Baking Basics: Baking Powder vs Baking Soda.

Become a better baker by learning the real differences between baking powder and baking soda– in easy-to-understand language!

Learn everything you need to know about the differences between baking powder and baking soda. Complete, easy-to-understand details!

Welcome back to my Baking Basics series! In the past few weeks, I had a little logo made. You like? (Thanks Kath!)

Today I’m discussing one of the most confusing subjects in the entire realm of baking. Something that boggles (I accidentally just typed “boogles” ??) the mind of nearly everyone on earth. Or at least those who care. (Me! Me!) What is the difference between baking powder and baking soda? Are they the same? Can I sub one for the other without changing anything else?

If there is one thing that you take away from today’s lesson, let it be this: baking powder and baking soda are absolutely not the same.

Baking powder and baking soda are both leaveners, however they are chemically different.

Looking for the best WordPress hosting for your blog or website? Check out this comprehensive comparison from our friends at WP Site Care.

What is Baking Soda?

Aka bicarbonate of soda or sodium bicarbonate.

Let’s start with baking soda because it’s the most confusing. I’m going to geek out for a sec. First, baking soda is a BASE. Do you remember the science experiment we all did in school? Mixing baking soda with vinegar and watching an eruption of bubbles? Usually we did this in some sort of model volcano contraption. I know you know. When you mix baking soda (BASE) with vinegar (ACID) you get a chemical reaction (an eruption of bubbles!). A product of this reaction is carbon dioxide.

The same exact reaction happens in our cookies, cakes, breads, etc. When a recipe calls for baking soda (BASE), it usually calls for some type of ACID. Like buttermilk, brown sugar, yogurt, lemon juice, vinegar, cream of tartar, molasses, applesauce, natural cocoa powder (not dutch process), or honey. You need this ACID in the recipe to react with the baking soda, which in turn creates carbon dioxide and allows your baked good to rise.

Baking soda is strong. In fact, it is about 3-4x stronger than baking powder. More baking soda in a recipe doesn’t necessarily mean more lift. You want to use *just enough* to react with the amount of acid in the recipe. Too much baking soda and not enough acid means there will be leftover baking soda in the recipe. You do not want that; it creates a metallic, soapy taste in your baked goods. Ick.

Good rule of thumb: I usually use around 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda per 1 cup of flour in a recipe.

Baking soda CAN leaven a baked good when exposed to heat. However, unless it is neutralized with an acid, your finished baked good will likely have a metallic aftertaste– like I mention above. Get it? Got it? Good.

What is Baking Powder?

Baking powder contains baking soda. It is a mixture of baking soda, cream of tartar (a dry acid), and sometimes cornstarch. These days, most baking powder sold is double acting. This means that the first leavening occurs when baking powder gets wet– like when you combine the dry and wet ingredients in the recipe. (This is why you cannot prepare some batters ahead of time to bake later– because the baking powder has already been activated.) The second leavening occurs when the baking powder is heated.

Double (first, second) acting.

Since baking powder already contains an acid to neutralize its baking soda, it is most often used when a recipe does not call for an additional acidic ingredient. Like my sugar cookies. However, this isn’t always the case. You can still use baking powder as the leavening agent in recipes calling for an acidic ingredient. Like my lemon cake. In my recipe development, I based my lemon cake recipe off of my vanilla cake recipe. I used buttermilk (acid) instead of regular milk for added moisture and a little tang and subbed a little brown sugar (acid) for granulated sugar– again, for added moisture. I was pleased with the rise and taste of the cake, so I did not experiment with using baking soda.

I know. It’s definitely confusing.

Good rule of thumb: I usually use around 1 teaspoon of baking powder per 1 cup of flour in a recipe.

Why do some recipes call for both?

Some recipes call for both baking powder and baking soda. These recipes contain some sort of acid (yogurt, brown sugar, etc), however the carbon dioxide created from the acid and baking soda is not enough to leaven the volume of batter in the recipe. That’s why baking powder is used as well– to add necessary lift.

Basically, the reason for both is because sometimes you need more leavening than you have acid available in the recipe. It’s all about balance.

Another reason to use both baking powder and baking soda is because they affect both browning and flavor. Fine Cooking breaks it down easily: let’s take my buttermilk pancake recipe. In my recipe, buttermilk is used partly for its tangy flavor. If we used only baking soda, it could neutralize all of the buttermilk’s acid. And we’d lose that tanginess! However, by including baking powder as well (which has its own acid), some of the buttermilk’s flavor is left behind, and there is still enough leavening for fluffy pancakes.

Yeah. Take a bite outta that.

Simple and FUN Funfetti Buttermilk Pancakes on sallysbakingaddiction.com

How to Substitute

It’s tricky, which is why I never recommend it without background knowledge (and the expectancy that your baked good will not taste as intended).

If you have a recipe calling for baking soda, you might be able to substitute baking powder. However, you will need up to 4x as much baking powder to get the same amount of leavening. And, depending on the recipe, you might end up with a baked good that’s a little bitter with that much baking powder. You can sub baking soda for baking powder only if you increase the amount of acid in the recipe– which likely changes the taste and texture of your baked good. You’d also need less baking soda since it is about 3-4x stronger.

So, uh, just stick to the recipe!

Don’t Forget– They Expire!

I replace my baking powder and soda every 3 months, just to be sure they are always fresh for my recipes. I always date them on the bottom of the container. If you aren’t a baking addict freak like I am, chances are you’ll have to test your baking powder and soda for effectiveness before using.

How To Test Baking Powder

To test baking powder, pour 3 Tablespoons of warm water into a small bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. Give it a light stir. The mixture should moderately fizz if the powder is fresh. If there is no reaction, toss the baking powder and buy a fresh package.

How To Test Baking Soda

To test baking soda, pour 3 Tablespoons of white distilled vinegar into a small bowl. Add 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Give it a light stir. The mixture should rapidly bubble if the soda is fresh. If there is no reaction, toss the baking soda and buy a fresh package.

That’s it for today! Did I completely bore you? Hello?

For anyone still here, don’t forget that baking is CHEMISTRY and it takes practice, trial and error, and the willingness to learn in order to succeed.

Stay tuned for a massively tasty chemistry project tomorrow. Cooooooookies!

Posted in

Comments

1. Jimmy R on August 27, 2017 at 2:16 pm

You are awesome! Not a bore at all. Thank you for your knowledge and insight.

2. bluebear202 on September 11, 2017 at 11:49 am

This really helped me with my science project,thank!

3. Angelique Fouch on September 17, 2017 at 9:54 am

Love this explanation! Was trying to add a leavening agent to my Kodiak pancake mix! Would love them to be more fluffy! Your article totally helps!!

• Misty Lantz on October 29, 2017 at 8:05 am

Are you going to add baking powder or baking soda?

4. PRATEEK DIVAKARAN on September 19, 2017 at 6:23 am

Thanks, Sally! I was very confused. Your article helped me. And, yes it was not at all boring.

5. Emily Polonus on September 22, 2017 at 9:11 am

I super love this kind of nerdy!! Thanks for making it succinct and clear. Also, where did you get your darling measuring spoons that look like “real” spoons?

6. Lily Blaney on October 10, 2017 at 1:20 pm

This is fantastic! Thanks for pulling it all together like this!

7. Oliver on October 11, 2017 at 8:30 pm

Great explanation! I’m teaching in Japan and, for some reason, baking soda is harder to find here than baking powder. I know my students will find this interesting, too!

8. Deja on October 16, 2017 at 12:09 pm

You mentioned  that each of the different leavening ingredients affect browning… But you didn’t go into which causes more browning! Could you expand on that a little bit?

9. Donna. on October 17, 2017 at 11:38 am

I usually start reading posts like this and fade out long before I’m done. Not with your post. Very informative and enjoyable reading! Thanks for the info and the fun.

10. Co on October 17, 2017 at 4:17 pm

That was fascinating, not boring. I only happened to look it up because I couldn’t find my baking powder so used baking soda (recipe came out ok), but it got me to thinking – what IS the difference, anyway? Thanks so much for answering that question in a way a non-chemist-type can understand. I’ll stick to the recipes from now on. 🙂

11. Marilyn Mathes on November 4, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Loved the explanation about baking soda/power. Helps me now make better pancakes as well as other goodies. Thanks so much!!

12. Miss C. Murphy on November 6, 2017 at 11:47 am

Thanks so much for this clear explanation about baking soda and baking powder and how to use them in recipes.

13. al on November 7, 2017 at 11:54 am

Thank you so much for the clarification. Very helpful

14. John L. on November 12, 2017 at 10:19 am

I loved the article. Needed to know how much to use and there is was. When I was in fifth grade we made corn bread as a class lesson. I was supposed to get baking power and got baking soda instead. They didn’t turn out well. Embarrassing !

Now I am looking for a lighter
    outcome for apple fritters. Using granny smith apples. Should be good with baking powder !

15. Erna Thomas on November 18, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Thank you for clarifying…very interesting.  I’ve always been confused and thought they were the same thing but just found an orange and walnut cake recipe in a magazine with both.  Now I know the difference!

16. Louise on November 19, 2017 at 2:14 pm

Excellent article Sally!! 😀 … thanks a lot for the information. Very clear, useful and interesting. Loved it!

17. Lu Tregellas on November 30, 2017 at 11:47 am

I have a “secret” cookie recipe that’s a beloved favorite of all my friends and relatives. It calls for 1 tsp. cream of tartar and 1 tsp. baking soda. There are no acidic ingredients such as buttermilk, lemon, etc. in the recipe — just the usual suspects: oil, butter, flour, eggs, sugar (I do sometimes use 1/2 brown sugar and 1/2 granulated sugar in an attempt to make the cookie chewier, but this doesn’t seem to affect the flavor or rise of the cookies whatsoever) and an assortment of other dry ingredients. These cookies turn out very flat and crispy, similar in texture to a pecan sandie. The are absolutely delicious, but theyare extremely FRAGILE. Can you suggest a way to make the cookies a little chewier and/or less fragile? Everyone loves them just the way they are, but occasionally I’d like to ship them, and, if I don’t go way overboard with the bubble wrap, etc. the recipient winds up with a box full of crumbs! Please use your scientific baking expertise to HELP!

P.S. Less cooking time makes the cookies lose their crispness and they don’t turn that beautiful, enticing golden color.

• Rachel on December 9, 2017 at 7:08 pm

It is hard to make recommendations without seeing pre-existing ratios, but the biggest change I would make is to use less oil (or no oil – that will make them crispy and flat). Also, try adding a bit more flour and keeping cookies shaped in balls. Also, try a lower baking temperature if they are spreading too fast. If you want crispy and chewy in the same cookie, you will have to play around with your pre-existing recipe quite a bit.

• Vickie on December 18, 2017 at 11:01 pm

Everything Rachel is true. You could also try substituting the oil w/ the same amount of shortening or butter. Shortening will help them stay a little chewier and butter a little more crispy. Don’t forget that shortening comes in plain and butter flavor varities. But that affects taste not texture. You might also try baking them at a slightly higher temp (+25 degrees) but for a slightly shorter time. Make sure your cookie sheets are completely cool when you put the next batch on. I hope some of these ideas help. Without an exact recipe it’s hard to give advice on changes. Just keep trying and good luck!

18. Poune Bahrampour on December 8, 2017 at 9:30 pm

This article expanded my baking horizons immensely. Not at all boring! Thank you so much Sally❤❤❤

19. Anna Wright on December 11, 2017 at 2:53 pm

Thank you so much. I have a sugar cookie recipe that I haven’t made for years. I crossed out baking powder and wrote in baking soda for some reason. There is no acid anywhere else in this recipe. So, I just wrote back in baking powder. Lol. I must have substituted it at one time and it worked out okay, but I think I’ll stick with the original recipe. Thank you for your explanation which made perfect sense!

20. Austin on December 21, 2017 at 1:32 pm

Thank you! I never understood it before until now! 🙂

21. Rob Graham on December 30, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Hi Sally – like someone else here I came looking for the solution to a recipe which contained both soda and powder. This is for a gingerbread (1.5 cups flour, nominally 0.5 cups of brown sugar, treacle, syrup and ordinary milk, a beaten egg plus the ginger and a tad salt) – it calls for 0.5 tsp baking soda and 1 tsp baking powder. 350F oven temperature. My mother made this for years, then my wife made it for years and neither of them queried the fact that it always sank slightly – as did my first effort. Not acceptable! So I left out the soda on the grounds of it being to fast acting – and now it rises too far and loses it’s moist texture. What am I best to fiddle with to get the balance right.
    Great article and the chemistry explanationis just right -many thanks

22. Barbara on December 31, 2017 at 4:39 pm

Hello, lol! No you did not bore me. This info was exactly what I needed. I had decided to bake sugar cookies but didn’t know that my baking powder had expired. I even conducted the experiment to verify that it ead stale. No fizz whatsoever. I looked all over to find a recipe that called for soda and not powder. I had decided to make brown sugar cookies instead, even though that’s not what I wanted. Fortunately my husband decided to run out to Walmart so when he gets back I’ll be all set!

23. Alyssa Salwen on April 30, 2018 at 11:59 pm

Not at all boring for an OCD nerd like me! Just because I’m terrible at math doesn’t mean that I suck at science! Your explanations really help clarify the mysteries. So, thank you! As a former pro chef, I am constantly developing new recipes and experimenting with new ingredients, both in cooking and baking, to achieve perfection (to my taste, anyway). I salivate over your recipes, but when sugar is not chemically necessary to provide structure, I often sub with Pyure (stevia and erythritol) and/or Swerve confectioners style because I try to limit my sugar consumption—I am a total addict when it comes to desserts.

24. Lea on May 14, 2018 at 10:18 am

Hi, thank you for a great article. It helped me to master my gluten-free scone recipes. Now I have two perfect scone recipes – first using baking powder and milk and another one with baking soda and yoghurt and both are just perfect!

25. Sandra on May 24, 2018 at 6:14 pm

Great explanation! A quick comment–you don’t need to toss your old baking powder and baking soda. Both are still good as cleaning products. I use my old baking soda to get tea and other stains off of my dishes and to scour baking sheets with baked on grease. Even old baking powder can be used to clean pots and pans with the addition of a bit of vinegar. Waste not!

• Sally on May 25, 2018 at 12:15 pm

Thanks for the great tip, Sandra!!

• Nadia on May 26, 2018 at 2:08 pm

Sandra,
      Would that work even if the baking soda is three years old?
      I dont want to go through the process if it wont work.
      Nadia