied on May 8th, 2014 at 8:44 am

Hi Audree – yes, no, about 30-36 minutes. Enjoy!

Jasonposted May 8, 2014 at 8:51 am

You have one lucky husband!

I made your lemon blueberry cake about a month or so ago and it was beyond fabulous. My mother taught me to bake when I was young and always made my own birthday cake, angel food from scratch. It had been a while since I had baked anything and thought I would show my wife of 6 years what I could do, thus the lemon blueberry cake. Needless to say she loved it and the cream cheese frosting is beyond words. Well she’s going to school and needed cupcakes for class this weekend and it looks like these cupcakes are mini’s of the lemon blueberry cake, can’t wait to make them and try the results.

Thank you so much for this amazing website and don’t forget to tell your husband how lucky he is!

Claudia Roitmanposted May 9, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Hello Sally I am definitely making these for Mother’s Day Bruch this sunday! they look so exquisite! That is a shame that I only can get dried blueberries in my country I truly love blueberries! I have a question, I am totally in love with your pink spout bowl, which brand is it? or where can I find it because I have been looking for a pink bowl like that and had no luck at all! I love all of your recipes and today I felt like baking healthy muffins and I baked your banana raspberry chocolate healthy muffins.. OMG they are delish! I added two extra TBSP of homemade coconut butter and they are truly amazing. All of your recipes as well as your blog is inspiring. Regards!

• Sallyreplied on May 10th, 2014 at 11:13 am

Hi Claudia! My pink bowls are by KitchenAid. I love them! Love those banana raspberry chocolate chip muffins so much.

Judyposted May 11, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Loving the looks of the blueberry recipes especially! Everything looks so yummy!

carol gatbaliteposted May 30, 2014 at 8:33 am

Hi! Just want to say…. i love all your recipes.They are really delicious.

Aurelposted June 4, 2014 at 8:25 am

Hi sally! I REALLY wanna know how do you frost this cupcake?because it looks so darling and adorable, and do you use the same technique for your gingerbread cupcake? I love both of their looks! Thank you :)

• Sallyreplied on June 4th, 2014 at 10:23 am

Thanks! I used a Wilton #12 piping tip for both.

Kellyposted June 8, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Will this cream cheese frosting hold op a big swirl with a Wilton 1 M tip? I’ve had bad experiences with cream cheese frostings being runny! Yours seems thick and able to hold up. How long can it stay out you think since it’s for red velvet cupcakes for a big party. Also will this frosting be ok for red velvet, or might it be too sweet? Hope to here from you soon :)
    BTW I Got your book for my birthday from my husband, love it!!

• Sallyreplied on June 8th, 2014 at 7:28 pm

Hey Kelly! Happy you enjoy my book! And happy belated birthday. I find that this frosting isn’t good for the swirl tip, but better for a “shapeless” tip like the round one I use (Wilton #12). A few hours at room temperature is fine.

Bloga Mommaposted June 20, 2014 at 10:47 am

Wow!! These look amazing. I love the combo of blueberry and lemon together. I made some similar cupcakes this week – but they didn’t turn out nearly as perfect as these look.

Aurelposted July 7, 2014 at 8:21 am

Hi sally!! One question, where do you store frosted cupcakes? I heard that we may not store cupcakes in the fridge because it’ll go hard and tough?

• Sallyreplied on July 7th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

It depends on the recipe – I like to store these covered in the refrigerator because of the cream cheese frosting.

Lauren S.posted July 24, 2014 at 10:57 pm

Hi Sally, I follow you and Pinterest and really enjoy your dessert recipes I’ve made so far! I’ve unfortunately had a consistent problem every time I frost my cupcakes. I bought a piping bag and set of tips and want to create cupcakes with that sky-high, picturesque frosting topping that you have in your recipe photos. I’ve followed the recipes diligently and have even let the frosting sit for an hour or so to firm up. However, when I go to frost them, the frosting falls flat. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? Suggestions or tips? Thanks for your insight!

• Sallyreplied on July 25th, 2014 at 7:52 am

Hey Lauren! You could be overbeating your frosting. Also, try to add a little more confectioners’ sugar so it holds up better (add a pinch of salt to offset sweetness). Are you in a very hot environment? Weather could also be the issue.

Teriposted July 26, 2014 at 10:57 am

Hi Sally, I made your blueberries and cream cupcakes for the 1st time yesterday. I brought them to a friend’s house for dessert and everyone raved! All loved the rich icing and lemon zest in the cake. I am NOT a baker but I am now going to try to bake because your other recipes look simple, delicious and fun! Kudos to you!

Carolposted August 1, 2014 at 1:43 am

Hi! These look fantastic. I was wondering if the batter can be made ahead and frozen, then defrosted for quick use at a later time?

• Sallyreplied on August 1st, 2014 at 8:30 am

Hi Carol – no, this cupcake batter cannot be frozen. It must be baked right away.

kellyposted August 6, 2014 at 6:14 pm

Hi, I was wondering on the flour measuring. Do you shift the flour first before measuring or no shifting

• Sallyreplied on August 7th, 2014 at 7:05 am

I do not sift the flour, though I do weigh it to make sure the quantity is accurate.

Claireposted August 22, 2014 at 11:54 pm

Oh my gosh just made these today for my cousin’s going away party and everybody loved them. Thanks for another brilliant and delicious recipe! :)

Angelposted September 7, 2014 at 6:33 am

Hi! I love your recipes and can’t wait to try this one. Can I use brown sugar instead of light brown sugar?

• Sallyreplied on September 7th, 2014 at 11:35 am

Light brown sugar is brown sugar. I prefer it in this cupcake recipe as opposed to dark brown sugar, which has a stronger molasses taste.

PJposted September 25, 2014 at 2:43 am

Made these today and my 18 month daughter loved them.

The cupcakes turned out really nice. However, I made few tweaks – substituted butter with oil and didn’t add egg. But still the cupcakes were super moist and yummy!

Thanks Sally!

charmaineposted October 9, 2014 at 11:07 am

do we have to put to lemon zest in ???

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 7:46 pm

You may leave it out.

charmaineposted October 12, 2014 at 1:23 am

Hi Sally! I am now baking but don’t have cake flour……. can I use plain flour instead….?? Please reply now…

• Sallyreplied on October 12th, 2014 at 6:22 pm

Hi Charmaine, this recipe uses all-purpose flour.

Roanposted October 31, 2014 at 4:29 am

Hi Sally! can I use canned blueberry? its hard to find fresh or frozen blueberries here in the Philippines :(

Stacyposted November 26, 2014 at 7:29 am

Hi Mrs. Sally!!

I am so excited to make these cupcakes, but I read that this recipe needs 2 teaspoons lemon zest. What should I do with the zest-less lemon? I know this sounds like a silly question but I don’t know I would do with it. I know that I can mix some of the lemon juice with milk and create homemade buttermilk, but could you perhaps suggest something that requires lemon juice only? I feel so embarrassed to ask such a silly question T^T thank you for the wonderful recipe!!!! <3

• Sallyreplied on November 26th, 2014 at 8:19 am

I’m not sure I know what you mean. Do you not have a zester? If not, you may leave the zest out– it’s really just to add a touch of flavor to the blueberry cupcakes.

• Stacyreplied on November 26th, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Oh, sorry for being unclear. ^_^; what I meant was after I zested my lemon, and after adding the zest to the cupcake batter, what should I do with the leftover lemon (the guy that has no skin/zest now…)? 😀 hope that this question makes a bit more sense now =D

Stephanieposted December 29, 2014 at 10:28 pm

If I used this recipe to make a cake instead of cupcakes, what size pan would you recommend?

• Sallyreplied on December 30th, 2014 at 8:47 am

Hi Stephanie! See my note in the recipe. You’ll need a 9-inch springform pan OR a 9×2 round cake pan.

yrposted January 16, 2015 at 3:28 am

Hi Sally, tried the recipe a few times but my cupcakes are always dense and look uncooked. Appreciate any advice from your end :) thanks!

Stephanie Rposted February 3, 2015 at 9:10 pm

This recipe was Super easy to follow and the cupcakes came out great!! I measured out all of the ingredients and let a Toddler do all of the mixing so it was a team effort. Thanks so much for sharing!

Amy Arringtonposted April 7, 2015 at 9:54 am

Hi Sally, just wondering if I could blend the blueberries before adding, my daughter loves blueberries but would prefer not to have the big pieces in there.

• Sallyreplied on April 7th, 2015 at 11:20 am

That would be fine.

Carissaposted April 29, 2015 at 1:57 pm

Could I add lemon juice to the batter in addition to the lemon zest? I’m going to add a basil buttercream frosting and want to make sure the lemon flavor can be clearly tasted in the cupcake itself – thank you!

• Sallyreplied on April 30th, 2015 at 12:05 pm

You can reduce the milk by a couple Tbsp and add lemon juice.

• Carissareplied on April 30th, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Thank you so much!

Laurenposted June 8, 2015 at 11:25 pm

So whenever I make frosting, the frosting kind of melts after a while. How do I avoid this?

• Sallyreplied on June 9th, 2015 at 11:29 am

Any frosting or just this frosting? Are you using brick-style cream cheese or cream cheese spread? I recommend keeping frosting cool. This helps prevent melting.

Meaganposted September 11, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Hi Sally!

I have been using your recipes since I came across your chocolate rolo stuffed cookies with sea salt! (my go-to when I need a chocolate fix)

I’ve made these cupcakes before and they came out perfectly. However, this time they dropped and sunk and look sad. The only thing I did differently was adding purple food coloring. They are for my nieces birthday and purple is her favorite color. I followed your “Baking Basic measuring instructions” as well.

Any tips?

• Sallyreplied on September 12th, 2015 at 9:18 am

How much coloring did you add? I can’t imagine that being the issue though since I’m sure you used only a drop or two. Do you think they are underbaked? Did you open/close the oven often while they were baking? Can you cover it up with frosting? Ahh! So strange since that’s never happened to me AND you when you’ve made them before.

Margotposted October 31, 2015 at 12:44 pm

Hello Sally !
    I have one question : will using margarine instead of butter affect the way the frosting turns out?

• Sallyreplied on October 31st, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Yes. And the result won’t be pretty! Use butter.

Dani Conleyposted November 14, 2015 at 5:42 pm

These were my husband’s favorite cupcakes! He is not much a sweets person so it definitely made my day! Very easy to make and the lemon in them really pops! I added some salt to the cream cheese frosting to mellow out the sweetness (I added too much butter so I had to add extra pow sugar to get it to harden up a bit). Thanks for all the great recipes, Sally. I am eagerly waiting for Christmas where I have a feeling your latest and greatest cookbook will be under my tree 😀