Classic Peanut Butter Cookies.

These classic peanut butter cookies are always a hit. Easy to make, easier to eat! They’re absolutely our favorite.

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

Peanut butter lovers rejoice! This cookie is for you.

I’ve been feeling a little nostalgic in the kitchen lately. Making recipes that remind me of home, my childhood, just being a fun kid. This recipe follows that trend. I can’t remember a holiday without classic peanut butter cookies.

A plate fulla peanut buttery goodness.

This is my favorite recipe for Classic Peanut Butter Cookies. Easy to make, easier to eat!

I made a huge batch of these classic cookies for this weekend. It was my bachelorette party! About 15 friends, sisters, and future sisters-in-law came over before we went out to dinner and bar hopped and danced all night. The BEST time I’ve had in a long time. After moving and during all this wedding stress, it was much needed.

(The bachelorette and the plate of cookies, of course.)

These peanut butter cookies will melt in your mouth. The edges are chewy, the centers are soft, the tops are crinkly. It is nearly impossible to stop at one. I served hummus & pita chips, a cheese plate, and sangria… and these cookies were the first to go.

I think all dinners should start with a peanut butter cookie appetizer.

It’s a super basic recipe. No frills, nothing fancy. No candy bar pieces, gooey caramel, chocolate chips, or sprinkles to take away from the massive peanut butter flavor. Trust me, you won’t miss any of that stuff! Just pure peanut butter.

The cookies are soft-baked style, unlike traditional crunchy peanut butter cookies. Feel free to bake the batches a minute or two longer to obtain a little crunch. But the softness is what makes them ooooh so good. AND guess what? They stay soft for days and days. I made this batch on Wednesday and the few I have leftover are still just as soft as they were on day 1. Soft cookies > crunchy cookies.

The most important part? Chill your cookie dough! The dough is extremely soft due to the creamy peanut butter, eggs, and butter and if it’s not cold going into the oven, the cookies will spread all over your baking sheet. I chilled this cookie dough for 24 hours and my cookies were soft, thick perfection. I recommend chilling the dough for at least 3 hours.

And yes, the wait is so, so, so worth it.

The classic criss cross pattern imprinted on top may just by my favorite part. I don’t think I could enjoy a peanut butter cookie without it. Ha! Who am I kidding? But the pattern definitely adds to their simple irresistible charm. =)

Classic Peanut Butter Cookies

Yield: 30 cookies

Total Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes

These classic peanut butter cookies are always a hit. Easy to make, easier to eat! They're absolutely our favorite.

• 1 cup (230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature1
  • 1 cup (200g) granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup (150g) packed light brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs, room temperature preferred
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (250g) creamy peanut butter2
  • 3 cups + 2 Tablespoons (391g) all-purpose flour (measured correctly)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup (67g) granulated sugar, for rolling (optional)

1. Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and both sugars together on medium speed until smooth. Add the eggs and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla and peanut butter and mix on high until combined. Set aside.
  2. In a separate bowl, toss the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together. Add to the wet ingredients and mix on low until combined. Dough will be thick, yet very sticky. Cover dough tightly and chill for at least 3 hours (and up to 2 days) in the refrigerator.
  3. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
  4. Roll balls of dough (about 1.5 tablespoons of dough per cookie) and roll into granulated sugar. Place 2 inches apart on the baking sheets. Press fork into the tops to create the criss-cross pattern. Bake for 11 minutes or until very lightly browned on the sides. The centers will look very soft and undone. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. The cookies will continue to "set" on the baking sheet during this time.
  5. Make ahead tip: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can make the cookie dough and chill it in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Allow to come to room temperature and continue with step 3. Baked cookies freeze well - up to three months. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well - up to three months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.

1. Make sure your butter is softened, not melted in the slightest. Do not soften in the microwave - that makes it sort of melty and greasy. Place out 1 hour before beginning. Room temperature eggs are preferred. Good rule of thumb: always use room temperature eggs when using room temperature butter.
  2. Chunky peanut butter works as well. I do not suggest using natural style, oily peanut butter. Brands such as Jif or Skippy work best.

A few more peanut butter faves.

Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Frosting

Banana Cupcakes with Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl Frosting. Super-moist and all your favorite flavors in one!

Peanut Butter Cup Pretzel Cheesecake Bars

Pretzel Crusted Peanut Butter Cheesecake Bars

Chocolate Peanut Butter Lovers Granola

Chocolate Peanut Butter Lovers' Granola - an easy, healthy treat for all of us with a sweet tooth!

4 Ingredient Peanut Butter Fudge

The BEST Peanut Butter Fudge

180 Responses to “Classic Peanut Butter Cookies.”

Vickiposted February 11, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I can’t wait to make these cookies! I love your recipes! So easy to follow and amazing results!

deetzposted February 12, 2015 at 10:49 am

These were absolutely delicious! Soft, chewy, and perfect!

Ellieposted February 12, 2015 at 7:59 pm

i accidentally melted the butter slightly in the microwave… Any suggestions to solving this or am I doomed?

Deborahposted February 21, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Are you going to set up a website for Sally’s Candy Addiction?

Loriposted February 21, 2015 at 4:24 pm

If spring doesn’t come soon my family will be in trouble. Too much cold weather and baking. I made these today and they were wonderful. My whole house smelled of yummy peanut butter!

Julieposted March 1, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Well my all time favorite cookie did not turn out perfect :( I do think my mistake was leaving my butter out too long. I found that when mixing my sugars and butter, it stayed oily and gritty looking. After refrigerating overnight, I ended up with a “bready” texture or maybe a short bread cookie. Maybe my flour measurement was off? Could the too soft butter have been the culprit? Definitely did not end up with a soft chewy cookie.

• Sallyreplied on March 1st, 2015 at 7:59 pm

I fear the butter was much too soft. You should have a creamy butter/sugar mixture after the creaming step. I would also pay attention to your flour measurement as well. Spoon and level; do not scoop your flour.

Deeposted March 4, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Just want to say that I made 6 dozen of these at Christmas. Took them to work. They were gone by noon!!! By popular demand I’m making more for tomorrow hahaha. Rave reviews from co-workers. I think they had cookies for lunch…Thanks for this recipe!

staceyposted March 11, 2015 at 4:58 am

Big gratitude from Russia))
    Amazing cookies!

Teen Bakerposted March 23, 2015 at 11:11 am

I made these yesterday for my brother’s birthday party and they were a big hit. He said (with a mouthful of them) that they were better than the mix, which he loves! My mom gave them two thumbs up (a hard thing to get considering she is so so picky about her pb cookies) and even I was shocked at how awesome they were!

I finally found my favorite pb cookie recipe – thank you, thank you!

Gayatriposted March 23, 2015 at 12:40 pm

These were just perfect!! Soft and chewy perfection :) Thank you for always having the best classic recipes!

janposted March 28, 2015 at 10:38 am

just made these using chunky peanut butter and everyone here is gobbling them up.. lovely.. crunchy on the outside, light and moist inside .. yummm

Candiceposted April 1, 2015 at 12:09 am

Hey Sally!
    I was looking to make these over the weekend but could you help me out with something? I tried one of your other cookie recipes where chilling was mandatory but it was tough to form them after being chilled. Would it be possible to form the balls of dough beforehand and put them on a tray to chill then stick it in the oven and bake it that way? If that works it’d help a lot :) Thanks for the recipes!! These look delicious!

• Sallyreplied on April 1st, 2015 at 8:28 am

Candice, sometimes cookie dough is too soft and sticky to form into balls right after preparing. So, I usually chill the dough as recommended and then let the dough sit out at room temperature for around 20-35 minutes (depending on how much dough I’m working with) to slightly soften. The chilling step helps solidify the dough and allows the flavors in the dough to mingle. Allowing the dough to sit out after chilling and before rolling helps make the dough easier to scoop/handle.

Amatullah Smithposted April 10, 2015 at 10:20 pm

This is my go-to peanut butter cookie recipe. I’ve made them countless times, with success every time! The dough freezes quite well and, though the notes on the recipe advise you to not thaw the dough out, I accidentally did before I read that, and the cookies turned out perfectly. Also, it advises to not soften butter in the microwave, but that’s the way I’ve done it the majority of the time, without the finished product suffering at all. Definitely a five out of five star recipe.

Gabrielleposted April 14, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I made these cookies for bible study last week and they were a hit! Only thing i chabged was that I used crunchy peanut butter. I also refrigerated the dough for 24 hrs. Best PB cookies I’ve ever made!

Erikaposted April 28, 2015 at 7:21 pm

Made these cookies today. Absolutely wonderful combination of texture and flavor! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Salome Ellenposted May 11, 2015 at 4:51 pm

These taste and look great, but I was really surprised by the number of cookies the recipe made. It specifies 1 & 1/2 T per cookie, with a yield of 30. I used my 2T cookie scoop — my husband likes large cookies — and it still made 39. That’s more like 50 cookies at 1 & 1/2 tablespoons per…

Lori Gordonposted June 13, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I just made these today! i am not a fan of jiffy or that other peanut butter but my boyfriend loves jiffy, so i used it in the recipe. Anyways, i put 1 tsp of cinnamon in the mix and omg! SO SO GOOD! this will be my go too cookie recipe…… love love it!

Elisabethposted June 16, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I am having a baking marathon for my boyfriend’s 30th birthday and I’m sure these cookies will be a hit at the party! Some vegan friends are coming too, so I thought I’d try to make this recipe vegan and I am pleased to say that it worked really well. I used natural peanut butter, vegan margarine instead of butter and replaced the eggs with two medium sized ripe mashed bananas. The bananas add to the sweetness, so I added a little bit of lemon juice to the dough as well because I had already put in the sugar and didn’t think of reducing it a bit before. The dough turned out very soft and I chilled it 24h. The cookies just came out of the oven and I am really pleased with the result as I don’t have much experience with vegan baking :) Obviously the taste of the banana comes through but I find it goes well with the peanut butter. I will definitely make them again, both with eggs or vegan!

Kimmyposted June 23, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I’ve made a few other versions and none compare to this one! It was definitely hard to wait the 3 hrs of chilling time, but so worth it. These were a big hit at my house and with my husband’s co-workers. Will be using this recipe from now on! Thanks again!!

Sarahposted July 4, 2015 at 5:50 pm

These were so good! First batch just came out of oven…exactly what I was hoping for. Thank-you!

Justinposted July 24, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Hello Sally,

I have a friend’s birthday coming up and she absolutely loves peanut butter; therefore, I wanted to know how could I turn this recipe into a cookie cake? Is it as simple as baking it in a 9 inch dish or do I have to make some other adjustments to it?

• Sallyreplied on July 25th, 2015 at 8:58 am

Definitely! Bake in a 9×2 inch cake pan or 9-inch springform pan. Unsure about the exact bake time.

Vianeposted August 22, 2015 at 9:56 pm

These cookies are phenomenal…finally found a great recipe for peanut butter cookies after much looking. Baked them for my husband’s birthday and he proclaimed them the best he’s had. I followed the directions as written and they turned out perfect…we like to eat them frozen.

Jennifer Smithposted September 9, 2015 at 9:28 am

The ingredients list calls for 2 eggs, but the instructions say to mix in the egg (singular). I’m not sure if I should add 1or 2 eggs.  Thanks for clarifying.

• Sallyreplied on September 9th, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Sorry about that- yes, it’s 2.

Deannaposted September 10, 2015 at 12:26 am

I love how this is only 4 ingredients. OH MY GOODNESS, SO YUMMY SO EASY.   Why not. Thank you.

Tracyposted September 21, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Wow! I made these last week and have now made 4 batches.. that’s right four. I even made ice cream sandwiches with some that I over baked a little and they were anazing! Thank you so much for this solid recipe!

Sierraposted September 23, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Just made these and added 3/4 cups of bittersweet chocolate chips. I think I’m in love

Sara Foxposted September 26, 2015 at 10:55 am

Would these come out the same way if I were to add chocolate chips or chunks?

• Sallyreplied on September 26th, 2015 at 11:26 am

Yes, definitely. I would add around 1.5 cups.

Asiaposted October 6, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Can these be made without baking powder? I have everything else but that.

Kim W.posted October 7, 2015 at 9:05 am

Hi.  I want to make these today but I only have 1/2 cup of butter in the house…shocking I know!  Can this recipe be halved or made to accommodate the 1/2 cup?

Kristinposted October 9, 2015 at 7:44 am

Made these last night – followed the recipe and measurements exactly and chilled the dough overnight.  I baked them 2 different ways to get soft and semi crunchy. The consistency of the dough was fine but they are just dry cookies .  The recipe has too much flour. In an effort to not waste an entire batch of 35+ cookies I turned them into PB & fluff cookie sandwiches.  Also wish I had added chocolate chips, disappointed :(

Aliposted October 10, 2015 at 4:53 pm

These were amazing!! They did make about 4 doz. with about a 1″ scoop. GREAT COOKIES!

Sadieposted October 17, 2015 at 11:05 pm

I made these today and they were to die for! My sister is vegan, so I substituted the butter with 1/2 cup coconut oil and 1/2 cup earth balance vegan butter. Also substituted the eggs with 2 flax eggs. I alllllsssooo added a little bit of cinnamon to the sugar that the cookies were rolled in because I just couldn’t help it! :p Thanks, Sally! Love this recipe, even if i did make a few changes

Hollyposted October 18, 2015 at 5:43 pm

I was so excited to make these and followed the recipe to a tee.  Unfortunately, they didn’t even taste like peanut butter cookies.  They needed three times the amount of peanut butter.  I had my husband try them and he didn’t like them at all and asked where the peanut butter was.  He thought they tasted more like a sugar cookie! So disappointed as I had high hopes for this recipe.

Farahposted October 25, 2015 at 2:59 am

Wonderful cookies! I made them as directed & chilled overnight. These turned out just as you described. Thanks so much!

Corrinposted October 28, 2015 at 12:09 pm

My dough came out really crumbly, I’m not sure where I went wrong.
    I might try to salvage it by adding more butter and peanut butter D:

chefbrianposted November 13, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Thank you for the courtesy of providing the weights of the ingredients along side the usual “cups & spoons” measurements. It’s high time every home cook graduated past the “Betty Crocker” method of baking and invested in a decent scale and learned to measure things. Would make life a whole lot easier, believe me!

Rachelposted November 13, 2015 at 11:23 pm

This may sound like a dumb question,  but in the ingredient  list it says 1 cup PB and at the end it has a little 2. So is it 1 cup or 2? Thanks

• Sallyreplied on November 14th, 2015 at 10:18 am

The 2 is a superscript for the recipe note below.