My Favorite Blueberry Scones.

Tons of juicy blueberries put these homemade scones over the top! They’re super moist and tender in every bite. Better than a bakery, trust me.

These simple Blueberry Scones are super moist and tender in every bite. Better than a bakery, trust me!
Today is my ode to all things blueberry. All the blueberry things in the world.

Blueberry cupcakes, blueberry cakesweet rolls, cheesecake, cheesecake again, danish, muffins, more muffins, even more muffins, pie, and pizza. Yup, pizza. Blueberries are, without a doubt, one of my favorite fruits to bake with. And drink with.

So, uh, you like ’em too… right?

All of my favorite recipes using blueberries. Including cupcake, cakes, pie, muffins, cheesecake, scones, and more!

I’ve been thinking of nothing but blueberry scones since the day I made my strawberry version. I’m a little nerd and a huge scone lover. This is all recent though! Not the nerd thing, the scone thing. I despised scones for years. Too dry, too bland, no thank you. That was up until a few months ago when I visited the Panera bread test kitchen and helped bake moist, tender scones with them. A dream day, for sure.

If done right, scones can melt in your mouth. Soft interiors, crisp edges, flaky, buttery, tender, and moist. Cakey, yet crumbly. Every single amazing baked-good texture in one. Consider me obsessed.

It took me a few tries to develop my scone recipe, but I am confident these will be one of the best scones you’ve ever tasted. They’re my favorite blueberry scones. I also use this recipe (quite similar) to make my chocolate chip scones. You all have been loving those!

The BEST Blueberry Scones - super moist and tender in every bite. Better than a bakery, trust me!

An important thing to note: This is a cream and butter based scone. There are no substitutions for either! Both are so integral to the texture and taste of your finished blueberry scones. Cream makes them unbelievably moist and butter makes them tender and, well, buttery.

A little more on the butter: I much prefer a scone made with frozen butter compared to just cold butter. Why? It’s imperative to use cold butter in this scone recipe because when the little crumbs of butter melt as the scone bakes, they release steam and create little pockets of air – this makes the scones a little airy on the inside while remaining flaky and crisp on the outside. Cold butter isn’t good enough, it must be frozen. Simply place a stick of butter in the freezer for 30 minutes ahead of time.

You may shred the frozen butter with a grater or process a couple times in your food processor. I use 8 Tablespoons in my scone recipe. No more, no less. Sweet buttery perfection between every corner.

Use frozen butter for the most tender, rich scones. Get the recipe for best-ever blueberry scones at

Here’s my trick for light-textured (not heavy!) scones: avoid overworking the dough.

You see, scone dough is fragile. Like muffin batter or cookie dough, try to avoid over-mixing and over-handling. After the flour/butter mixture resembled coarse crumbs, it is time to add your wet ingredients. Fold them in very gently. If you overmix the dough at this point, it will over develop the gluten. Thus resulting in a tough textured scone.

Just wait until you smell these blue and purple beauties baking in the oven. The delivery men came with my new treadmill as I was baking the scones (how ironic? is the world telling me something?) and they go “smells like a damn good bakery in here!”

Little do they know. {insert smirking face here}

The sweet vanilla glaze is the cherry on top. It’s a simple combination of vanilla, confectioners’ sugar, and cream. I went light on the glaze because I didn’t want the flavorful blueberry scone to get lost under it. Instead of the glaze, try a simple dollop of whipped cream, jam, or a sprinkle of confectioners’ sugar.

These fruity blueberry scones are to die for straight out of the oven. The glaze seeps into every warm crack and crevice, making the centers even more tender. “Wow” is usually the simple response I get after the first bite.

My Favorite Blueberry Scones

Yield: 8 scones

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 45 minutes

Tons of juicy blueberries put these homemade scones over the top! They're super moist and tender in every bite. Better than a bakery, trust me.

• 2 cups (250g) all-purpose flour (careful not to overmeasure)
  • 1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
  • 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup (115g) unsalted butter, frozen
  • 1/2 cup (120ml) heavy cream
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 heaping cup (190g) blueberries (fresh or frozen, do not thaw)1
  • coarse sugar for sprinkling on top before baking

• 1 cup (120g) confectioners' sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons (45ml) heavy cream (or half-and-half or milk)
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 400°F (204°C). Adjust baking rack to the middle-low position. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Grate the frozen butter (I used a box grater; a food processor also works - here is the one I own and love). Toss the grated butter into the flour mixture and combine it with a pastry cutter, your fingers, or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk the cream, egg, and vanilla together. Drizzle it over the flour mixture and then toss the mixture together with a rubber spatula until everything appears moistened. Slowly and gently fold in the blueberries. Try your best to not overwork the dough at any point. Dough will be a little wet. Work the dough into a ball with floured hands as best you can and transfer to the prepared baking pan. Press into a neat 8″ disc and cut into 8 equal wedges with a very sharp knife. Top with a sprinkle of coarse sugar. Separate the scones so there is a little space between each one.
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. To make the glaze, simply whisk all of the glaze ingredients together and drizzle lightly over scones right before serving.
  5. Make ahead tip: Scones are best enjoyed right away, though leftover scones keep well at room temperature for 2 extra days. Scones freeze well, up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and heat up to your liking before enjoying.

1. I usually add closer to 1 and 1/4 cups blueberries. You can't go wrong with a little extra!

I adapted this recipe from a combination - both Tyler Florence and The Joy of Cooking.

Try my chocolate chip scones next!

Chocolate Chip Scones by

And these flavor-packed Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones

Sweet Strawberry Lemon Poppy Seed Scones

Be still my blueberry lovin’ heart.

BEST Blueberry Scones recipe by

191 Responses to “My Favorite Blueberry Scones.”

Jessicaposted May 25, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Made these this morning, they turned out amazing. Followed the recipe to a T. Mine needed to stay in the oven about 26 minutes.

So yummy and can’t wait to share. Thank you.

Lilyposted May 30, 2015 at 7:54 am

Would there be any reason that mine spread so much? They seemed to hold together pretty well, and I followed the recipe exactly. Any suggestions for next time??

• Sallyreplied on May 30th, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Hi Lily! Was your butter frozen? Sounds like there was too much liquid and not enough flour.

Olgaposted June 3, 2015 at 1:48 am

I have now made this recipe 5 times. The 1st time my daughter said, “I don’t like blueberries”, when she was done, she wanted to know if she could claim the last one. The blueberries are like little pockets of jam bursting in my mouth, the bread is soft, sweet and buttery. Gratting the butter was an interesting step. Just delicious and so easy to make.

Dannaposted June 8, 2015 at 9:16 am

Best scones ever! We love them.

sjbposted June 10, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Just made these, and the texture is indeed amazing! Fluffy and moist. However –

1) The flavor was VERY baking powder-y/salty. 2 and 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder sounded like too much, but I followed the recipe. I did use less salt than called for, and it’s still so strong,  Almost intolerably so.

2) I slightly undermeasured my flour since you warned about it, but still had to add a splash of extra cream. The recipe should probably call for 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon of cream.

3) 1 cup of fresh blueberries isn’t nearly enough. It comes to about 3 berries per scone. I would recommend doubling the amount of blueberries if you use fresh.

• Colettereplied on July 20th, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Hi SBJ,

not sure why you got a baking powder flavor. Try next time to sift together the flower with the baking powder to make sure it all blends well. As for the blueberries, I guess it all depends on how much of it you want in there. I used 1 cup (a little bit overboard) and it was enough.

Arwenposted June 21, 2015 at 9:57 pm

I made these this evening, and though they didn’t turn out with a scone texture, at least the crumbliness I’m used to, they tasted great. =) My husband preferred the cake texture I ended up with. Let’s hope I make the same mistake next time. lol I’ll be using this again!

Carly Bposted July 1, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Just found this recipe! Quick question… can I freeze the pre-made dough, then bake as needed?

• Sallyreplied on July 2nd, 2015 at 11:39 am

That works, Carly! Freeze up to 2-3 months.

Ashleyposted July 7, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Amazing! I made these blueberry scones this morning and posted them on my blog ( and credited you. My food crush blogger, hah! Now if only I can figure out how you made them into perfect little triangles. Mine are best described as “shapes”… but they’re still insanely delicious.

• Colettereplied on July 20th, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Hi Ashley,
      for the shape, just follow Sally’s directions. After you get all you dough + blueberries shaped into a ball, just place it on your parchment paper and with your hand flatten it until you get a disk of about 8 inches in diameter. Then with a sharp knife cut 8 pieces out – just as you would cut your pizza. Make sure to separate each piece before baking!

debiposted July 10, 2015 at 10:47 am

I m very picky about scones, but I must say, this is now my favorite scone recipe! Thank you!

Coletteposted July 20, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Hi Sally!
    I made these yesterday and they were delicious! I just wanted to thank you for such a wonderful recipe!

Alma Rosa Jiménezposted July 20, 2015 at 11:35 pm

This is seriously the best blueberry scones recipe I have EVER tried … and i always try new recipes every season! … i didn’t have any heavy cream so i used evaporated milk instead and the scones came out just as the ones in the pictures. Thank you very much for sharing.

Tamar Knochelposted July 23, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Are you FREAKING KIDDING ME! These are smack your mama good! Like I made one batch and the next day, I made TWO MORE! Sooooooooo good! I have never had scones this good before! Thank you SO MUCH for sharing this recipe!

Sjhposted July 27, 2015 at 1:34 pm

I made these yummy scones on a parchment lined sheet, shaped into a neat 8 inch disc, like instructions. They flattened and spread out. What did I do wrong?

HeatherCposted August 3, 2015 at 12:06 pm

I was wondering what your thoughts were on using agave nectar instead of granulated sugar. I am dying to make these, but I ran out of sugar! Thank you!

• Sallyreplied on August 3rd, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I’m unsure what the texture will be like using a liquid sweetener. It might be worth a try though, Heather.

• HeatherCreplied on August 3rd, 2015 at 5:29 pm

They just cooled down and my husband and I devoured them. They were so good!! Tho only thing I noticed was some of the insides were more doughy than others, and it’s very cakey, but oh so delicious!! :)

amaliaposted August 7, 2015 at 8:06 am

Hi Sally

i live in the Netherlands and i dont know what to use for HEAVY CREAM. we dont have here these product. Is like cream that you use for making whipped cream or is a sour cream used for culinary pourpose.

• Sallyreplied on August 7th, 2015 at 8:09 am

It’s cream used for whipped cream. Enjoy, Amalia!

Theresaposted August 7, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Instead of grating frozen butter, which has melted somewhat & made a messy glob. I cut a stick of butter in half lengthwise and then crosswise into little cubes. wrap it back up in it’s paper and stick it in a Ziploc bag and freeze it. then just cut it into the flour mixture,(with a pastry blender) till coarse crumbles form. about the size of peas or/& a little smaller. This works great for scones and biscuits.

Sonja L.posted August 22, 2015 at 9:50 am

I just made these yesterday morning. They are delicious. I made them for a rode trip my family and I took and my mother loves blueberry scones. Me, not so much. These won me over. I will be making these regularly with other mix-ins. Thanks for another great recipe.

Patti Sewallposted August 23, 2015 at 5:01 pm

These look wonderful!  I’m going to try them next weekend at a neighborhood brunch.  You mentioned Panera bread test kitchen in your post . . . I would love to have the recipe for their long-ago ham and white cheddar scones.  They were super moist, extremely flavorful, and almost addictive!  Alas, they have been off the menu for several years now.  I’d love it if they brought them back.  Maybe you could put in a good word?

• Sallyreplied on August 23rd, 2015 at 6:13 pm

I’ve never had their ham white cheddar scones! Wow, those sound so so good. If they don’t bring ’em back, maybe I should try to whip up a batch myself!

Sharron Passalposted August 26, 2015 at 3:02 pm

These are the best scones I’ve tasted. Very simple to make and turned out beautifully. Thank you so much for the recipe.

LaShawnda Saulposted September 4, 2015 at 6:11 pm

I have made these bad boys twice and both times they were gone in a matter of minutes. My 13 year old son who hates scones devoured them. My husband couldn’t wait for them to cool down and our 20 month old was a blueberry mess. They are just that good. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• Sallyreplied on September 5th, 2015 at 9:05 am

Ahh! So happy your whole family loves them.

Kimposted September 23, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Hi Sally, Am just wondering if it is possible, or would it be as good, to substitute cherries (dried or fresh?) for the blueberries? Thank you so much!

• Sallyreplied on September 23rd, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Yes, definitely. Either dried or fresh work– whatever you like best. If using fresh, make sure you chop them.

Michelleposted September 25, 2015 at 2:07 am

Hey, Sally. I love your blog, and I’m excited to try my hand at scones and bring them for a rehearsal on Saturday. Can I use frozen blueberries for this recipe? Will it compromise the flavor or will the berries’ color leak into the batter?

Thank you for reading! I’m planning to buy your first cookbook. I’m a little late, but I’ve only started baking for about a month. It’s been two and a half weeks since I discovered your blog and I’m already sold.

• Sallyreplied on September 25th, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Hey Michelle! Thanks for the support and I hope you enjoy my 1st cookbook! It’s great for beginner bakers. You can use frozen blueberries in this scone recipe. No problem at all.

• Michellereplied on September 26th, 2015 at 1:26 am

Thank you so much! :)

Steveposted September 25, 2015 at 5:52 am

The batter wouldn’t come together for me with everything frozen as described.  I had much better results using chilled butter.

Alinaposted October 1, 2015 at 12:23 am

Could you use a cast iron skillet to bake the scones?

• Sallyreplied on October 1st, 2015 at 8:57 am

Yes, definitely. The bake time will be about the same.

Louisposted October 8, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Waiting to make this all week and after I got the dough together, found out my wife ate all the blueberries today! We have raspberries, blackberries and strawberries available, as well as pecans, raisins.
    Ever made these with any of these substitutes?

• Sallyreplied on October 8th, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Yes! I’ve used many, many fruits and other add-ins. All of those berries are great!

Rumiposted October 27, 2015 at 1:46 am

I’ve made your recipe many times with blueberries as well as strawberry and raspberry variations and it’s become my favourite!  So much so that I have all the dry ingredients mixed in a mason jar and butter in the freezer, ready to go at the drop of a hat.
    Regarding grating the butter, I found it works best to grate the butter directly into the flour and toss occasionally as I go so it doesn’t clump.  I sometimes put the dry ingredients in the fridge or freezer for 10 minutes if it’s summer.  If the heat from my fingers makes the butter slippery, I just drop the butter into the flour to coat the outside and continue grating until it’s gone.
    For those experiencing too dry or too wet, the amount of liquid varies in my house with humidity levels.
    Like you, I love the contrasting textures. Thanks for the perfect scone recipe, Sally!

• Sallyreplied on October 27th, 2015 at 6:40 am

Great tips, Rumi! I love your idea of putting the dry ingredients into the fridge if it’s a particularly hot day. I’ve never done that before, but now I will start! Thank you.

Isolda Haedoposted November 21, 2015 at 10:28 am

Thank you !!! Thank you !!!Thank you !!! it´s delicious. i didn´t have fresh arandanos( blue berries) so i  made one big scon and i pulled over the jam. delicious!!!! i´m from Tucumán Argentina.