Soft Pretzel Bites.

Chewy & soft pretzel bites served with a kickin’ cheese dip are the ultimate comfort food and party snack. You won’t be able to stop reaching for bite after bite!

Soft Pretzel Bites with Spicy Cheese Dip by

Your self control doesn’t stand a chance!

If it’s not the buttery soft pretzel bites killing every ounce of self control you have, it is most certainly my spicy cheese sauce. That stuff is like liquid gold. I apologize for doing this to you in the beginning of the week, but I really can’t help myself.

Soft Pretzel Bites with Spicy Cheese Sauce - this recipe is so simple. And the cheese sauce is to die for!

I don’t think you realize how easy it is to make soft pretzels at home. Have your own Auntie Anne’s right inside your kitchen with my easy 30 minute soft pretzel recipe. Easy to make? Yes. Carb overload? Worth it.

This simple soft pretzel recipe comes from Kevin’s family. A Quinn family specialty. Kevin said he and his family made these easy soft pretzels almost every weekend when he was growing up. The soft pretzel recipe is so legendary that I coated them in cinnamon sugar and put the recipe in my cookbook. Cinnamon sugar pretzels are all I crave on the weekends, so yeah. They’re certainly a staple in my kitchen.

But instead of sweet, we’re focusing on savory today. Salty, doughy, buttery bites of heaven. Serve them with honey mustard or my spicy cheese sauce that I obviously can’t stop talking about.

I apologize, pretzel dough is ugly:

How To Make Soft Pretzel Bites - get the full recipe at

It’s a simple 4 step process. Make the soft pretzel dough, roll and cut, dump in a baking soda bath, and bake. Don’t skip the baking soda bath! Here’s why: a quick dip into boiling water and baking soda is what will give your pretzels that wonderfully authentic golden-brown pretzel color. Not only that, but the baking soda bath is what gives them their chewy exteriors and soft fluffy centers.

It’s an essential step to soft pretzel bite making.

Basically, all you do is boil a bunch of water and baking soda together. Working with about 8-10 pretzel bites at a time, drop them in the boiling water, let them soak for about 20 seconds, and remove. This is a quick, yet very imperative step. Look at their beautiful golden brown color:

I’ll take a dozen right now, please.

So… let’s discuss this cheese sauce. A kicked up, lipsmackin’ version. Nothing processed, nothing scarily-orange… just pure creamy, melty cheese waiting to be devoured. It’s so good with veggies like cooked broccoli and raw sliced peppers. Because if you’re going to unhealth-ify vegetables, do it with cheese.

Butter, flour, whole milk, cheddar cheese. Add some spice, salt, and pepper and call it a (delicious) day. For an even more kicked-up version, try subbing half of the cheddar cheese for pepper jack. By the way, pretzel bites and veggies are just serving suggestions. Feel free to eat it with a spoon. “Taste testing” is what I call it.

Kickin' Cheddar Cheese Dipping Sauce - it's like liquid gold! Get the recipe at

I made these for a few friends who stopped by our new house and they disappeared before I could actually show them around the new house. Cheese and pretzels are always the answer, trust me.

Soft Pretzel Bites

Yield: 5 dozen

Total Time: 2 hours

Chewy & soft pretzel bites served with a kickin' cheese dip is the ultimate comfort food and party snack. You won't be able to stop reaching for bite after bite!

• 1 and 1/2 cups (300ml) warm water (lukewarm, no need to take temperature)
  • 1 packet Red Star Platinum instant yeast (2 and 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 Tablespoon (8g) packed light brown sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon (15g) unsalted butter, previously melted and not scorching hot
  • 3.75 - 4.25 cups (470- 530g) all-purpose flour + more for the counter surface to knead (measured correctly)
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • coarse sea salt for sprinkling
  • Kicked-Up Cheddar Cheese Sauce for serving

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir with a spoon until fairly mixed, about 1 minute. Some clusters of yeast may remain. Add salt, sugar, and melted butter; stir until fairly combined. Slowly add 3 cups of flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix with a wooden spoon (or dough hook attached to stand mixer) until dough is thick. Add 3/4 cup more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. If it is still sticky, add up to 1/4 cup more. Poke the dough with your finger - if it bounces back, it is ready to knead.
  2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead the dough for about 3 minutes and shape into a ball. Place in a large mixing bowl that has been lightly coated with nonstick spray. Cover and let the dough rest in a warm area for about 10 minutes.
  3. Preheat oven to 425°F (218°C). Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
  4. With a sharp knife, cut ball of dough into 6 sections. Roll the dough into six 20-inch long ropes. Cut the rope into 1.5 inch pieces to make bites.
  5. Boil 9 cups of water with the baking soda. Make sure it is rapidly boiling. Drop 8-10 pretzel bites into water and let sit for 20 seconds. Remove with a spatula and place onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure the bites aren't touching.
  6. Brush beaten egg over each pretzel bite. Sprinkle with sea salt. Bake batches for 15 minutes each, or until golden brown.
  7. Remove from oven and serve with cheese sauce or honey mustard. Pretzel bites remain fresh for up to 3 days in an airtight container, though they will lose some softness.
  8. Make ahead/Freezing: For freezing, the prepared pretzel dough (or shaped dough) can be refrigerated for up to one day or frozen in an airtight container for three months. Thaw frozen dough in the refrigerator overnight. Refrigerated dough can be shaped into pretzels while still cold, but allow some extra time for the pretzels to puff up before the baking soda bath and baking. Baked pretzel bites freeze well for up to 3 months. Thaw and reheat in the oven at 300°F (149°C) until warm.

A few more recipes you have to try…

Pumpkin Praline Soft Pretzels (totally a year round treat)

Pumpkin Praline Soft Pretzels

Mom’s Seasoned Pretzels

Seasoned Pretzels. An easy, addicting salty snack everyone will love. Recipe at

The BEST Homemade Caramel Corn

Homemade Caramel Corn - sticky, salty, sweet, and irresistible!

More savory recipes.

More snack recipes.

Easy Soft Pretzel Bites by

133 Responses to “Soft Pretzel Bites.”

PlatinumDaisyposted July 27, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Made these and they were a HIT!! Thank you! I skipped the egg wash due to my little guy’s egg allergy and was nervous that it would ruin them, but they turned out GREAT! Thanks again!

Loupinet TOUTENCROCSposted August 5, 2014 at 8:03 am

I tested this recipe and I really liked it. So delicious!
    I published it on my blog.Thank you for sharing your recipes.

Drakkinaposted August 21, 2014 at 5:24 pm

This sounds awesome and I cant wait to try it, but I was wondering. If you wanted to make them into shapes to make it more fun for the little ones to eat, is there a specific way to do that?

• Sallyreplied on August 22nd, 2014 at 2:32 pm

I’m sure that would work, but I’ve never tried it. Hope everyone enjoys!

Catposted August 27, 2014 at 3:51 pm

I made this recipe at the weekend and it was amazing! I love pretzels but this is the first time I have made them. It was great to not have to worry about making the dough into the usual pretzel shape. They tasted so great and I was very happy. Thank you for another great recipe!

Jenposted September 4, 2014 at 7:00 pm

Made these for a memorial service. Perfect finger food snack. Chewy, carby, goodness….and don’t get me started on the delicious cheese sauce. While my hubby is happy with plastic based processed sauces…I prefer the real thing, and this sauce delivers!

Michele O.posted September 14, 2014 at 6:50 am

I took these to a tailgate last night and they were a hit! I didn’t have time for the cheese sauce but they were delicious with just a really nice mustard. My boys were so disappointed there weren’t any to bring home. They have requested I make more of these and your red velvet cookies for their lunches. They never agree on anything so you are now the hero of our kitchen! I love that you give weights for your dry ingredients. It makes baking so much easier. Thank you!

Jessicaposted September 19, 2014 at 12:27 pm

Thanks for posting this! How long do you think these would keep? We’re tailgating tomorrow and I thought I would make these in the morning and then it’s @ an 1.5 hour drive to the game. Should I make these or come up with something else?

• Sallyreplied on September 22nd, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Hi Jessica, I apologize for the delay responding. These keep well for about 3 days.

Alexiposted September 27, 2014 at 3:07 am

I’m very excited to try these! My grocery store sells these huge bags of bread dough for 60 cents (!!!) so I’ve been using it for all my yeast recipes lately. Could I do the same here or is there something special about this dough? I see you don’t let it rise at all; would using a risen dough affect the final outcome?

• Sallyreplied on September 28th, 2014 at 3:23 pm

I’m sure that would be fine, but I really can’t say without trying it myself.

Ninaposted October 5, 2014 at 2:34 am

Hi! Quick question. I’ve had these several times and they’re great but I’m doing something wrong I think? They taste amaze but they don’t look pretty or even. If that makes sense. Halp?

Angela DiBlasi`posted October 12, 2014 at 12:57 am

how can i keep them warm at a tailgate party?

• kimreplied on November 5th, 2015 at 3:00 pm

I know this is a late response, but for future readers.  I put them in a crock pot that is already warm.  And they stay good for a couple hours.  These never last long anywhere I take them.

Erika A Fieldsposted October 13, 2014 at 10:23 am

Hi Sally! First, I love everything on your site and in your book, I can’t tell you how many recipes I’ve made of yours, they are all wonderful! However, I cannot get this recipe to work. I’ve tried this and the pumpkin pretzel recipe, both tasted fantastic but looked terrible… In both recipes, I vastly adjusted the flour when when what was called for just wasn’t working. I’ve tried more/less depending on humidity, etc. Do you have any pictures of the rolling/cutting process? I think it would help to know the consistency of your dough. Thanks in advance!

• Sallyreplied on October 16th, 2014 at 4:53 pm

Hi Erika! Thanks so much for the comment – sorry for the late response, I was away on vacation for a couple weeks and I’ve been a little slow to respond to reader questions this week as I get back into work. I have some photos here –

Rolling them into perfectly smooth shapes takes practice. If your dough keeps snapping back and is hard to roll, let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes to relax the gluten. This helps!

Mirandaposted October 25, 2014 at 1:08 pm

I made these last night and every single one stuck to the parchment paper like glue! Any ideas on what went wrong? Are you supposed to grease the parchment paper? I did the boiling step, and definitely wasn’t using wax paper (done that before). They were still good though :)

Laraposted October 26, 2014 at 10:04 am

Hi Sally, these look great! I LOVE making soft pretzels and this sounds like a really easy/quick recipe. I just have one question, it looks like these could be done in about 40 minutes from start to finish, but it says “2 hours total time” am I missing something?? THANKS!!

• Sallyreplied on October 26th, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Hi Lara, I take into account all the batches, all the baking soda baths, as well as making the cheese sauce. Perhaps closer to 1 hour 30 minutes would be a better estimate! Enjoy.

• Larareplied on October 28th, 2014 at 10:23 am

I ended up making these on Sunday and they were FABULOUS. Excellent recipe; thank you!!

Lizposted October 31, 2014 at 12:16 pm

Sally, these look soooo good! We’re having friends over tonight and it seemed like the perfect thing to make. I made the dough last night and put in the fridge to shape, soak, and bake tonight after work and this morning the dough had about tripled in size! Is that what’s supposed to happen (obviously I know that yeast doughs rise, but I’ve never had one rise that much in the fridge before)?

• Sallyreplied on October 31st, 2014 at 5:26 pm

Wow! Well, Liz if it’s not too late – I think the dough will be ok.

Meredithposted November 9, 2014 at 10:30 pm

These were a HUGE hit in my house!! I made them for Sunday football. My husband was so impressed and said it was one of the best things I have made. I was slightly intimidated at the thought of making homemade pretzels but so happy I gave them a try because they were AMAZING!! Thank you for the recipe. Already shared it with a few friends. Love everything I find on here.

Lauraposted December 18, 2014 at 12:10 am

I love that you left make-ahead instructions for the dough! So often missing and so important to know if it is ok or not to make ahead. Can’t wait to see how these turn out!

Cindyposted January 4, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Just made these tonight with my son. They were AHmazing! We lightly basted them with butter when they came out of the oven. Easy to make (the 10 year old did most of the work), and truly delicious. Thanks!

Katieposted January 8, 2015 at 10:47 pm

How would I make these with a cinnamon sugar topping instead of salt?

• Sallyreplied on January 9th, 2015 at 8:34 am

I would simply mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and sprinkle each unbaked pretzel with it. Instead of an egg, brush with melted butter (about 1/4 cup of it).

John`posted January 13, 2015 at 2:42 pm

The pretzel bites with the cheese sauce are outstanding! The cheese sauce came out a little thicker than I wanted, and not sure how to correct that. More milk?

• Sallyreplied on January 14th, 2015 at 7:33 am

More milk will help, yep!

Michelleposted January 19, 2015 at 2:51 am

I just made these, and they were *wonderful.* I didn’t have any of the problems previous commenters mentioned; they turned out exactly right (even though I was out of parchment paper and used greased foil instead). My husband and I just ate 3/4 of the batch, and most of the cheese sauce!

I’ll definitely be making these again; my husband and I agreed that this is a new favorite!

Anneposted January 25, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Is there another yeast we can use as I cannot get that kind where I live.

Thanks in advance,

• Sallyreplied on January 25th, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Any instant yeast works

• Annereplied on January 26th, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Thank you for the fast reply :) I’ll be able to make these on Super Bowl Sunday. I really like your recipes by the way.

Robertposted January 27, 2015 at 2:57 am

These are great, instead of bites I make full size pretzels though. My only issue is with the bath. I ruined my Calphalon one aluminum pot. It must be some kind of chemical reaction. That would be my only issue. Because I am going full pretzel I also lower the temp a little and bake a little longer. Simply awesome.

Carliviaposted January 30, 2015 at 9:24 pm

OMG these were super easy and AMAZINGLY good! I couldn’t believe I made soft pretzels and they totally blow the the frozen food and snack bar ones out of the water!!! I didn’t do the cheese dip, but the plan is to make these into little bites, and use then with a beer cheddar fondue for a super bowl party. I did use salted butter (it was all I had on hand) and reduced the salt in the recipe to 1/2 a teaspoon and I brushed with melted butter and sprinkled with course sea salt before baking! I’m addicted, these were probably the best pretzel I’ve even had.

Chrisposted February 1, 2015 at 7:49 am

Can you use pre-made store bought dough from your local bakery instead? Just thought it may take out some of the time it would take to make from scratch. Just curious?

• Sallyreplied on February 1st, 2015 at 8:42 am

I’m sure you could, yes.

• Chrisreplied on February 3rd, 2015 at 8:59 am

So, I made these for the Super Bowl using store bought dough to cut some prep time out and they turned out perfect. They were a huge hit!! I Followed your directions to a “T”. I will definitely keep these in my recipe file :)

Emmyposted February 7, 2015 at 6:06 pm

These are wonderful! The first time I made them to go with fondue, they are so easy. The second time I shaped them into about 2×1″ rectangle and stuffed them with cheddar cheese and Sambal( a spicy chili paste!) amazing! Thanks Sally!

Dominique Pposted February 7, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Made these tonight with my toddler and they were AMAZING ! I cannot gt over how deliciously they were and how they rated just like “real” mall pretzels !!! I have made pretzels in the last and had so much trouble trying to boil a wiggly pretzel shape and sometimes they blabbed up or broke in the bath. But the “bites” solved that problem! Next time I will make two batches – they were THAT good ! Thanks for having such straightforward and successful recipes. You’re so talented !!

Megposted February 19, 2015 at 2:39 pm

I want to make these but I only have salted butter… can I substitute that? If so, do I remove the salt?

• Sallyreplied on February 19th, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Yes. Since it is only 1 Tablespoon of salted butter, you do not have to alter the amount of salt in the dough.

Vamaposted March 6, 2015 at 11:40 am

Is it possible to substitute the eggs in the recipe?

Aamenaposted March 29, 2015 at 10:55 am

I made these pretzels today afternoon they looked lovely from the outside( golden brown), but the inside was not soft and a bit raw…I did bake them for the 15 minutes as stated in the recipe though.
    What could have gone wrong?
    Regards ,

Sarahposted April 15, 2015 at 11:55 am

Hi! I’m wanting to make these for a friend’s potluck, but she’s gluten free… do you know if it would be possible to sub brown rice flour and still have similar results?

Allisonposted April 28, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Hey Sally! I’m wondering if you can let the dough rise, shape them into the ball shapes, and then freeze them? If you did that, would you just take them out a day or two before to let them thaw? And then take them out of the fridge an hour or so before to get up to room temp?

• Sallyreplied on May 1st, 2015 at 7:55 am

Hi Allison! Here are freeze instructions for the dough. The prepared pretzel dough (or shaped dough) can be refrigerated for up to one day or frozen in an airtight container for three months. Thaw frozen dough in the refrigerator overnight. Refrigerated dough can be shaped into pretzels while still cold, but allow some extra time for the pretzels to puff up before the baking soda bath and baking.

Marissaposted May 4, 2015 at 1:25 am

I made these for my cousin to take to work as a snack. She loved them so much that she raved about them to her coworkers and brought them the rest! These are just as delicious the next day as they are hot off the pan! Thanks for sharing it.

• Sallyreplied on May 4th, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Thanks for reporting back Marissa!

roger martinezposted May 11, 2015 at 6:03 pm

I did not like them. They’re good, but they aren’t the ones that I was looking for. These taste like the small, crunchy pretzels, that you would buy at the store. I was looking for the soft ones like at Weztel’s Pretzels. They don’t taste bad, but I wasn’t looking for this type of pretzel.

Devinposted July 26, 2015 at 7:15 pm

just made these today with your cheese sauce and OMG! Amazing! Delicious! One of my stepdaughters was totally smitten With them! Ate them right up! I look forward to making these again…..a lot!! Having a girls night soon and I can’t wait to bring these! Thank you! Everything I’ve tried of yours so far is wonderful! This is the first place I check for recipes!

Aimeeposted August 10, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Hi there!  I just wanted to verify that these pretzel bites are wonderful!  I am a caterer, and was recently asked by a Bride to make “Mini pretzel bites.”  I tried this recipe first, and will not need to try any others. I will be making your spicy cheese sauce as well, although not until closer to the end of the week.  I made a honey mustard sauce as well to go with them.
    Thanks for all you do!
    Blessings :)

SJennerposted August 16, 2015 at 5:30 pm

I subbed half of the white flour for wheat flour and they still taste amazing, but they stuck to the parchment paper.  Any ideas?

Cathyposted September 2, 2015 at 5:43 pm

What did I do wrong. Mine turned out bitter ( taste like the baking soda).  Any suggestions?

Erinposted September 7, 2015 at 3:05 pm

I made these today and they were sooo good! Mine only needed 13 minutes but they were perfect! Thanks so much for all the great recipes!

Aprilposted September 23, 2015 at 9:26 am

Hey Sally …I’m trying to make this recipe and wondered if fast rising highly active yeast will work the same as the red star instant that you list on the recipe… The brand I have is from Aldis its bakers corner….and is active dry yeast a different kind too? I just don’t wanna ruin this recipe. Thank you

• Sallyreplied on September 23rd, 2015 at 2:45 pm

April, your yeast will be just fine in this dough. Enjoy!

Miaposted October 31, 2015 at 1:50 am

I was finally able to get around to making these! These are absolutely perfect, Sally!!!

Variposted November 7, 2015 at 7:54 pm

I’ve been following your blog (more like stalking) for the past two weeks and I’ve literally made about 10 of your recipes. All fabulous. As I was waiting for your recipe of The chocolate chip cookie to bake last night, I came across this little gem. I literally just finished making them and have a batch in the oven. Huge, huge win!!! My husband can’t put them down, or the cookies, I might add lol. My next mission is your pie crust and pecan pie. By far, your blog is my favorite!! Thanks so much!!

• Sallyreplied on November 8th, 2015 at 8:29 am

So happy you love these and are enjoying my blog! That pie crust is my absolute favorite.