How to Make Stuffed Crust Pizza

Try making Chicago-style deep dish pizza next!

How to make stuffed crust cheese pepperoni pizza on sallysbakingaddiction.com EASY homemade pizza crust!

And for this month’s savory recipe: we’re going ALL IN. And by that I mean cheese ALL INside pizza crust.

Stuffed crust pizza. This is the real deal. The high and mighty. The most mouthwatering of all pizza pies overflowing with melty cheese and testing your every last ounce of self control. We’re using a trusty homemade dough and some basic pizza toppings but you can go hog wild. I have a feeling Hawaiian or BBQ chicken would be A+ with this stuffed pizza crust.

Are you a crust person? I’m a crust person. Who are these people who just leave the leftover pizza crusts on their plates? Well, actually, thanks because I’ll gladly take that crust off your hands. Pizza would be nothing without its crust foundation it’s complete MADNESS you’d pass up on those extra carbs! And today’s recipe is for crust people. If you’re not really a crust person, you’ve gotta be a cheese person. Don’t fret because today’s recipe is for cheese people too. What a weird sentence…?

I have a photo tutorial for you! Eventually, I hope to add a video to this post just so you can see how EASY making stuffed crust pizza at home really is.

Let’s get started. (Old photo alert! ↓)

Stuffed crust pizza on sallysbakingaddiction.com

It all begins with pizza dough. Now you can definitely use store-bought here, but I urge you to give homemade a try. I have both a regular pizza dough recipe and a whole wheat pizza dough recipe. You can use either for this stuffed crust pizza. This dough is super stretchy and soft, which is exactly the kind you need for assembling a stuffed pizza crust.

Shortcut alert! Use string cheese. I know it sounds weird, but I swear by this little hack! The perfect shape, width, and texture for creating those melty cheese pockets inside the pizza crust. If string cheese isn’t your thing, create thin piles of shredded mozzarella  or cut fresh mozzarella into thin pieces to line around the edges.

But again, string cheese is the easiest. You’ll need 7 of them.

Stuffed crust pizza on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Here’s the part that can make or break your stuffed crust pizza. Make sure you tuck it into the crust super tight– like I’m doing above. Fold the edges over the crust and firmly press down to seal shut. Any gaps won’t necessarily be a problem, but the cheese will melt out onto the pizza and not stay inside the crust. Just keep working with it to make sure the edges are folded over and snug shut.

The only things breaking open that cheesy stuffed crust are a pizza cutter and your big giant bite! And yes, it really is this easy to create stuffed crust pizza at home.

Stuffed crust pizza on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Because of the string cheese, the pizza won’t really be perfectly round. Rather, more like a heptagon with 7 sides. (Yep, had to google the name of that one.)

Add your favorite toppings. Can’t go wrong with tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and lotsa pepperoni. But my favorite favorite favorite topping combo is definitely next: caramelized apple & gorgonzola!

Couldn’t wait until Friday to share it with you. Make pizza night TONIGHT.

PS: And since tomorrow is St. Patrick’s Day, we’ve been snacking on this super simple Irish soda bread all week. My grandmother’s recipe! What are you making for St. Patrick’s Day? Lucky charms bark perhaps? Here are 7 St Patrick’s Day recipes if you need inspiration. 🙂

Stuffed Crust Pizza

Ingredients:

• 1/2 recipe homemade pizza crust 1
  • 7 string cheeses, unwrapped2
  • 1/2 cup (127g) pizza sauce, or more depending how much you like (homemade or store-bought)
  • 1 and 1/2 cups (6oz or 168g) shredded mozzarella cheese
  • big handful pepperoni (or any other toppings you like)
  • optional: Italian seasoning blend or dried basil for sprinkling on top

Directions:

1. Prepare the pizza dough through step 10, including preheating the oven to 475°F (246°C) as described in step 8.
  2. Lift the edge of the dough up to create a lip around the edges. Arrange the string cheese around the edges of the crust, leaving a 3/4 inch space. Fold the edges of the dough over the string cheese, pinching down to seal. Do your best to completely seal the string cheeses inside. Let the dough rest for a couple minutes if you're having trouble sealing it completely.
  3. Top with pizza sauce, the mozzarella cheese, then the pepperoni. Sprinkle lightly with seasoning.
  4. Bake for 14-16 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned and the cheese is bubbling. For the last minute, I move the oven rack to the top rack to really brown the edges. That's optional. Remove from the oven. Slice pizza and serve immediately.
  5. Store leftover pizza covered tightly in the refrigerator and reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices can be frozen up to 1 month.

Make ahead tip: see homemade pizza crust recipe for how to make ahead and freeze the pizza dough.

Recipe Notes:

1. That pizza crust recipe makes 2 pizzas. So you can freeze the other half of dough or make 2 pizzas. Double all of the topping/string cheese in this recipe if making 2 pizzas.
  2. Instead of string cheese, you can try piling a ring of shredded mozzarella around the dough or half slices of fresh mozzarella. String cheese is easiest; it's the perfect size and shape.

Feel free to use my whole wheat pizza crust recipe instead. You'll have to halve the whole wheat pizza dough recipe to make only 1 pizza crust.

Did you make a recipe?

Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.

SHOP THE RECIPE

Here are some items I used to make today’s recipe.

KitchenAid Stand Mixer | Dough HookString Cheese | Pizza Crisper Pan | Pizza Stone

Follow up pizza dinner with chocolate chip cookie pizza for dessert!

That easy recipe for classic chocolate chip cookie pizza! Makes a giant cookie pizza perfect for sharing. Recipe on sallysbakingaddiction.com

Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pays me a small commission for my referral at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Sally’s Baking Addiction.

Comments

1. Gayatri on March 16, 2017 at 2:38 am

This looks so ridiculously good, Sally!! Definitely gonna try it very soon 🙂 Your pizza dough always turns out so great!

2. Sina on March 16, 2017 at 5:57 am

Ok, now I have to make pizza today – thank you for the inspiration!
    Although I don’t know if I ever saw something like “string cheese” over here in Germany. I do know a russian version which is smoked (delicious!) and also a turkish one, but they do look different from yours. I think I’ll give cheese cut into small sticks a try.

• Sally on March 16, 2017 at 10:47 am

Any cheese cut into similar shapes would absolutely work!

• Sina on March 23, 2017 at 4:06 am

Made it the other day – totally awesome! The technique worked wonderfully 🙂

• Sally on March 23, 2017 at 12:55 pm

Yay! So happy you like it too!

3. Patricia @Sweet and Strong on March 16, 2017 at 7:16 am

Oh Yum, I just love your savory recipes, so many good ideas.  And I love making my own dough at home I think it tastes SO much better!  WIhave a pizza stone, but sometimes the middle still is doughy.  Does a pizza pan work better?

4. Sara @ Last Night's Feast on March 16, 2017 at 8:55 am

Really good tutorial! I don’t know if it’s safe for me to make stuffed crust pizza at home because I’d being doing it like every day.

5. Roseanne on March 16, 2017 at 10:19 am

What a fabulous way to start the day . . . being hungry for pizza at 9am. WOW – I never imagined it was that easy to make a stuffed-crust pizza. Holy cow, and the cheese stick shortcut hack is beyond great. Love it. I think homemade pizza tomorrow night would actually be in my future if it weren’t for the release of Beauty and the Beast remake, so Saturday it is. Thanks for sharing with us Sally!

• Sally on March 16, 2017 at 10:46 am

I want to go see that this weekend!!

• M on March 16, 2017 at 11:46 am

Thats two of us hungry for pizza at 9 am. I was wondering what I’d make for dinner today, and here it is! Or maybe this will be lunch.. or brunch…

• Sally on March 17, 2017 at 9:21 am

Pizza brunch!!! 😉

6. Aimee on March 16, 2017 at 10:22 am

I’m a crust person too…I will gladly eat the leftover crusts sitting on my friend’s plate. That is, if I can get them before the dog snatches them.

This looks delicious Sally! I’ll have to try some homemade pizza soon!

7. Ann on March 16, 2017 at 10:55 am

Definitely will be making this soon. Love the idea of using string cheese. Thanks for another great recipe.

8. Dawn - Girl Heart Food on March 16, 2017 at 11:32 am

I make homemade pizza pretty regularly and, of course, love it, especially on the weekend. I remember a loooooong time ago before my pizza making days getting take out pizza with a stuffed crust and it was delicious. Gonna to have to give this a try. I mean, more cheese on pizza (or in the crust I should say). How could I go wrong? Looks fabulous!! Pinned! Have a great weekend 🙂

• Sally on March 17, 2017 at 9:24 am

Hope you try this one, Dawn!

9. Hayley on March 16, 2017 at 11:42 am

Is it just me or does stuffed crust pizza from pizza places taste like kind of chalky and fake? I’m sure the DIY version tastes way better and it looks fun to make too! Gotta try it soon for pizza night around here 🙂

10. Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen on March 16, 2017 at 11:53 am

I’ve never been brave enough to attempt stuffed crust pizza because I have a feeling I’d eat the whole thing. By myself. . .and probably in one sitting.  But now I’m hungry so I’ll probably have to try it!  🙂

• Sally on March 16, 2017 at 12:02 pm

The dough recipe makes 2 pizzas so you can freeze one for another time and not bake the entire recipe at once! Or invite some hungry friends over 🙂

11. Allison on March 16, 2017 at 1:46 pm

My husband LOVES stuffed crust pizza! I’m going to earn some major wife points when I suggest this recipe for dinner this weekend! We love to cook together, and this looks so fun to make. Thanks, Sally!

xx Allison
    alwayseatdessert.com

• Sally on March 17, 2017 at 9:19 am

I can say from experience… that husbands DO lose their heads over this. Haha we both loved it. Certainly a once in awhile treat but it’s pretty awesome you can make stuffed crust at home instead of relying on delivery.

12. Adrianne on March 16, 2017 at 2:04 pm

If you freeze (or partially freeze) the string cheese it will keep it from losing so much of its shape and melting out flat. Should be able to get warm enough to melt still 🙂

• Sally on March 17, 2017 at 9:17 am

Great tip!

13. Laura | Tutti Dolci on March 16, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Now this is one killer looking pizza, just in time for the weekend! 🙂

14. Lincoln @ LincsFlavours on March 16, 2017 at 5:25 pm

I have a pizza oven so often make pizzas. I like the idea of putting cheese into the crust and I will certainly be giving it a try soon.

Thanks for sharing.

15. Rashmi on March 17, 2017 at 2:43 am

MY WORD SALLY, you have left me gobsmacked! This is one mouth water, delicious recipe. I don’t think we get string cheese here in South Africa, but I would love it. Your recipes are out of this world AHHHHMAAAZZZINNNNGGGG!!!

• Sally on March 17, 2017 at 9:11 am

Slicing cheese into stick-like shapes would work if you want to give it a go!

16. Christine on March 17, 2017 at 11:54 am

THIS is awesome! I am slobbering and laughing at the same time…genius! Tomorrow night is pizza night too.

Going to visit my mom (and nephew) next week. Nephew is already requesting my homemade ice cream sandwiches made with your thick and chewy chocolate chip cookies. They have now become LEGEND. 🙂

17. Janice on March 17, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Hello! I just finished the dough and it took almost 1/2 cup more flour to get the dough to stop being a sticky mess and into something I could knead. The dough seemed fine once it stopped being sticky and kneaded beautifully. Is this simply because of environmental factors? (The weather is dry even though there’s a few inches of snow in the ground.) Will this affect the finished pie? Thanks for your help.

• Sally on March 18, 2017 at 2:33 pm

Pizza will still be excellent. I have to add more/less flour sometimes too. 1/2 cup isn’t anything to be worried about. Hope you enjoyed it!

18. Sharon K (The Farm Chick Bakes) on March 17, 2017 at 6:19 pm

Hi Sally! Wow….I’m am 100,000% a CRUST gal. I know some think their pizza is el grosso but I LOVE Pizza Hut’s Pizza because of the crust! Love crust! And what a fantastic trick with the String Cheese (I’m a huge cheese lover too). I just want to clarify that when you say tuck ‘it’ under tightly you mean the cheese sticks get tucked under the crust tightly….so you’re folding the crust over the string cheese pieces, correct? CANNOT wait to try this! My mouth is watering! Have a great weekend.

19. Kylie H. on March 18, 2017 at 12:46 am

So I have to admit, I’m not usually a huge pizza person (I know! I know!) but I made this tonight and I’m on my fourth piece with no regrets. I love all of your recipes, literally every one I’ve tried as been amazing and I’ve tried a lot. Thanks for always providing quality recipes that I know will work.

• Sally on March 18, 2017 at 2:26 pm

Thank you for reporting back about the stuffed crust pizza!

20. Christina @TravelingwithThyme on March 20, 2017 at 8:51 am

I’m a sucker for stuffed crust pizza. I actually never thought to make it myself at home!

21. Ena Cheung on May 3, 2017 at 7:57 am

Hey Sally 🙂
    I just wanted to say THANK YOU! Your site has been such a great help to me especially since I live in China and Pintrest and other really awesome websites are blocked 🙁 HAHA Nevertheless, i feel really grateful to have found your website! I’ve tried many of your cookie recipes and I finally tried your PIZZA CRUST recipe today! WOOH! Did it turn out GREAT 😀 Thanks so much again, and I look forward to more of your amazing and inspiring recipes!

• Sally on May 4, 2017 at 3:59 pm

So happy you enjoy the pizza crust!!

22. moh @real recipe on September 16, 2017 at 3:46 am

I’ve been on a search trying many to find the perfect homemade pizza dough. Thanks so much for the great recipe. It’s a keeper!

23. Mariam on October 1, 2017 at 1:30 am

Hello Sally,
    do you use full fat or low fat mozzarella cheese to top your pizza? i’m asking because sometimes cheese melts weirdly/unevenly for me.

• Sally on October 1, 2017 at 8:23 am

I typically use full fat.

• Mariam on October 1, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Thank you. And which string cheese do you usually use?

24. Nabdl on June 9, 2018 at 6:09 pm

25. James Kanyi on July 14, 2018 at 6:58 pm

I’m I the only one having a hard time sliding pizza off the peel?

Reviews