Vanilla Almond Granola.

Ditch store-bought, healthy homemade granola is easy!

I’m a little granola obsessed. Can’t get enough of it, any which way. Apple, pumpkin, and especially when it tastes like peanut butter cups. (!!!)

Homemade granola may be boring to some people, but it is actually one of my favorite things to munch on. I can say no to Doritos and french fries. Sometimes. But fruity, nutty, crunchy granola? My self control never stands a chance.

Ditch store-bought, healthy homemade granola is easy!

The other day I came home from running 5 miles (for my 100 mile goal this month – am I crazy?) and craved crunchy carbs like a mad woman. I had quite the interesting array of ingredients and flavorings in the pantry and decided homemade granola was on the menu.

Today’s crunchy granola recipe is filled with so much flavor… it’s sort of a mish-mash of my post workout cravings. Aromatic vanilla, pure maple, almond, and cinnamon merge together bite after bite. This stuff is seriously the best.

Ditch store-bought, healthy homemade granola is easy!

Have you ever read the ingredient list on a bag of store-bought granola? Just… don’t. It’s scary. I don’t recognize half of the ingredients! What are “polyglycerol fatty acids” and why are they in my bowl of granola? No thank you.

When I make homemade granola, I like to focus on whole, natural things. Healthy foods without a bunch of excess sugar and foods that I can actually pronounce.

You only need 7 ingredients to make this granola. And they’re all foods you likely have in the pantry right now. Start with some cinnamon, oats, and almonds. I used honey roasted sliced almonds that I found at Trader Joes – have you ever tried them? Regular sliced or chopped almonds would be just fine instead.

(Those honey roasted almonds make incredible homemade almond butter.)

Ditch store-bought, healthy homemade granola is easy!

The wet ingredients are what make the granola so sticky, crunchy, and cluster-filled… aka GOOD. A little pure maple syrup to sweeten, some melted coconut oil for richness and crunch, and vanilla + almond extracts for flavor. I use a light hand when adding the almond extract because that stuff is potent! But in this recipe, it isn’t too strong– just a nice undertone to enhance the vanilla flavor and give the granola that something special.

I love this vanilla almond granola not only for the sweet flavors, but because it is so light tasting. Which is a little dangerous because I feel I could eat the entire batch in one sitting. Sort of contradicts the whole idea of it being a healthier breakfast option, right?!

I did practice some self control – this stuff lasted 3 whole days! New record.

Ditch store-bought, healthy homemade granola is easy!

So ditch the pricy, sugar-laden store bought granola! I swear, that stuff has more sugar in it than a candy bar. With homemade granola, you have complete control over the healthy ingredients. Now dive into a bowl of these naturally sweetened, nutty clusters!

Vanilla Almond Granola

Yield: 2-3 cups

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes, plus cooling

Sweet, sticky, and crunchy granola exploding with vanilla and almond flavors. Ditch store-bought, healthy homemade granola is easy! This recipe is vegan and gluten free (if using certified GF oats).

• 2 and 1/2 cups (200g) old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup (100g) slivered almonds1
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • pinch salt (about 1/8 teaspoon)
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) melted coconut oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (yes, Tablespoon)

1. Preheat oven to 300F degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
  2. Toss the oats, almonds, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the maple syrup and coconut oil together until combined. Whisk in the almond and vanilla extracts. Pour over the oats and toss to coat. Make sure all of the oats are moistened.
  3. Spread onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Allow granola to cool completely - the air will help the granola obtain a crunchy texture.
  4. Make ahead tip: Granola is the perfect recipe to make ahead because it stays fresh for so long. Store this in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.

1. I used honey roasted slivered almonds that I found at Trader Joe's - they're delicious! If you use honey roasted almonds, the granola will no longer be vegan.

Try my Banana Nutella Granola next… it will magically disappear.

Banana Nutella Granola-3

See more tasty, healthy granola recipes.

See more vegan recipes.

See more gluten free recipes.

This crunchy Vanilla Almond Granola is exploding with flavor! So simple to make too.

193 Responses to “Vanilla Almond Granola.”

hollyposted February 23, 2015 at 8:49 pm

hi!!! i can’t wait to try this, but i don’t have any coconut oil. is there a sub we can use instead?

• Sallyreplied on February 24th, 2015 at 1:35 pm

canola or vegetable oil or melted butter.

Robinposted March 13, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I made a half batch of this granola and it was awesome! It seemed a little dark to me and I’m not sure if I should have cut down on the bake time for the half batch? Also, mine did not have any clusters in it and I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to get some clusters in it. And finally, I was wondering what your favorite granola recipe is on your site so that I can try that next! Thanks :)

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Hi Robin, yes I suggest cutting down on the bake time if making a half batch– I never have, but I can imagine this time being way too long for a small batch. For more clusters, reduce oil by 1 Tablespoon and add a beaten egg white. Sticky egg whites help make clusters.

• Robinreplied on March 20th, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Thanks for the tips. Can recommend your favorite granola recipe of yours for me to try next? Thanks!

Simoneposted March 13, 2015 at 8:49 pm

hi Sally, I’m reading your blog from Jamaica and I’m totally blown away by your healthy recipes. Amazingly, you now regularly have me in the kitchen baking with my daughter. This granola is so delicious I almost can’t believe it. Thanks very much for sharing it!

• Sallyreplied on March 14th, 2015 at 2:37 pm

So sweet. Thanks Simone!

Diane in NCposted March 23, 2015 at 5:49 pm

For Christmas, I gave away jars of this along with spice cake, banana bread, chocolate cake with peppermint buttercream frosting, sugar cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and Chex mix to all my coworkers. The granola was by far the most popular item. They loved the other items too; but, gave rave reviews for the granola and several have asked for the recipe. I love it too. I’m making more tonight and thought I would pop in and let you know there are even more people who loved it.

• Diane in NCreplied on March 23rd, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Oh, I was going to mention, I had been resisting making anything with coconut oil because I absolutely hate coconut. I was afraid it would overwhelm the flavors and I wouldn’t like it. Obviously, since I said I loved it, that’s not a problem. We don’t buy packaged cookies anymore and haven’t in years. Previously, I could take one bite from a cookie and tell you if coconut oil was used in it (I’m looking at you Chips Ahoy). The point being, I’m so glad I took the chance.

• Sallyreplied on March 23rd, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Thanks Diane! I’m so happy the granola was such a hit and that you love it too!

Moniqueposted March 28, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Just tried this and… EXCELLENT… I will be making granola every week from this day forth. Your recipes will be my inspiration. It’s not too sweet.
    I don’t have maple syrup so I used honey and also I added half cup raw sunflower seeds and half cup whole flax seeds…more crunch and I’m addicted to flax seeds.

Graceposted March 31, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Hi Sally! I made this granola recipe today and I don’t know what happened. I made a few changes, I used honey in place of maple and walnuts in place of almonds. Oh I also used foax vanilla because that’s what I had on hand. But it smelled wonderful for the first 20 mins then at 25 mins it started to burn and I have no idea why. I was stirring it at the 15 min marks like you said and I also had my oven at 300 degrees. I also used a dark sheet pan lined with parchment paper. I don’t know if that would make a difference though. What kind of sheet did you use? If you have the time I would love to hear your input because I really want to try it again! Thanks so much!

-Love Grace

• Sallyreplied on March 31st, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Hi Grace– try baking it on a light colored sheet if you have one. Or, lower the baking temperature to about 275. This should help.

• Gracereplied on April 1st, 2015 at 9:44 am

Thanks so much Sally! I will let you know how the next batch turns out! :)

Jodiposted April 12, 2015 at 8:52 pm

This stuff was amazing! As always, thank you for the fabulous recipe Sally!!

Lauraposted April 13, 2015 at 11:01 am

I just made this granola last night (actually it was my first time making homemade granola, period) and it turned out amazing! Followed the recipe exactly, except used canola oil in place of coconut oil as we were out. It is SO good…I will never buy store bought granola again! Thanks for the awesome recipe! Cheers :)

Graceposted April 19, 2015 at 2:21 am

Hi Sally – I’m planning to make this granola to sell at a bake sale later this week. When stored in an airtight container, how long will it last for? I’m also thinking of adding dried fruits in after I’ve baked it – will the shelf life remain the same?

• Sallyreplied on April 19th, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Adding dried fruit is OK. Granola remains fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 weeks.

karen marieposted April 21, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Oh, vanilla almond granola, how do I love thee?

I do not know how I have survived without this stuff. I have my tenth batch in the oven right now. It is soooo good. I add also about 3/4 cup of unsweetened coconut to the oat mixture, and today, after it has cooled, I will be adding dried cherries and pineapple. Even my brother likes it!

DTposted May 1, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I made this replacing half of the almond silvers with pistachio and using vegetable oil instead of coconut oil.. delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe Sally. :)

Emma {Emma's Little Kitchen}posted May 6, 2015 at 5:06 pm

I made a batch this afternoon- FABULOUS! Can’t wait to gobble it up for breakfast tomorrow…!

Changposted May 13, 2015 at 5:19 am

Hi Sally! Tried making this and I can’t stop munching on it! May I know what’s the reason of my granola sticking onto the parchment paper after cooling down? Shall I grease it next time before putting into the oven? Or shall I take all out from the pan once out of the oven? Thanks a lot fro the great recipe!,!

• Sallyreplied on May 13th, 2015 at 8:35 am

Hmm. I’ve never had that issue on my parchment. Trying lightly greasing it, yes.

• Changreplied on May 13th, 2015 at 10:00 am

Thanks so much for your fast reply!! I am loving all your skinny recipes and trying to conquer one by one! Thanks again!

Jamiposted May 17, 2015 at 9:33 am

Hi! I love this recipe, but I want to make cookies or bars out of it (something for on the go!).  Any suggestions on how to make bars from this recipe?

Pattyposted May 30, 2015 at 10:57 am

I have been making this for a few months now.   Delicious!   Also using TJ slivered almonds.  It barely lasts a week before I have to make more.  Especially like in yogurt with blueberries.  YUM

lildeadzonegirlposted May 31, 2015 at 11:22 am

Ladies, for all who have been asking, I’d be careful about munching on the ENTIRE recipe in one sitting. According to the ENTIRE recipe contains 2715 overall calories.

• lildeadzonegirlreplied on May 31st, 2015 at 11:28 am

Although, I still can’t wait to try it. :) I will make sure to stay in portion control.

• lildeadzonegirlreplied on June 20th, 2015 at 8:56 am

I finally committed to making this. It didn’t take long at all. I did make a few changes. My husband doesn’t like cinnamon, so I halved it and doubled up on the almond extract. Also, in a half cup, I mixed honey and maple syrup as I didn’t have a full half cup of either. I baked at 275°. It turned out sooo good. I’m finding it difficult not to spoon it on absolutely everything. If your are feeling really indulgent, try it on salted caramel ice cream. Mmmmmmmm. Thanks Sally for all the encouragement you’ve given everyone to simply experiment.

Snehaposted June 28, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Can I make this groanola into a bar?

Saraposted July 3, 2015 at 12:40 am

I was on the hunt for a great, healthy-ish granola recipes. Honestly, when I came across this I was pretty hesitant. It just didn’t sound all that exciting. But since I’ve LOVED every recipe from you (and that’s a lot) I gave it a shot. And I am so glad I did. I made a batch two days ago & I’m already making my second! Mahalo for the share!

• Sallyreplied on July 3rd, 2015 at 6:37 am

Glad you love it!

Aryn Bakerposted July 4, 2015 at 10:01 pm

This looks amazing! Coconut oil and vanilla are some of my favorite baking flavors! I can’t wait to try this :)

Chiaraposted July 18, 2015 at 6:11 am

Searched for ages for a decent granola recipe bt this one is amazingly delicous ! everyone loved it! but how could i bake it so i can make granola bars ? thanks :)

Katieposted July 22, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Hi Sally – Just a quick comment. I tried clicking on “see more tasty, healthy granola recipes” and it appears to be a broken link.  I’d love to see your other granola concoctions!

• Sallyreplied on July 22nd, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Should work now, Katie! Thank you so much for letting me know.

• Katiereplied on July 23rd, 2015 at 9:56 am

Thanks Sally!

Shariceposted July 23, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I just barely made this and am eating it now!! SOOO good!  This is only the 2nd homemade granola recipe I’ve ever made, and it is definitely one to make again! I’m so excited to eat this in my vanilla greek yogurt tomorrow morning.  I really love the addition of the almond extract, I can taste that faint hint in here and it’s yummy.  And mine seemed to clump together pretty well, so that is a bonus! Thanks for a great recipe.

Janet Rposted August 6, 2015 at 4:30 pm

This is my GO-TO recipe for granola! We all love it! I even add 1/2-3/4 cup of coconut and 1/2 cup of Craisins. We usually like it with vanilla yogurt but you should try it with cottage cheese!

Lisaposted August 20, 2015 at 11:40 am

I just took this out of the oven 10 minutes ago and I honestly cannot leave it alone!  I will be surprised if there is any left to even cool down and put in a jar!  Even before it went in the oven the bowl had been licked!  Seriously, this is absolutely fantastic.  The kitchen smells dreamy and this granola is truly wonderful.  Thank you so much!  I am going to have it with chopped dried cherries and dried pears and soya yogurt.  Thanks!  I am in love.

Sydneyposted August 22, 2015 at 5:00 pm

I added chia seeds for an extra energy punch. I tripled the recipe and then put some in canning jars and the rest in the freezer. That way, I’ll have granola ready to go with my yogurt for breakfast before school.

Lynposted September 8, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Made this today exactly as called for and it is awesome.  I need to make this for my daughter and her best friend to take back with them to college, they are going to go crazy over this.  I have a feeling I will be making this a lot.  Thanks for the great recipe!

Sara Foxposted September 24, 2015 at 5:32 pm

SMELLS AMAZING! Quick question, what’s the texture supposed to be like? Mine came out soft instea of crunchy. My husband says granola is supposed to be soft… But I always assume he’s wrong when It comes to the kitchen! What’s your take? :) also, I substituted agave nectar for maple syrup! Could that have been the mistake?

• Sallyreplied on September 24th, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Ha! The granola should be crunchy– and a little more time in the oven will help. The agave nectar wouldn’t make a difference.