A rich brownie layer, topped with peanut butter cups and a peanut butter fudge crispy layer on top.
Begin with a dense chocolate brownie base. My homemade brownie recipe is your standard fudgy, chewy brownie. Tastes like fudge and chocolate frosting in one.
You can always use a boxed brownie mix for the bottom layer. Whatever floats your boat.
Next, we have a shower of chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups (or mini Reese’s cups, whichever you prefer) and salty peanuts. The peanuts are amazing—they give each bite a nice crunch. Plus, WHO doesn’t love salty & sweet?!
For the top layer… my personal favorite… a melty mess of peanut butter, chocolate chips, and Rice Krispies. I couldn’t stop “tasting” this layer.
A rich brownie layer topped with peanut butter cups and a peanut butter fudge crispy layer on top.
Homemade Fudgy Brownie Layer
(or use your favorite boxed brownie mix)
- 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp; 113g) salted butter
- 8 ounces coarsely chopped bittersweet (or semi-sweet) chocolate (I used two 4 oz Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Bars)
- 1 and 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (spooned & leveled)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup salted peanuts
- 8 full size Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 and 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 and 1/2 cup Rice Krispies cereal
- If using a boxed brownie mix, prepare the brownie layer according to packaged directions. Bake the brownies for 5 minutes less than the recipe states. Skip down to #3.
- If using my homemade fudgy brownie recipe: preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Generously spray an 11×7-inch baking pan with cooking spray or line with aluminum foil. Set aside. Melt butter and semi-sweet chocolate in a medium saucepan on medium heat, stirring constantly (about 6 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add in the eggs one at a time, whisking until smooth after each addition. Whisk in the vanilla. Gently fold in the flour and salt. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with a knife. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove brownies from the oven and sprinkle the top with the peanuts and chopped peanut butter cups. Return to the oven and bake for 5 additional minutes.
- While the brownies are finishing up in the oven, melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the Rice Krispies cereal until evenly coated. Remove the brownies from the oven and pour the chocolate and peanut butter mixture over top. Spread to cover evenly. Refrigerate for 2 hours before cutting into 24 squares. Cover tightly and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Keywords: peanut butter brownies, peanut butter cup brownies