May Baking Challenge
I hope your weekend has been all sorts of magical! And hopefully you baked up something magical too.
I worked Friday and Saturday to get ahead on blog content and today I have a baby shower for my dear friend Katie. I’ve never been more excited for a shower! Looking forward to chatting with other moms and getting some baby registry inspiration and advice. Because let’s face it: all the baby gear is overwhelming as a new parent!
But right now, let’s get down to delicious business. Tomorrow is May 1st and you know what that means! May Baking Challenge. 🙂
Let’s review what I’m talking about.
What is the Baking Challenge?
- On the 1st of every month, I post a new recipe complete with a quick how-to video, plenty of tips, tricks, and photos.
- I want you to bake the recipe yourself during that month! Come back and tell me how it went.
- If you’d like, share your photos throughout the month using #sallysbakingchallenge on Instagram or email me, tweet me, or upload a photo of your recipe to my Facebook page. I want you all involved!
- If you don’t like a particular flavor in that month’s recipe, there will be an alternate Monthly Baking Challenge recipe.
Let’s Recap April
Recipe: Two-Toned Frosting Roses
April’s baking challenge was how to pipe two-toned frosting roses. And MAN was I blown away by the response this month! I’ve never seen more beautiful cake and cupcake decorating artwork in my life. You all have some major talent! Browsing through the hashtag on Instagram, I’m in awe staring at your rose decorated confections. Many of you used Easter as the opportunity to master two-toned roses while others simply shared their work throughout the month– or even two-toned roses they’ve piped in the past. I hope April’s baking challenge inspired you with a new skill or, if frosting decoration was already your thing, enjoyed the process. Check out all the photos using #sallysbakingchallenge hashtag on Instagram! Plus, here are even more:
Inspiring, isn’t it?
May Baking Challenge
I actually went back and forth several times on what May’s baking challenge will be. At first I leaned toward cookies but realized they’d be a little too easy. (I’ll post the cookies later this month!) Instead, we’re going to make deliciously moist and airy sponge cake… cake roll style. This is such a beautiful cake and I adore the sponge cake texture. I’m going to walk you through the process with plenty of step-by-step pictures so you feel comfortable making a cake roll in your own kitchen. The new recipe will be published on my blog tomorrow, May 1st. Since I kept changing my mind about May’s recipe, we don’t have a video ready for tomorrow. However, I’ll share a video on social media later this month and add it to the post. 🙂
If you want to be prepared, here are the items you need.
- 10×15 inch jelly roll pan (the ONLY size that will work for the recipe)
- some sort of sifter for confectioners’ sugar
- thin kitchen towel for rolling up
- electric mixer
Come back tomorrow for the recipe, tutorial, and the alternate May recipe if you’d rather skip a cake roll. See you soon!
With kitchen-tested quality recipes and step-by-step tutorials, my goal is to give you the confidence to bake and cook from scratch.