I’ve been yearning to make a completely new pizza recipe for weeks. Something I’ve never made before– not the typical Hawaiian, gorgonzola apple (fave!), or BBQ chicken that graces our table every Friday night. No, no. Something unique to us with fresh flavors and lots of cheese. Of course cheese.
This roasted garlic chicken pesto pizza came to me when we were out to dinner the other week. I ordered a mushroom and pesto flatbread and had an OMG moment (you know the kind) and the next day I made my favorite homemade pesto, combined it with leftover chicken, mozzarella cheese, my easy pizza dough, and enough roasted garlic to keep my breath… aromatic.
The resulting pizza was all sorts of green and fabulous.
Even Kevin, notorious for “just plain cheese pizza please,” loved it. I think what really makes the pizza so special is the homemade basil pesto and all the roasted garlic rubbed on the pizza crust. Your breath will be amazing and you’re welcome.
Speaking of homemade basil pesto, here is a 2nd post I created detailing exactly how I make it. Two posts in one today, everyone!
PS: you need roasted garlic for the pizza and the homemade pesto, so make sure you have enough. And you can thank me later for how amazing your kitchen will smell. I’m convinced there is no greater smell than roasting garlic in the oven. Maybe homemade brownies. Maybe.
Homemade Pizza Dough
Let’s talk homemade pizza crust. I’ve been making this pizza dough every week for the past 3 years. And there’s many reasons why I always go back to it:
- The recipe is perfect for bread beginners
- Only 6 ingredients required
- Most of the time is hands-off
- Crisp edges & fluffy interior
- So, so flavorful.
It’s simply the best homemade pizza crust. I always use Red Star Platinum in my pizza dough because I have the best results when I use this yeast. The Platinum line is fantastic; its careful formula strengthens your dough and makes making working with yeast simple. For this pizza dough, I use only enough yeast to get the job done; I do not like pizza dough to taste “yeasty.” (Professional terms here, of course.)
Homemade Pizza Dough Video Tutorial
If you like pesto and you like pizza… and don’t mind a little roasted garlic on your breath… then you have to try my new pizza recipe. Nothin’ but simple, fresh ingredients mingling together to produce a pizza that is anything but ordinary!
Roasted Garlic Chicken Pesto Pizza
My pizza dough recipe makes enough for two 12-inch pizzas. Toppings listed are enough for one 12-inch pizza. Freeze the rest of the pizza dough for another time.
- 1/2 recipe homemade pizza dough
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2-3 cloves roasted garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Homemade Basil Pesto (or variations listed in that recipe or store-bought)
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken breast (about one 8-ounce breast)
- 1 and 1/2 cups (6oz or 168g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- optional: fresh basil for topping
- Prepare pizza dough through step 5, including preheating the oven to 475°F (246°C). Cover the shaped dough lightly with plastic wrap and allow it to rest as the oven preheats.
- To prevent the pizza toppings from making your pizza crust soggy, brush the shaped dough lightly with olive oil. Using your fingers, push dents into the surface of the dough to prevent bubbling. Top the dough evenly with garlic, then spread the pesto on top. Add the chicken then sprinkle on the cheese.
- Bake pizza for 12-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil, if desired. Slice hot pizza and serve immediately.
- Cover leftover pizza tightly and store in the refrigerator. Reheat as you prefer. Baked pizza slices can be frozen up to 3 months. See pizza crust recipe for instructions on freezing the pizza dough.
- If not using an instant yeast, rise time may be up to 40% longer.
Did you make a recipe?
Tag @sallysbakeblog on Instagram and hashtag it #sallysbakingaddiction.
Try my Spinach Artichoke Pizza next!